HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What moves do you think need to be made to put the Kings over the top?

Old
10-21-2011, 02:42 PM
rajuabju

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Can you just stop already? The power play looked drastically better these first 6 games than it did all of last season. There is so much more movement and they are generating so many more chances. If they average scoring one power play goal per game, they will be in the upper echelon as far as power play percentages go.
Thats because of the awesomeness of Richards on the 1st PP and Gagne on the 2nd PP.

I'd still prefer to get rid of Kompon.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Dude, chill out. Penner made a concerted effort to hustle at both ends of the rink each of the last two games. He played just fine. You might want to step off the ledge as far as Penner is concerned.
He could have easily had a multi point night. He made a great pass across to Gagne or Brown that Mike Brown made a great save on. He had an injury early, but I'm starting to see the Penner that I saw the first couple days of camp.

I'm also pretty sure he's already thrown more checks and used his body more than he did all of last season with the Kings.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
Thats because of the awesomeness of Richards on the 1st PP and Gagne on the 2nd PP.

But it's not as though the other players are doing the exact same thing as last season. They are actually moving and interchanging positions.

Do people here even remember that the Kings had the 7th best power play at 20.8% two seasons ago with Kompon as the power play coach?

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:48 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

I'm still not sure it's Kompon's fault that Kopitar spent most PPs last season with his ass glued to the half-wall.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I'm still not sure it's Kompon's fault that Kopitar spent most PPs last season with his ass glued to the half-wall.
It is when Kompon doesn't coach him to get his ass off the half-wall.

If a player continually doesn't do what the coach wants, how is that not the coach's fault? So, either Kopitar was doing what Kompon wanted or he failed to get his player to listen. Which is worse to you? I would go with the player not listening to the coach.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
He could have easily had a multi point night. He made a great pass across to Gagne or Brown that Mike Brown made a great save on. He had an injury early, but I'm starting to see the Penner that I saw the first couple days of camp.

I'm also pretty sure he's already thrown more checks and used his body more than he did all of last season with the Kings.
People get mad at him because he just looks slow and lumbering out there, but that will never change no matter how amazing of shape he is in. His body build lends itself towards looking slow and lumbering when he's skating.

If people will just accept the fact that he'll never be an amazingly fast skater and notice that he's moving his feet and being more active than he was last season, they will be much happier and less impulsive about throwing him under the bus. He keeps playing like he has the previous two games, and it's only a matter of time until he starts putting points on the board.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Kingurentai

I say we should see what happens with what we have, unless a "must make deal" (like Bernier+ for Parise etc) comes at the trade deadline. I'm seeing vast improvements in a lot of players already and don't see why that is going to stop soon.

I think many people are going to change their tune about Penner as we get into the season. Penner is ALWAYS going to look bad in some eyes because of his size. He's never going to look like he's hustling, even when he is. [I didn't see Chazz's post before posting this] But the one backcheck last night late in his shift was a good example. He put his head down and skated back to stay on the man. SUre he looked slow and on his last breath, but he got the job done. He failed to do that a lot last year.

Offensively, his chances and payoff will come soon. The guy is undeniably talented but obviously still has some confidence issues. I think once he pots a few and the scrutiny is lifted, he will be very effective.

As for signing him next season, it'll depend on what we have/can get/what he wants.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:52 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Iginla, Clutterbuck or Parise would be amazing, but very unlikely to happen for different reasons.

What about... Daniel Alfredsson. Yes, I know he's 38 going on 39, but still, maybe Ottawa considers moving him to give him a shot at winning a cup since I think the Sens are going no where this year. I believe he has 1 more year on his contract, so the cap hit would hurt, but we might be able to get him for not much more than a pick or mid-level prospect if the Sens want to salary dump.
Likely would cost more than you think but I agree, he would be a nice fit on this team.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint47 View Post
We might not have to make any moves for the team to be upgraded. If Hunter can gain health/confidence and play like he's capable of playing, IMO he's the perfect 3rd line RW for this team. It is a pretty big if though.

Gagne - Kopitar -Williams
Penner - Richards - Brown
Richardson - Stoll - Hunter
Clifford - Lewis - Moreau
I still like:

Gagne - Kopitar -Williams
Penner - Richards - Brown
Moreau-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Richardson-Hunter/Westgarth

Speaking of Penner, did everyone miss that stutter step move in the first? That was explosive and he generated a good scoring chance by himself.

Old
10-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
But that was the easiest spot for him to lob one-timers over to the guy we ran our PP through the past two years.

The addition of Richards and Johnson and the subtraction of Stoll and Smyth have been the biggest reason that the PP has looked so much better this season.

The Kings actually have good players on the PP now.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
It is when Kompon doesn't coach him to get his ass off the half-wall.

If a player continually doesn't do what the coach wants, how is that not the coach's fault? So, either Kopitar was doing what Kompon wanted or he failed to get his player to listen. Which is worse to you? I would go with the player not listening to the coach.
That is likely why Williams was moved to the half-wall later in the season last year.

They gave Kopitar every opportunity to get "it", but he never seemed to be decisive enough or the hockey sense to do run the PP from the half-wall. You can't expect a player to have every click right away, and it's not like Kopitar didn't experience some success on the half-wall from time to time.

Old
10-21-2011, 03:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
But that was the easiest spot for him to lob one-timers over to the guy we ran our PP through the past two years.

The addition of Richards and Johnson and the subtraction of Stoll and Smyth have been the biggest reason that the PP has looked so much better this season.

The Kings actually have good players on the PP now.
Better players make coaches better coaches every time.

Old
10-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Better players make coaches better coaches every time.
Exactly.

But I still have no idea why they ran the PP through Stoll for so long. Would seriously love to ask Kompon the reasoning behind that. Especially in keeping JJ on the bench. I realize he is always open for the shot, but that makes sense because if you have two defenders up high and the 3 Kings to defend are Kopi, Doughty and Stoll it's a no-brainer who you are going to make beat you, but still. It was just so frustrating knowing exactly what our PP was going to do for 3 straight seasons. It was so predictable and thats why it was so bad last year.

It's honestly one of the most baffling decisions I've seen a Kings staff make, and that's saying a lot.

Old
10-21-2011, 03:40 PM
DeeMeck

Doughty for St. Louis and Hedman.

forgot the

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:45 PM
johnjm22

The Kings still need secondary scoring. We only have one scoring line right now.

I don't recall any team winning a SC without a 2nd line contributing on the score sheet.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
The Kings still need secondary scoring. We only have one scoring line right now. I don't recall any team winning a SC without a 2nd line contributing on the score sheet.
I think you meant to say that the Kings only have one line scoring right now. I don't know how anyone can say that Penner-Richards-Brown is not a scoring line.

Old
10-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Kingsfan1

I don't think Dean will go for Iggy because he has a 7 million dollar cap hit and that will be hard to fit in and against what Dean believes in which is cap flexibility

As for Parise I don't see Dean dealing with Meehan so doubt it unless it's as a free agent

I'd love Shane Doan on this team , brings same intangibles as Iggy who o love but costs less and has a friendlier cap hit. But I also don't see Phoenix dealing him within their division but you never know.

As for others Dean might be interested in we will have a better feel as more games are played because as of now I don't think anyone is availAble just yet

Kingsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:05 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
I don't think Dean will go for Iggy because he has a 7 million dollar cap hit and that will be hard to fit in and against what Dean believes in which is cap flexibility

As for Parise I don't see Dean dealing with Meehan so doubt it unless it's as a free agent

I'd love Shane Doan on this team , brings same intangibles as Iggy who o love but costs less and has a friendlier cap hit. But I also don't see Phoenix dealing him within their division but you never know.

As for others Dean might be interested in we will have a better feel as more games are played because as of now I don't think anyone is availAble just yet
A deadline deal possibility that I have never really considered.

Old
10-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
But it's not as though the other players are doing the exact same thing as last season. They are actually moving and interchanging positions.

Do people here even remember that the Kings had the 7th best power play at 20.8% two seasons ago with Kompon as the power play coach?
You expect us to remember two seasons ago? I only remember the games since their last loss.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Iginla only has on more year after this one, so assuming we added him at the deadline I would be ok with that. The Kings would just let Penner and Stoll leave after this season and be replaced next season by Iginla and Loktionov, which is pretty much a cap hit wash. And even if Iginla turned into Smyth 2.0 it would only be one year, not three. Bernier would without question be going the other way as Calgary can't still be serious about Leland Irving as a prospect.

The question would be, what else would the Kings have to include to make it happen. Calgary will also have to be out of it at the deadline and Iginla would have to waive his NTC.

I could see this happening.

Kings could go into the playoffs with...

Gagne - Kopitar - Iginla
Penner - Richards - Williams
Richardson - Stoll - Brown

Old
10-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Honestly, and I don't hate on penner but an upgrade to the scd line LW (or for penner to get hot) is all this team needs right now.

Maybe an extra vet Dman come deadline if Voynov/Martinez struggle.

Looking forward to lokti on this team, would even like to see him get a shot on the wing again.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:56 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Honestly, and I don't hate on penner but an upgrade to the scd line LW (or for penner to get hot) is all this team needs right now.

Looking forward to lokti on this team, would even like to see him get a shot on the wing again.
You're not negative, just impatient. Believe me, even if we brought someone in for Penner, if that player didn't produce right away and consistently, you'd be asking for another LW and another LW...

Just ask yourself this: how many teams have a better second line than we do?

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Iginla only has on more year after this one, so assuming we added him at the deadline I would be ok with that. The Kings would just let Penner and Stoll leave after this season and be replaced next season by Iginla and Loktionov, which is pretty much a cap hit wash. And even if Iginla turned into Smyth 2.0 it would only be one year, not three. Bernier would without question be going the other way as Calgary can't still be serious about Leland Irving as a prospect.

The question would be, what else would the Kings have to include to make it happen. Calgary will also have to be out of it at the deadline and Iginla would have to waive his NTC.

I could see this happening.

Kings could go into the playoffs with...

Gagne - Kopitar - Iginla
Penner - Richards - Williams
Richardson - Stoll - Brown
the problem is that Feaster will still think Calgary are a contender this and next year, so probably wont be looking at trading Iginla

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I think you meant to say that the Kings only have one line scoring right now. I don't know how anyone can say that Penner-Richards-Brown is not a scoring line.
No kidding! It wasn't that long ago when we were all excited over our top 6. And here we are 6 games in with a very good record and people are already second guessing our 2nd line.

Yeeeesh!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post

What's with the if Martinez struggles? If people don't know yet AMart is a top 4 defenseman pretty much anywhere in the NHL. He is probably the best skater on the team not the fastest but the best in all directions forward, backwards, and laterally. His board play has grown leaps and bounds from 2 years ago. Voynov to me has struggled the first 2 games. He already has NHL vision but defensive coverage is where he tends to wander a bit and he is losing the battles along the boards but that is expected as he gets his used to the NHL speed. One thing he does well already is he looks up right away and moves the puck up the middle which is harder to do has you have to be patient and let the lane open up. Many D men just pass along the boards even when they don't have to.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote