HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospal Interview: Nationwide Arena Country Club

Old
10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Good interview by the Dispatch, Vinny did a good job describing some of the problems in the room. He's not the first vet to do this, the Jackets will play better after reading this testimonial but I don't think it will fundamentally change much in the long run. No more than testimonials by Sydor, Foote or Fedorov changed things in the long run.

Culture begins in the owners suite and flows downhill.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:40 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Well, we've had a badass Captain in Adam Foote. Were the results any different?
No they were not. But when Foote was the captain the goalies were named Denis, Leclaire and for a very short time Norrena.

I don't think it can be pinned on Mason. Mason isn't stealing games like he did his rookie season, but he isn't losing them either.

This apathy goes back to the team's 2nd season, long before Mason or Leclaire even.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
And there's one team out there that has the needs, the situation, and the components to swing such a deal. And those would be some mighty tantalizing pieces coming back.
Hmm... Who are you thinking?

Maybe LA or Van?

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post

Maybe LA or Van?
if LA I keep going back to a deal basing around Benier, JMFJ, and prob Stoll for Nash and prob Russell to make the cap work...but not sure if that deal is enough to get me excited to move him...

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:28 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post

Maybe LA or Van?
I'll tell you, I think the guy who needs a playoff team as badly as Howson is Mr. Brian Burke. I just don't know if he has the assets Columbus would want for a Nash.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:30 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
No they were not. But when Foote was the captain the goalies were named Denis, Leclaire and for a very short time Norrena.

I don't think it can be pinned on Mason. Mason isn't stealing games like he did his rookie season, but he isn't losing them either.

This apathy goes back to the team's 2nd season, long before Mason or Leclaire even.
No, no, no. I am not communicating well today, I guess. LOL

I don't think there is one person to blame. I am not blaming Mason but I did say that the team plays differently in front of different goalies. I interpret that as directly in response to the faith they have in that players ability. It's the blonde hair.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:

No he's losing some too. A starting NHL goalie cannot have a GAA over 3 and save % under .900, no excuses. He's not of starter quality anymore.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:39 PM
BluejacketNut

What Vinny is essentially saying, is they look like a beer league team out there. Sure they have some talent, but its not like they look like a solid team. Beer league teams rarely, if ever, practice together, and obviously it can show. You play how you practice.

As has always been our issue in the past, what are we? What is our identity? What are you going to get when you play the Columbus Bluejackets? Our passing is rarely crisp, we're not going to punish you, our defense looks sporadic. All these things have been a problem with this team since year 2.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:42 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
No he's losing some too. A starting NHL goalie cannot have a GAA over 3 and save % under .900, no excuses. He's not of starter quality anymore.
And at times its the type of goals you give up. The 1st goal against Dallas at home is simply inexcusable for an NHL starting goalie....period. He has to stop that shot, its ok to get beat by good shots, and if you can keep out all the easy ones and only let in a good shot from time to time, your team will have a hell of a lot more confidence in your goalie. When we've got a goalie thats having a bad night (rec league wise), and theres a break away, youre first thought on the bench is 'ohh *****'...not too much different when these guys see the 2nd shot of the game go in on a routine save

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:44 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Well, that article was certainly good for a "lol" wasn't it?
My goodness.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
CBJCougar

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/

Arniel made the morning skate optional.

Old
10-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
What Vinny is essentially saying, is they look like a beer league team out there. Sure they have some talent, but its not like they look like a solid team. Beer league teams rarely, if ever, practice together, and obviously it can show. You play how you practice.

As has always been our issue in the past, what are we? What is our identity? What are you going to get when you play the Columbus Bluejackets? Our passing is rarely crisp, we're not going to punish you, our defense looks sporadic. All these things have been a problem with this team since year 2.
I feel this sums it up very well. The team doesn't put forth the effort in practice, therefore they don't play well together. If you read what great players are thinking when they play, they know where a linemate will be at given times because they have spent so much time on the ice that they are practically connected telepathically.

Quote:

The new beat writer said everyone showed up, which is a great sign. they just need to keep it up the rest of the season. Not just respond for a few games then fall asleep again.

Last edited by Zoo16: 10-21-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
I'll tell you, I think the guy who needs a playoff team as badly as Howson is Mr. Brian Burke. I just don't know if he has the assets Columbus would want for a Nash.
Interesting. I think Schenn and Kulemin would be a great return for Nash, but I think Toronto would be hesitant to pull the trigger on that. From the original post I referred to, I was leaning towards a team that had two starting-caliber goaltenders.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:56 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo16 View Post
I read that everyone showed up, which is a great sign. they just need to keep it up the rest of the season. Not just respond for a few games then fall asleep again.
More importantly I hope they show up tonight.

Old
10-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Quote:
More importantly I hope they show up tonight.
Darn straight. Another 'mail it in' game tonight and my fansign on Tuesday will read "Welcome to Nationwide Country Club!"

Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Matt

There is a 50/50 chance they will show up tonight. But since they all skated this morning, my bet is they will be too tired to play.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:

But it was after a team meeting at the hotel. This had to be a test although an obvious one.

I'm sure it was an optional morning skate but by optional I mean your a** better be there or we are shipping your sorry, lazy, a** to Springfield or Siberia kind of morning skate

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:13 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
But did you consider all of the factors? Do you think Nash should be doing the job of his defensemen (both of them)?

this:
Yep, I considered all the factors, and in a previous post, I said that Nash wasn't the only one responsible. In this post, I focused on Nash. Nope, I don't expect him to do the job of the defensemen, nor did I say that. I thought Nash might have been able to lay a check on Benn, and thus have done more to help the defense. I looked at the video again and have to concede that Nash didn't have the speed to hit Benn, perhaps leaving him no option but to fade away or risk taking a penalty. Who knows, perhaps he would have carried more speed if there hadn't been four other blue uniforms around Benn. He shouldn't have needed to do more than he did, but more was needed from all of our players in that situation, including Nash.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:40 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Definitely this goal. The first point made was regarding how Nash was at the end of an extended shift and heading to the bench when he saw Benn and rejoined the play. As I said, Nash was not found faultless, there was more going on than just his "half-hearted effort."
OT, but here's the goal analysis I was thinking of as a good analytical example. I thought I had seen it referenced here on hf, but it was from one of the blogs.
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/1...me-tying-goal/

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:45 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
But it was after a team meeting at the hotel. This had to be a test although an obvious one.

I'm sure it was an optional morning skate but by optional I mean your a** better be there or we are shipping your sorry, lazy, a** to Springfield or Siberia kind of morning skate
That would have been MY message for sure!! LOL

Well, tell the team we WILL be WATCHING tonight and we are taking down names. I don't look for perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. I am searching for passion and effort. Luck is preparation and hard work. I want calluses on the sticks

Old
10-21-2011, 04:46 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo16 View Post
Darn straight. Another 'mail it in' game tonight and my fansign on Tuesday will read "Welcome to Nationwide Country Club!"
Do it!! LOL

Old
10-21-2011, 04:52 PM
CarolinaBlueJacket

Way to go Vinny!

I get so tired of hearing we played a good game tonight but...just came across a hot goalie...or the other team is the hottest team in the league...or they haven't won a game in a while so they were due...or fill in the blank with the usual BS. Losing has become ingrained into the fabric of the CBJ jerseys that they accept it as a self defence mechanism. If they really focused on how much and how many different ways they lose it would be so depressing that they would never go back out. Instead they have to find a way to cope with the losing and the easiest way is apathy. Of course they want to win but it is so difficult to put themselves out there emotionally after so many beat downs. Think of it as if you are a teenager and you have asked out 10 girls and have gotten shot down in every case. After a while you start to approach girls with less confidence and you accept being rejected easier because if you take every rejection personally you will go crazy.

So how to fix this?

When I heard that Hitch was too tough on the players they should have gotten him different players. Hitch got fired because the players were half a$$ing it and he had no authority to get rid of them. Its like the players won by half a$$ing it and Hitch was run out so they could return to their lesiourly lifestyle.

MAKE HITCH THE GM NOW!!! Let him pick an intense coach and build a team that competes without getting their feelings hurt.

CarolinaBlueJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
That would have been MY message for sure!! LOL

Well, tell the team we WILL be WATCHING tonight and we are taking down names. I don't look for perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. I am searching for passion and effort. Luck is preparation and hard work. I want calluses on the sticks
Well said, you bring a special charm to the board Cougar...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:06 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Well said, you bring a special charm to the board Cougar...
So do you, Robert.

Old
10-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Good interview by the Dispatch, Vinny did a good job describing some of the problems in the room. He's not the first vet to do this, the Jackets will play better after reading this testimonial but I don't think it will fundamentally change much in the long run. No more than testimonials by Sydor, Foote or Fedorov changed things in the long run.
My first thought when seeing the thread title was, "I hope MacLean doesn't hear about this!" He'd put a gag on Prospal faster than you can say, "I drafted Rick Nash."

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote