HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospal Interview: Nationwide Arena Country Club

Old
10-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

vCash: 500
Getting to this story late....long day at work.

I'm too lazy to go back and quote the posts that I'd give props to, but I don't know why a few jumped on Nash to be traded or stripped of the 'C' because of this quote.

As Cougar alluded to, Foote was the prototypical SOB in-your-face type of guy and it wasn't like wins magically appeared because of that. I don't have any issues with Nash not throwing people under the bus in the media or screaming at players - that's not his personality and it would come across as forced. Ideally, you have other guys on the team who are comfortable with this, and Prospal may be that guy.

I think some people put way too much importance on who's wearing the 'C'. There's no reason whatsoever that someone like Vinnie or Umberger can't lay down the law without the situation becoming 'OMG, Nash can't be captain'. People think the team would change overnight if you stitched a 'C' on Prospal?

There's clearly some players on the team who are going through the motions. I have a pretty good idea who (probably a good correlation to this year's stat sheet), and that is who Prospal is giving the gears to. I think it's great Vinnie is doing it, and he has more street cred in terms of experience AND as a leading scorer on the team (unlike say Moreau or Rivet) to make some noise.

My take on reading Vinnie's comments: I put the blame where it lies - the players who are loafing. After that, I put it on Arniel and Howson to get rid of these players if it continues. Clearly, they have shown they are capable of this based on the treatment of Commodore last year. Hopefully this is the wake-up call they need.

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
My first thought when seeing the thread title was, "I hope MacLean doesn't hear about this!" He'd put a gag on Prospal faster than you can say, "I drafted Rick Nash."
Memory is waning these days but I think I remember that...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Str8cash

WOW.....I hate to be negative, so thats why there is such a low post count. I really thought this was the year, and thanks to Vinny it still maybe. We should keep this guy around just like we should have kept Torres, guys that work 60 minutes every night. Glad someone stated the obvious.

Str8cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:32 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
My first thought when seeing the thread title was, "I hope MacLean doesn't hear about this!" He'd put a gag on Prospal faster than you can say, "I drafted Rick Nash."
I imagine he had plenty to say about it today. He would say something like, "See they can't blame me! That guy Howson is the one who screwed up the team I built."

He may not though, he's very busy waging war on Pierre McGuire. McGuire has gone on radio in several Canadian markets recently and when asked about the Jackets and and especially the attendance problems in Columbus, he said something like, "MacLean made a lot of bad decisions and did a poor job drafting. He thought he was the smartest guy around, smarter than all of the other managers around the NHL and really damaged that franchise." He followed that up with "Columbus is a great market. Up until the lockout they were printing money in Columbus. Columbus has great fans, but they aren't stupid."

If anyone wants to hear his comments, I know one set of them was on Team 1200 in Ottawa on the TGOR morning show.

it's in one of these:

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...%2C%202011.mp3

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...%2C%202011.mp3

He has made similar comments recently in other markets as well.

TaketheCannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:10 AM
CBJCougar

From the Dispatch Puckrakers blog on Game 7 this morning:

Captain Rick Nash questioned the leadership in the locker room, including himself. Here’s what he said:

“We’re just not getting the job done right now. It’s a combination of a bunch of different things. The top guys have to step up their game if we want to get out of this. Top guys have to step up and take over a game and win us a game. Leaders have to lead. It’s got to be better. When you’re a top player on your team, you have to get your team out of these slumps.”

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:31 AM
BluejacketNut

This team is losing because of lack of talent. Its said that hard work can beat skill, this is true, but only to a point. Dorsett can work his butt off, but if he doesnt have some skill to go with it, its not going to matter. Here is my breakdown of the roster.

Legit NHL talent, meaning they would fit on any team in the NHL
Nash
Prospal
Umberger
Vermette
Wisnewski
Carter
Pahlsson
Tyutin

Border line NHLers, meaning they can find a home on some NHL team due to there being 30 teams, , but wouldnt be on cup contending rosters except to fill in for injuries
Brassard
Russell
Methot
Dorsett
Mackenzi
Johnson

AHLers, having no real business playing in the NHL at the moment
Clitsome
Savard
Giroux
Bass
Calvert
Atkinson
Mayorov
Johansen

Mason (he is not at NHLer right now...well he is, but a bad one)

We have some NHLer's, but not enough to compete with teams that have full NHL rosters. Add in a coach that is still trying to figure out what works in the NHL and you have a recipe for losing

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:49 AM
blahblah

Thank god we have someone in here dividing our players into what talent level they think that player is and if they should be in the NHL.

Commy and Souray weren't good enough to play for us but they are in the NHL. One on a cup contender the other on a team that wasn't supposed to do anything and on the cap floor.

I'll pass on this analysis thanks.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:27 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Thank god we have someone in here dividing our players into what talent level they think that player is and if they should be in the NHL.

Commy and Souray weren't good enough to play for us but they are in the NHL. One on a cup contender the other on a team that wasn't supposed to do anything and on the cap floor.

Commie has not played any game for Wings. Plus we all saw how he is slow and his mistakes. And do not forget that Souray play in the team with great g-man.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:33 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
This team is losing because of lack of talent. Its said that hard work can beat skill, this is true, but only to a point. Dorsett can work his butt off, but if he doesnt have some skill to go with it, its not going to matter. Here is my breakdown of the roster.

Legit NHL talent, meaning they would fit on any team in the NHL
Nash
Prospal
Umberger
Vermette
Wisnewski
Carter
Pahlsson
Tyutin

Border line NHLers, meaning they can find a home on some NHL team due to there being 30 teams, , but wouldnt be on cup contending rosters except to fill in for injuries
Brassard
Russell
Methot
Dorsett
Mackenzi
Johnson

AHLers, having no real business playing in the NHL at the moment
Clitsome
Savard
Giroux
Bass
Calvert
Atkinson
Mayorov
Johansen

Mason (he is not at NHLer right now...well he is, but a bad one)

We have some NHLer's, but not enough to compete with teams that have full NHL rosters. Add in a coach that is still trying to figure out what works in the NHL and you have a recipe for losing
I do not agree with Dorsett, Pahlsson, Mayorov, Atkinson, Johansen and Calvert. Johansen did not get a right chance, Atkinson showed his qualities similar Calvert, Mayorov plays with Dorsett who is a player without hockey IQ - AHL player not NHL and Pahlsson who plays tragical now. And probably with Savard too he need experiences... do you saw Cowen or Rundblad? Their first games and played not extra. It is about experiences.

Give Johansen together with Mayorov a on the wing MacKenzie and give them a chance, Bass to Pahlsson and Dorsett with the time under 10 minutes.

Old
10-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Crede777
Deputized

My solution, at this point, would be to trade away Vermette. Besides winning faceoffs he is a complete non-factor.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:26 PM
36kap36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
My solution, at this point, would be to trade away Vermette. Besides winning faceoffs he is a complete non-factor.
I fully agree.

36kap36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I'm getting more concerned about Umberger's lifetime contract with each passing day. I don't know what the hell happened to him this summer - I never would have thought he'd be someone to let up once the big contract was signed, but I'm not sure he came 100% ready to start the season.

Hopefully he snaps out of it ASAP, but Howson might have to pull a Holmgren on him and trade him (if there are any takers) before the NTC kicks in.

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:46 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:

Commy hasnt played a game for the Wings, and Souray would probably be our 2nd, if not best defensman right now (he has 2 points less then all of our defensman combined)...it was Howson that figured he wasnt good enough to be a Jacket, and we can see how good of decisions Howson is capable of making. Feel free to give your own assessment, not much else good to talk about when you're a fantastic 0-7

Old
10-22-2011, 12:50 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I do not agree with Dorsett, Pahlsson, Mayorov, Atkinson, Johansen and Calvert. Johansen did not get a right chance, Atkinson showed his qualities similar Calvert, Mayorov plays with Dorsett who is a player without hockey IQ - AHL player not NHL and Pahlsson who plays tragical now. And probably with Savard too he need experiences... do you saw Cowen or Rundblad? Their first games and played not extra. It is about experiences.

Give Johansen together with Mayorov a on the wing MacKenzie and give them a chance, Bass to Pahlsson and Dorsett with the time under 10 minutes.
Give Johansen, Mayorov on the wing with Mackenzie more time and we'll continue to go winless

Old
10-22-2011, 12:56 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Give Johansen, Mayorov on the wing with Mackenzie more time and we'll continue to go winless
Johansen is a center do you see whats happen when Brassard began to play a center? MacKenzie should play a wing not center. IMOthe line MacKenzie--Johansen--Mayorov would be better.

Old
10-22-2011, 01:05 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Johansen is a center do you see whats happen when Brassard began to play a center? MacKenzie should play a wing not center. IMOthe line MacKenzie--Johansen--Mayorov would be better.
Johansen should be in Portland, he is not ready for the NHL

Old
10-22-2011, 01:13 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Commy hasnt played a game for the Wings, and Souray would probably be our 2nd, if not best defensman right now (he has 2 points less then all of our defensman combined)...it was Howson that figured he wasnt good enough to be a Jacket, and we can see how good of decisions Howson is capable of making. Feel free to give your own assessment, not much else good to talk about when you're a fantastic 0-7
Why would I do that? #anothermanstrash

Old
10-22-2011, 01:17 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Johansen should be in Portland, he is not ready for the NHL
How do you know did he get a chance to show his qualities? No.

Old
10-22-2011, 01:20 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Why would I do that? #anothermanstrash
Is still better then our trash

Old
10-22-2011, 01:22 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
How do you know did he get a chance to show his qualities? No.
Its either 1 or 2 things, either the coach has seen how he is practicing and doesnt think he's ready by only giving him 9 minutes a game, or Arniel makes Hitch look like Mr Rogers in hating kids

Old
10-22-2011, 01:33 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Its either 1 or 2 things, either the coach has seen how he is practicing and doesnt think he's ready by only giving him 9 minutes a game, or Arniel makes Hitch look like Mr Rogers in hating kids
If you are talking about Johansen, he played 11+ minutes last night. The part I have an issue with is that he doesn't have a larger role on the PP.

Old
10-22-2011, 01:47 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Do you think Umberger or Vermette are better for our PP? Really? Both played tragical but played. I talk about the games before not about the game against Wings. If Johansen would play like them he would be in Portland not only HS. Boy needs confidence.

Brassard played whorse than Johansen he get a chance and he kept its. Why not RyJo? Do you think veterans are our support that Johansen must sit or play less ice time? Not... they are terrible... . Even "heart and soul" our team.

Old
10-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I think the more I see Johansen play the more I think he is ready for the NHL. He's very solid defensively already, but I really don't think he gets enough time on the ice to start to figure out how to play offensively in the NHL. Honestly I really don't understand how they are blowing his development so far. I mean players like Vermette and Umberger really aren't helping much on the powerplay yet they get the time while Johansen never sees the ice during the powerplay unless the penalty is almost over and he is just tossed out because the fourth line is going to take the ice for the even strength time. I hear Rimmer a few times say that Johansen is seeing time out there with Nash on the powerplay but most of the time its only because Nash hasn't left the ice yet for Bass to jump on.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I've also complained about the players playing soft before. But my idea to wave pink panties at them last New Years eve was soundly rejected.
I'm not up for wasting a perfectly good pair of panties...

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
I'm not up for wasting a perfectly good pair of panties...
Rolled the rock eh....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote