HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Great One offered job with Kings

Old
10-21-2011, 02:18 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Great One offered job with Kings

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378566

Aplogies if this was posted before, but I didn't see it if it was. Mods, please delete if it was.

Here's a video of the interview:

Gretzky mentions the difficulties at around 5:50 about how it's not just a simple matter of getting back in the game if you're Wayne Gretzky. After that he gets into the discussions with the Oilers and Kings. Says the job would have involved "watching kids" and that sort of duties, so I assume something along the lines of Assistant Director of Player Development or some other name tag was offered.

Thoughts on the Great One coming back?

Sounds like he won't be coming back to the NHL, let alone the Kings, for a while if ever. That said, if he did come back to the Kings, I'd be ok with it being as an ambassador, assistant coach (especially if he replaces Kompon) or an Assistant GM. I don't think he should actually be in charge of anything though (Head Coach, a GM, etc.)

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Fishhead

3rd line center, then flip stoll for ovechkin.

If not that, it would definitely be a player dev. or assistant position. Something without heavy travel. I would bank on something behind the scenes, like what Ferreira does.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Hasn't been posted in a while, but over the years Lombardi has mentioned it many times that he and Gretzky keep in touch and that he has wanted him to be part of the organization as an adviser to the team. My opinion remains the same. I don't care if he becomes part of the organization as long as he has no official position within management. I don't want him as a coach or a manager of this team in any capacity whatsoever. Outside of that, I do not care.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter

Last edited by Telos: 10-21-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:13 PM
bobafettish*

Seems like a PR move.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:53 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Hasn't been posted in a while, but over the years Lombardi has mentioned it many times that he and Gretzky keep in touch and that he has wanted him to be part of the organization as an adviser to the team. My opinion remains the same. I don't care if he becomes part of the organization as long as he has to official position within management. I don't want him as a coach or a manager of this team in any capacity whatsoever. Outside of that, I do not care.
What, you wouldn't want him to replace Terry Murray as coach?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:02 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Hasn't been posted in a while, but over the years Lombardi has mentioned it many times that he and Gretzky keep in touch and that he has wanted him to be part of the organization as an adviser to the team. My opinion remains the same. I don't care if he becomes part of the organization as long as he has to official position within management. I don't want him as a coach or a manager of this team in any capacity whatsoever. Outside of that, I do not care.
My sentiment exactly. If they want him to mentor or talk to young players, fine. I don't want Gretzky anywhere near personnel decisions.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:47 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Agreed. I'd be glad to bring him on board so long as he didn't get any responsibility for the team's on ice product.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:58 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
My sentiment exactly. If they want him to mentor or talk to young players, fine. I don't want Gretzky anywhere near personnel decisions.
There seems to be an overall agreement that he shouldn't be anywhere near personnel decisions if he returned.I'm curious to hear why wouldn't you [as well as others] wouldn't like to see him in a position of authority?Do you really think he'd have such a horrible influence on the future of the team?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:27 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
3rd line center, then flip stoll for ovechkin.

Post of the day right here.

no name is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:07 AM
TwoMinutesWellWorthI*

Put him on the ice crew.

Could you imagine Gretzky blasting shirts from a cannon into the stands?

TwoMinutesWellWorthI* is offline   Reply With Quote