HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Black Sabbath Appreciation Thread

Old
11-12-2011, 01:26 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Don't know how I feel about this. A decade ago I would have been totally stocked but they, especially Ozzy, are starting to show their age and the wear and tear of a crazy lifestyle. I am hoping something good comes out of it and will definitively give it a listen to.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Don't know how I feel about this. A decade ago I would have been totally stocked but they, especially Ozzy, are starting to show their age and the wear and tear of a crazy lifestyle. I am hoping something good comes out of it and will definitively give it a listen to.
Ozzy's voice is better now than 10 years ago. Since that's the biggest worry, the outlook is better now than a long, long time.

BTW I say biggest worry because Ozzy can't "take it easy" and still sound good. The rest of the guys, while the possibility is there that they can't perform to the best of their all-time abilities, their parts won't suffer as much as the vocals would.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 09:11 PM
itscameron

**** yes. Casual reunions do not have the capabilities of perverting grand legacies like theirs, but they can still be lots of fun. So, why not? It should be fun; I can't wait!

itscameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:03 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I wonder how that'll turn out. That song "Scary Dreams" they wrote the last time they got together was...ugh. I dug "Psycho Man" and "Selling My Soul" from '98 though.
Funny you should mention these songs. I just my copy of their double disk "Reunion" album in the mail today and just finished checking these songs out for the first time. You're right, both of these songs are great. Psycho Man sounds particularly evil IMO.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Ozz

I remember the first time I heard that, on the radio no less, before the album came out. I was riding along w/my mother and flipping through the stations as she was in a store or something like that. I caught it during the solo and could immediately tell it sounded too familiar, eventually figuring it was Sabbath. It was obvious by the time Ozzy came back on. At the time I didn't even know they had a new single. Those were the days, now everything is old by the time it's officially released

Old
11-15-2011, 01:08 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

^^

Awesome. I've been jammin' the Sabbath Reunion album nonstop since I got it last night. It ****ing rules. The beginning of "Black Sabbath" when Iommi comes in with his famous intro riff sounds so ****ing EVIL as always. The tone of his guitar during this Reunion version of this song however sounds so extra sinister, chilling, dark, and awesome. It gave me goosebumps when I heard it last night.

No wonder the crowd went nuts when that riff graced their ears.

Last edited by MetalheadPenguinsFan: 11-15-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old
11-15-2011, 06:33 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

The studio track "Selling My Soul" from the Reunion album, has a definite early 70's vibe to it. Sounds like something that could have been on Volume 4 or Master Of Reality IMO.

Iommi plays such heavy/groovy riffs in that song.

I dunno why so many "Reunion" album reviews I read totally badmouth those 2 studio tracks. They're ****ing brilliant.

Old
11-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
The studio track "Selling My Soul" from the Reunion album, has a definite early 70's vibe to it. Sounds like something that could have been on Volume 4 or Master Of Reality IMO.

Iommi plays such heavy/groovy riffs in that song.

I dunno why so many "Reunion" album reviews I read totally badmouth those 2 studio tracks. They're ****ing brilliant.
I've been listening to them for 13 years, they're great songs. I especially love that riff in Psycho Man that follows the solo. When the rest of the instruments & the vocals kick in, it's also very groovy.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Jevo

THe first tour dates for Black Sabbath has been released, and boy am I pissed. Denmark is the only country in Scandinavia that doesn't get a concert, both Norway and Swden get two concerts. Guess I have to abroad then.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:39 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Great ****ing song.

Old
11-24-2011, 08:55 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

^^

Speaking about the Sabbath song "Changes" I've always wanted to know...who played the piano part of that song on the Volume 4 album?

Old
11-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Ozz

Iommi

Old
11-24-2011, 11:01 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Iommi
Awesome. I never knew he could play the piano or that that was him playing it on "Changes"

Old
11-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Habsfan18

One of my favorite magazines will have a cover story on Sabbath in their upcoming December issue. I would recommend picking it up.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Awesome. I never knew he could play the piano or that that was him playing it on "Changes"
I'm sure you knew Ozzy played harmonica on "The Wizard", but he also played the synth on "Who Are You" from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Maybe more songs from that album as well, but this I know 'for sure'.

Old
11-27-2011, 05:12 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
I'm sure you knew Ozzy played harmonica on "The Wizard", but he also played the synth on "Who Are You" from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Maybe more songs from that album as well, but this I know 'for sure'.

Indeed I did.

Last edited by MetalheadPenguinsFan: 11-27-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old
11-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

They pretty much single-handedly invented the world's greatest musical genre. You can't say enough about Sabbath.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Tony Iommi's been diagnosed with lymphoma

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/B/.../19219101.html

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Disclose

yeah. read that on facebook:

With the news that Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma, his bandmates would like everyone to send positive vibes to the guitarist at this time. Iommi is currently working with his doctors to establish the best treatment plan--the “IRON MAN” of Rock & Roll remains upbeat and determined to make a full and successful recovery.

hopefully he'll recover and that world tour will still be on.

get well soon Iommi!

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:10 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Damn. I'm speechless...

Get well Tony.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Ozz

Old
02-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Disclose

the tour is off..... only one show will be played as sabbath in the u.k.
the rest of the confirmed dates will be ozzy "and firends"

Black Sabbath
TOUR UPDATE: BAND’S SOLE EUROPEAN PERFORMANCE THIS SUMMER SET FOR U.K.’S DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL. OZZY & FRIENDS TO PERFORM MAJORITY OF OTHER SCHEDULED SHOWS

BLACK SABBATH --who late last year confirmed the recording of their first new album in more than 33 years and a worldwide headlining tour--have had to put some plans on hold due to Tony Iommi's battle with lymphoma. At this time, BLACK SABBATH will perform only one show of this summer’s previously scheduled European tour. It will take place Sunday, June 10 at the U.K.’s Download Festival.

So as not to let the promoters and fans down, Ozzy Osbourne will now perform the majority of the previously scheduled BLACK SABBATH dates (both festival performances and the headlining shows) billed as OZZY & FRIENDS. These “first ever” OZZY & FRIENDS shows will feature appearances by “special guest” musicians including Official Geezer Butler (who will join Ozzy for a special BLACK SABBATH set as a show of respect and support to their friend, Tony Iommi) and longtime former OZZY band member Zakk Wylde. In addition, OZZY will be accompanied by longtime collaborator and friend Slash at select shows, with other “special guests” set to join the tour at various stops along the way (full list of dates, appearances below).

Tony Iommi continues to make excellent progress and is looking forward to getting back out on the road. Meanwhile, BLACK SABBATH continue to write and record music in the U.K. for their upcoming album. More information about these dates and BLACK SABBATH’s recording and touring plans is forthcoming.

facebook

Old
02-18-2012, 12:01 PM
PolishBingo
King Pierogie IV

^^^ What about Bill Ward? Heard he was holding out for more $$$

PolishBingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishBingo View Post
^^^ What about Bill Ward? Heard he was holding out for more $$$
More like he's being short-changed and wants more of a fair shake, but overall yes he holding out for more money. As "the drummer" it's no surprise, especially because he's less of a drawing name than the others, and I'm as pro-Ozzy as anyone you can ever meet, but he was one of the most valuable assets to Sabbath back in the day.

Old
02-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Disclose

from the statement they will just continue without him;

We were saddened to hear yesterday via Facebook that Bill declined publicly to participate in our current Black Sabbath plans...we have no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open... We are still in the UK with Tony. Writing and recording the new album and on a roll... See you at Download!!!

- Tony, Ozzy and Geezer