HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tavares

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2011, 12:04 PM
  #1
ziggy7716
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,092
vCash: 500
John Tavares

What else can we say about this kid? He has been awesome thus far this season. His skating is MUCH improved. He much faster then the previous 2 seasons, its like he added a extra gear, also he is alot stronger on his skates. I noticed during the Rags game, there was a play where 2 Rangers tried to knock him off the puck, they ended up both hitting the ice and JT continued to carry the puck. It is almost like he is on a mission to prove to everyone that he deserves to be in the discussion amongst the league best.

Now obviously its very early still and he is not going to be scoring 4pts every game, but what are some of you expecting how many points he can realistically score this season? My gut tells me we are looking at a 80pt season from Tavares this season. I would wager 40-40 is very possible. My next question is can he score 50? I personally don't think he will reach that milestone this season, but I do believe he has the skill to do it.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:11 PM
  #2
Sammy2010*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be surprised if he lead the league in pts.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:14 PM
  #3
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he lead the league in pts.
That would surprise me a little bit. However i could see him in the top 10. He does have the talent to do so. Does he have the supporting cast though

Fantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:20 PM
  #4
Bexlyspeed
Registered User
 
Bexlyspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Country: United States
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
C'mon Johnny! lead the league in points, no pressure

the kid has improved greatly and i am just happy that he is a great player with a good head on his shoulders and that the team is acutally showing signs of finally being ready to do something. if he gets intot he top 10 its a bonus

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:43 PM
  #5
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he lead the league in pts.
I wish, but it won't happen. Someone will score 100 and it won't be Johnny.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:02 PM
  #6
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,665
vCash: 500
He really is night and day from his rookie season. He can totally dominate games. That one play mentioned, where he got past three Rangers (knocked down 2) was absolutely Crosbyish. I was always amazed at how strong Crosby was for his size, and now it seems like Tavares has similar strength. His speed, shockingly, has improved so much, that not only does it help him create great offensive chances, it helps him with the backcheck, which has also improved tremendously. He's like a hound dog going after the puck. He's created several chances per game because of his backchecking.

It all isn't about point totals with him. I thought one of his best games, was game two against Minnesota. He had tons of chances, played very strong offensively and defensively. Sometimes we forget how young Tavares is, he's only 21, if his progress continues at the same pace every year, he will be a top ten player in the NHL very soon. My only concerns are slumps, which he had two huge ones his first and second year, and not having protection out there. I hate to see him crushed every game without retaliation. He needs his own Clark Gillies or Dave Semenko. Those guys opened up so much space for Bossy/Trottier and Gretzky respectively. I know Parenteau is playing perfectly with Moulson and Tavares at this point, but I'm still worried about people taking liberties with Tavares.

I always said when I saw highlights of Tavares, prior to our drafting him, that I thought he reminded me of Zach Parise, in his determination to score, they both refuse to stop attacking the net until they score. It may be early, but Tavares may even have more upside than Parise.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:20 PM
  #7
JTavaresNYI09
Registered User
 
JTavaresNYI09's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I wish, but it won't happen. Someone will score 100 and it won't be Johnny.
agreed.

but who here wouldn't sign up for Tavares with 30 goals and 50 assists at the end of the year? Anything more then that would be a bonus IMO.

JTavaresNYI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:27 PM
  #8
Wedregast
Registered User
 
Wedregast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
I think at the least he should be a point-a-game player this season. I'd guess at least 38 goals, 44 assists.

Next season, I can see him hitting 100 points.

Either way, this kid is special.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:30 PM
  #9
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
I think at the least he should be a point-a-game player this season. I'd guess at least 38 goals, 44 assists.

Next season, I can see him hitting 100 points.

Either way, this kid is special.
I think the skill is there. but the cast is not

Fantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:30 PM
  #10
Wedregast
Registered User
 
Wedregast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
It may be early, but Tavares may even have more upside than Parise.
I like Parise, he is a player every team would like, and if there was a sliver of a chance for us to get him I'd part with anyone not named Tavares. So, I'm not knocking him at all. That said I think Tavares once he hits his prime, will be a solid notch above Parise top-end easy.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:16 PM
  #11
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I think the skill is there. but the cast is not
Two 30 goal scorers and a healthy Mark Streit with Hamonic and Rolston on the point? He has the players needed to get 80-100 points, AND THE COACHING. What's needed is solid play up and down the lineup. But yes, he can hit 100. Not gonna happen but he'll be around there this year or next.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:24 PM
  #12
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
JT has had streaks like this before. Let's see how he does over 20 games to see if he's really made the leap to the next tier (which I believe he will).

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:55 PM
  #13
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
JT has had streaks like this before. Let's see how he does over 20 games to see if he's really made the leap to the next tier (which I believe he will).
Agreed, but I have to warm the pessimists his skating and lower body strength is amazing compared to when he started.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:01 PM
  #14
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
What else can we say about this kid? He has been awesome thus far this season. His skating is MUCH improved. He much faster then the previous 2 seasons, its like he added a extra gear, also he is alot stronger on his skates. I noticed during the Rags game, there was a play where 2 Rangers tried to knock him off the puck, they ended up both hitting the ice and JT continued to carry the puck. It is almost like he is on a mission to prove to everyone that he deserves to be in the discussion amongst the league best.

Now obviously its very early still and he is not going to be scoring 4pts every game, but what are some of you expecting how many points he can realistically score this season? My gut tells me we are looking at a 80pt season from Tavares this season. I would wager 40-40 is very possible. My next question is can he score 50? I personally don't think he will reach that milestone this season, but I do believe he has the skill to do it.


This is IMO the greatest improvment in his game....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:05 PM
  #15
Islanderfan17
Registered User
 
Islanderfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,700
vCash: 500
Agree w/ everything the OP said, I'm expecting no less than 80 points from JT this year. Kid is a really hard worker, he'll only get better and better for it.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 03:22 PM
  #16
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTavaresNYI09 View Post
agreed.

but who here wouldn't sign up for Tavares with 30 goals and 50 assists at the end of the year? Anything more then that would be a bonus IMO.
He is capable of going well over 30 goals, which is only an increase of 1 from last year. Considering his greatly improved speed, acceleration, turning, strength, and shot form last year, 35-38 is reasonable, 40 reachable. I can not think that he would only be able to match Moulson's scoring levels of the last two years, he is so much better than Moulson (nothing against Matty).

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:21 PM
  #17
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Agreed, but I have to warm the pessimists his skating and lower body strength is amazing compared to when he started.
Agreed. It's called "growing" something he's physically still been doing since we drafted him. Hell, he's only been able to drink in your country legally for less than a month.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:40 PM
  #18
Disgraced Cosmonaut
Registered User
 
Disgraced Cosmonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,392
vCash: 500
i'd love to see 40/50 g/a. i think he can do something like that, give or take, but it's way too early to know if this will be the year. look at the supporting cast a guy like Trottier (or Gretzky) had when he was racking up points and challenging for the league lead.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:26 PM
  #19
Strome18
Registered User
 
Strome18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
i'd love to see 40/50 g/a. i think he can do something like that, give or take, but it's way too early to know if this will be the year. look at the supporting cast a guy like Trottier (or Gretzky) had when he was racking up points and challenging for the league lead.
Can we just wish him the best? What I want him and the rest of the team to have is a healthy year. Injuries ruin all expectations.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:05 PM
  #20
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,486
vCash: 500
So... can we put all the 'JT needs to be moved to the wing' threads to rest now?

Like many of you, I agree his skating improvement this year is just crazy. I was expecting a progression in his skills, but I didn't expect him to have gotten so much stronger, bigger, and faster so dramatically. Being such a late birth date in his draft year, maybe he's starting to get his man strength?

The points have come these last two games, but he played at a similar level in the first two games of the season in my eyes. He is just so dangerous in the offensive zone. It's as if they took 2009 John Tavares and gave it the Captain America treatment. I'm really looking forward to seeing how high he takes it. The 'what is he going to do next game?' is finally being noticed from the rest of the NHL.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:09 PM
  #21
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
So... can we put all the 'JT needs to be moved to the wing' threads to rest now?

Like many of you, I agree his skating improvement this year is just crazy. I was expecting a progression in his skills, but I didn't expect him to have gotten so much stronger, bigger, and faster so dramatically. Being such a late birth date in his draft year, maybe he's starting to get his man strength?

The points have come these last two games, but he played at a similar level in the first two games of the season in my eyes. He is just so dangerous in the offensive zone. It's as if they took 2009 John Tavares and gave it the Captain America treatment. I'm really looking forward to seeing how high he takes it. The 'what is he going to do next game?' is finally being noticed from the rest of the NHL.
Oh yes please!! It had to have been the worst idea in HF Islander history to put JT on the wing. Kid's a center.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:26 PM
  #22
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Oh yes please!! It had to have been the worst idea in HF Islander history to put JT on the wing. Kid's a center.
Haha, those threads aggravate the hell out of me. The kid is showing that he is a true #1C in the NHL. They don't grow on trees and you need to be strong down the middle. So you want to move him to the wing?

I always thought JT would top out as a better goal scoring Pierre Turgeon. Judging by the improvement in his game, I think that comparison may not be the best one anymore. I still can't put my finger on it, but his game has seriously evolved into something different. He looks like KO did 2 years ago when it comes to puck pursuit. He is relentless in a similar way. He is just so much aggressive this year. He's dictating the play and carrying the puck a lot more than he ever has in the last two years.

Geez, we need to wait another 2 days to see what he does next?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:26 PM
  #23
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 10,002
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Especially given JT's style of game where he likes to play with his back against the defender, the lower body strength is really paying off. His combo of mobility and strength enables him to pivot around defenders, ala watered-down Crosby.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:14 PM
  #24
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,147
vCash: 500
i think we can all see he is leaps and bounds from his rookie season and even last year....however lets not forget its been 4 games....lets not make him out to be a proven 90-100 point player yet.

definitely not saying it won't happen, but lets give it a few more games

don't get too high with the highs and low with the lows

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:19 PM
  #25
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
i think we can all see he is leaps and bounds from his rookie season and even last year....however lets not forget its been 4 games....lets not make him out to be a proven 90-100 point player yet.

definitely not saying it won't happen, but lets give it a few more games

don't get too high with the highs and low with the lows
But, but, but we've been dealing with the lows for so long. Can't we just enjoy this?

We finally have a developing franchise player who plays the premium position in hockey who gives us something to be excited about. Plus, we have to talk about something since we have to wait forever for the next game.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.