HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

European defense

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
European defense

I have a little wondering, what do you guys who follow Philadelphia regurarly think about that the defense only consists of european players? I know Desjardins will be back when he has healed from his injuries, but even then 6 of 7 d-men are european. Is it possible to win the Stanley Cup with this core, or do you need some NA players to fill out with? I'm just wondering, 'cause I know such discussions have been made, especially considering Ottawa's forwards.

Philly d: Danny Markov, Vlad Malakhov, Mattias Timander, Kim Johnsson, Marcus Ragnarsson, Joni Pitkänen, Dennis Seidenberg, (Eric Desjardins).

Old
08-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
I have a little wondering, what do you guys who follow Philadelphia regurarly think about that the defense only consists of european players? I know Desjardins will be back when he has healed from his injuries, but even then 6 of 7 d-men are european. Is it possible to win the Stanley Cup with this core, or do you need some NA players to fill out with? I'm just wondering, 'cause I know such discussions have been made, especially considering Ottawa's forwards.

Philly d: Danny Markov, Vlad Malakhov, Mattias Timander, Kim Johnsson, Marcus Ragnarsson, Joni Pitkänen, Dennis Seidenberg, (Eric Desjardins).

It's not where they're from that matters. It is if they can play or not. For the most part, I have no problem with our blueline. Maybe one muscle type player would be nice but all in all I like the Euro line up.

Old
08-30-2004, 03:51 PM
FearTheFlyers

Danny Markov is vicious enough to destroy the label that Euros are soft.

Old
08-30-2004, 04:16 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
absolutely true. I think the whole "Europeans can't win the Cup" idea is just stupid. Fredrik Modin is European, Ruslan Fedotenko is European, Khabibulin is European, Kubina is European, did that stop the Lightning from winning the Cup? Each person I mention there was a key contributor. Our guys have skill and they are also pretty gritty, I have no worries about Europeans on the roster.

Old
08-30-2004, 04:59 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
It doesn't matter where they're from, if the can play, then they can play simple as that. If your going to ask me this question for the AHL then I would want all the players to be North American because Europeans if aren't in the NHL they don't want to play at all.

Old
08-30-2004, 05:03 PM
FlyerFire

I Agree

Euro or not, I like our blueliners.One heavy hitter would be nice ,but...

Old
08-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Nab77

IMO, adding a crease-clearing, hard-nosed, take-no-prisoners top-4 d-man would take Philly's defense to the next level (Top 5 in the league). Why was Richardson let go? He filled that position nicely. At the moment Markov is the only guy who plays a mean game and he's injury prone.

Old
08-30-2004, 08:28 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab77
IMO, adding a crease-clearing, hard-nosed, take-no-prisoners top-4 d-man would take Philly's defense to the next level (Top 5 in the league). Why was Richardson let go? He filled that position nicely. At the moment Markov is the only guy who plays a mean game and he's injury prone.
Richardson was not a top-4 player.

Old
08-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Nab77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Richardson was not a top-4 player.
On the contrary he most certainly was. He was actually top 3 on the Flyers back then after Desjardins and McGillis. Therien never was top 4 exept in Clarke's hallucinations. Nowadays he propably wouldn't be top 4 on the Flyers, though it's close with Ragnarsson.And Desjardins is getting up in age too not to mention slow as hell. On the Jackets Richardson is top 3 three still (which too much mins for him at this point in his career).

Old
08-30-2004, 09:48 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

if you didn't see the name on the back of his jersey, and just watche dhow he played, you'd think Markov was some small town kid western canada or minnesota

Old
08-31-2004, 08:07 AM
flyersrock1

We do need a Scott Stevens type d-man. And I don't care where he was born.

Old
08-31-2004, 10:07 AM
paxtang

Quote:
On the contrary he most certainly was. He was actually top 3 on the Flyers back then after Desjardins and McGillis. Therien never was top 4 exept in Clarke's hallucinations. Nowadays he propably wouldn't be top 4 on the Flyers, though it's close with Ragnarsson.And Desjardins is getting up in age too not to mention slow as hell. On the Jackets Richardson is top 3 three still (which too much mins for him at this point in his career).
Richardson is a top 3 D man on the Jackets because the Jackets have the worst D in hockey right now. Look, I love Luke, but he isn't a great D man, and is a very poor skater. And now, he isn't even a fighter anymore. The Flyers need a tough guy on the back end, but Richardson isn't the answer.

Old
08-31-2004, 12:21 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
And Marcus Ragnarsson is just as tough.

No worries about the number of Euros.

Old
08-31-2004, 12:37 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44
And Marcus Ragnarsson is just as tough.

No worries about the number of Euros.
Yeah, even Timander tried to fight Chara in the brawl last year.

Old
08-31-2004, 05:53 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Yeah, even Timander tried to fight Chara in the brawl last year.
Haha, I woudln't quite say that. Timmander was a suprise, but tough is not what I'd call him. That's like saying Somik is physical for getting his ass beat by Neil.

Old
08-31-2004, 06:44 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Richardson was a great player, but he struggled to put up 10 points in a season as I recall. Top 3 on the Jackets...have you looked at their D core lately...?

Old
09-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Richardson was a great player, ...?

Nice player.................yes
Great........come on!!!

Old
09-01-2004, 09:04 AM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Haha, I woudln't quite say that. Timmander was a suprise, but tough is not what I'd call him. That's like saying Somik is physical for getting his ass beat by Neil.
Yeah, but it shows he's got some bottle.

And how could you forget about Radovan "The Terror" Somik?

Old
09-02-2004, 12:50 PM
fan mao rong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever

Now the question with this text is....What is the connection between the Philly defense and Ottawa's forwards.

Closed Thread