HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

ESPN Power Rankings (Oct 17th)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2011, 12:58 PM
  #1
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
ESPN Power Rankings (Oct 17th)

Early of course, but still almost fell outta my chair. Years of ineptitude have perhaps made me a bit jaded.

Enjoy and let's keep it up this week in the Sunshine State...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:05 PM
  #2
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 8,900
vCash: 500
Balanced scoring? Whut?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:08 PM
  #3
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
I like it. The Rangers are fourth...from the bottom! LOL

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:20 PM
  #4
Wedregast
Registered User
 
Wedregast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 868
vCash: 500
I laughed when I saw we were 6th, Rangers 27th. Too bad this wasn't 4 games til the end of the season, instead of just 4 games into it. But I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

At least we have started to see what we have in our team for this season. Our goal tending shouldn't be a worry. Both Nabby and Montoya have at least shown they can play just fine. Our defense will get slightly better once Jucina is back and Mottau is on the bench (but it's our weakest link easy). And our Offense should be the least of our worries.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 01:21 PM
  #5
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Early of course, but still almost fell outta my chair. Years of ineptitude have perhaps made me a bit jaded.

Enjoy and let's keep it up this week in the Sunshine State...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

I care about these rankings as much as I do about the college football bowl system. Let's start a thread once we've CLINCHED a playoff spot. Short of that, polls are all talk.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:10 PM
  #6
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
I laughed when I saw we were 6th, Rangers 27th. Too bad this wasn't 4 games til the end of the season, instead of just 4 games into it. But I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

At least we have started to see what we have in our team for this season. Our goal tending shouldn't be a worry. Both Nabby and Montoya have at least shown they can play just fine. Our defense will get slightly better once Jucina is back and Mottau is on the bench (but it's our weakest link easy). And our Offense should be the least of our worries.
Scary that our biggest concern is that our "#1" goalie will get healthy, come back, and screw everything up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I care about these rankings as much as I do about the college football bowl system. Let's start a thread once we've CLINCHED a playoff spot.
Because we're an perennial playoff contender??

Of course it doesn't mean anything right now. It's early and we still have an onslaught on injuries to weather, but it's Monday on a message board that doesn't have a game till Thur so let me enjoy this tiny bit of positive news, Debbie Downer.




Quote:
Short of that, polls are all talk.
Sorta like message boards.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:30 PM
  #7
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post

Of course it doesn't mean anything right now. It's early and we still have an onslaught on injuries to weather, but it's Monday on a message board that doesn't have a game till Thur so let me enjoy this tiny bit of positive news, Debbie Downer.






Sorta like message boards.

Very true my friend. Very true.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 02:37 PM
  #8
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 1130
I dont want to jinx it but last year it when we were 4-2-2 it said Josh Bailey and the rookie Islander team is showing the league that there time is now. That week we started our decline and by Thanksgiving we were talking about who was better Ryan Nugent Hopkins or Sean Courturier

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:02 PM
  #9
JetsMetsIsles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Balanced scoring? Whut?
I think they meant Tavares is great at keeping his balance.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:16 PM
  #10
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I dont want to jinx it but last year it when we were 4-2-2 it said Josh Bailey and the rookie Islander team is showing the league that there time is now. That week we started our decline and by Thanksgiving we were talking about who was better Ryan Nugent Hopkins or Sean Courturier
I think this is a better team. Our GA is 2nd to detroit per game and we could easily have been 4-0 with a less languid 1st game. I could be wrong, but last year we relied a lot on offense. This year its been stingy defense and timely offense. Defense is a more sustainable winning model and the offense will come.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 03:40 PM
  #11
GrabnerIsGod
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
thats great and all but does anyone remember the great start we had last year and then completly fell apart. If this ranking stays close to the same throughout the season i will be extremly happy (expecially with the swap between rags and isles from last year)! I've gotta admit im so excited for this season and cant wait till we start getting more and more respect from the league and the media. Lets Go Islanders

GrabnerIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:00 PM
  #12
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
I think this is a better team. Our GA is 2nd to detroit per game and we could easily have been 4-0 with a less languid 1st game. I could be wrong, but last year we relied a lot on offense. This year its been stingy defense and timely offense. Defense is a more sustainable winning model and the offense will come.
From your lips to gods ears!!

All I want is for them to play hard.. even if we dont make the playoffs and give it 100% every game I will be proud of this team. I like how we ended last season and hope that same tenacity remains throughout the next 79 games!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:03 PM
  #13
Doug Height
Okposwag
 
Doug Height's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 6,395
vCash: 500
Wowzas

That's nice to see though.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:21 PM
  #14
OpAck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,230
vCash: 500
I'd have Eklund put a power rankings list together and I'd believe it more than ESPN.

With that said, it's purely fantasy fodder and nothing more.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 05:51 PM
  #15
hunter7isles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I like it. The Rangers are fourth...from the bottom! LOL
We all know these rankings would be completely different if the Isles didn't have the refs in their back pocket...

hunter7isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:29 PM
  #16
BossyMVP
Registered User
 
BossyMVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter7isles View Post
We all know these rankings would be completely different if the Isles didn't have the refs in their back pocket...
I read one post on the rangers board after the isles-rags game where one rag fan said that the refs were giving the isles the breaks because they are the young, up and coming team in the league and that the league wants the islanders to do well so the refs will give the islanders the breaks this season.

NOW... i've heard everything!

BossyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:30 PM
  #17
KrisBeKreame
Registered User
 
KrisBeKreame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
NHL.com has the Islanders ranked 10th in their "super" 16 teams

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:54 PM
  #18
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,642
vCash: 500
As I've said in a couple of the threads about the positive press the Isles have been getting, it's another milestone in the rebuild, where we're going from "perennial doormat" to "up-and-coming" team.

It's nice to see. Hope the team can continue to live up to it and perform.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:16 PM
  #19
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 9,980
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Just hope the team doesn't let these kinds of rankings give them a false sense of confidence (assuming they actually read them).

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:06 PM
  #20
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 8,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Just hope the team doesn't let these kinds of rankings give them a false sense of confidence (assuming they actually read them).
I'm not sure Gillies is able to read, so no worries about him.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:37 AM
  #21
drive45
Registered User
 
drive45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: closer than I appear
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Of course this kind of media hype is silly after 4 games, but it's good from a biz POV; it puts a damper on the whole "nobody cares about the Islanders" thing when you're talking about the new Coli or whatever.

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:01 AM
  #22
Sammy2010*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Nice!

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:25 AM
  #23
JJmcD
The Power Of Love
 
JJmcD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossyMVP View Post
I read one post on the rangers board after the isles-rags game where one rag fan said that the refs were giving the isles the breaks because they are the young, up and coming team in the league and that the league wants the islanders to do well so the refs will give the islanders the breaks this season.

NOW... i've heard everything!
Yeah, and the majority of the posts on the rags board said that the refs were getting ridiculous with their calls and not letting any of the players play.

By that logic, the Isles would have also been called for 8 penalties.

Also, rags fans would have been a bit more credible, except they have used the same peanlties excuse in all the games they have lost...which is all their games.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:46 AM
  #24
BOSSMAN22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Early of course, but still almost fell outta my chair. Years of ineptitude have perhaps made me a bit jaded.

Enjoy and let's keep it up this week in the Sunshine State...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

I live in the Tampa area so I'll be at Thursday's game, at least I get to see my boys twice a year...Go Isles!!!

BOSSMAN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:36 AM
  #25
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,684
vCash: 500
Love the positive vibes around this team right now.
Not to be anything but realistic, there is a long season ahead. It is entirely possible that the Isles will play very strong, competitive hockey throughout, but it is also entirely possible and likely that they will hit a rough patch. We will have to see how they respond to that.
As for our fans, some may be back on the ledge or carping and moaning after the next loss, especially if it comes in the Lightning game. It will reduce the record to a not so shiny 3-2, but in terms of the whole season, it has little meaning other than the 2 points at stake.
I will remain positive and hope to be rewarded when the rest of the offense shows up.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.