HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#06 | New York Islanders vs. Florida Panthers | Oct 22 | L 2-4

Old
10-23-2011, 10:13 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Don't bother, everybody here for some reasons ignores his awful pre-season because he was a part of the Penguins massacre.
Is it possible, just possible, that some of us saw his preseason which was not that good, but see Gillies getting a couple of shifts and would rather have Haley out there instead? It is entirely possible he could play his way back into real 4th line form and pot a few points. Sometimes you have to look at things from a relativity standpoint. I think Haley would have an easier time punking Hedman, for example, than Gillies would. That idiot Johnson tried to take him on last year during that sweet game and would have gotten trashed had not the goon on the bench saved him at the last second. Johnson would never have danced with Gillies. Lots of players will take Haley on due to his short height which will 9 times out of ten end well for the Islanders. No one besides the designated fighter on the other club will take on Gillies. That might be the reason some of us want Haley here. Hope you can respect that line of thought.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Groin Of Bates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Is it possible, just possible, that some of us saw his preseason which was not that good, but see Gillies getting a couple of shifts and would rather have Haley out there instead? It is entirely possible he could play his way back into real 4th line form and pot a few points. Sometimes you have to look at things from a relativity standpoint. I think Haley would have an easier time punking Hedman, for example, than Gillies would. That idiot Johnson tried to take him on last year during that sweet game and would have gotten trashed had not the goon on the bench saved him at the last second. Johnson would never have danced with Gillies. Lots of players will take Haley on due to his short height which will 9 times out of ten end well for the Islanders. No one besides the designated fighter on the other club will take on Gillies. That might be the reason some of us want Haley here. Hope you can respect that line of thought.
Or, even more basic than that:

Haley is 10x the hockey player that Gillies is. Even if Haley pots 0 points, the element of toughness will be the same except without the detriment of essentially playing a man short all game.

And, this is coming from a guy who doesn't support all of the Haley love.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:09 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
I suppose if we get a "real" GM then it would be all SUNSHINE AND BUTTERFLIES YAAAAAAAYYYYY!! SCOTTIE UPSHALL 1st LINE!!

Yep, let's start *****in' 6 games in in pretend that 75% of our scoring will all play like crap for the entire year.
I don't think the problem is with Snow and I'm not thinking it's Cappy.

We don't play tough. We play like wimps out there.

We did under Lavy year two, under Stirling a lot, under Nolan a lot, REALLY did under Gorton and now this season under Capuano.

Snow wasn't GM all that time. Snow got some good talent, some who hit well and some who don't.

I see nothing wrong with the roster, EVEN with Gillies on it a lot of games. I don't think we lack talent. I think we just have guys playing like they'd get in trouble if they hit.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:26 AM
HookeyPookey*

at least Gillies tries minor point I know but if half the team tried or put as much effort in as Gillies we'd be doing alot better.

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Ziggy16

snow played on those teams.. he would know if its the same thing related to that.. or if hes hiding it b/c its some "outside" interference

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:43 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Don't bother, everybody here for some reasons ignores his awful pre-season because he was a part of the Penguins massacre.
You can absolutely disregard his preseason. An energy player on a team with little energy was totally needed. Did I miss Rolston, Gillies, or anybody else's stellar pre-season?

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Draft lottery is what Snow's team does best. Nobody said to trade everybody. But sitting around for some of these kids to turn into true 1st and 2nd liners obviously isn't working.
Obviously!

After a .500 record after SIX games its obviously not working. Oh and that Tavares kid obviously isn't working either right?

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:03 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
Or, even more basic than that:

Haley is 10x the hockey player that Gillies is. Even if Haley pots 0 points, the element of toughness will be the same except without the detriment of essentially playing a man short all game.

And, this is coming from a guy who doesn't support all of the Haley love.
Pretty much. I am wondering if Mike has wound up in the dog house for something unknown to the general population too. If they are trying to keep Gillies with Martin for mentor purposes I'd almost rather they did that too with Haley as they are both middle weights. Or maybe we both need to just drink more before the next couple of games. It's a tough call.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:16 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Obviously!

After a .500 record after SIX games its obviously not working. Oh and that Tavares kid obviously isn't working either right?
Can you stop using the record as evidence this team will "get better"? They are what they are, average AT BEST. Is that not clear as day by now, or should we wait for the next 3-3 in the next 6 games to come to this conclusion?

Garth doesn't make hockey trades, and clearly not even the great Nabokov can save this hockey team and the way it's playing. So let's stop using every excuse in the book to cover up what we are.

My expectations have risen, I'm over the rebuild talk. So if this team drafts top 5 again Garth should walk blindfolded down Hempstead Turnpike, that's how pathetic his "attempt" at makign this team good has been.

I mean, for god sakes, look at the game day threads. Many of us said even after the amazing Rangers win that this team is just not clicking. It has been documented since before the season even started. There is now a pattern of play, not a break from a trend, and it dates back to training camp in September.

So either we, as fans, stop making excuses or we continue acting like what we are seeing is just temporary for the start of a season. The quality of hockey is so bad right now for this team that it's ALARMING.

Am I not allowed to form this opinion because it's 6 games? Should I be happy? if we win our next game? Does that just suddenly erase our problems?

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:59 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
You can absolutely disregard his preseason. An energy player on a team with little energy was totally needed. Did I miss Rolston, Gillies, or anybody else's stellar pre-season?
Rolston didn't get a chance to play in preseason because of injury, doesn't matter how much energy he plays with if he can't stay out of the ****ing penalty box.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Can you stop using the record as evidence this team will "get better"? They are what they are, average AT BEST. Is that not clear as day by now, or should we wait for the next 3-3 in the next 6 games to come to this conclusion?

Garth doesn't make hockey trades, and clearly not even the great Nabokov can save this hockey team and the way it's playing. So let's stop using every excuse in the book to cover up what we are.

My expectations have risen, I'm over the rebuild talk. So if this team drafts top 5 again Garth should walk blindfolded down Hempstead Turnpike, that's how pathetic his "attempt" at makign this team good has been.

I mean, for god sakes, look at the game day threads. Many of us said even after the amazing Rangers win that this team is just not clicking. It has been documented since before the season even started. There is now a pattern of play, not a break from a trend, and it dates back to training camp in September.

So either we, as fans, stop making excuses or we continue acting like what we are seeing is just temporary for the start of a season. The quality of hockey is so bad right now for this team that it's ALARMING.

Am I not allowed to form this opinion because it's 6 games? Should I be happy? if we win our next game? Does that just suddenly erase our problems?
Fans can form any opinion they want, that is why they are fans. I'm just thankful that fans do not run professional sports franchises because if they did it would be more of a circus than what the Islanders were during the Milbury years.

I'm not using the record to show that we will "get better." I'm using the record to show that we are a .500 team after 6 games. Some people are acting as if we are winless and there has been no positive play at all. The defending cup champion Bruins are 3-5-0..is it time to fire their GM and coach too?

We win a game and people are calling Snow a genius and Capuano a potential Jack Adams award winner, we lose the next one they both should be fired?

Don't get me wrong, I am not happy by the record or by how the team has played, but for Christ sake they have played 6 games.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote