Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Chicago Express inaugural season opener

Old
11-02-2011, 12:31 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Correct. Drektah was just some normal fan who got lucky and won the lottery and he was the owner of the Rockford Icehogs(the team Martinson coached then)thats why Martinson is your coach...

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:35 PM
adsfan

I thought this is why Steve Martinson is the coach. I was at this game!

Last edited by LadyStanley: 11-02-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: embed you tube vid
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 11:55 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

adsfan: That's nothing - I was at the game where he, as a coach of the WCHL Gulls, got into a fight with one of the WCHL Phoenix _players_ as they came out for the 3rd period.

HansH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 08:38 AM
kings7475
Rookie User

Express Gut Feel

[QUOTE=

Here's just hoping that the Express' first home game at the Sears Centre goes better than the Hounds' first home game at the Sears Centre.... [/QUOTE]

What are the tickets costs, food prices, parking, overall feel of organization. Any tips on what are the best seats....bargain...quality of play?

kings7475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 09:55 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kings7475 View Post
What are the tickets costs, food prices, parking, overall feel of organization. Any tips on what are the best seats....bargain...quality of play?
Tickets are fairly cheap, so long as you don't want to sit right on the glass. $9-17 for almost everything, except a few areas:

As for best seats, I've been sitting in section 113, and they're great. Have a fantastic view of the goal nearest me, and honestly even when they're on the other end of the ice it's not like it's really bad or anything. Plus, plenty of open seats, so ya can probably move no problem, really.

Food prices are a bit steep for the most part, not horrendously so but seems a bit high for minor league concessions, but you can get unlimited refills on a large bottomless soda for.... $5 or $6 or so, I think? So three of refills in a game end up being a decent deal. Food's okay though, nothing really to stick your nose at or to get too excited for.

There's a huge amount of parking around the area, but to be completely honest the official parking is a rip-off at $10, especially considering the fact that they never pack the lots to capacity and there's a crapload of parking within a half mile of the arena (seriously, Google Map Sears Centre Arena to see for yourself). Honestly have half a mind to see if I can park in the Cabela's parking lot or elsewhere nearby for free, but wouldn't be surprised if Hoffman cracks down on that, haha.

Organization seems nice for the most part. They've had a few snafus at one game, where they neglected to censor some of the songs that they played, so the occasional swear was audible (and, for some technical reason, I assume, they dropped the F-bomb that one game on the big screen when it seemed to glitch and air the car scene from Hangover), and that clearly ticked off a couple of the parents that were nearby to me. Besides that though, they seem pretty on the ball, are interested in customer service, and overall seem to be fairly interested making a customer friendly atmosphere at the arena.

Which actually leads me to my only complaint.... the overall atmosphere. Not knocking the arena, as Sears Centre actually seems fairly nice, but the problem is that it does feel very cavernous so that when there only about 2,000 there, it feels positively empty. Not really their fault though, so not knocking them for that.

Oh, and for some reason, they've only got one cash register at the team store, so ya can be standing in line for a bit if you want to buy some team merch. That being said, they've actually got a good variety of stuff already, including three jerseys, a bunch of hats and shirts, pucks, and other stuff, so pretty easy to find something you'd like. Bought the away blue jersey and a navy hat with their alt logo, and am fairly happy with them.

Also, word for the wise, the quality difference between the $90 jersey and the $200 or so jersey doesn't really seem to be anything except a few minor things, so definitely buy the cheaper one if you feel like getting one.

Finally, as for the quality of play, I've honestly been pleasantly surprised. Never been to ECHL games before this year, so don't know exactly what I was expecting, but the speed of the game is actually still pretty good, the physicality is great, and overall the games are very entertaining. Obviously, they're no Blackhawks or Wolves, but well worth the value, imho.

Hope that helped.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Bacdahelup

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Saturday's game was a bit sparsely attended as well, unfortunately. Maybe 1,500, tops.

And sadly, there seem to be a few moron regulars behind the net with the unfortunate habit of shouting "shoot" every damn time the team gets the puck, so in a place as relatively cavernous as the Sears Centre it's noticeable and gets annoying damn fast.

That aside, have had a blast at the three games attended so far. Just hope more people start showing up to give the games a bit more atmosphere and drown out the dozen or so morons.
We get a lot of those here in Toledo on the PP. SHOOOOT!!! SHOOOOT!!! Good gawd. These
are the morons who never played the game. When I was younger, I was in a game at the university
and we were down 5-4 with the goalie pulled under a min left. I was back near the blue line with a guy
right in front of me. I just figured wtf I'll just shoot it. Went off the toe of his skate right back past me. He
had an easy empty netter to win. Never did that again. Just shoot it can just shove it.

Bacdahelup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 02:56 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

A lot more folks at tonight's game. Probably in the 3,500 to 4,000ish range.

Here's hoping that's a sign that more people will keep showing up.

Old
11-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Quote:

Awesome I can attest every market it seems gets more people this time of year. I guess it's football winding down and other things. Greenville just had a debacle of sorts with a rescheduled time we had our lowest attendance but I expect we'll have a big December.

Also looked like Chet Pickard has a pretty bad game 12 shots against and 2 go in with a big L.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 11:03 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
Also looked like Chet Pickard has a pretty bad game 12 shots against and 2 go in with a big L.
And he was even worse than his numbers would indicate, actually, as there were four or five shots that hit metal, so he just got saved a few times as those don't even count as shots on net. On top of that, the eventual game-winning goal was entirely his fault, as it resulted directly from a bad puck playing decision behind the net and the fact that he took his time getting back into position, allowing a fairly easy goal for the Express.

Old
11-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Johnny8242

Quote:
And he was even worse than his numbers would indicate, actually, as there were four or five shots that hit metal, so he just got saved a few times as those don't even count as shots on net. On top of that, the eventual game-winning goal was entirely his fault, as it resulted directly from a bad puck playing decision behind the net and the fact that he took his time getting back into position, allowing a fairly easy goal for the Express.
Ouch, You have a favorite player now ?

Old
11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Awesome I can attest every market it seems gets more people this time of year. I guess it's football winding down and other things. Greenville just had a debacle of sorts with a rescheduled time we had our lowest attendance but I expect we'll have a big December.

Really? With the holidays coming up and people going broke I would expect attendances down into late January.

Old
11-20-2011, 07:42 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:

Nope.

Only 2,640

http://echl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=8929

Old
11-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Johnny8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Really? With the holidays coming up and people going broke I would expect attendances down into late January.
Well here Football hurts the attendance early . Last year we had pretty big crowds in December in January. Lots of promotions too. I really hope ECHL doesn't give Greenville 12 home dates before Thanksgiving next year.

Old
11-20-2011, 10:41 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Well here Football hurts the attendance early . Last year we had pretty big crowds in December in January. Lots of promotions too. I really hope ECHL doesn't give Greenville 12 home dates before Thanksgiving next year.
Damn. People in Greenville must be rich. Usually holiday time kills the entertainment budget.

We have had I think 10 home dates so far.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:05 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Great game all around for the Express tonight. Crowd was large and energetic, probably more people there than any previous game I've been to save for opening night, and the team put on a show and managed to come from behind and win it in overtime.

Think the Express are finally settling into their own, so things are looking good for them, imho.

Old
12-10-2011, 12:13 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Great game all around for the Express tonight. Crowd was large and energetic, probably more people there than any previous game I've been to save for opening night, and the team put on a show and managed to come from behind and win it in overtime.

Think the Express are finally settling into their own, so things are looking good for them, imho.
They now lead the Eastern Conference. Damn I miss Marty....his teams put on shows AND win. He's also buddy buddy with the owner and is from Minnesota and still has his home in Rockford, suffice to say he's yours until he doesn't want it anymore.

Old
12-10-2011, 03:59 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
They now lead the Eastern Conference. Damn I miss Marty....his teams put on shows AND win. He's also buddy buddy with the owner and is from Minnesota and still has his home in Rockford, suffice to say he's yours until he doesn't want it anymore.
Glad to hear.