HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easy-to-make backyard rink

Old
10-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Twist and Shout

vCash: 500
Easy-to-make backyard rink

Are there any rink in a box kits that can be put together and maintained by someone with minimal experience? I know I tried to put together a JiffyIce rink a couple of years ago and wasn't too successful. Also, what are tricks to adjust for a small incline in the surface?

Hoping to set one up this winter!

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

It's getting pretty close, we are already supposed to get snow flurries tomorrow.
They are ridiculously expensive but I've researched Nicerink.com. I know they have tiny ones in a box. I myself am looking to do something like a 50x80. Most I talk to tell me they are unsuccessful and ends up a big mess.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I believe I ran across a similar thread in this subforum. Try searching it up. There were extensive discussion about people's experience building one and its pricing.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:07 AM
johnny1976

Save your money. I put up a 50x70 foot rink each year. Go to a lumber yard and get treated 1x10's and some metal brackets to hold them together, or if you want to get an extra 1x10 and cut it down to little pieces and use for them for the braces. You can find tarps to use as a liner. If the tarps do not come in the size you need I found a boat cover that worked for me. All this was a hell of a lot cheaper than one of those rink kits.

About the slope, I have the same problem. I had to make my rink a little smaller to get the ice I wanted. I stack two 1x10 on top of each other because I get a foot of ice in one corner and 3 to 4 inches of ice at the opposite corner.

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1976 View Post
Save your money. I put up a 50x70 foot rink each year. Go to a lumber yard and get treated 1x10's and some metal brackets to hold them together, or if you want to get an extra 1x10 and cut it down to little pieces and use for them for the braces. You can find tarps to use as a liner. If the tarps do not come in the size you need I found a boat cover that worked for me. All this was a hell of a lot cheaper than one of those rink kits.

About the slope, I have the same problem. I had to make my rink a little smaller to get the ice I wanted. I stack two 1x10 on top of each other because I get a foot of ice in one corner and 3 to 4 inches of ice at the opposite corner.
how are you resurfacing it? just adding water and smoothing it?

Old
10-26-2011, 03:02 PM
johnny1976

Axman,

All I do to resurface is to shovel first and take a garden hose with different settings and spray it. Depending on how much use it got, or if I have shell ice I will put a light coat of water on there and let it freeze and check it and do it again until I have smooth ice.

I also have a homeboni (spelling?) and it works really good also, but it sucks dragging the hose all around.

johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1976 View Post
Axman,

All I do to resurface is to shovel first and take a garden hose with different settings and spray it. Depending on how much use it got, or if I have shell ice I will put a light coat of water on there and let it freeze and check it and do it again until I have smooth ice.

I also have a homeboni (spelling?) and it works really good also, but it sucks dragging the hose all around.
Gotcha. Thanks for the help!