HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Drills WITHOUT Sticks/Pucks

Old
10-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Hockey Drills WITHOUT Sticks/Pucks

Just so everyone knows, I'm currently in Shanghai, where S/P is NOT offered at the local rink.

I have a hockey buddy who's around my level in skating/playing. I was wondering if anyone know of purely hockey drills or skating drills that can be done with two people? Remember, no sticks and pucks. I was thinking of things like playing tag on the ice, perhaps on-ice wrestling/shoving to practice balance? Anyone got any advice?

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:27 PM
flyers10

Most skating drills a novice skater does are without a puck. Even a lot of higher end drills do not require a puck. If you can't take a stick on the ice just pretend to hold onto a stick (air hockey instead of air guitar - ) and search youtube for skating drills. You'll find tons for forward stride, backward, crossovers front & back, transitions, balance drills, etc.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
Most skating drills a novice skater does are without a puck. Even a lot of higher end drills do not require a puck. If you can't take a stick on the ice just pretend to hold onto a stick (air hockey instead of air guitar - ) and search youtube for skating drills. You'll find tons for forward stride, backward, crossovers front & back, transitions, balance drills, etc.
Like I said, I was thinking of drills or even just fun practices that involves two people. I thought playing on ice tag could help train agility/speed. Something along the lines of that.

Old
10-23-2011, 12:14 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Like I said, I was thinking of drills or even just fun practices that involves two people. I thought playing on ice tag could help train agility/speed. Something along the lines of that.
You can do some tight turn drills, lots of transitions, and of course suicides. Most public skates won't permit tag.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:26 AM
beth

One of you can skate forwards and the other is backwards trying to match their changes in direction or angle them towards the boards.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
One of you can skate forwards and the other is backwards trying to match their changes in direction or angle them towards the boards.
That's a great idea, thanks!