HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

[FLA/VAN] Canucks acquire Booth, Reinprecht, own 3rd in '13 for Sturm, Samuelsson

Old
10-22-2011, 06:34 PM
gobi

vCash: 500
Wow...didn't expect this. Nice trade for us.

gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...ris-If/1/39091

Eklund article saying that VAN will trade for Turris if they make a deal with FLA first

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:35 PM
MS

A bit surprised at how super-positive people are about Booth.

This is a player who looked great in 2008-09. But since his concussion issues, he's been crap. 41 points and a -37 in 88 games over the past 2 years.

Don't see him play a lot, but have heard reports that he's shied away from contact and been much less involved since his injury.

Like I said above, if Booth can score 25 goals while providing a solid all-around game, this is a good deal. If he's the player who played for Florida recently, it's a terrible one.

I'm giving this a tentative thumbs-up but am very nervous about Booth given his recent performance and the amount of years left on his contract.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

YESSSSSSS!!!

OMG we are finally rid of Samuelsson! What an absolutely garbage player we unloaded. I cannot stand him. Good riddance you useless scrub. Go cough the puck up and play D like a retarded baboon somewhere else. I cannot believe we finally rid ourselves of this waste of cap space. And to think, he brought us Booth! You are a Wizard Gillis. LOVE IT

Sturm. You suck.

Welcome Booth! What a steal by Vancouver. Wow.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hyack57

I have the Canucks newsfeed on Facebook and it's hilarious to read as the fairweather facebook fans all condemn Gillis for this move. "Samuelsson is clutch!" "Why?" "This sucks"... LOL

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

This is a player who looked great in 2008-09. But since his concussion issues, he's been crap. 41 points and a -37 in 88 games over the past 2 years.

Don't see him play a lot, but have heard reports that he's shied away from contact and been much less involved since his injury.

Like I said above, if Booth can score 25 goals while providing a solid all-around game, this is a good deal. If he's the player who played for Florida recently, it's a terrible one.

I'm giving this a tentative thumbs-up but am very nervous about Booth given his recent performance and the amount of years left on his contract.
I actually agree. Booth seems to have the same contract as Ballard... those are two contracts that might look real bad in the future.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Kesler is Bestler

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post

Eklund article saying that VAN will trade for Turris if they make a deal with FLA first
"If [the canucks] free up space". Well we just lost space, so maybe Turris is going to Florida?

Kesler is Bestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

vCash: 50
Oh my! This should be very interesting. On the surface it appears to be a good trade, though Booth has been performing poorly so far this year. Hopefully he just needs a change of scenery.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
serge2k

So...

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Booth
Raymond Malholtra Hodgson

not bad.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
opendoor

Yeah, maybe I'm underestimating Booth (which is entirely possible as I haven't seen a ton of him), but I don't see this as a huge slam dunk. Sturm for Reinprecht is crap for crap, so basically it's Samuelsson for Booth. That'll be great if Booth can live up to his contract, but he's signed for 4 more years, so if he isn't great that could be a bad contract to have.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

Who was Booth's center in Florida again?

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

@sportsnetmurph, Reinprecht will head to the farm. So the #Canucks, for now, are about $87,000 under the cap and not using LTI relief.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Canucker

Quote:

to clear up cap space...i don't think this deal did much to clear up any cap space.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleach Clean

I'm unsure that this is a steal. Booth is behaving like a 3rd liner that is getting paid 4.25 mil for a very long time. While Florida maintains cap for this year, and then clears it next to go after someone better. To add, Booth is a "grinder" type like Kesler, and I don't think they will mesh well. Kesler either needs a sniper or a playmaker. Booth is neither.

I'm really hoping this works out.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonIsOnTheRoofAgain View Post
YESSSSSSS!!!

OMG we are finally rid of Samuelsson! What an absolutely garbage player we unloaded. I cannot stand him. Good riddance you useless scrub. Go cough the puck up and play D like a retarded baboon somewhere else. I cannot believe we finally rid ourselves of this waste of cap space. And to think, he brought us Booth! You are a Wizard Gillis. LOVE IT

Sturm. You suck.

Welcome Booth! What a steal by Vancouver. Wow.
Booth was -31 last year

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tantalum

I REALLY hate to say this but Eklund today earlier said the canucks were going to deal for Turris but had to clear salary first in a deal with Florida. So far he is half right.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:39 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Canucks were already my #2 team. This just cements that. Love Booth. Fan of Reinprecht too.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
mossey3535

Quote:

Forget Turris, I'd rather get Doan. If Hodgson isn't going to stick, why would Turris? Especially with Booth on the roster now.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
"If [the canucks] free up space". Well we just lost space, so maybe Turris is going to Florida?
They actually gained space and are now out of LTIR territory (for now at least).

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:40 PM
metric

Wonder if it's Florida's third or our third that we sent for Higgins.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Dana Murzyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Samuelsson was an underrated player here and I'll miss his offensive cleverness, but you have to wonder with his age and health whether or not his best days were in the rear view mirror. Sturm...not a good start of the year for Sturm. Hopefully he finds his legs in Florida.

I don't know enough about Booth to really comment. He's got a big ticket contract. If he can sort out his defensive issues and play a hard nosed game he could be a perfect fit in the top six.
My thoughts exactly.

Booth was a terrifying -31 last year. I know, I know, it was Florida -- but still. Minus 31? That's waaay worse than anyone else on the team.

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Canucker

At least with Booth you are getting more of a physical presence than Samuelsson, and he's not shy about shooting either.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
to clear up cap space...i don't think this deal did much to clear up any cap space.
Reinprecht is in the minors; his salary doesn't count though we do have to pay it.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tantalum

I think Gillis just gave his team a kick in the ass while at the same time admitting he made a mistake with Sturm.

Why does FLorida do the deal? That I don't understand.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
I actually agree. Booth seems to have the same contract as Ballard... those are two contracts that might look real bad in the future.
Exactly.

We've seen how Ballard's contract essentially cost us a superior player in Ehrhoff.

Booth may end up being the exact same deal. We'll see.

This will probably be a good trade for this season as it's difficult to imagine Booth playing worse than Sturm or Samuelsson. But you'd have to think we could have picked up a superior player with the $5 million in cap space from the expiring Sturm and Samuelsson contracts next offseason. This closes that door.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote