HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hello Panthers fans from UK

Old
03-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Matt UK

vCash: 500
Hello Panthers fans from UK

Hi everyone, I've just signed up here and thought I'd post to say hi to all the Panthers fans here.

I live in the UK (Wales) and although I've always enjoyed NHL when it's been on, I've recently really been bitten by the bug and am becoming so addicted that I bought NHL Gamecentre live.

I'm very much a newbie when it comes to NHL and my knowledge is very basic but I'm trying my best to follow and the Panthers seem to have become my preferred team due to having watched quite a few of the their games recently - the face off times are usually the most friendly for the UK (with many games starting here at midnight which makes it difficult to watch).

I hope to learn more about the Panthers on here, I'm particularly interested in learning more about the player's styles/line chemistry etc to helpe me gain a better understanding. Maybe you guys can help??

Am looking forward to the Detroit game on Sunday night - the Blue Jackets game was pretty poor. Need to start hitting the net and collecting points if they are to make play-offs.

Matt UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:58 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt UK View Post
Hi everyone, I've just signed up here and thought I'd post to say hi to all the Panthers fans here.

I live in the UK (Wales) and although I've always enjoyed NHL when it's been on, I've recently really been bitten by the bug and am becoming so addicted that I bought NHL Gamecentre live.

I'm very much a newbie when it comes to NHL and my knowledge is very basic but I'm trying my best to follow and the Panthers seem to have become my preferred team due to having watched quite a few of the their games recently - the face off times are usually the most friendly for the UK (with many games starting here at midnight which makes it difficult to watch).

I hope to learn more about the Panthers on here, I'm particularly interested in learning more about the player's styles/line chemistry etc to helpe me gain a better understanding. Maybe you guys can help??

Am looking forward to the Detroit game on Sunday night - the Blue Jackets game was pretty poor. Need to start hitting the net and collecting points if they are to make play-offs.
Leave. There is only one lord of the British Panthers, only one, and he does not share power.

Awesome to see another UK Panthers fan. Realistically, of the few UK fans who do exist, the Panthers are likely to be the last choice. I only support the Panthers because when i was 13 i played the NHL 2003 demo and selected the Panthers based on their colour scheme.

Just one of many life mistakes so far. I should have researched. Instead i've metaphorically been living in a toilet with no flush system seeing the excrement build and build.

I wonder if we amassed all the UK Panther fans, how small a cupboard would be required?

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Matt UK

ha! I've sort of taken them as my team because their game times meant I was able to watch them.

Couple of questions for you as a UK fan, do you watch many games or just the GMT friendly ones? Also, how do you keep up with all the action, so many games each night, teams playing four times a week?

Old
03-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Tweaked9107
Some say...

Send a message via MSN to Tweaked9107
Matt UK: "Which way to the BAC?"
Me: "Back the way you came."

DO NOT BECOME A PANTHER FAN. I made that mistake when my redneck Floridian best friend tricked me into it. I've been miserable ever since

Nah, it's not all bad really. Things are looking up nowadays (where have i heard that before?). I've found the majority of British hockey fans i've spoken to are Tampa or Florida fans. Must be because of the strong ties that we have with the state.

I too am a GameCenter subscriber. I had to suffer through the ESPN Player days where the quality was poor and the screen tiny, but now its great. Some of the games are in HD quality and if you have a laptop + HDMI socket you can hook them up on the big screen. The only downside is the timing of course. I generally can only watch games on a Friday or Saturday because of work, but every now and then i sneak in a mid-week game and just go into work like a zombie.

Tweaked9107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:21 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
ha! I've sort of taken them as my team because their game times meant I was able to watch them.

Couple of questions for you as a UK fan, do you watch many games or just the GMT friendly ones? Also, how do you keep up with all the action, so many games each night, teams playing four times a week?
I have NHL Gamecentre, and as of yet since graduation, i remain technically unemployed, so it's not difficult to find time to watch them throughout the day on archive.

I only tend to watch one game every day or two, depending on the matchups. I must confess to not watching many Panther games recently. I enjoy sampling all teams but do not have the stamina to watch 2/3 games per day and i tend to watch games based on particular players (Malkin, Kovalchuk for example).

I could never cheer for a different team to the Panthers, but i tend to have secondary teams i watch nearly as regularly.

Assuming we reach the playoffs, i shall be watching the Panthers every other morning at 10 AM whilst i attempt to wake up

I've only ever met one ice hockey fan in the UK, and he was a Dallas Stars fan who wasn't that informed on the NHL. I have a Uni friend who is somewhat interested in the NHL and is moving to the states to get married and will watch the Flyers. I always crushed him on NHL 08 (Record game was 17-0).

Unfortunately, the NHL is spreading about as quickly in the UK as sexual protection is in Sudan.

Edit : Nice avatar Kris Verstig. Shame nearly nobody will understand it!

Old
03-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Tweaked9107
Some say...

Quote:

I watch all the GMT friendly games, as well as all Friday and Saturday games. As i mentioned, i sneak in the odd mid-week game, and when im off work (i'm off for 2 weeks now) i watch all the games.

The only one's i struggle to watch are the away games in the west. When the games start at 10pm EST it's just too much. You'd be up till 5-6am watching those if you tried.

And it's surprising how many do actually understand my avatar.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Matt UK

Yeah, I hook my laptop up to my tv to watch the games and the quality is superb.

Gamecentre live is good but I just wished it would show some of the recap/news shows in their entirety rather than just segments as they do now. I used to enjoy On The Fly when it was on ESPN last year, they should just make that viewable to subscribers. As it stands I only watch one or two live games per week and the highlights are free so I don't think I'd subscribe again.

Anyway, what can you tell me about the key players?

Old
03-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Tweaked9107
Some say...

Quote:
Yeah, I hook my laptop up to my tv to watch the games and the quality is superb.

Gamecentre live is good but I just wished it would show some of the recap/news shows in their entirety rather than just segments as they do now. I used to enjoy On The Fly when it was on ESPN last year, they should just make that viewable to subscribers. As it stands I only watch one or two live games per week and the highlights are free so I don't think I'd subscribe again.

Even for one or two games a week i'd still subscribe. Love hockey too much not to. I too would love to have some form of Match of the Day style show but for hockey. Would make things a lot easier.

As for the key players.... (and this is of course a personal opinion thing)

Stephen Weiss is a 2nd line center playing on the 1st line. He is decent sure, but just isn't creative enough.
Kris Versteeg is a goal poacher really. He has a fairly decent shot and get's in some good scoring positions. He has been aweful of late though and hasn't scored in about 13 or 14 games now. He probably has the best puck handling skills, but he tries to do too much.
Tomas Fleischmann. Our best forward. He has a great shot and knows the ice better than most. His only downside is he can be inconsistant and doesn't have the confidence to use his shot more.
Brian Campbell. This guy is argueably the best player on the team. He is solid defensively and logs MASSIVE minutes, but it's going forward where he becomes the Panthers MVP. Great puck handling, smooth skating and good on ice vision make him un-replaceable.
Dmitry Kulikov This guy is still young and missed a sizeable chunk of the season. I'd say he is the perfect blend of defense and offense. He's worked hard defensively and seems to get better in the position every season, and he can also move the puck forward and create chances similar to Campbell.
Erik Gudbranson Guddy still has plenty to work on and i'm still hoping he develops a bit of an offensive game down the stretch, but he is a rock solid DFD for the future. He's also the guy you will see dropping the gloves the most.
Jose Theodore He has been rock solid in net for us, which has always seemed to be a strong point for the Panthers. Everyone worried when Vokoun (our goalie last season) went but this guy has filled the vacant pads very well.

Should really give a mention to Goc, Garrison and Bergenheim as well.

Last edited by Tweaked9107: 03-31-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old
03-31-2012, 10:43 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:

In relation to NHL gamecentre, i watch all games now on delay through the NHL vault. All games there have the intermissions and ads cut, so it is basically just 90 odd minutes of hockey. Perfect way to start the morning.

Something to understand about the Panthers is that we are currently amidst a rebuild. We've had alot of high draft picks (I assume you know what the NHL draft is, if not, it's the NHL's primary funnel for distrubting 18 yr old talent into NHL property each year). Most of the current team are vets whilst we await upon all the youth in the system. We currently have the best collection of prospects in the NHL (or atleast percieved). Probably akin to what many percieve Arsenal's academy to be (and like Arsenal, we didn't actually develop this talent). Whilst we wait on that talent to arrive, some of the key players :

Weiss ; Longest tenured Panther player. Drafted #4 in 2001 (So viewed as 4th best player amongst the 18 yr old generation in 2001). Small but skilled playmaker with solid leadership qualities who is a good, but not elite offensive player.

Versteeg ; Another undersized but creative player, who was acquired from Toronto. Had good rookie year in Chicago awhile ago, but struggled until arriving here. Similar to Weiss, very good offensive instincts, but just below being an elite offensize player in the NHL. Very good complimentary player, but not a star

Fleischmann ; The 3rd member of our big 3. Bigger than the other two, and probably more gifted. Very good stickhandler and very creative, but has suffered from inconsistency throughout his career to date. Acquired through free agency last year and was given a risky contract, but so far is living up to it. Like the other two players listed above, all are 26+

The rest of the Forwards consist of journeymen type players. No particularly dangerous Offensive weapons.

On D we have :

Brian Campbell ; Excellent puckmover who often gallavants into the offensize zone and is very Offensively orientated. One of the better Offensize Dman in the league, but whilst he isn't a liability in his own end, he isn't an elite Defender. He's a veteran now on a big contract.

Kulikov ; 1st round draft pick in 2009, he's a young two way Defenseman, Good puck mover and also very solid in his own zone. He's one of the better young two way Defenseman in the league, and might one day become an elite defender in the league. Our best young Defenseman

Gudbranson ; 3rd overall pick in 2010, very large physical defenseman who has good mobility. Doesn't possess the offensive abilities that Campbell/Kulikov have, but projects to be a very stout defensive player. I don't think he'll ever be a premier D in the league like some, but he's an excellent young player.

I'd say these are some of the more valuable or interesting players currently on our roster. If you have any questions about other players or our prospects, feel free to ask.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Matt UK

ah thanks for all the info guys - it's exactly what I wanted to know.

Fleischmann has caught my eye, he's LW right? I find it hard to analyse the players individually as the game is generally so fast and the lines changes frequently but I tend to agree with what you say about Weiss.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Tweaked9107
Some say...

Quote:
ah thanks for all the info guys - it's exactly what I wanted to know.

Fleischmann has caught my eye, he's LW right? I find it hard to analyse the players individually as the game is generally so fast and the lines changes frequently but I tend to agree with what you say about Weiss.
There is a bit of a learning curve to it but eventually you learn who is who just from their body shape/stance and skating style. Plus the giant numbers on the back help.

I remember when i first started watching (only about 4-5 seasons ago) i struggled with the pace. I was so used to watching slow paced football (soccer to the yanks) that i couldn't keep up. I couldn't find the puck for *****, but you learn to watch the players more than the puck itself, and always look where its going not where it is. It won't take long before the game slows down for you.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:56 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

I dislike that you say you regret the day you chose this team. I'm a proud Panthers fan, win or lose. It's been tough years for sure, but I'll never regret the day I became a Panthers fan. I love this team with all my heart, in the good and the bad times.

Welcome!

GO CATS GO!

And you misspelled Versteeg btw.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Welcome aboard.

03-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Boooooth10

Welcome, Matt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
I dislike that you say you regret the day you chose this team. I'm a proud Panthers fan, win or lose. It's been tough years for sure, but I'll never regret the day I became a Panthers fan. I love this team with all my heart, in the good and the bad times.

Welcome!

GO CATS GO!

He mispelled it on purpose. It's a reference to The Stig from Top Gear.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Welcome. Maybe try to join our GDTs if you get a chance, always some good dialogue going on there (if our team isn't melting down). Should help you learn some of the players better and more about the team.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:04 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
He mispelled it on purpose. It's a reference to The Stig from Top Gear.
Urgh.. should have known that..

Old
03-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Matt UK

Thansk for the comments - whats a GDT?

Old
03-31-2012, 11:09 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Thansk for the comments - whats a GDT?
Game Day Thread,

talking about the game as it goes on.. and things around the league, like scores etc.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Tweaked9107
Some say...

Quote:

Welcome!

GO CATS GO!

To be fair it's more a joke. I love this team, and i do not in the slightest regret the day i started following them.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Matt UK

Quote:
Game Day Thread,

talking about the game as it goes on.. and things around the league, like scores etc.
haha ok sorry - I'm not a complete idiot - honest - just relatively new to hockey and some abbreviations on here!

Old
03-31-2012, 11:33 AM
UKPanther
@GJenSports

Hello! I'm in the North-West (but support Telford).

UKPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:48 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:

Welcome!

GO CATS GO!

Verstig and his avatar refer to a UK television "celebrity".

I actually find it pretty hilarious supporting the Panthers. Logically, i am disgusted with myself, because Florida was an abomination of a choice.

But i am strangely proud of supporting a team that has been the statistically worst team in the NHL for 12 years.

I remember the first year i watched some of the NFL, i decided to support the Patriots based on their 15-0 record at the time. Yet they forgot to take the food out of the oven.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:32 PM
RainingRats

Welcome! You picked a good time to start following this team unlike J17 who bought at the bottom. You're catching this franchise on the upswing. I can say with full confidence, I've never been more excited about the future of this team.

If you're having trouble with the speed of the game try your best to not focus on the puck. "Zoom out" and watch the play develop. The game will start to slow down and you'll eventually see where it's going.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Tweaked9107
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Verstig and his avatar refer to a UK television "celebrity".

I actually find it pretty hilarious supporting the Panthers. Logically, i am disgusted with myself, because Florida was an abomination of a choice.

But i am strangely proud of supporting a team that has been the statistically worst team in the NHL for 12 years.

I remember the first year i watched some of the NFL, i decided to support the Patriots based on their 15-0 record at the time. Yet they forgot to take the food out of the oven.
See this is what my joke was about. It's not like being a Panther fan was handed down from a family member. I have no geographical reason to support them. I could of picked ANY team in the NHL, yet i chose the Panthers. And i like to joke about that.

Old
03-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Matt UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
If you're having trouble with the speed of the game try your best to not focus on the puck. "Zoom out" and watch the play develop. The game will start to slow down and you'll eventually see where it's going.
I don't really have much problem with the puck, my problem during the games is getting to know the players and when not watching, it's following all the scores with so many games being played!

I do wonder if NHL loses casual fans because of the intensity of the schedules with there being just so much action? I don't follow any other North American sports so can't really compare.

Anyway today, I watched Bruins @ Islanders and caught the end of Sens @ Flyers.