HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The Good err.... Bad and the Ugly

Old
10-22-2011, 09:32 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Is Ennis hurt?
Jammed his foot into the post at full speed after getting knocked down feet first into the net. Didn't look good for his ankle - tried to skate on the next commercial break, went back to the locker room. No official word that I know of.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
yes looked like he hurt his ankle, he left then came back tested it on the ice and went back into the dressing room.. My guess he misses a game or two at the most.. Appeared to be a minor ankle sprain IMO...
Damn. The kid cuts his hair and goes from slumping to buzzed and hurt.

10-22-2011, 09:37 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Damn. The kid cuts his hair and goes from slumping to buzzed and hurt.
Yeah, I'm not near ready to declare it "a game or two" injury based on him coming out and trying to skate on it. Skates provide a hell of a lot of stabilty there - it'd be the cuts and turns that would give him problems, and he didn't look very nimble at all skating around on it. Could swell up with the boot off, and it could trouble him awhile even if he can play through it.

Old
10-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Yeah, I'm not near ready to declare it "a game or two" injury based on him coming out and trying to skate on it. Skates provide a hell of a lot of stabilty there - it'd be the cuts and turns that would give him problems, and he didn't look very nimble at all skating around on it. Could swell up with the boot off, and it could trouble him awhile even if he can play through it.
Yep. They sometimes take more time to heal than a break. Ellis goes in I suppose.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:42 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Well the good thing is he doesn't "have" to play. At this point Hecht should be ready to go and even if not insert Ellis into the 4th line and promote Boyes to the top-6. Then he should work his way out of everybodys dog-house..

VAP
Roy-Leino-Boyes <---- Would love to see this get a look
Gerbe-Gaustad-Stafford
Kaleta-Ellis-McCormick

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Good:

The team played yet another strong hockey game. Nevermind the score, the Bolts had to scract and claw for everything they got and they needed a lucky bounce and a bad turnover to win. All things considered, the Sabres could be undefeated this season, rather easily.

The Sabre's blue line. It's something special, it really is. The way they move the puck is so uncanny, it's tough to compare because I don't recall ever seeing a slicker group of puck moving blue liners. Regehr is no exception, he's a very smart and accurate passer. As a big fan of defense man, I am in Hockey Heavan!

Stafford's great move to the slot late in the 2nd, he was an inch away from changing the whole feel of that game. He's been great all season.

Bad:

The Leino growing pains continue, he needs to spend a few hours watching tape when they get time. He seems pretty smart positionally, but he's making poor assumptions about where his linemates are. Just get it out! K.I.S.S. until you've settled into the system, stop overdoing it please!

Boyes. He's got great wheels and great hands and a good shot. Get some shots on net, spray the goalie with snow, show that your mad about not scoring. He aint getting chances and he ainy getting emotionally invested. Get mad please, depth only worka if everybody is bringing it every shift.

Ugly:

Ennis ankle bend. I know all about ankle surgury...it sucks.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:49 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Ugly:

Ennis ankle bend. I know all about ankle surgury...it sucks.
He isn't going to need surgery probably just a sprain. Although as Chain mentioned hard to gauge how long he will be out when sprained compared to a break..

Old
10-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
He isn't going to need surgery probably just a sprain. Although as Chain mentioned hard to gauge how long he will be out when sprained compared to a break..

Good to hear! It was a good sign to see him out there testing it, so it probably didn't blow up. BTW, "sprain" just means "torn". I think it's tougher too tear it in the direction his bent then the other way, so that's also a good thing I think.

Old
10-22-2011, 09:57 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Yep. They sometimes take more time to heal than a break. Ellis goes in I suppose.
So...guaranteed wins?

I fully expect the "record with Ellis stat" to be pimped by (a) certain poster(s) repeatedly between now and the time Ennis and/or Hecht are healthy.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:59 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Good to hear! It was a good sign to see him out there testing it, so it probably didn't blow up. BTW, "sprain" just means "torn". I think it's tougher too tear it in the direction his bent then the other way, so that's also a good thing I think.
I sprained my ankle once, worst 2 weeks ever I had plenty of pain pills though so it was business as usual after a couple of days..

Old
10-22-2011, 10:00 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
So...guaranteed wins?

I fully expect the "record with Ellis stat" to be pimped by (a) certain poster(s) repeatedly between now and the time Ennis and/or Hecht are healthy.
I won't be one of them.. Ellis drives me nuts. Not worse then Mike Ryan though..

Old
10-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
I sprained my ankle once, worst 2 weeks ever I had plenty of pain pills though so it was business as usual after a couple of days..

that sucks! mine was a type 3 sprain, which means it was all but ripped in 2. just a wee bit of scar tissue held it. kept rolling it because nothing was left to stabalize it. got it repaired but its a long road to recovery with an ankle. it just never feels right.

Old
10-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
that sucks! mine was a type 3 sprain, which means it was all but ripped in 2. just a wee bit of scar tissue held it. kept rolling it because nothing was left to stabalize it. got it repaired but its a long road to recovery with an ankle. it just never feels right.

-------

For real..... I have 5 pins and 2 plates in my ankle ..... still swells up when ever i play basketball or anything. Still don't have 100% confidence in it....always in the back of my mind.

I broke mine at work..... figured it was just a sprain and continued to work on it for another 3 hours. Went home..took my shoe off...iced and elevated it.... tried to walk on it an hour later....fell on my face..lol

So Ennis may not be out of the woods yet.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:22 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Good: rematch coming up

Bad: Ennis getting hurt

Ugly: Leino's blueline turnover

Great to see how Rehger and Myers are consistantly boxing out and sealing off the corners and the backboards. My guess is that Myers doesn't put up as many points this year because this is the year he understudies with Rehger and learns the nuances of the defensive game.

It will make him a more complete player and groom him for the Norris trophy. Whoever's idea this pairing was gets my full respect.

Also, ain't it about time to give Weber a shot?

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:31 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

i was disapointed with luke adam. At this point in their careers, leino seems to be a better option

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:37 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
i was disapointed with luke adam. At this point in their careers, leino seems to be a better option
Adam was real bad for sure. Probably something that isn't getting enough play right now, as his bad games are becoming more frequent and the good further apart. Might be in over his head a bit.

Old
10-22-2011, 10:41 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Well the good thing is he doesn't "have" to play. At this point Hecht should be ready to go and even if not insert Ellis into the 4th line and promote Boyes to the top-6. Then he should work his way out of everybodys dog-house..

VAP
Roy-Leino-Boyes <---- Would love to see this get a look
Gerbe-Gaustad-Stafford
Kaleta-Ellis-McCormick
I'd rather Roy center that line and put Leino back on the wing, see if it doesn't jumpstart him.

G: 3-1 roadie with a long homestand coming.

B: The loss, a shutout after such a great effort against Florida.

The fun: Mistakenly getting (assumably) inebriated texts from certain board members.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:54 PM
zts1986

Replace Adam with Leino on the powerplay. Adam has no place there.

zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:03 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Adam was real bad for sure. Probably something that isn't getting enough play right now, as his bad games are becoming more frequent and the good further apart. Might be in over his head a bit.

agree

I was real impressed with the match up with tampa. This game looked like it could have gone either way up until a point. Adam put it together quick this year. Vanek and pominville may be the most complete players that we have on offense.Adam has a unique offensive skill set for this team and he will be a more complete player. But I like having the confidence of vanek and roy. I guess i am just hoping that we can get hecht back soon.

vanek roy stafford
ennis adam pominville
hecht leino boyes
gerbe gaustad kaleta

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 10-22-2011 at 11:45 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

the good
- myers-regehr
- G-G-K
- Sabre fans in florida
- 1 potential confrontation avoided
- matt ellis jersey sighting, first ever

the bad
- Luke... is the honeymoon over?
- Gragnani... u shoudl've been benched games ago
- Boyes more uselessnessballls
- Leino, barf **** bagger hampster
- no goals... **** u

the awesome
= seats behind Miller for 50 bukcs

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
That's true but also he came out like 5 minutes later to try it, at least. You'd think they would have medically examined him when he was back in the locker room and then said "go test it out during a break". You'd think they wouldn't have told him to do that if it seemed major, which is why, I think, the fact they had him do that indicates it is probably a minor sprain. A minor sprain can still keep you out for a couple weeks, but at least we should be somewhat confident that it isn't a major sprain until told otherwise.

Good:
- The effort wasn't too bad, for the most part.
- Miller made some fine saves and the goals against were your standard no-chancers.
- I liked Ruff's line changes post-Ennis. Putting Leino on Roy and Staff's wing was the right thing to try, and I can't say I fault him for swapping Leino w/ Boyes after goal #2.
- This isn't about tonight in particular, but I feel like Sekera is playing very solidly this season. He's tying guys up around the net, playing strong along the boards, and playing with good confidence when the puck's on his stick. He hasn't had much in the way of his occasional brilliant offensive dominance, but that is secondary to him playing a solid, confident game. I wonder if being paired with a rookie hasn't had him playing a bit more like a veteran. The same concept could be playing into how well Vanek and Poms have been going with Adam between them.

Bad:
- Inability to break through Tampa's trap. They knew how Tamp was going to play and I'm sure they were given some coaching pointers on how to deal with it, yet they were able to do very little there. Better, unit-wide zone attacks were needed. Once in the zone with possession I thought they did a pretty good job.
- Key turnovers. Leino had a couple ill-advised ones himself (dump across defensive zone into empty space -- that's only something to even consider when you have NO other option -- was, to me, worse than his bad zone exit that resulted in goal #2).

Ugly:
- The powerplay. It should be better. Player movement was poor and decision-making was very shaky. Grags and Roy were both highly irritating to watch.
- Replay of Ennis' injury. Lucky he didn't break his ankle. The bend looked quite bad but slow motion really drives home things being bent the wrong way.
- Leino is going to get piled on now. While he deserves it to an extent, it's going to be ugly because he will be unfairly targeted. Turnovers from trying to do too much was an entire chapter in the book out on Leino, so no one can act surprised. Roy didn't play any better nor has he been playing any better so far this season. Leino will be the one taking the brunt of it from the media, fans, and coach, though.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:29 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Maybe, I'm taking it wrong, afterall that's not an uncommon thing around here

Buuuuut, are there really anyone who thought Adam was NOT going to have his "downs"? To pull him off lines, and special teams etc... Seems a bit harsh and knee jerk. I understand if he has a bad stretch (meaning 4-6 games back to back) where it is painfully obvious he needs a change. Sort of like how some are reacting to Boyes game. Adam has played most of the regular season (so far) well. I say give him at least that long to not play well before pulling him off lines or the PP etc...

I would like to see Weber in however. I just want to see him get some games. It doesn't matter to me who he replaces, just get him a few games.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:32 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Maybe, I'm taking it wrong, afterall that's not an uncommon thing around here

Buuuuut, are there really anyone who thought Adam was NOT going to have his "downs"? To pull him off lines, and special teams etc... Seems a bit harsh and knee jerk. I understand if he has a bad stretch (meaning 4-6 games back to back) where it is painfully obvious he needs a change. Sort of like how some are reacting to Boyes game. Adam has played most of the regular season (so far) well. I say give him at least that long to not play well before pulling him off lines or the PP etc...

I would like to see Weber in however. I just want to see him get some games. It doesn't matter to me who he replaces, just get him a few games.
My issue is that it's 3 not so good games out of 5 (and out of 4 that I've watched - I missed the Pittsburgh game), and 2 of them were flat out terrible...The bad games are flat out becoming more common.

Old
10-23-2011, 12:58 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
He's had a lot of bad luck in terms of +/- this year. Leopold has made a ton of brain-dead mistakes leaving him out to dry. 1st goal tonight started from a mini 2 on 1 when Leopold went for a skate, he defended it well but the puck ended up back at the point and in. 2nd goal was a brutal Leino giveaway. 3rd goal the empty netter when Myers couldn't hold the zone.....
He also had a brutal giveaway himself to Moore - MIller bailed him out.

Overall, Ehrhoff's defensive positioning has not been good IMO - too often he hangs out in the slot and doesn't pick up his man while Leopold has to do all the battling behind the net. He's been guilty at times of careless passes that lead to turnovers going the other way.

Still, I didn't expect him to be the defensive rock that Regehr is - Ehrhoff's value is on the offensive side. If the Sabres can ever find a way to get him open for his patented cannon, it'd help their power play immensely.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:05 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
He also had a brutal giveaway himself to Moore - MIller bailed him out.

Overall, Ehrhoff's defensive positioning has not been good IMO - too often he hangs out in the slot and doesn't pick up his man while Leopold has to do all the battling behind the net. He's been guilty at times of careless passes that lead to turnovers going the other way.

Still, I didn't expect him to be the defensive rock that Regehr is - Ehrhoff's value is on the offensive side. If the Sabres can ever find a way to get him open for his patented cannon, it'd help their power play immensely.
I agree on the giveaway part, he can be prone to the occasional facepalm-worthy pass.

I don't at all agree on the positioning part. Far more often its Leopold wandering away from his designated area leaving Ehrhoff to deal with two players. He's not overly physical, but he's effective in sealing off his winger to allow the puck to travel to the winger or his partner (depending on which way the puck is going). He reads the play well as both a defender and an attacker.

Ehrhoff is nowhere near just an offensive d-man. He's a guy that played the most minutes on a Vancouver defense that allowed the league's least amount of goals last season, and a guy that was steady defensively as a Shark (even if he never met expectations as a scorer there)

Last edited by jflory81: 10-23-2011 at 03:09 PM.