HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Good err.... Bad and the Ugly

Old
10-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Ehrhoff is nowhere near just an offensive winger. He's a guy that played the most minutes on a Vancouver defense that allowed the league's least amount of goals last season
Don't get too carried away with his ice time - remember, he saw a lot of PP time that padded his TOI, just as he's getting the most minutes now in Buffalo of all the defensemen.

It was pretty clear by the end of last season and into the playoffs that Bieksa and Hamhuis played a greater defensive role in the team's goals against than Ehrhoff did IMO.

One can look on paper at the Sabres GAA now and think that Ehrhoff, as the team leader in ice time, must be a big reason for that but Regehr/Myers/Miller have been far more of a factor in that IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
I agree on the giveaway part, he can be prone to the occasional facepalm-worthy pass.

I don't at all agree on the positioning part.
Same, Ehrhoff's positioning is most often text-book.

Good:
- Sekera
- Regehr
- not much else

Bad:
- losses happen, it wasn't anything tragic

Ugly:
- Tampa games are boring. Their style of play is really making me dislike them badly... SNOOOOZEFEST

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:05 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Don't get too carried away with his ice time - remember, he saw a lot of PP time that padded his TOI, just as he's getting the most minutes now in Buffalo of all the defensemen.

It was pretty clear by the end of last season and into the playoffs that Bieksa and Hamhuis played a greater defensive role in the team's goals against than Ehrhoff did IMO.

One can look on paper at the Sabres GAA now and think that Ehrhoff, as the team leader in ice time, must be a big reason for that but Regehr/Myers/Miller have been far more of a factor in that IMO.
Ehrhoff was tied for the lead in even-strength ice time per game for the Canucks last season at 18:17.

Ehrhoff leads the Sabres this season with 19:41 of ES ice time/game. A full 3 minutes ahead of any defenseman not named Jordan Leopold (who, despite being his partner, is a minute and a half behind). You're flat out wrong here.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Jagemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Sure thing. Sign up and make something. The thread is on page one.

You give yourself too much credit for something. Feel free to sign up for a GDT.
I guess you missed the point. I don't care if the GDT is minimal or mega jumbo size but the superstitious "minimalist gdt for the win" could stop now

Jagemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:57 AM
barcs

I wouldn't mind Lindy having Luke sit this next one out (assuming Ennis can play) just so he can get another perspective of the game. I think it was the Lightning that did that with Stamkos early on during his rookie year and it worked out well.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:53 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Adam was real bad for sure. Probably something that isn't getting enough play right now, as his bad games are becoming more frequent and the good further apart. Might be in over his head a bit.
Wait a minute.

Just a few days ago you complimented Adam on a another strong game against Florida (our last game). Now he is piling up the bad performances and thats not getting enough play?

He had 2g 2a 4pts in his first 2 games.

Then in 4 games leading up the the Tampa game

-He had a tough game against the Canes (no points and -2).
-He had a 2pt game against the Pens
-played not so great for half of the game against the Habs along with everyone else. Then was solid in the 3rd.
-You yourself said he had a strong game against the Panthers.

It looks like great game, great game, tough game, good game, started out tough ended good game, good game, tough game. Doesn't look like he has gone more than a game before bouncing back so far. Unless you're just taking about production.

Don't get me wrong he wasn't good last night and his production from the first two games that got everyone excited seems to be gone (1g 1a 2pts in the last 5 games, all those points in one game). But your post struck me as odd in light of your comments just a few days ago

Last edited by joshjull: 10-23-2011 at 09:20 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:04 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

G - The meatball sub I had during the first period. So delicious!!

B - Dripping a little bit of sauce on my jersey.

U - Having to make a beer run at the first intermission because my brother had friends over and they cleaned me out.

Oh, and the game sucked too. Tampa Bay has WAAY to much skill to be playing a fat trap.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:09 AM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Oh, and the game sucked too. Tampa Bay has WAAY to much skill to be playing a fat trap.
Having watched a few of their earlier games, I understand why they did. They were pretty awful defensively in some of them. I don't expect them to play the trap for the rest of the season, but I think it's a good way to get a team to think more defensively.

That said, I absolutely hate watching trap games. So boring.

Hopefully we can strike first in Tuesday's rematch to prevent that.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:21 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I hate the trap with an absolute passion. It's an abomination.

Old
10-23-2011, 09:35 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Ehrhoff was tied for the lead in even-strength ice time per game for the Canucks last season at 18:17.

Ehrhoff leads the Sabres this season with 19:41 of ES ice time/game. A full 3 minutes ahead of any defenseman not named Jordan Leopold (who, despite being his partner, is a minute and a half behind). You're flat out wrong here.
The Canucks had a very good top 4 that played pretty much equally at ES.

Ehrhoff ---> 18:17
Edler -----> 18:17
Bieksa ----> 18:04
Hamhuis --> 17:57

Ehrhoff was 1/4th of a very good top 4. The Nucks also had a Selke winning center in Kesler and a very good defensive center in Malhotra as well as Luongo in net. Lets not pretend Ehrhoff was the defense stud that Vancouver's anchored their defensive success to last year.

As for the minutes he gets now at ES. How does that equal he is strong defensively? He has gotten double shifted with Sekera in place of Grags because he can handle the extra minutes due to his skating and is better than Leopold defensively (hardly a high bar). He isn't getting those minutes due to his defensive prowess. Leopold lead the defense in ES minutes last year with 18mins. You certainly wouldn't argue he got those minutes because of his defensive prowess would you? He got them because of his skating ability.

I think Ehrhoff is solid defensively but he is hardly a great defensive dman.

Personally I'm not a fan of Ehrhoff getting those minutes at ES. Weber should be in and Ehrhoff should be down around 18mins with his partner. But thats more about Grags than Ehrhoff for me.

Last edited by joshjull: 10-23-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old
10-23-2011, 09:52 AM
joshjull

-The interesting

The dmen's ES ice time.

Leopold ---> 19:44
Ehrhoff ---> 19:01
Sekera ---> 18:46
Myers ----> 16:15
Regehr ---> 15:19
Gragnani -> 14:55

Leo and Sekera got big bumps in ES ice time. How Grags and Sekera are still paired I have no idea. Its pretty hard to get almost 4mins more at ES than your partner.

Regehr's slight drop can be attributed to us trying to score and playing our more offensive minded dmen. But for some reason that didn't include Grags at ES.

Last edited by joshjull: 10-23-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old
10-23-2011, 10:40 AM
gallagt01

The trap has absolutely stumped the Sabres under Ruff for a while. One of few complaints I have with Ruff - by now he should have something in place to set in motion when a team traps us.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Roy-Leino-Boyes <---- Would love to see this get a look
So would every opposing coach... those 3 have been individually miserable so far, and I can't imagine combining 3 giveaway machines will lead to good things.

Maybe we can throw them out with Leo and Grags to cover for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by zts1986 View Post
Replace Adam with Leino on the powerplay. Adam has no place there.
If Adam is on the half-wall, then I'd agree. Vanek and Adam should not be on the same PP unit since they should have the same role on the PP.

Last edited by Ralonzo: 10-23-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:32 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Its development at the expense of consistency. We rely too much on our 08 draft class and the ups and downs are something we should be building our lines accordingly.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:34 PM
threeVo

sabres just looked slow all night. Didnt help that we couldnt get a single bounce to go our way on some pucks in the slot, but those come when you outwork the opponent which we obviously didnt do

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:04 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
So would every opposing coach... those 3 have been individually miserable so far, and I can't imagine combining 3 giveaway machines will lead to good things.

Maybe we can throw them out with Leo and Grags to cover for them
I'd like to see it for like half a period. The entertainment value would be amazing.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:45 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Wait a minute.

Just a few days ago you complimented Adam on a another strong game against Florida (our last game). Now he is piling up the bad performances and thats not getting enough play?

He had 2g 2a 4pts in his first 2 games.

Then in 4 games leading up the the Tampa game

-He had a tough game against the Canes (no points and -2).
-He had a 2pt game against the Pens
-played not so great for half of the game against the Habs along with everyone else. Then was solid in the 3rd.
-You yourself said he had a strong game against the Panthers.

It looks like great game, great game, tough game, good game, started out tough ended good game, good game, tough game. Doesn't look like he has gone more than a game before bouncing back so far. Unless you're just taking about production.

Don't get me wrong he wasn't good last night and his production from the first two games that got everyone excited seems to be gone (1g 1a 2pts in the last 5 games, all those points in one game). But your post struck me as odd in light of your comments just a few days ago
I said he had 3 bad games out of the last 5 (and out of the last 4 games that I had watched). Canes, Habs, and last night against the Lightning. If you go back Adam was in my bad column for the Habs game (and obviously against the Canes as well). That's too many shaky performances in a short time frame IMO.

Old
10-23-2011, 02:47 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Quote:
The Canucks had a very good top 4 that played pretty much equally at ES.

Ehrhoff ---> 18:17
Edler -----> 18:17
Bieksa ----> 18:04
Hamhuis --> 17:57

Ehrhoff was 1/4th of a very good top 4. The Nucks also had a Selke winning center in Kesler and a very good defensive center in Malhotra as well as Luongo in net. Lets not pretend Ehrhoff was the defense stud that Vancouver's anchored their defensive success to last year.

As for the minutes he gets now at ES. How does that equal he is strong defensively? He has gotten double shifted with Sekera in place of Grags because he can handle the extra minutes due to his skating and is better than Leopold defensively (hardly a high bar). He isn't getting those minutes due to his defensive prowess. Leopold lead the defense in ES minutes last year with 18mins. You certainly wouldn't argue he got those minutes because of his defensive prowess would you? He got them because of his skating ability.

I think Ehrhoff is solid defensively but he is hardly a great defensive dman.

Personally I'm not a fan of Ehrhoff getting those minutes at ES. Weber should be in and Ehrhoff should be down around 18mins with his partner. But thats more about Grags than Ehrhoff for me.
I was responding to the comment that Ehrhoff got a lot of PP time to pad his ice time stats and that's why he leads the team in overall ice time. That was demonstratably false.

Old
10-23-2011, 03:07 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
sabres just looked slow all night. Didnt help that we couldnt get a single bounce to go our way on some pucks in the slot, but those come when you outwork the opponent which we obviously didnt do
One thing that worries me is "team speed".. With the exception of Ennis and Gerbe this team really lacks guys who can really move..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
So playing the trap is how they call now playing a great defensive game where the other team only had 20 shots.

I thought it was a very even game by both teams and that there was not a trap anywhere, and if it was, it looked like both teams did to me

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Afino
The Juice

Thanks for that unbiased opinion.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Pearce

i wish i could watch more Buffalo games here, in Ontario they usally only play the leafs

Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
-The interesting

The dmen's ES ice time.

Leopold ---> 19:44
Ehrhoff ---> 19:01
Sekera ---> 18:46
Myers ----> 16:15
Regehr ---> 15:19
Gragnani -> 14:55

Leo and Sekera got big bumps in ES ice time. How Grags and Sekera are still paired I have no idea. Its pretty hard to get almost 4mins more at ES than your partner.

Regehr's slight drop can be attributed to us trying to score and playing our more offensive minded dmen. But for some reason that didn't include Grags at ES.
They way Leopold and Sekera are playing right now, they can both get 25 ESM and I would not be surprised. Leopold has been the victim of some horrible Leino triggered minuses, but Sekera has played near flawless hockey almost every shift this season. Maybe it's time to start matching HIM against teams #1 lines.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:09 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
So playing the trap is how they call now playing a great defensive game where the other team only had 20 shots.

I thought it was a very even game by both teams and that there was not a trap anywhere, and if it was, it looked like both teams did to me
Pro tip : 1 soft forechecker and 4 across in the neutral zone is a trap.

Tampa deserved to win that game based on puck battles alone, but to say they didn't trap it up all night is laughable.

Old
10-23-2011, 09:30 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
They way Leopold and Sekera are playing right now, they can both get 25 ESM and I would not be surprised. Leopold has been the victim of some horrible Leino triggered minuses, but Sekera has played near flawless hockey almost every shift this season. Maybe it's time to start matching HIM against teams #1 lines.
Regehr-Myers are doing phenomenal defensively, so there's no need to put Sekera out there (I think it's important to separate "most ES minutes" with "hardest ES minutes"). However, if Sekera was out there (with Weber, not with Grags) I wouldn't start praying either. I think Sekera is in the "Andrej Meszaros in Philly" role--a relatively young, capable (Slovak) D-man who no longer has pressure on him because of the incredible depth ahead of him and thus can just play his game. The microscope isn't on him as much now. Meszaros flourished as a result, let's see if Sekera can do the same.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote