HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kirk Muller's Team

Old
10-22-2011, 11:37 PM
BigHab*

vCash: 500
Kirk Muller's Team

Here's an excerpt from a Gazette article on Kirk Muller's view of how he wants his team to play:

“I had a great conversation with (Predators coach) Barry Trotz and (assistant GM) Paul Fenton and (GM) David Poile, and they said: ‘We certainly welcome you to bring in your own system that you want,’” Muller said. “That was one of the attractions about coming here … the opportunity to kind of put my own stamp on a team and my own identity. So they’ve kinda given me the green light to have my own team here.”

And what kind of team will that be?

“Very aggressive,” Muller said without hesitating.

“You have to be good defensively, you have to be good without the puck,” he added. “But since the lockout and no red line, you’ve got to be able to score and you’ve got to be able to score at the right time. So I really stress for the guys to be a very aggressive forechecking team, and I tell my forwards that if they want to play here they gotta work … they’ve got to be workers and do a lot of skating and tracking down and heavy forecheck.”

Muller laughed when I suggested he wants his guys to play just like he did, earning the well-deserved nickname “Kirk is Work”.

“Everyone has to know how to play without the puck, but when it’s a turnover I want it to be a real quick transitional team that’s aggressive,” he said. “And I challenge the guys that even if you feel like you’re a defensive defenceman or a defensive forward, I think everyone’s capable of offence and trying to get everybody involved...."

I don't know about you but I like Kirk's way of thinking. Many on this forum have said, and I agree, that the Habs are built for this type of system, not what Martin is offering. Thoughts?

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:40 PM
theboss*

Wat we need. I knew when he left jm would get fired, I hope dat happen. I hope we get blown the **** out by floriday

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:52 PM
OneSharpMarble

That sounds great right now, JM is getting coached into the ground. It is beerleague/amateur hour out there.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:57 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 50
Muller can't do worse then what we are now
I think players would jump off a Clift for him over Martin any day

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:01 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I'm sure he wouldn't get 2 bench penalties in 1 game.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:19 AM
WeeBey

I'm really happy for the guy.

But as a Habs fan, it's too frustrating. It almost makes me question my own fandom sometimes. It's like, what's the point? Why even bother cheering for a team that's going to be perpetually handicapping itself to appease the French media? You can't just get the guy a ******* translator?

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:27 AM
Aceekay

it's like he's teasing habs fans: Lol i let my team score goals.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:06 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

sounds great in theory, like pretty much every system... the question though, can he implement it (with success) ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:53 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
Here's an excerpt from a Gazette article on Kirk Muller's view of how he wants his team to play:

“I had a great conversation with (Predators coach) Barry Trotz and (assistant GM) Paul Fenton and (GM) David Poile, and they said: ‘We certainly welcome you to bring in your own system that you want,’” Muller said. “That was one of the attractions about coming here … the opportunity to kind of put my own stamp on a team and my own identity. So they’ve kinda given me the green light to have my own team here.”

And what kind of team will that be?

“Very aggressive,” Muller said without hesitating.

“You have to be good defensively, you have to be good without the puck,” he added. “But since the lockout and no red line, you’ve got to be able to score and you’ve got to be able to score at the right time. So I really stress for the guys to be a very aggressive forechecking team, and I tell my forwards that if they want to play here they gotta work … they’ve got to be workers and do a lot of skating and tracking down and heavy forecheck.”

Muller laughed when I suggested he wants his guys to play just like he did, earning the well-deserved nickname “Kirk is Work”.

“Everyone has to know how to play without the puck, but when it’s a turnover I want it to be a real quick transitional team that’s aggressive,” he said. “And I challenge the guys that even if you feel like you’re a defensive defenceman or a defensive forward, I think everyone’s capable of offence and trying to get everybody involved...."

I don't know about you but I like Kirk's way of thinking. Many on this forum have said, and I agree, that the Habs are built for this type of system, not what Martin is offering. Thoughts?

that sounds like exactly what this team is built for... including having the kind of goalie who can make up for the occasional gaff due to being a bit too aggressive.

also strikes me as the kind of coach/system that players would enjoy playing in (and reality is that the more a player enjoys the style of play, the better everything goes).

and Kirk, given his history, and coaching demeanor, strikes me as the kind of coach whom players would respect enough to reward his "freedom" with the kind of both direction commitment he seems to be preaching.

all comes down to execution, and wether he has sound enough teaching skills to implement it in a way that it doesn't turn into simple run'n'gun. I would venture that working under Martin for the past few years was the perfect apprenticeship for him as Martin seems to be a very sound X's and O's coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
sounds great in theory, like pretty much every system... the question though, can he implement it (with success) ?
yup... but a big part of successful implementation in team sports is getting "buy-in" from the players, and building their confidence as they go through the natural struggles adjusting to the system.

Martin is notoriously weak in that regard, thus the revolving door of talented players who "can't" play for him, and the puzzling frequendy of stuggling/inefective players whom he tends to reward with suprising amounts of ice time.

Muller showed that even as an assistant coach, he can get and keep the players attention, remains to be seen if he can carry that over to the full time job...

i'm betting he can, and does, unfortunate for us that it will be with another team (unless maybe he finds his way back here next summer )

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:06 AM
LeMAD

No, just no. Muller is a cheerleader, that's not what we need.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I'm sure he wouldn't get 2 bench penalties in 1 game.
Is your hockey knowledge so novice that you think too many men penalties are the head coach's fault? Seriously?

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:35 AM
MTL-rules

Please, that's exactly what Carbonneau was all about : work, work, work...

They have absolutely no idea how to fix problems, their answers would always be: "they didn't work... they need to work harder"...

They need to fix the GM situation and the roster before thinking about the coach.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Belso

If this keeps up I'm going to shoot myself in the face.. Muller > Martin...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

They have absolutely no idea how to fix problems, their answers would always be: "they didn't work... they need to work harder"...

They need to fix the GM situation and the roster before thinking about the coach.
Agreed the GM needs to go along with the head coach but the first axe always comes down to the coach!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:18 AM
number72

I like Muller but he doesn't speak French so that makes me question his ability in montreal.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

But Carbo seemingly has the communication skills of a stump, like JM for that matter, and Muller is notorious for being very communicative. And I prefer a 'cheerleader', like someone said earlier, than a big eared boulder (JM) or a heroic, natural leader from the past, who can't tell his own players what he wants of them... (Carbo was my favorite player as a kid...)

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I like Muller but he doesn't speak French so that makes me question his ability in montreal.
The fans love Muller. Even as an assistant coach, he received more applause than most of the players on the team did.

The fans who really care whether the coach or GM speaks French are a minority, although far more vocal than the rest (as complainers usually are).

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:45 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Muller and Boucher as co-coaches.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:53 AM
kigol

Quote:
Pierre Boivin isn't around anymore. Geoff Molson is. Time for a change of mentality.

kigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

We need Kirk back with us right now. We missed him. Period.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:02 AM
zzoo

Muller was taking care of PP last year, right ? And who's responsible for PP this year ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Lucius

Not to be that guy, but Milwaukee is 4-0-1 this year

Mind you through great defense (only 8 goals against), not great offense.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:41 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

i was big fan of Kirk, and i think he had great influence on last years successful squad, and i think it's showing how that influence is kind of hard to replace.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:18 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Why oh ****ING why should this be an issue?? Every other team get to pick management from the entire pool.... why should we pick it from only 20% of the pool?

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:53 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Why oh ****ING why should this be an issue?? Every other team get to pick management from the entire pool.... why should we pick it from only 20% of the pool?
like it or not, most habs fans don't speak english. would the rangers hire a guy that can't speak english?

aaaaaanyways, the way it's looking now, martin might not be around longer and when it happens, i hope he is at the top of the list

and im pretty sure i've heard kirk speak very broken french...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote