HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Did Jacob Markstrom steal the starting job last night?

Old
10-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek

vCash: 586
should i keep theodore ? or pick up Markstrom

Gerbe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:18 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Yeah maybe now he stole it, lol

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:25 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Markstrom has proven that he has a ton of talent and potential, but he's going off of instinct right now. The Panthers really need to get a proper goalie coach for him. A full-time goalie coach.

Last edited by StrangeVision: 10-24-2011 at 09:34 PM.
StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:31 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Markstrom has proven that he has a ton of talent and potential, but he's going off of instinct right now. The Panthers really need to get a proper goalie coach for him. A full-time goaclie coach.
Completely agree. He's impressed the hell out of all of us so far, but it's only a few games. He's still very inexperienced. I wouldn't consider him a #1 yet and maybe not until the middle of the season when he's shown that he can continue to be stellar. I do think at this point, you can't send him to San Antonio. He's shown that he really does have loads of potential.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbe42 View Post
should i keep theodore ? or pick up Markstrom
Have both on your team.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:34 PM
jglenn001

Send a message via AIM to jglenn001
So when do we start shopping Clemmer around?

jglenn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:42 PM
gizmo12688

In all seriousness, I'd give Markstrom the start against Ottawa. If he puts up a similar performance, then I'd like to see Theo and Markstrom split the starts from there. Theo has been more than we expected as well.

With both these guys getting starts, I like our chances.

Sorry Clemmer....

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:46 PM
TheMightyPanther85

Quote:
Markstrom has proven that he has a ton of talent and potential, but he's going off of instinct right now. The Panthers really need to get a proper goalie coach for him. A full-time goalie coach.
Is Robb Tallas not a full-time goalie coach?

TheMightyPanther85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:48 PM
PanthersRule96

Love Markie, but Theo is our #1 for now. Let's remember about Boucher and his shutout streak. People would have thought he was better than Patty Roy in that 5+ game sample, but we all know how that turned out. Part of the process of a young tendy proving themself is doing this night in and night out. He was sensational tonight and great against the Isles. I'm so excited to have him and can't wait to watch him develop, but Theo is our guy. I'd give Markie the start against Ottawa though for sure.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:51 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Let Clemmer start for the AHL team to rehab.

Jose Theodore has exceeded his expectations so far.

MARKSTROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Starting goalie. Give him a bad game, then Theodore starts.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:54 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Love Markie, but Theo is our #1 for now. Let's remember about Boucher and his shutout streak. People would have thought he was better than Patty Roy in that 5+ game sample, but we all know how that turned out. Part of the process of a young tendy proving themself is doing this night in and night out. He was sensational tonight and great against the Isles. I'm so excited to have him and can't wait to watch him develop, but Theo is our guy. I'd give Markie the start against Ottawa though for sure.
Its Markstroms job right now to lose. Its ok to have 1 and 1a, and right now thats what we got. I have watched two great goalies share in the past, ie beezer and richter.

Markstrom will have a soft game, then the 1a can go until...

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:05 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Its Markstroms job right now to lose. Its ok to have 1 and 1a, and right now thats what we got. I have watched two great goalies share in the past, ie beezer and richter.

Markstrom will have a soft game, then the 1a can go until...
34 & 35 Presidents trophy winners, no coincidence.

Dineen is going to keep it fair, he'll play them until they lose.

Old
10-24-2011, 10:08 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Let Clemmer start for the AHL team to rehab.

Jose Theodore has exceeded his expectations so far.

MARKSTROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Starting goalie. Give him a bad game, then Theodore starts.
im fine with this suggestion. im also fine with putting markstrom back in the ahl. there is no downside either way. the only bad decision is to award markstrom the starting spot based on 7 strong periods. i personally think the best way to bring up a goalie is the way the kings have done it with bernier. dont give him **** and make him work for everything. seeing as how we are competing for the playoffs rather than the stanley cup at this point i would lean towards sending him down and making sure he has an excellent coach who will keep pounding the fundamentals like rebound control.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:20 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Panther View Post
im fine with this suggestion. im also fine with putting markstrom back in the ahl. there is no downside either way. the only bad decision is to award markstrom the starting spot based on 7 strong periods. i personally think the best way to bring up a goalie is the way the kings have done it with bernier. dont give him **** and make him work for everything. seeing as how we are competing for the playoffs rather than the stanley cup at this point i would lean towards sending him down and making sure he has an excellent coach who will keep pounding the fundamentals like rebound control.
The bold is the only part I disagree with. How about the Hurricanes of 2006? How star studded were they really?

Old
10-24-2011, 10:26 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
The bold is the only part I disagree with. How about the Hurricanes of 2006? How star studded were they really?
how dare you talk that way about cory stillman

Old
10-24-2011, 10:37 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Staal and Brind'Amour alone put them a couple steps ahead of the Panthers. Cole was also scoring at nearly a point/game pace that year.

Old
10-24-2011, 10:38 PM
CaptainScrewy

Quote:
humbug. The guy is obviously the best goalie on the team right now, 7 periods or not. He has been remarkable. You don't send him down, you don't need to baby him anymore. He is a super star, start treating him like one and lets get the most of him right now.

CaptainScrewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:40 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainScrewy View Post
humbug. The guy is obviously the best goalie on the team right now, 7 periods or not. He has been remarkable. You don't send him down, you don't need to baby him anymore. He is a super star, start treating him like one and lets get the most of him right now.
this must be trolling right? certainly no one thinks hes the best goalie on the team just yet.

Old
10-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Markstrom!

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:43 PM
CaptainScrewy

Quote:
this must be trolling right? certainly no one thinks hes the best goalie on the team just yet.
This most be trolling right? Certainly no one can watch the way he has played and think he isn't the best goalie on this team. I don't care that it's only been 2.25 games, he is remarkable. Theodore has been good, Markstrom is showing greatness. go with greatness.

CaptainScrewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:59 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainScrewy View Post
This most be trolling right? Certainly no one can watch the way he has played and think he isn't the best goalie on this team. I don't care that it's only been 2.25 games, he is remarkable. Theodore has been good, Markstrom is showing greatness. go with greatness.
Markstrom is showing that he has incredible potential. He still has a few things he needs to work on before being a legit #1. It's only a matter of time before teams get good scouting on him and exploit his weaknesses. I'm not saying he won't ever be a #1, he obviously will be, I'm just saying that right now he is still raw and still needs to refine his game.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:04 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

look i like the kid. i think he is legit and the future. but its way too early to make such a bold claim. especially when one 4/7 of his experience is against two teams that are against two teams that are collectively 4-8-2. hes playing well. but he is not the best goaltender on the team. maybe the most talented, but also the rawest and most experienced, both of which actually do matter.

anyways thats my last reply on the subject for now. i hope the kid does well, but i hope the team is cautious with his development as well.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:04 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
May not have stolen the starting job yet, but he's well on the path.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:17 PM
RainingRats

Markstrom plays until he loses or back to back games. Until someone loses they should start and keep starting while they win. Theo has also played well so no reason not to have him in the lineup. Healthy competition is good.

Dineen would be dumb not to ride Markstrom while he's hot. If he doesn't start against Ottawa, I'd be shocked and annoyed.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:23 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Markstrom is showing that he has incredible potential. He still has a few things he needs to work on before being a legit #1. It's only a matter of time before teams get good scouting on him and exploit his weaknesses. I'm not saying he won't ever be a #1, he obviously will be, I'm just saying that right now he is still raw and still needs to refine his game.
This right here. Although he doesn't have many weaknesses, so if he tweaks the ones he has then....SCARY.

FinlandPanther is online now   Reply With Quote