HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract?

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 10:53 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
"The solar system is so humongous big... like net to shooters that face me in shootout."

"We lose shootout and I get paid big money to do nothing but don't worry be happy"

~Ilya Bryzgalov

Old
12-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
"The solar system is so humongous big... like net to shooters that face me in shootout."

"We lose shootout and I get paid big money to do nothing but don't worry be happy"

~Ilya Bryzgalov
Is that all you ever do? Find ways to rag on players? As soon as a player you rag on all the time has a good game you are suddenly quiet. Everytime..

Old
12-19-2011, 11:00 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

The inconsistency is killing me

Old
12-19-2011, 11:09 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
Is that all you ever do? Find ways to rag on players? As soon as a player you rag on all the time has a good game you are suddenly quiet. Everytime..
Can you provide an example please?

I'm tough but fair... I call it how I see it.

If Bryz turns it around, I'll be here to eat my crow.

I did it already w/ Matt Carle. I ragged on him hard for all the turnovers but I've been the first to defend him after he cut some of the turnovers out of his game and stepped up big time while Pronger has been out.

I'm fair in my criticism.

Bryz has been a joke thus far this season and if his play is "OK" by your standards, then you have low standards.

That 2nd goal is inexcusable. From the youngest age that you strap on the skates and begin to play organized hockey, goalies are screamed @ to have the "PADDLE DOWN!!!!" when the puck goes below the goal line. They scream that at you for a reason: because deflections like that can happen if the puck is thrown in front. Literally by the time you're Bryz's age, you've probably heard the phrase "Paddle down" 10,000 times.

That 2nd goal was because of s*** positioning... not some lucky phantom bounce. It was s**t positioning. Doesn't matter if the puck took 10 bounces, if Bryz was in the proper position w/ his paddle down, it doesn't go in the back of the net.

If you wanna say it would've been an amazing save or something because it deflected, fine you can say that. It's not true, but you can think what you want.

The bottom line is, Bryz was lazy, got out of position b/c he flailed @ the puck, and a goal was the result.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:29 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
Quote:
rant
You two should just hug it out instead.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:51 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
That 2nd goal is inexcusable. From the youngest age that you strap on the skates and begin to play organized hockey, goalies are screamed @ to have the "PADDLE DOWN!!!!" when the puck goes below the goal line. They scream that at you for a reason: because deflections like that can happen if the puck is thrown in front. Literally by the time you're Bryz's age, you've probably heard the phrase "Paddle down" 10,000 times.

That 2nd goal was because of s*** positioning... not some lucky phantom bounce. It was s**t positioning. Doesn't matter if the puck took 10 bounces, if Bryz was in the proper position w/ his paddle down, it doesn't go in the back of the net.

If you wanna say it would've been an amazing save or something because it deflected, fine you can say that. It's not true, but you can think what you want.

The bottom line is, Bryz was lazy, got out of position b/c he flailed @ the puck, and a goal was the result.
He had the paddle down. He wasn't looking at the puck, he took a glance up to survey shooters. The thing was triple deflected into the net. He wasn't remotely square to the shot. He had a number of other decent saves in the game. The team pretty much played like d o o after the first period. The avs pressure pretty hard.

He certainly wasn't very good in the shootout.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:16 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
He had the paddle down. He wasn't looking at the puck, he took a glance up to survey shooters. The thing was triple deflected into the net. He wasn't remotely square to the shot. He had a number of other decent saves in the game. The team pretty much played like d o o after the first period. The avs pressure pretty hard.

He certainly wasn't very good in the shootout.
The paddle wasn't down.

Dear god, would people stop making stuff up to defend him? The stick was vertical to the ice.

When you put the paddle down, it looks like this:

Bryzgalov's stick (ignore the rest of the picture) was in this position:

The two positions are not even close.

The first picture is the position Ilya should've been in w/ the stick. The 2nd picture is what his stick looked like... not even close to paddle down. Watch the goal again and try to tell me you disagree...

Old
12-20-2011, 12:33 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

guy cant make a save in the shootout or on the PK.

fantastic

Old
12-20-2011, 02:15 AM
macattack22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
guy cant make a save in the shootout or on the PK.

fantastic
agreed - for the amount of money he is paid he should be making these so called "simple saves". He makes the "how the heck did you make that save" and lets in the floaters ... guy needs to step his game up

Old
12-20-2011, 06:42 AM
Garbage Goal

Posted this in the GDT. Gives some perspective as to how sub-par Bryz has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
That save percentage is absolutely pathetic no matter the team.

Here's all 30 team's starters, to the best of my knowledge, and their save percentages:

Thomas - .943
Backstrom - .933
Lundqvist - .932
Khabibulin - .931
Howard - .928
Quick - .927
Lehtonen - .926
Rinne - .924
Theodore - .923
Smith - .919
Montoya (Isles don't really have a specific starter so w/e) - .918
Niemi - .917
Price - .914
Fleury - .914
Kiprusoff - .913
Vokoun - .906
Luongo - .905
Pavelec - .905
Garon - .905
Halak - .903
Miller - .902
Ward - .899
Gustavsson - .898
Hiller - .898
Bryzgalov - .898
Crawford - .896
Varlamov - .896
Anderson -.894
Brodeur - .886
Mason - .880

The Flyers are 17th in terms of goals against and sixth in terms of goal differential. That's middle of the pack in terms of goals against and top of the league in goal differential. Yet Bryzgalov is tied for the 25th worst save percentage out of all these starters with the likes of Hiller and Gustavsson.

In the bold are starters on teams with a worse goals against record that have better or equal save percentages to Bryz. There's nine teams that have are doing worse defensively then the Flyers that have starters that are doing just as well, and in most cases better, then Bryzgalov. That's horrendous, especially once you consider that there's only 13 teams worse then us in terms of goals against. In fact, the starter for the worst team in the league in terms of goals against has a better save percentage then Bryz (albeit by barely).

When you're a middle of the pack team defensively, there's no excuse for your starter to be posting a sub .900 save percentage. In fact, regardless of circumstances, it's very rarely okay for a starter to have a sub .900 save percentage.

An .898 save percentage is horrendous all things considered.

Old
12-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

All they have to do is start Bob for 5 straight games and give him a wakeup call. It worked with Luongo. (6-01 with a .944% in last 7 games).

Old
12-20-2011, 10:08 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
The paddle wasn't down.

Dear god, would people stop making stuff up to defend him? The stick was vertical to the ice.

When you put the paddle down, it looks like this:

Bryzgalov's stick (ignore the rest of the picture) was in this position:

The two positions are not even close.

The first picture is the position Ilya should've been in w/ the stick. The 2nd picture is what his stick looked like... not even close to paddle down. Watch the goal again and try to tell me you disagree...
No, I agree with your pictures. I thought you meant not on the ice protecting 5 hole with the blade.

The first position above isn't the correct position for him to be in, it's not a wraparound attempt. The passer went wide and he's expecting a centering attempt shot from the slot.

This goes in because he's not looking at the puck.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:28 AM
sectachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack22 View Post
agreed - for the amount of money he is paid he should be making these so called "simple saves". He makes the "how the heck did you make that save" and lets in the floaters ... guy needs to step his game up
Id like to interrupt the regularly scheduled broadcast to invite everyone to just take a minute and gaze at your avatar.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:59 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Meltzer had the same criticisms that many of us that actually know something about hockey b/c you know maybe some of us played it...had.

Come playoff time he needs to NOT be thinking about the size of the universe as opposed to the black "holes" he reveals to the opposition when he doesn't bear down. We can't have this aloofness he sometimes shows come playoffs when the game is one of inches and simple mistakes and lack of attention to detail sink you quick.

I mean I like Bryz and think he is a very good goalie when he bears down but sometimes his lack of urgency when he is out of position etc is frustrating. Reminds me too much of Biron who was a similar positional goaltender.

Quote:
Ilya Bryzgalov had another strange night. I thought he looked very sharp in regulation and overtime. He made some clutch early saves with the game scoreless and also came up with a couple good ones in the third period to keep his team close. Bryz had no real chance to stop Gabriel Landeskog's goal that tied the score 1-1. There was a coverage breakdown on the play.

However, on the double deflection that resulted in Colorado's second goal of the game, Bryzgalov didn't have the paddle of his stick along the ice -- a goaltending fundamental. If he did, all that would have come of that play was a faceoff. This is about the fourth time so far this season where Bryz gave up a goal on a funky deflection off skates and/or sticks that wouldn't have gone in the net if the goalie's stick had been in the right place. Of course, if Matt Carle (who had a solid game on the whole) hadn't whiffed on a clearing attempt, the subsequent deflection sequence wouldn't have happened at all. Hockey can be a maddening game sometimes
Quote:
As for the goaltending in the shootout, it's unfair to always expect the goalie to stop all three (or more) shot attempts. But he can't go 0-for-3, which is what Bryz did. Giguere was also beaten three times on three attempts. However, the Colorado netminder got help from the crossbar on Matt Read's game-ending unsuccessful bid to prolong the skills competition.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...22011/45/40680

Old
12-20-2011, 11:04 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Posted this in the GDT. Gives some perspective as to how sub-par Bryz has been.
Yet he's 5th in wins ? Would it be better if he had less wins and better numbers ? According to most here he is horrible, yet we are stll winning. Try waiting a season before declaring him a bust and sit back and enjoy when he gets hot again.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:25 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Yet he's 5th in wins ? Would it be better if he had less wins and better numbers ? According to most here he is horrible, yet we are stll winning. Try waiting a season before declaring him a bust and sit back and enjoy when he gets hot again.
why are the Flyers winning? the Flyers lead the league in goals scored. How many games can we really say he won for us? 1? 2?
he hasnt been very good this year. i know its to early to give up on him but he needs to be better. if the Flyers get the kind of goaltending hes provided so far this season in the playoffs it will be ugly.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:33 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
why are the Flyers winning? the Flyers lead the league in goals scored. How many games can we really say he won for us? 1? 2?
he hasnt been very good this year. i know its to early to give up on him but he needs to be better. if the Flyers get the kind of goaltending hes provided so far this season in the playoffs it will be ugly.
I 100% agree with you, and I just used your post as a reference point. He needs to be better and his track record shows that he can be better. This boards extreme views though can get irritating at times, clearly shown by somes posts that he sucks and we are ****ed for 9 years because of a 20 game sample.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
If he had better numbers we'd likely have more wins.

12-20-2011, 11:40 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
I 100% agree with you, and I just used your post as a reference point. He needs to be better and his track record shows that he can be better. This boards extreme views though can get irritating at times, clearly shown by somes posts that he sucks and we are ****ed for 9 years because of a 20 game sample.
yeah i know. a 20 game sample or whatever is too small of a sample to get worked up over. But in a way I dont blame people for freaking out. we have got pedestrian goaltending for far too long. You bring in a guy for a huge contract and so far its more of the same.
I am not worried about him yet. But some of the tendencies hes had in Phoenix are showing up here. cant stop the puck on the PK and cant stop anything in the shootout. a .821 save percentage(or whatever it is) on the PK is unacceptable

Old
12-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Kaktus*

2nd goal was all Bryzgalov. Hell.. He did not do much on 1st goal either and I am not blaming 1st goal on him but come on. Try at least pretend like you are poke checking.

Old
12-20-2011, 01:37 PM
BringBackStevens

I thought he wasn't as good as his numbers in Phoenix suggested, back when we signed him.

All the experts here wanted to continue rambling on about how he carried an "awful" coyotes team.

Phoenix replaced him with mike smith, who's posting a 920 this season, while bryz on the supposed far superior team is sub 900

So far my theory that Phoenix's good defensive play was more of a factor than bryz himself is holding true.

Old
12-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Wins are a team stat. It's good he isn't really costing us any games, but that's largely because they have the best offense in the league to make up for his sub par play.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:44 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Wins are a team stat.
And largely so is gaa and sv%.

If you have bad team defense, you're going to have bad stats. When they want to play...bryz looks fine...when dudes are running around missing assignments in their own end all bets are off.

There are not many goalies that would succed statistically in this environment. Lavi isn't exactly a defensive style coach.
We made leighton look like Roy in the ECF because of outstanding team D. They channeled everything outside that series.

Old
12-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
And largely so is gaa and sv%.

If you have bad team defense, you're going to have bad stats. When they want to play...bryz looks fine...when dudes are running around missing assignments in their own end all bets are off.

There are not many goalies that would succed statistically in this environment.
One immediately example comes to mind which refutes this: Montreal. Their defense is definitely worse than ours, but they have a goalie who can actually bail them out.

Another example: Lundqvist.

Old
12-20-2011, 04:00 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
One immediately example comes to mind which refutes this: Montreal. Their defense is definitely worse than ours, but they have a goalie who can actually bail them out.

Another example: Lundqvist.
HL is G for one of the top team Ds in the league.

Price is still middle of the road stats wise...and MTL plays more defensive than we do. We have better players...but they do have 3 quality defenders though.

We have the talent, certainly have good players...but we herp derp around in our own zone alot.

Closed Thread