HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Marco Sturm the worst Canuck of all-time?

Old
10-23-2011, 07:59 PM
puckbunnygirl

vCash: 500
sturm was a very serviceable player, and he'll be missed by at least one canuck fan. =(

necessary loss for booth.

puckbunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:03 PM
BoHorvatFan

Worst signing since M.Schneider. I don't know why we signed him, I hated it that day, I bashed him all along and expected him to be waived by November. He sucks at this stage and is broken down, soft and useless. I'm very happy he's gone.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:15 PM
puckbunnygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Worst signing since M.Schneider. I don't know why we signed him, I hated it that day, I bashed him all along and expected him to be waived by November. He sucks at this stage and is broken down, soft and useless. I'm very happy he's gone.
he was character guy, and he mentored all of our younger guys. the organization is much stronger having had him in it imo.

Last edited by puckbunnygirl: 10-23-2011 at 08:22 PM.
puckbunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:26 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Chris Levesque

HM Jan Bullis

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:59 PM
David71

another of gillis's mistakes. better get something for him than waiving him.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:01 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
I could start listing canucks from the 70's into the 80's--but it might mnake a few grey beards cry

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Hollywood Burrows

I think the only useful way to measure the "worst Canuck of all-time" is performance relative to expectations.

And in that case, Mark Messier is the worst Canuck of all time, AINEC.

Other candidates: Vlad Krutov, Dan Quinn, Barry Pederson, Dave Gagner (the fabled lynchpin of the Pavel Bure trade), and Dale Tallon.

My personal worst Canuck of all-time is Dan Cloutier.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:15 PM
wavaxa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
HM Jan Bullis
What a load of crap. Bulis was an excellent penalty killer. I recall him being an important part of the league's best PK unit in 2006-07. The reason why fans rag on Bulis is because they expected him to be a 20 goal scorer, because he once had a 20 goal year in the past.

wavaxa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:25 PM
express

not enough martin brochu in this thread

honourable mention to felix potvin.

Some of you ******** on Luongo forget how bad it was back in the day, haha

express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Y'all got a lot of good suggestions here but I defy anyone to do better than Martin Brochu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
This is the correct answer. 216 minutes played, 15 goals allowed for a total of a 4.17 GAA and .856 SV%. Thanks Burkie.

Maxime Ouellet was really bad too but not quite in Brochu's league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
It's Brochu, but I feel as if Lee Goren hasn't received the attention in this thread that he deserves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Yup - Martin Brochu... Number One with a bullet. The worst on Burkie's Wheel of Goalie Misfortune. Felix "The Scalded Cat" Potvin would merit consideration as well.

Brochu was god-awful (no wins, a 4.17 GAA and a .856 save percentage - you know like Dan Cloutier play-off stats). He would be released about one month into the season and replaced with Peter Skudra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topp Spin View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Martin Brochu, but he'd be my pick for worst goaltender.

If I can remember correctly, Vancouver was playing San Jose and it was tied 1-1 going into the 3rd. Brochu let in 4 weak goals and we ended up losing 5-1. I don't think he ever got a chance after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by express View Post
not enough martin brochu in this thread

honourable mention to felix potvin.

Some of you ******** on Luongo forget how bad it was back in the day, haha
He's getting plenty of accolades in this thread.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Eddie Vedder

Im waiting for someone to make a concrete argument AGAINST mark messier being worse than some of these prospect busts or short lived trade acquisitions who fizzled.

Mark Messier nearly killed this franchise. I dont think Martin Brochu or Eric Weinrich can claim that.

Edit:

Ill tackled some arguements in messiers favour: He help naslund and etc become good leaders.

Response: What did naslund ever lead? Current core, which has taken us farther than messier or naslund ever did often mention Mats Sundin before they mention naslund. Trevor Linden as well. Who got rid of TL? Mark Messier. ****ing guy.

Arguement: The canucks were a bad team, it wasnt messiers fault

Response: Sure, they wernt great but they had a lot of pieces to be way better than they were. Anchored by moose's salary and role, we sunk like a stone. ****ing guy. Mogilny, Bure, Linden, Maclean... list goes on. Moose was a vortex of awful, sucking years of these players careers into the abyss.

Last edited by Eddie Vedder: 10-24-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Eddie Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:37 AM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about. Thank you. There is a signing comparable, yet worse than Mr Sturm.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Alek Stojanov was -14 with 1 assist in 62 games. But that is totally redeemed by his illogical trade value.

10-24-2011, 03:25 PM
oceanchild

how has brian noonan escaped this conversation. I remember being at a game when he was meandering up the ice and Mark Messier came and stole the puck off his stick and took a shot on net from a crap angle.

I thank the hockey gods for mike gillis every day

gp g a p pims +/-
1996-97 Vancouver Canucks NHL 16 4 8 12 6 2
1997-98 Vancouver Canucks NHL 82 10 15 25 62 -19

I think most of those goals bounced off him

oceanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Wetcoaster

Looks like the Vancouver Sun was mining this forum for its pictorial story "Worst Canucks ever: Most disappointing players to wear a Vancouver jersey"
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h....html?tab=PHOT

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Looks like the Vancouver Sun was mining this forum for its pictorial story "Worst Canucks ever: Most disappointing players to wear a Vancouver jersey"
Meh, they take stuff from Bleacher Report. I don't think very highly of much media now of days. They should stick to their job, just taking full quotes from the players and give it to the public. None of this manipulation or opinion ******** that most couldn't but further from the truth.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:53 AM
Hal 9000*

What reason could there be to slag sturm. The guy did nothing wrong, and doesnt deserve this.

This entire thread is in bad taste and should be closed.

P.S - I'll agree that messier caused the most negative years of the Canucks.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:14 AM
tesplen

Basically any of the players Dave Nonis brought in during his tenure (save for the Luongo trade).

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:32 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Wow, I saw that today and immediately . Give the guy a break - he just left town and you're already ripping on him? No class or sense at all. Yet another article with no writer's name attached, just like the one the other day in the Province saying the Canucks should trade Lu for Lecavalier causing MG to phone in to the Team 1040 to complain about it. Just ridiculous.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Chain Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Craig Coxe. Worst all time. Couldn't skate at all. No question about it. No skills.

Biggest disapointment is Messier. Some might credit Dale Talon with the title, but he was just a bust. Messier was just too big a deal not to earn the title.

None of those guys hurt the franchise like another alumni, though. Worst moment was Pat Quinn playing hardball with Gretzky. This makes Burke "driving Umberger to the airport" seem like a stroke of genius.
The airport comment was directed at Trent Klatt.

Chain Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:30 AM
MS

Quote:
Wow, what a terrible list.

The author clearly doesn't have a clue, so just picked names of recent players who only played a few games for the team.

How on earth is Sven Butenschon one of the most disappointing Canucks ever? The guy was signed to a 2-way deal to serve as a #8-9 defender, played well in Manitoba, and did a decent job when called up when injuries hit. He did exactly what he was signed to do.

Also, apparently all 25 of the worst/most disappointing Canucks ever played for the team in the last 15 years.

If I was putting together a list (guys who were actually aquired to play for the team, and were total failures - combination of awful play and expectations related to trade value/salary) :

1) Mark Messier
- no explanation needed.

2) Larry Goodenough
- total sack of crap that was the centerpiece of the worst trade in franchise history aside from the Neely deal.

3) Marc Chouinard
- just utterly abysmal player in a Canuck jersey, only player in franchise history ever bought out.

4) Felix Potvin
- awful trade, huge salary, terrible goaltending.

5) Vladimir Krutov
- two sides to the story, but a total flop relative to expectations and money invested.

6) Roland Eriksson
- an All-Star in 1978 for Minnesota, we aquire him later in that year and he scores 2 goals in 35 games to wash out of the league.

6) Dean Malkoc
- simply the worst defender I've ever seen spend a full season on a Canuck roster. 3rd pairing AHL material.

7) Vadim Sharifijanov
- two high draft picks for 1 goal. Turned out he'd been on steroids from the age of 15 and when he got off the juice he completely stunk.

8) Eric Weinrich
- trade deadline aquisition who was actually worse than the minor-leaguers he replaced.

9) Willie Huber
- former All-Star with Detroit who we picked up as damaged goods - 2 ruined knees and couldn't skate anymore. Didn't last the season.

10) Kevin Weekes
- one of the centerpieces of the Bure trade, wasn't a particularly good goalie and was an even worse liar when he missed practice. Total flop given what we had invested in him.

HM - Chris McAllister, Nathan Smith, Martin Brochu, Maxim Ouellet, Dan Woodley, Darryl Stanley, Dave Gagner, Ryan Johnson.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:32 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BautistaBOMB View Post
The airport comment was directed at Trent Klatt.
Burke was not particularly original and when he found a line he liked he kept using it. In addition to Umberger and Klatt, he was willing to drive Peter Schaefer to the airport as well.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Quote:
Damn. I forgot all about Krutov. He was amazing on the old Soviet KLM line with Larionov and Makarov. I looked him up on Wikipedia and couldn't help but notice that the Sun writer is basically lifting phrases from there. The Sun: "battling weight issues and homesickness." Wikipedia: "battling homesickness and weight problems." Clever the way he switched that around.

10-25-2011, 06:38 AM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
1) Sturm? Not by a long shot. Mark Messier will go down as the worst Canuck of all time.

2) This thread sucks.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Damn. I forgot all about Krutov. He was amazing on the old Soviet KLM line with Larionov and Makarov. I looked him up on Wikipedia and couldn't help but notice that the Sun writer is basically lifting phrases from there. The Sun: "battling weight issues and homesickness." Wikipedia: "battling homesickness and weight problems." Clever the way he switched that around.
And as the arbitrations proved out most of that hyperbole about Krutov fitness was PR from the Canucks trying (unsuccessfully) to get out of the transfer fee payments to the Russian hockey organizations.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote