HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for a new coach?

Old
10-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

vCash: 500
It just seems to me that Torts has lost the locker room.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 05:36 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I haven't seen any evidence of that yet. Care to elaborate? The team does not look too good, that's a given... but it seems to me that players haven't quit on him.

Gabby looks like a beast, Richards looks good, Del Zotto (who I would think would be first in line if a mutiny were in order) looks pretty good as well.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:11 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
You gotta believe the Avery callup is Sathers work. Letīs see how Torts deals with this. Current getting a bit rough for ole Torts now I believe... Sather feels the heat and took the reigns here... Anyone can see the coaching and roster decisions have been far from optimal so far... Doubt this will change on the ice much though. Time will tell (I really wanted Christ to have a couple great games so we could pawn him off seductively to some offense starved team...).

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I haven't seen any evidence of that yet. Care to elaborate? The team does not look too good, that's a given... but it seems to me that players haven't quit on him.

Gabby looks like a beast, Richards looks good, Del Zotto (who I would think would be first in line if a mutiny were in order) looks pretty good as well.
There's several guys on the team who look like they couldn't give two *****. Either they're all squids or Torts has lost them. Which do you think it is?

Old
10-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
There's several guys on the team who look like they couldn't give two *****. Either they're all squids or Torts has lost them. Which do you think it is?
Can't answer the question unless you name the players you think Tortorella has lost.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
FWIW, I really hate Tortorella. Always have. I thought he was the wrong man for the job. I have seen nothing in his time here to make me feel otherwise. You can't place all of the blame on the coach, but he's ultimately responsible for the team's performance. And during his tenure here, it has been very underwhelming.
Underwhelming? What exactly did you expect this team to accomplish the past 3 years under Torts with the mediocre personnel that it has had?

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
How do you know and how can you tell?

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Can't answer the question unless you name the players you think Tortorella has lost.
Dubinsky and Anisimov are skating like they're dead. Stepan has all of 2 points. The Prust and Boyle combo that brought so much energy last year has been lifeless. Even Callahan's hits are way down. I would say Christensen and Wolski too, but they never give a ****. The team is not hustling, they're not checking, they're not even blocking shots like they used to. We went from the hardest working team in the league to every game being a funeral with largely the same personnel. How else does this happen besides the coach losing the team?

Old
10-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
How do you know and how can you tell?
Have you watched a single period this year? The whole team is skating in quick sand. I think it's pretty easy to tell.

Old
10-30-2011, 07:40 PM
OverTheCap

This team looks nothing like it did when it quit on Renney. Not even close. Yesterday's loss looked like a team that was missing it's top defenseman and not one that has given up on its coach.

About a week or so before Renney was fired, the Rangers lost 10-2 at Dallas followed up by a 3-0 loss against the Devils at home. That team just stopped trying and didn't care. Gomez was taking subtle jabs at Renney during post-game interviews.

Earlier this week, Callahan defended Torts' constant line-juggling. The captain of the team wouldn't have gone to such lengths to defend him if he felt like Torts has lost the locker room.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Underwhelming? What exactly did you expect this team to accomplish the past 3 years under Torts with the mediocre personnel that it has had?
I think the talent on the team is above average. There have certainly been holes, but if the team was firing on all cylinders, I think that they should have finished sixth or seventh each year. I have never seen the Rangers exceed my expectations during his tenure. We've been a mediocre team with a mediocre coach. A good coach can have a team over-perform.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Dubinsky and Anisimov are skating like they're dead. Stepan has all of 2 points. The Prust and Boyle combo that brought so much energy last year has been lifeless. Even Callahan's hits are way down. I would say Christensen and Wolski too, but they never give a ****. The team is not hustling, they're not checking, they're not even blocking shots like they used to. We went from the hardest working team in the league to every game being a funeral with largely the same personnel. How else does this happen besides the coach losing the team?
I think you've forgotten what the team looked like at the beginning of the season. They had the same problems (except the Pack line looked better). Three of the players you point out are the main cause of the problem this year and the other two are complimentary players who may have had career years last year and are coming down to earth.

Tortorella got the players to execute the same system last year--I don't see what's different this year: it's the same players, the same coach and the same system. If anything they should be better--Gaborik's problems last year were the main reason they had to wait until another team lost the last day of the season and they added another player over the summer who can score a point a game.

I think this is a bump in the road. Some of it comes from the weird schedule they've had. Some it comes from losing Staal. Some of it comes from how young this tream is (most of the players you mention have not been NHL regulars for more than 1-2 years) The very players you mention (plus the defense, which shows no sign of tuning out Tortorella) are going to have to suck it up and start doing what they did last year.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 10-30-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
You gotta believe the Avery callup is Sathers work. Letīs see how Torts deals with this. Current getting a bit rough for ole Torts now I believe... Sather feels the heat and took the reigns here... Anyone can see the coaching and roster decisions have been far from optimal so far...
This is what I suspect as well. It seems Torts can feel like hot lights coming down too--he's seemed a bit more humble in a couple post-game press conferences.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:56 PM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
This is what I suspect as well. It seems Torts can feel like hot lights coming down too--he's seemed a bit more humble in a couple post-game press conferences.
More Avery less Torts!!

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:30 AM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

To everyone:

Who should be the coach?

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:44 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
This team looks nothing like it did when it quit on Renney. Not even close. Yesterday's loss looked like a team that was missing it's top defenseman and not one that has given up on its coach.

About a week or so before Renney was fired, the Rangers lost 10-2 at Dallas followed up by a 3-0 loss against the Devils at home. That team just stopped trying and didn't care. Gomez was taking subtle jabs at Renney during post-game interviews.

Earlier this week, Callahan defended Torts' constant line-juggling. The captain of the team wouldn't have gone to such lengths to defend him if he felt like Torts has lost the locker room.
One game that stuck out to me that showed me they quit on Renney was that afternoon game at MSG against the Flyers where they just came out and absolutely **** on the Rangers. It was 5-1 or 6-1 in the second period. That was as lifeless as I've seen this team since the lockout.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Get graves or mess behind a bench somewhere to start lol jk. But seriously were jumping the gun a little early on this. Id wait until the end of november....but if any1 was to replace torts, the only guy id want is mike keenan.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:58 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
One game that stuck out to me that showed me they quit on Renney was that afternoon game at MSG against the Flyers where they just came out and absolutely **** on the Rangers. It was 5-1 or 6-1 in the second period. That was as lifeless as I've seen this team since the lockout.
Ah yes, I was at that glorious game. Mike Richards scored a breakaway shorthanded goal and Gomez failed to backcheck.

So far I have yet to see the listless play that indicates the players are tuning out the coach. If the leaders and hard workers on this team such as Cally, Girardi, Prust, Dubi, etc. started slacking off on and did not put in the effort that they normally do on a consistent basis, then I would be concerned.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:33 PM
pld459666

they need a new coach not cause they quit on him, but more because his "system" doesn't work in the NHL post lockout, hasn't worked in the NHL post lockout, will never work in the NHL post lockout.

Give the man legit top line scoring threats and watch him turn them into 2nd line grinders.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:36 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Love all the people that were for resigning Torts backing out now

I was always against that loudmouth at the end of the year...He does not get the team going in the right direction

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:23 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
they need a new coach not cause they quit on him, but more because his "system" doesn't work in the NHL post lockout, hasn't worked in the NHL post lockout, will never work in the NHL post lockout.

Give the man legit top line scoring threats and watch him turn them into 2nd line grinders.
what is a second line grinder?

cause if your definition of that is a player that has 8 points in 9 games then i'll agree with you

at this point, the only thing functioning as it should is the top line scoring threats

i swear to god...the ignorant crap being spewed around here is getting harder and harder to handle

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:38 PM
E Nixson