HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reason We're Not Winning: Carey Price

Old
10-23-2011, 10:01 AM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeman18 View Post
We're too soft!
This, and JM and PG. But hey all three are in the same basket.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:05 AM
GrizzLeaf

From where I was sitting last night, Price was deff not the problem. Without him, that game is over before the second period is even done. While he wasn't forced to make any spectacular saves last night, there's no way he's stopping those goals that went in.

I would hazard to say Price is as good as he was last year, when the Habs squeaked out a lot of wins. The difference is the team in front of him. Less scoring, and a lot less defensive support (which seems strange in a defense first system).

The Habs lost a lot of one on one battles for the puck and their physical play is almost non-existent. Montreal has some speed to burn, but they didn't pressure the Leafs much at all last night. I'm still wondering if that's a JM thing, or the players just not using that speed to great effect.

Price is fine. It's the overall team play in front of him that's the problem.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:06 AM
SavageRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraGOHABSGO View Post
I agree.,..

Price is the fault we are losing, I mean 0 goals and 0 assists, come on man!!!! -.-

You know when, we scored more than 2 goals ( in 3 games ), we got 4 points out of 6.
And when we score less than 2 goals, we got 0 out of 8.

Find the error.
Price can't go scoring goals for you...

EDIT: Oh and it would help that your D doesn't let the other team players running into him without DOING ANYTHING!
Hein Diaz? When you see a guy on top of your best player, you should do something.
Agreed 100%. Seems as if we still have some actual fans around here....

SavageRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:14 AM
number72

Price shares some responsibility - his save % is near bottom of the league.

At time last year, price carried the team. This year he looks like an everyday mediocre goalie and is not stealing a game for us.

I will say I like that he at least he shows some grit and tries to goons it up with Kadri in net last night and tripping Rosehill. This is going to be a long season so I hope for habs drop the gloves and try to agitate against better skilled competition to make for an entertaining game.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Totally disagree with the OP. Price looks like a thoroughbred to me. No, not sarcastically. He does look like an elite goalie, making huge saves, playing the puck with more authority than ever, defending his crease, taking charge. He looks fine to me. Habs have a lot of problems this season, Price is not anywhere on the list.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Young Gun

I agree, he's just not mentally tough, The nucks have the same problem, will not win with goalies like that. i'm all for trading him ,if the price is right!!!

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:18 AM
LesCanadiens

Lack of focus, out of position, slow to react. That is Carey Price right now. Anyone with any objectivity and keen hockey eye can see that.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:19 AM
groovejuice

Not mentally tough??!! Geez, after the benching, the booing, being run in the crease... wash your mouth out with soap.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:23 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Not mentally tough??!! Geez, after the benching, the booing, being run in the crease... wash your mouth out with soap.
These things happen to Tim Thomas too, for example. He reacts by getting better. Price reacts by mocking the fans or losing focus even more. He's a pro and should overcome and adapt. That is his job.

Old
10-23-2011, 10:26 AM
HeShootsHeScores

Price is not playing at superstar level right now, but what worries me most is our struggling defense. Nobody is playing good defensively, so no matter if Price plays superstar level or not, you can't like what you see when it comes to protecting the goalie and playing with more awareness defensively. If the team doesn't win because Price is not playing incredibly godly like, then we can't blame Price. The problem is elsewhere.

And I've never been the kind to say we are too soft or too small, but damn yesterday I wanted to punch my TV to reach that Rosehill SOB. I was okay with weber's penalty.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:27 AM
BLONG7

Price has been fine, he hasn't stolen a game yet, but he is far from the problem, our D is not moving anyone from the front, and there have been alot of crappy goals go in, off of scrambles and guys around the net...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Protest the Hero

When the team is scoring, he's not making the game saving saves, and when he's playing well, the team isn't scoring.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Swayze*

Price will be fine this year

What you are not seeing is a team propped up by stellar goaltending anymore

Swayze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
These things happen to Tim Thomas too, for example. He reacts by getting better. Price reacts by mocking the fans or losing focus even more. He's a pro and should overcome and adapt. That is his job.
You must have been frothing at the mouth for this thread. Must have been a long wait from the start of last season to get a chance to bash price. Your "keen hockey eye" is just seeing your agenda.

Tim thomas has a defence that clears the crease for him and worries about making one save. Price on the other hand has a d that lets teams get 3 or 4 chances and still dont bury a guy whacking away in front of the net.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:38 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
I agree, he's just not mentally tough, The nucks have the same problem, will not win with goalies like that. i'm all for trading him ,if the price is right!!!
OMG, we have now in front of us ladies and gentleman ! The post of 2011 !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Marchy79

Carey Price is NOT the reason for the poor start!

I have to say Jacques has lost this team somewhere...

Prior to the season even starting, something seems off on the team.

1 Win, 3 regulation losses, and 2 ot losses.

We need Andrei Markov back more than ever before. He's a quarterback for the offence, without him, we have a tonne of inexperience and Price is being hung out to dry.

A great example of that is the game saving change Price made in the dying moments of last nights game.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:42 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
You mean

Reason we won any games last year: Carey Price.

When Price does not play HART calibre hockey, this team is exposed for what it is. Poorly managed, poorly coached, and lacking cohesion.

Nothing he could do on any of the goals last night. He was stellar in Pittsburgh. He's had one bad game in Colorado and that is all. The team needs to play for him, it's evident they are not when they let him get run and he has to protect himself. Price's stick work last night was evident of frustration with his team-mates.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:43 AM
shutehinside

This team starts and ends with Price. Do they have other problems? Absolutely. But we're built around the net. Unless Price plays to his potential we will go nowhere.

We can win with any player(s) slumping, except Price. If he's not rolling than the team isn't, period. So is the life of an NHL goalie.

I don't think he's done by any stretch of the imagination but if we hope to start winning, it'll be Price that gets us there and past this slump. To do that he needs to improve his close to league worst numbers and start stopping the puck.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:43 AM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

7 ****ing penalties sure as hell didn't help us. One of them was price's but still. You can't throw this all on price. He made so huge saves that got us to OT. First goal was a deflection. You can't fault him there. Second was an atrocious giveaway to the leagues leading scorer. You can't fault him there. The third was a PP, and Kulemin's shouldn't have counted. He never let in any bad ones. We're just still not playing well defensively or disiplined. On the good side. Lars Eller...wow. Wow. And people bashing Hal Gill. Give it a ****ing rest. That was one of the best games I have ever seen him play. he was actually trying to carry the puck into the zone and doing a better job of it than most of our team. You can tell he is sick of losing and he's stepping up his game. Big time. As is Eller, and Moen. I also thought there were a few times when a leaf penalty could have been called, but anyway. Spilled milk. it's time to get ready for a new week, and toss this one behind us. We'll get 4 more cracks at torona.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:48 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
You must have been frothing at the mouth for this thread. Must have been a long wait from the start of last season to get a chance to bash price. Your "keen hockey eye" is just seeing your agenda.

Tim thomas has a defence that clears the crease for him and worries about making one save.

Price on the other hand has a d
that lets teams get 3 or 4 chances and still dont bury a guy whacking
away in front of the net.
I'm not waiting in the wings for Price to fail so I can bash him. Your perception is wrong. Fact is, it is now, and has been an issue for Price since his 1st full season. Since you seem so "aware" of how I post, you would also know that I praise Price when he's on his game.

Goalies have been getting whacked and run since the beginning of time. It's how they handle it that is the difference-maker. Price has the athletic attributes to be a huge star. It's his mental toughness that is his Achilles heel. IMO.

Old
10-23-2011, 10:52 AM
imnothere

I strongly disagree. If anything, Price struggling just shows how vulnerable this team is without elite goaltending.

No matter how bad your goaltender is, you will never win a game if you can't score a goal.

imnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Miller Time

fail

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:54 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You mean

Reason we won any games last year: Carey Price.

When Price does not play HART calibre hockey, this team is exposed for what it is. Poorly managed, poorly coached, and lacking cohesion.

Nothing he could do on any of the
goals last night. He was stellar in
Pittsburgh. He's had one bad
game in Colorado and that is all.
The team needs to play for him,
it's evident they are not when they
let him get run and he has to
protect himself. Price's stick work last night was evident of frustration
with his team-mates.
He doesn't need to be hart calibre. As long as he at least is as good as his opposing goalie, we have a chance. He's been outplayed night after night. And he owns his own reactions, it's ridiculous to blame his teammates for his lack of focus. He gets paid millions to be solid, right know he's one of the worst starters in the league.

Old
10-23-2011, 10:56 AM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
This team starts and ends with Price. Do they have other problems? Absolutely. But we're built around the net. Unless Price plays to his potential we will go nowhere.

We can win with any player(s) slumping, except Price. If he's not rolling than the team isn't, period. So is the life of an NHL goalie.

I don't think he's done by any stretch of the imagination but if we hope to start winning, it'll be Price that gets us there and past this slump. To do that he needs to improve his close to league worst numbers and start stopping the puck.
Around what net? We have 2 sophomore D's, 2 D's who've never played in the NHL, and a D coming back from a long-term injury. In the meantime we have 3 scoring lines on the other end. Which net are we built around? Just because JM is so stubborn and thinks we should play a defensive system it doesn't mean that we are built that way. In fact that's the reason why he's taking the blame.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:01 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Carey Price had an amazing season last year, pretty sure he reacted by getting better. Moronic post.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote