HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reason We're Not Winning: Carey Price

Old
10-23-2011, 04:56 PM
TomPlex

vCash: 500
Let Price face 10 consecutive breakaways, he lets in 3 goals and the "fans" are complaining that he only has a .700 SV%

I am ashamed to be a part of this idiotic fanbase.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 05:15 PM
optimus2861

Our defence corps, today, looks like the worst group in the league. I refuse to blame Price for anything until this glaring weakness is addressed.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Dekar

Consider how well every player on our team has been playing,, and then put them in a list from making the most of opportunities down to making the least. Price is in our top 5.

That's not to say he's been playing out of his mind and stealing us games, but too many of our guys are mailing it in and slumping hardcore right now, and Price has been keeping us in most games.

He is not the problem. At all.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 05:58 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
You look at the stat too exclusively, I would counter by saying all that shows is the team gave up 1 extra goal per game to this point. Last night isn't the only example this year in games with low shot totals, without any of them really being his fault.

The whole team is in a funk and Carey Price is one of the least reasons why, his stats don't tell the whole story, as they often don't. Not to mention, after 6 games SV% is indicative of basically nothing. 1 shutout would drastically improve his stats and many will think he did it all alone. Or that his game has all the sudden drastically changed, which is completely silly.
I understand completely.

Last year, Price's save percentage was a reflection entirely of his strong net play and the better defence did not contribute to Price's stats and marginally to Hab's success.

But this year because the habs have a poor defence we should ignore Price's stats because he is playing great. The defence is 100% guilty of Price's and Hab's poor defensive performance.

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:33 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I understand completely.

Last year, Price's save percentage was a reflection entirely of his strong net play and the better defence did not contribute to Price's stats and marginally to Hab's success.

But this year because the habs have a poor defence we should ignore Price's stats because he is playing great. The defence is 100% guilty of Price's and Hab's poor defensive performance.
I never once claimed that price was solely responsible for the teams success last year, he played well, but we had a much more steady, experienced dmen in front of him. That's simplistic analysis by those who don't want to dig deeper.

When a team wins it's always the goalie carrying the way and when a team loses it's always the goalies fault. I don't follow this logic, many may, but I'm not one of them. The only time I stated our goalie was the main reason was when halak went on an unbelievable tear, being out shot, out chanced 2 and 3-1, but it was simply not sustainable for him or anyone.

If you're trying to use strawman arguments to counter my points, don't bother and don't lump me into the others who credit the goaltender with everything, whether it's winning or losing, I don't.

Last edited by habsjunkie2*: 10-24-2011 at 05:22 AM.
habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:42 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I never once claimed that price was solely responsible for the teams success last year, he played well, but we had a much more steady, experienced dmen in front of him. That's simplistic analysis by those who want to dig deeper.

When a team wins it's always the goalie carrying the way and when a team loses it's always the goalies fault. I don't follow this logic, many may, but I'm not one of them. The only time I stated our goalie was the main reason was when halak went on an unbelievable tear, being out shot, out chanced 2 and 3-1, but it was simply not sustainable for him or anyone.

If you're trying to use strawman arguments to counter my points, don't bother and don't lump me into the others who credit the goaltender with everything, whether it's winning or losing, I don't.
Maybe we agree and my main point has been " his play this year is the reason he shares some (but not all) of the responsibility"

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
For everyone who says to fire Martin, trade Gomez or Markov, PK is having a softmore slump, etc. I think I'm being pretty accurate when I say that the worse player on the Habs thus far this year has been Carey Price.

Yes, he's an All Star and the face of our franchise, but so far this season, he's been awful. His numbers are abismal and he needs to step up his game big time. Outside of a few circus saves, he's been really soft and not been the source of much confidence for his team mates.

There a several games this year we should have won had we had decent goaltending. I'm including last nights game, Buffalo, Calgary, Colorado, heck, maybe even the first game against the Leafs.

Had Price played up to his ability, even just half decent, we had a legitimate shot of winning all those games. Instead, we're scoring 4 or 5 goals in a game a losing. This isn't 2 years ago when Price wasn't getting any goal support. This is Price not keeping his team in the game.

Now I know our defense isn't what it can be and we have rookies filling in and playing big minutes, our PP is a joke as is out PK, but still. At the end of the day, we need Price to be Price. If he isn't, than its going to be a looooong year.

I know it's not the popular thing to say because Price is a hometown hero, but if we're being honest with our team and not biased over who we like and dislike than we need to look squarely at Price as the biggest piece of the puzzle that needs to be solved. We can't keep losing games after scoring 4 or 5 goals. Price needs to steal some games for us so the team can get its swagger back and start winning again!
In a system that relies solely on outstanding goaltending with five guys in front of our net trying to play goal, it's easy to blame the goalie isn't it?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:49 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Actually the reason why the keep losing was stated perfectly by one of the players....

"But forward Lars Eller said the team let their goaltender down, much as they have all season, as Price’s save percentage continues to plummet.

"It’s not like us to give that many chances against, I think Carey stood on his head," said Eller, who had two assists and was a plus-3. "It’s not like us. I can’t recognize us in our own zone right now."

Not Price, but the entire team.

Stop with the blame Price crap.

Old
10-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Aceekay

This is what happens when people look at stats, and only stats. Why bother watch the game when hockey db takes like 10 seconds?

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:13 PM
number 11

holy **** only a matter of time until this thread came up

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Gainey#1*

Can Carey Price be better? Sure he can.

However, he is the least of our worries right now.

An extra save per game would be huge for our players though.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:28 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
“The goals against is really a team stat. When you look at the goals that they scored, you know, I coughed one up to the leading goal scorer in the NHL right in front of the net and gave him a clear cut shot,” said Gorges of a broken play that led to a Phil Kessel goal for the Leafs. “That’s not the goalie’s fault, that’s my fault. We allowed them to crash the net and disrupt what Carey's able to do, and again – that’s not his fault, it’s ours. You ask him and he’ll say he has to be better, but we really need to be better in front of him.”

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=597182
well said by gorges. our next captain you say

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote