HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs acquire Nokelainen and Stafford from Phoenix for Trotter and 7th

Old
10-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Halifaxhab*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Yes. But we got the best d-men we have signed right now in Montreal. Mietra, nor Stafford, nor any others in hamilton could make a real difference. Henry would be great if he could only skate !
Without another trade or a miracle return of Markov, I think that adding Mitera to a 3rd pairing can add a little grit to a blueline lacking some. Emelin has been making improvements, Gorges is playing well, Subban is trying too hard, Gill has been a warrior but is ageing. Most of the goals scored this season have been based off crashing the net and our D have been unable to stop that. Until that is solved, we will remain in hot water

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:55 PM
HTTP 400

vCash: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Look through his other years in the league and you see he hovers aruond 52-53% on top of the short sample this year, so its definitely a strength of his through his rather short career.

Also looking at his others years you see he does almost always end up playing decent PK time - strange he is not this year indeed though. Weirdly enough he has gotten some good PP time for Phoenix this year, though it doesn't look like he ever did in the past.
Actually, I only checked his last year in the NHL (2009-10) and saw he got a very low 45% success rate on faceoffs. That's why his 58% this year looked suspicious to me.

But you're right, he did get a very respectable 53,4% in 2008-09 and 52,3% in 2007-08. I hope that's what we'll get from him.

HTTP 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:55 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

he can win faceoff but can he fight?

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:56 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Both teams have to want to make a trade. PG can't phone the opposing GM and tell him that he HAS to make the trade NOW.
Phoenix found out that Gordon could do the job better after few games. + they might have to shed more $$$ from their caps. Have you seen the attendance in the stands lately ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:56 PM
habfaninvictoria

I'm completely baffled by this trade.

It does nothing for immediate help. We lose yet another player we've spent soooo much time in the minor developing. Trotter was not going to be the second coming of Lafleur but I thought he had a good camp and merited a look some time this year.

We get another underachieving first rounder who's bounced from team to team, and a career AHL player....

This trade makes no sense. The only thing we get is an extra body. Lets watch now as Trotter goes and gets 30 points+ in Phx.

This team is in serious trouble.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:57 PM
sheed36

I don't know much about Nokelainen as a player but from reading a few posts here and at other forums he seems like a guy who works hard, decent on the PK and can win a faceoff.. Seems like a good fit for the Habs 4th line.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:58 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard4u2win View Post
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Pac
AK-Eller-Moen
Cole-Desharnais-Gionta
Darche-Nokelainen-Blunden

Sounds good.
You have Cole and Max on their wrong sides.

Max-DD work well together...I wish JM would leave that alone.

Eller is a center...leave him there!

Pleky at center naturally.

BYE BYE Gomez

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:59 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

I hate you guys. I took a bite of my apple, saw Hab aquired and Stafford and was like WTF SABRES TRADED STAFFORD?!

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
??... Someone complained because he was from Finland ?
You have comments like these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Another soft european yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I didn't even know that Nokelainen still played in the NHL.

Another soft euro for the 4th line, yup fits the organisational model perfectly.

**** THE STATUS QUO! FIRE GAUTHIER TOO
And other comments calling him "soft" when some of the same offenders speak of Steckel, an even softer player, like he's gritty.

From everything I know about Nokelainen he's not soft, he won't make this team tough by any means but he averages over a hit a game for his career despite limited minutes, and does have a little bit of a physical game. He had over 100 PIMs for Jokerit last year. I'd rather have a healthy Blair Betts but Nokelainen does bring faceoffs and hard work to the 4th line.

You can complain that he's not a great player, that he doesn't fundamentally change the makeup of this team, but calling him "soft" seems to be based entirely on the fact that he's not North American.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:00 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post

It does nothing for immediate help. We lose yet another player we've spent soooo much time in the minor developing. Trotter was not going to be the second coming of Lafleur but I thought he had a good camp and merited a look some time this year.

We get another underachieving first rounder who's bounced from team to team, and a career AHL player....

This trade makes no sense. The only thing we get is an extra body. Lets watch now as Trotter goes and gets 30 points+ in Phx.

Trotter will end up in the AHL once again with his two-way contract. he was just one of the many small centers/forward the Habs got in their system. I'd rather have Gallagher or Bournival than him on the Habs roster down the road.

Old
10-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post

So we traded a career ahler, for another career ahler and 7th pick to upgrade the 4the line center position to get Engqvist out of there. Also to improve faceoffs.

Not every deal has to be a blockbuster one. Before this trade there was a thread made saying our 4th line was the worst and useless. There was also one that said Engqvist was useless. So we upgraded on Engqvist in every possible way, that is an improvement no?

We're not going to win the cup because of thsi trade, but it still improved an area needing improvement.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

And other comments calling him "soft" when some of the same offenders speak of Steckel, an even softer player, like he's gritty.

From everything I know about Nokelainen he's not soft, he won't make this team tough by any means but he averages over a hit a game for his career despite limited minutes, and does have a little bit of a physical game. He had over 100 PIMs for Jokerit last year.

You can complain that he's not a great player, that he doesn't fundamentally change the makeup of this team, but calling him "soft" seems to be based entirely on the fact that he's not North American.
Given the make up of this team, he isn't tough enough for our 4th line. That's just my opinion.

If we had guys like Lucic, Horton or Chara running around on other lines and had Noke on the 4th line C role, my opinion would change.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Andy

Quote:
Given the make up of this team, he isn't tough enough for our 4th line. That's just my opinion.

If we had guys like Lucic, Horton or Chara running around on other lines and had Noke on the 4th line C role, my opinion would change.
Given that we had no 4th line center, then he fills a need.

And I hope our 4th isn't put out when Lucic and Horton are playing.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:05 PM
habitue*

Quote:

He might not be the ideal 4th liner but Gauthier was unable to sign a Rupp, or aMcCormick or a Winchester last July.

I would say that adding one of them to Moen and White would had made a difference somehow. But White is injured for (???)... and Moen is replacing our underachiving casts on upper lines.

Old
10-23-2011, 01:06 PM
29dryden29

WTF this is horrible PG has no friggin clue what he is doing Molson needs to had PG and JM their walking papers OMFG this is horrendous.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:06 PM
gusfring

Why is it taking so long to address a need?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:09 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

From everything I know about Nokelainen he's not soft, he won't make this team tough by any means but he averages over a hit a game for his career despite limited minutes, and does have a little bit of a physical game. He had over 100 PIMs for Jokerit last year. I'd rather have a healthy Blair Betts but Nokelainen does bring faceoffs and hard work to the 4th line.

He also has a laundry list of injuries longer than Markovs.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Doesn't mean he's not an improvement over Engqvist.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Why is it taking so long to address a need?
Because it doesn't take a day to make a trade. The real World is waiting for you, whenever you want to join buddy..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Coyotes fan coming in peace, guys. Can you tell me anything about Trotter? He seems like a career AHL type to me at first glance, but I'm hoping that I'm wrong. You guys are getting a big body in Nokie.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
Am I the only one here happy with this trade?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Eller-Kostitsyn
Moen-Desharnais-Cole
Darche-Nokelainen-Blunden

Could work.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Coyotes fan coming in peace, guys. Can you tell me anything about Trotter? He seems like a career AHL type to me at first glance, but I'm hoping that I'm wrong. You guys are getting a big body in Nokie.
You got it !

Old
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

Was this just so PG can say" look! I'm doing my job! Don't fire me!"

How does this help us, exactly?

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Am I the only one here happy with this trade?
I am, but any positive post gets sandwiched between all negative posts.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote