HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Czerkawski question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2011, 01:39 PM
  #1
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Czerkawski question

Just a quick question on Mariusz. What exactly happened to him? I know this is going back some time but he was a very good player (even an all-star at times) but then seemed to fade into oblivion especially when traded to Montreal. Just wondering.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:46 PM
  #2
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,871
vCash: 500
He was comfortable here. He was one of those guys who plays well with confidence.

But most importantly he got big minutes here. When he put up those big numbers he was on the first pp unit, he was on the first line, he was on the ice late in the game, etc. He just never got that opportunity elsewhere (rightly so).

His best year here was actually his last one here (imo). He started playing a bit more all around. It was too late though and he was past his prime. Good little player. But not a good player on a good team.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:07 PM
  #3
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
He's not as bad as he is usually portrayed, merely a good offensive player who's stats were augmented by big minutes.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:27 PM
  #4
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
Just a quick question on Mariusz. What exactly happened to him? I know this is going back some time but he was a very good player (even an all-star at times) but then seemed to fade into oblivion especially when traded to Montreal. Just wondering.
I'm not sure when his last year was, but was likely a victim of the 04-05 lockout.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:33 PM
  #5
bigtim1988
veteran user.
 
bigtim1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: long island
Country: United States
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
He's not as bad as he is usually portrayed, merely a good offensive player who's stats were augmented by big minutes.
Yea he had a few good offensive seasons for us but he was always hated on bc he was one dimensional player. I personally liked him a lot, reminds me of when i first started getting into hockey

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:29 PM
  #6
mczerkawski21
Registered User
 
mczerkawski21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Somerville,NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
As the Islander boards resident Czerkawski expert... After his time here he played a year in the SEL with Djurgardens where he actually put up some decent numbers. In 2005 he tried an NHL comback with toronto where he had 4 goals in 19 games before being sent to Boston where he had 4 goals in 16 games. Not terrible but he was already done by that point. From 06 thru 08 he joined Rapperswil-Jona of the Swiss league where he was a point per game player. He retired in 09 and last time I heard from him he was taking a position I believe(not positive) as the president of hockey operations for the country of Poland.

Overall the Polish Prince of hockey was a great player IF he was on and IF he had the right linemates(Yashin). I quote a conversation I had with Butch "He was a great guy to have on the team, but he always left me wanting more" That pretty much sums it up. One game he would look like a 40 scorer...the next 5 he litterally disapeared. Still the best at pulling off a spim-o-rama move by far. No matter what people say he was still a good Islander and was the best players on a **** team for a number of years.

mczerkawski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:19 PM
  #7
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 500
Czerkawski, Yashin, Reichel, Schremp... we're all Islanders.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:42 AM
  #8
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,362
vCash: 500
add Satan

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:31 PM
  #9
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczerkawski21 View Post
As the Islander boards resident Czerkawski expert... After his time here he played a year in the SEL with Djurgardens where he actually put up some decent numbers. In 2005 he tried an NHL comback with toronto where he had 4 goals in 19 games before being sent to Boston where he had 4 goals in 16 games. Not terrible but he was already done by that point. From 06 thru 08 he joined Rapperswil-Jona of the Swiss league where he was a point per game player. He retired in 09 and last time I heard from him he was taking a position I believe(not positive) as the president of hockey operations for the country of Poland.

Overall the Polish Prince of hockey was a great player IF he was on and IF he had the right linemates(Yashin). I quote a conversation I had with Butch "He was a great guy to have on the team, but he always left me wanting more" That pretty much sums it up. One game he would look like a 40 scorer...the next 5 he litterally disapeared. Still the best at pulling off a spim-o-rama move by far. No matter what people say he was still a good Islander and was the best players on a **** team for a number of years.
In terms of inconsistency, he sounds a lot like Comeau. Very good in all facets for 10 games or so and pretty useless in the next 10.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:41 PM
  #10
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,030
vCash: 500
When Chow wasn't scoring he wasn't doing anything else.
The worst defensive game I can ever remember at the NHL level, refused to hit, and held the puck forever.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:48 PM
  #11
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
When Chow wasn't scoring he wasn't doing anything else.
The worst defensive game I can ever remember at the NHL level, refused to hit, and held the puck forever.
He also had the most PPG in one season (barring Yashin) for the Islanders since Ziggy Palffy.

Look, I'm not saying that scoring is the only thing that matters. IMO there is a line at some point where if you score a good amount of points, you are definitely a positive contributor.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
  #12
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,154
vCash: 500
Czerkawski was a stand up guy for the Islanders. He wasn't as inconsistent as some make him out to be. He's only flaw was that he wasnt a good defensive player and a bit soft. He's also not really a first line kind of player as the Islanders was forced to use him in but a second liner who brings that much needed secondary scoring.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
  #13
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Czerkawski was a stand up guy for the Islanders. He wasn't as inconsistent as some make him out to be. He's only flaw was that he wasnt a good defensive player and a bit soft. He's also not really a first line kind of player as the Islanders was forced to use him in but a second liner who brings that much needed secondary scoring.
On a team with any chance of winning, Czerkawski is a 4th liner who can play on the powerplay.

He was a good offensive player, but if you are utterly useless in 2 out of 3 zones, you shouldn't get the kind of minutes that he did on those bad Isles teams.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:59 AM
  #14
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!
 
VAIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SELL Wang! SnowBLOWS
Country: United States
Posts: 494
vCash: 500
I loved Czerkawski definitely my favorite Islander during that era... Why does Chow get all the hate on here??? The current team "Czerkawski" could be Grabner!!! Grabs is streaky but is terrible defensively and also floats... Just my opinion...

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:11 PM
  #15
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
On a team with any chance of winning, Czerkawski is a 4th liner who can play on the powerplay.

He was a good offensive player, but if you are utterly useless in 2 out of 3 zones, you shouldn't get the kind of minutes that he did on those bad Isles teams.
That's a slight exaggeration. You can pull out a lot of winning teams from the past that had a Czerkawski-caliber player in their top 6 (I'm only talking his best year).

In regards to minutes, it's chicken and the egg. He got plenty of icetime, but he also faced the top defensive pairing with crappy teammates.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.