HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect thread 5.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2012, 03:40 PM
  #751
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ing-2012-21-30

New HF rankings are out and you guessed it! We're last.
If Doherty is indeed 5th San Jose is in deep trouble.

210 is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 05:46 PM
  #752
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking
 
hohosaregood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
If Doherty is indeed 5th San Jose is in deep trouble.
I'm willing to bet it's just HF being stupid again.

hohosaregood is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 06:22 PM
  #753
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,448
vCash: 500
Doherty's ranking is not unreasonable given his performance in juniors, especially if you do not watch him play.

OrrNumber4 is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 06:40 PM
  #754
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
If Doherty is indeed 5th San Jose is in deep trouble.
He got an 8. Don't they update this after an AHL season.

We have only Freddie H and maybe Gourde in the bank as forwards.

VP and GM is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 06:43 PM
  #755
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Doherty's ranking is not unreasonable given his performance in juniors, especially if you do not watch him play.
It's entirely unreasonable given his performance in the pros...

210 is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 06:43 PM
  #756
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
He got an 8. Don't they update this after an AHL season.

We have only Freddie H and maybe Gourde in the bank as forwards.
Gourde is not San Jose property, and as such isn't a prospect.

210 is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 06:44 PM
  #757
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,470
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
He got an 8. Don't they update this after an AHL season.

We have only Freddie H and maybe Gourde in the bank as forwards.
Matt Nieto.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 06:45 PM
  #758
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Gourde is not San Jose property, and as such isn't a prospect.
I know, hence the "maybe" and the echo in the prospect cup board.

I'm hoping Gourde be good and will get an NHL contract next year... do i sound desperate for a decent prospect...

VP and GM is offline  
Old
05-29-2012, 07:00 PM
  #759
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
It's entirely unreasonable given his performance in the pros...
No, no, I mean that given the resources Hockeysfuture has, as well as the general obsession fans have with junior hockey performance, I can see why Doherty was ranked that way.

It is so tough rankings prospects. Who's better, a guy in top-ten scoring in juniors, or a guy who has shown he can handle NHL time and is putting 50+ points in the AHL?

OrrNumber4 is offline  
Old
05-31-2012, 07:04 PM
  #760
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 56,553
vCash: 500
SanJoseSharks 4:19pm via Web #SJSharks prospect Sean Kuraly was named to the All-USHL Second Team. http://t.co/KBRa4wRl

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:04 PM
  #761
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,470
vCash: 1004
If anyone cares, HF's prospect rankings have been changed.

I don't remember exactly what they were before, but here are some outstanding ones (to me):

Petrecki down to 6.5C
Doherty (lol) down to 7.5C
Hamilton up to 7.5C
Nieto up to 7.5C
Demelo, Abeltshauser, and Moffie up to 7.0C
Acolatse up to 7.0D
Kuraly up to 7.0D

Sebastian Stalberg has been given a 6.5C, Matt Tennyson a 7.5D (wow, didn't see that coming ), and Travis Oleksuk also a 7.5D.

The most obvious thing at a quick glance is that we have no one at an 8 (first line/pair upside) and no one with a grade at a B or higher (a pretty sure thing to reach that potential).

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:09 PM
  #762
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 33,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
If anyone cares, HF's prospect rankings have been changed.

I don't remember exactly what they were before, but here are some outstanding ones (to me):

Petrecki down to 6.5C
Doherty (lol) down to 7.5C
Hamilton up to 7.5C
Nieto up to 7.5C
Demelo, Abeltshauser, and Moffie up to 7.0C
Acolatse up to 7.0D
Kuraly up to 7.0D

Sebastian Stalberg has been given a 6.5C, Matt Tennyson a 7.5D (wow, didn't see that coming ), and Travis Oleksuk also a 7.5D.

The most obvious thing at a quick glance is that we have no one at an 8 (first line/pair upside) and no one with a grade at a B or higher (a pretty sure thing to reach that potential).
Don't fret. From 2009

1. (1) Logan Couture, C – 7.5 C

4. (3) Jamie McGinn, LW – 7.0 C

12. (11) Jason Demers, D – 6.5 D

17. (13) Justin Braun, D, 6.5 D

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ects_fall2009/

__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:10 PM
  #763
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
If anyone cares, HF's prospect rankings have been changed.
I CARE!

But seriously, now our guys are overrated.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:12 PM
  #764
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,470
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Don't fret. From 2009

1. (1) Logan Couture, C – 7.5 C

4. (3) Jamie McGinn, LW – 7.0 C

12. (11) Jason Demers, D – 6.5 D

17. (13) Justin Braun, D, 6.5 D

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ects_fall2009/
I won't comment on those rankings as I didn't see/hear much about those prospects. But the rankings we got from HF this year all seem fair or generous to me, whereas Couture should have been a B.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:19 PM
  #765
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 33,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I won't comment on those rankings as I didn't see/hear much about those prospects. But the rankings we got from HF this year all seem fair or generous to me, whereas Couture should have been a B.
Well, not directed at you and no offense to others, but I have little faith in anybody projecting the potential of prospects. 1rst rounders bust. Pavelski's come out of nowhere.

It's a fun exercise, but rarely accurate IMO unless your talking seriously high end talent. Then the observations and expectations can be more accurate.

I think there's been at least 3 players that are on the Sharks today that those who report on them for us from the baby Sharks never even mentioned as potential NHLers or undervalued them. And some players actually play better with tougher competition in the NHL than in the AHL.

Led Zappa is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:23 PM
  #766
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,470
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Well, not directed at you and no offense to others, but I have little faith in anybody projecting the potential of prospects. 1rst rounders bust. Pavelski's come out of nowhere.

It's a fun exercise, but rarely accurate IMO unless your talking seriously high end talent. Then the observations and expectations can be more accurate.

I think there's been at least 3 players that are on the Sharks today that those who report on them for us from the baby Sharks never even mentioned as potential NHLers or undervalued them. And some players actually play better with tougher competition in the NHL than in the AHL.
Of course. But you can't blame me for being a little down on this group.

As an aside, who do we all think is going to be next year's surprise NHLer? This year it was Wingels, last year it was Braun/Desjardins, year before Demers, year before, McGinn. Who's it gonna be?

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:26 PM
  #767
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
I remember thinking Clowe was the worst player i had ever seen, what a turnaround.

God I hope we have a hidden top 6 somewhere again.

matt trick is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
  #768
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 34,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Of course. But you can't blame me for being a little down on this group.

As an aside, who do we all think is going to be next year's surprise NHLer? This year it was Wingels, last year it was Braun/Desjardins, year before Demers, year before, McGinn. Who's it gonna be?
I'm looking at three guys....Stalberg, Tennyson and Petrecki. I have a feeling one of them will emerge and see some NHL action.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
  #769
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,933
vCash: 500
Personally, mine would look like this:

Petrecki 7.0C
Doherty 7.0C
Hamilton 7.5C
Nieto 7.5C
Abeltshauser, Moffie 7.0C
Acolatse 6.5C
Kuraly 6.5C

I actually didnt want to give any of our guys the "7.5" but I had to give them a higher grade than the others. 7.5 suggests top-6 forward, but I think they'll be more of tweeners.

magic school bus is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:43 PM
  #770
Sharksfan83
Registered User
 
Sharksfan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
If anyone cares, HF's prospect rankings have been changed.

I don't remember exactly what they were before, but here are some outstanding ones (to me):

Petrecki down to 6.5C
Doherty (lol) down to 7.5C
Hamilton up to 7.5C
Nieto up to 7.5C
Demelo, Abeltshauser, and Moffie up to 7.0C
Acolatse up to 7.0D
Kuraly up to 7.0D

Sebastian Stalberg has been given a 6.5C, Matt Tennyson a 7.5D (wow, didn't see that coming ), and Travis Oleksuk also a 7.5D.

The most obvious thing at a quick glance is that we have no one at an 8 (first line/pair upside) and no one with a grade at a B or higher (a pretty sure thing to reach that potential).
Liar! Chris Crane is a 4.5B

The B rating is generally given once prospects are either just about ready to step into that role in the NHL, or have played a few games in that role. That's why Couture wasn't given that rating, he would have been once he played a few games in the NHL.

Sharksfan83 is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 09:56 PM
  #771
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,470
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
Liar! Chris Crane is a 4.5B

The B rating is generally given once prospects are either just about ready to step into that role in the NHL, or have played a few games in that role. That's why Couture wasn't given that rating, he would have been once he played a few games in the NHL.
I knew someone was going to call me out on that.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 10:33 PM
  #772
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Personally, mine would look like this:

Petrecki 7.0C
Doherty 7.0C
Hamilton 7.5C
Nieto 7.5C
Abeltshauser, Moffie 7.0C
Acolatse 6.5C
Kuraly 6.5C

I actually didnt want to give any of our guys the "7.5" but I had to give them a higher grade than the others. 7.5 suggests top-6 forward, but I think they'll be more of tweeners.
This looks much more reasonable from what I've seen written on these players. Just shows how bad the prospect pool is over all if we have to reach to get a 7.5

VP and GM is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 10:44 PM
  #773
SignThornton
BEAST MODE
 
SignThornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Catharines, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,906
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SignThornton Send a message via MSN to SignThornton Send a message via Yahoo to SignThornton
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Hamilton up to 7.5C

Is a little surprised they bumped Freddie up to a 7.5 C(well I was expecting a 7 C). They must've heard me ******** when he was at a 6.5 C.


SignThornton is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 11:04 PM
  #774
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,470
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignThornton View Post
Is a little surprised they bumped Freddie up to a 7.5 C(well I was expecting a 7 C). They must've heard me ******** when he was at a 6.5 C.

I feel the same. And it bothered me that he and Nieto have the same ranking despite being completely different types of prospects. I'd have Nieto at an 8.0D, and Hamilton at a 6.5B (or a 7.0C).

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
06-01-2012, 11:40 PM
  #775
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,933
vCash: 500
HF should definitely re-look at the standard of the prospect grades. I do think the grades were too low before, but they shouldn't inflate the grades either to compensate.

magic school bus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.