HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect thread 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2012, 05:13 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RammsteinGT View Post
Sorry if this is old news/analysis, but here's a depressing bit of draft/trade history-in-retrospect that I assume Doug Wilson wishes he could have back:

The New York Rangers traded the rights to Mark Messier to San Jose for future considerations (2004 fourth round pick, Ryan Callahan) on June 30th, 2003.

The Sharks compensatory third-round pick (Alex Edler) for losing Mark Messier went to the Vancouver Canucks as the result of a trade on June 26, 2004 that sent Vancouver's third-round pick (Clune) in 2005 to Dallas in exchange for this pick (Edler).

Dallas previously acquired this pick (Edler) as the result of a trade on June 26, 2004 that sent New Jersey's first-round (Kaspar) and Dallas' fifth-round picks (Zalewski) in 2004 (22nd and 153rd overall) to San Jose in exchange for the Sharks first-round pick (Fistric), compensatory second-round pick (Sawada) both in 2004 (28th and 52nd overall) and this pick (Edler).

So, we traded Ryan Callahan for Alex Edler, and then flipped him, a first-rounder and a second for a bust and an AHL’er, neither of which we currently have anything to show for (thus, obviously proving once and for all that compensatory picks are more effective than regular picks)! Using that logic, our most recent compensatory pick, Chris Tierney (ironically received from Vancouver) is destined for greatness. If so, the universe works in mysterious ways.

Yeah, I had a productive lunch-hour at work today.
I know that's just horrible, but it's also hilarious.

"How could it get worse?"

"oh wait, there's more."

07-30-2012, 05:59 PM
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I know that's just horrible, but it's also hilarious.

"How could it get worse?"

"oh wait, there's more."
I was just perusing draft history on Sharkspage, and I noticed this, 1999, 2000, & 2002 drafts for the Sharks yielded "ONE" player total that went on to play in NHL ( Murray). How's that for efficient.

I didn't count jillson who played a handful of games

Old
07-30-2012, 11:13 PM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

So am i correct that Gourde, as an AHL contract player, can attending Sharks training camp?

As an AHL contract player, can another NHL team sign him to a 2 way deal at any time?

Old
07-31-2012, 12:55 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RammsteinGT View Post
Sorry if this is old news/analysis, but here's a depressing bit of draft/trade history-in-retrospect that I assume Doug Wilson wishes he could have back:

The New York Rangers traded the rights to Mark Messier to San Jose for future considerations (2004 fourth round pick, Ryan Callahan) on June 30th, 2003.

The Sharks compensatory third-round pick (Alex Edler) for losing Mark Messier went to the Vancouver Canucks as the result of a trade on June 26, 2004 that sent Vancouver's third-round pick (Clune) in 2005 to Dallas in exchange for this pick (Edler).

Dallas previously acquired this pick (Edler) as the result of a trade on June 26, 2004 that sent New Jersey's first-round (Kaspar) and Dallas' fifth-round picks (Zalewski) in 2004 (22nd and 153rd overall) to San Jose in exchange for the Sharks first-round pick (Fistric), compensatory second-round pick (Sawada) both in 2004 (28th and 52nd overall) and this pick (Edler).

So, we traded Ryan Callahan for Alex Edler, and then flipped him, a first-rounder and a second for a bust and an AHL’er, neither of which we currently have anything to show for (thus, obviously proving once and for all that compensatory picks are more effective than regular picks)! Using that logic, our most recent compensatory pick, Chris Tierney (ironically received from Vancouver) is destined for greatness. If so, the universe works in mysterious ways.

Yeah, I had a productive lunch-hour at work today.
You're assuming a lot from Burke. Had the Sharks kept those picks, I'm sure they would have been used on a couple of HS kids from Massachusetts. I think that's why DW is constantly trading the Sharks picks.

07-31-2012, 09:48 AM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
You're assuming a lot from Burke. Had the Sharks kept those picks, I'm sure they would have been used on a couple of HS kids from Massachusetts. I think that's why DW is constantly trading the Sharks picks.
Well, yeah. I'm going to have to assume or draft retrospects are completely pointless! And as for Burke, DW would have just overridden him and picked any available 67's.

Old
07-31-2012, 10:21 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
So am i correct that Gourde, as an AHL contract player, can attending Sharks training camp?

As an AHL contract player, can another NHL team sign him to a 2 way deal at any time?
Yes. Yes.

However, most guys who sign AHL deals do so because they do not have the skill to play above that.

Note that when the Sharks signed Boucher from AHL, he asked NHL parent to match; they did not, so he signed with Sharks. Very rare deal.

Sharks also like to see (some) kids play @ AHL and then reward them with NHL deal.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:41 PM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Yes. Yes.
Sharks also like to see (some) kids play @ AHL and then reward them with NHL deal.
I'm hoping this happens with Gourde for sure, hate to think we lose a prospect cause another team just signs him. I know he's not a slam dunk NHLer, just that we have so few prospects...

Old
08-02-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Yes. Yes.

However, most guys who sign AHL deals do so because they do not have the skill to play above that.

Note that when the Sharks signed Boucher from AHL, he asked NHL parent to match; they did not, so he signed with Sharks. Very rare deal.

That's happened exactly once that I can recall...Andrew Desjardins. And he was not on San Jose's radar at all when Worcester signed him to the AHL contract.

BTW, I don't count Claude Lemieux or Sandis Ozolinsh as those players were signed to AHL contracts specifically to avoid a guaranteed NHL contract if the player was unable to play at the level.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
I'm hoping this happens with Gourde for sure, hate to think we lose a prospect cause another team just signs him. I know he's not a slam dunk NHLer, just that we have so few prospects...
It is VERY rare for a team to sign a player on an AHL deal away from another organization...it's so rare you shouldn't give another thought to it happening.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:00 PM
croAVSfan*

What do you Sharks fans think about Konrad Albethauser ? Is he good enough to earn roster spot for 12/13 season or is he projected for some seasoning in AHL first ?

Thanks !

Old
08-03-2012, 06:16 PM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post
What do you Sharks fans think about Konrad Albethauser ? Is he good enough to earn roster spot for 12/13 season or is he projected for some seasoning in AHL first ?

Thanks !
San Jose is loaded with defense this year. probably play in the AHL or do another year in the Q. Sharks don't see any real reason to rush his development

Old
08-04-2012, 04:24 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Both Sean Kuraly and Colin Blackwell are at the US National Junior Evaluation Camp this week.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
Sharks prospects with a good first period. Colin Blackwell with a goal, Sean Kuraly stood out consistently.

#Panthers Trocheck #Jackets Reilly #NYRangers Skjei #Coyotes Samuelsson #Sharks Kuraly players I've liked through 2.

(In case anyone cares).

Old
08-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Both Sean Kuraly and Colin Blackwell are at the US National Junior Evaluation Camp this week.

Sharks prospects with a good first period. Colin Blackwell with a goal, Sean Kuraly stood out consistently.

#Panthers Trocheck #Jackets Reilly #NYRangers Skjei #Coyotes Samuelsson #Sharks Kuraly players I've liked through 2.

(In case anyone cares).
I care...it's good that Kuraly is standing out. I have high hopes with him. I think he could a very strong to elite 3rd liner for the Sharks.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:31 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Sean Kuraly's having a big camp so far. Plus speed split the D. 1-0 Team Blue

Sean Kuraly puts up another goal. Pretty hands play this time. #Sharks

He's playing on the 2nd line with Blackwell and Noesen today. Sounds like he's having a great camp so far.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Kitten Mittons

Is Kuraly going to college next year?

Old
08-05-2012, 03:44 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Is Kuraly going to college next year?
Miami U @ Ohio, I believe, where his father is the school's all-time leading scorer. Same school as Wingels and Boyle went.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:12 PM
wishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Sean Kuraly's having a big camp so far. Plus speed split the D. 1-0 Team Blue

Sean Kuraly puts up another goal. Pretty hands play this time. #Sharks

He's playing on the 2nd line with Blackwell and Noesen today. Sounds like he's having a great camp so far.
Plus speed with nice hands in a 6'2 frame! Nice!!! Hopefully he turns out to be another late round steal!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=124249

Old
08-05-2012, 09:34 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

So how many guys do we have that seem to becoming at least good/great 3rd liners? Kuraly, Hamilton,...Viedensky? I dunno but seems like we still got great center depth, especially ones that seem like middle 6 quality.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:26 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.usahockey.com/Tournament/...8&GameID=43135

Stats from WJC camp game

Old
08-06-2012, 09:38 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

kurals7 7:14am via Twitter for iPhone Play Finland this afternoon. Looking for another big W from the boys in blue. #USA #uniquehashtag

Old
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post

Thanks !
Personally, in Halifax itd be much better for him as he'd get a Memorial Cup run, and gain the experience of a lifetime from that.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:02 PM
KirbyDots

USA Hockey Magazine ‏@USAHMagazine
Sean Kuraly keeps his scoring touch at the #NJEC going with another goal following a nice drive by Brady Skjei. 2-1 Team USA.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:05 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
I care...it's good that Kuraly is standing out. I have high hopes with him. I think he could a very strong to elite 3rd liner for the Sharks.
another goal and assist for him today. Next Joe$$$$.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:15 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

just saying, it's out there.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 75 GP, 23-38-14 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
08-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Kitten Mittons

I guess our scouting staff has a good eye. He was drafted with unimpressive 8 goals in the USHL and scored 30+ next year and is now doing well on the US team.

Closed Thread