HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect thread 5.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2011, 04:21 PM
  #76
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I think that they actually plan on him being the #2 when he gets back.
TSN yesterday discussed the fact that there are teams around the league looking for goalies and Pierre LeBrun noted that some have contacted the Sharks about acquiring Niittymaki once he's healthy.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 12:06 PM
  #77
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,524
vCash: 500
Hey guys, just checking in to see how Petrecki is doing. I grew up with him and actually played against him when we were younger. He is a monster physically and I was hoping he would push for a spot by now. Any word on how he is doing?

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
  #78
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Hey guys, just checking in to see how Petrecki is doing. I grew up with him and actually played against him when we were younger. He is a monster physically and I was hoping he would push for a spot by now. Any word on how he is doing?
Word is that he has made dramatic strides since last season and may challenge for a spot next season.

Sharks are going to have tough choices to make in the coming years with Petrecki, Doherty, Irwin, Acolotse. Sharks should be a defensive force for the forseeable future.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 12:18 PM
  #79
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Hey guys, just checking in to see how Petrecki is doing. I grew up with him and actually played against him when we were younger. He is a monster physically and I was hoping he would push for a spot by now. Any word on how he is doing?
This is from poster 210 who covers the WorSharks:

"He's making the right decisions now, and doing so without any hesitation. And the decisions he's making fit within his abilities, knowing what he can and can not do, and adjusts accordingly.

In order for prospects to make it to the next level they have to have an "I get it" moment where they finally figure out what they're supposed to do and how they're supposed to do it. At some point since the end of last season Petrecki had that moment.

He still needs to ripen a little, but barring any unexpected setbacks he should be ready to go next camp."

stalockrox is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:08 PM
  #80
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Word is that he has made dramatic strides since last season and may challenge for a spot next season.

Sharks are going to have tough choices to make in the coming years with Petrecki, Doherty, Irwin, Acolotse. Sharks should be a defensive force for the forseeable future.
Dont forget Abeltshauser. He's going to be a good one. I see lots of similarities between him and Doherty.

Im just drooling over a Abeltshauser-Doherty pairing.

ThorntonFan19 is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:12 PM
  #81
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
I see lots of similarities between him and Doherty.
Like they both suck. Size is overrated.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:48 PM
  #82
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,466
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Dont forget Abeltshauser. He's going to be a good one. I see lots of similarities between him and Doherty.

Im just drooling over a Abeltshauser-Doherty pairing.
They really don't have a helluva lot of similarities asides from size IMO. Doherty projects to be a stay-at-home guy but Abeltshauser seems to have more offensive talent.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 04:19 PM
  #83
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
They really don't have a helluva lot of similarities asides from size IMO. Doherty projects to be a stay-at-home guy but Abeltshauser seems to have more offensive talent.
Doherty put up great numbers in the OHL, and was just as much of an offensive defenseman as a defensive defenseman at that level. He's focusing on the defensive side of his game now, but i expect the offense to catch up in a couple years. Once he gains confidence in using his shot more the points will come.

I think that their play styles will compliment eachother greatly. Doherty is better defensively, while Abeltshauser is going to be the guy who is more aggressive at generating offense.

ThorntonFan19 is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 04:20 PM
  #84
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Like they both suck. Size is overrated.
I think you'll be surprised

ThorntonFan19 is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 08:56 PM
  #85
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 56,493
vCash: 500
Flipping channels. Caught a bit of BC @ Notre Dame (in new building).

Macleod (#7) with BC is Sharks draftee. Caught a few minutes (repeated @ 7:30 on CBS Sports channel). Missed a hip check, cleared a puck (middle of the 3rd).

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 08:57 PM
  #86
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,064
vCash: 500
Just got back from the BU game vs Vermont. Nieto played great, he had an assist on one of the goals and should have gotten one on Coyle's goal (he was screening the goalie). Nieto has some impressive speed and a great wrist shot, several times he split the d and almost scored. He also hits and plays really well in the corner, definitely not afraid to take a hit or dish one out to make a play and always seems to be in the right places and in front of the net. He and Coyle were like glue, played together at all situations. Its a shame that we didn't hang onto Coyle as they seem to have a lot of chemistry. The most impressive aspect of his game seems to be his hockey IQ, always in the right place, great defensively. He also has a great passing game, aside from the assist which was a great one, he had a few really pretty ones including a cross ice saucer pass that was right on the money. Looks like exactly the kinda player the Sharks need! Will update again whenever I get to a game next.

KirbyDots is offline  
Old
11-19-2011, 09:47 PM
  #87
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 33,699
vCash: 500
3 more points for Chris Crane. I know a lot of attention is being paid to Nieto, but don't sleep on Crane. 15 points in 14 games now at OSU

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such
SpinTheBlackCircle is online now  
Old
11-19-2011, 09:56 PM
  #88
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
3 more points for Chris Crane. I know a lot of attention is being paid to Nieto, but don't sleep on Crane. 15 points in 14 games now at OSU
I'm really impressed. He kinda came out of nowhere! Hope he plays in the AHL next season.

Nieto with another goal tonight. 8 goals 7 assists 15 points in 11 games. He went scoreless in only one game this season, when BU lost 1-7 to UMass.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
11-19-2011, 10:09 PM
  #89
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 24,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I'm really impressed. He kinda came out of nowhere! Hope he plays in the AHL next season.

Nieto with another goal tonight. 8 goals 7 assists 15 points in 11 games. He went scoreless in only one game this season, when BU lost 1-7 to UMass.
Nietoews.

sjshark91 is offline  
Old
11-19-2011, 10:23 PM
  #90
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,919
vCash: 500
(Sorry if it's already been posted)

New HF team prospect rankings are out and we finished ... 30th. I guess they finally got one right.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._fall20112130/

magic school bus is offline  
Old
11-19-2011, 11:09 PM
  #91
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,064
vCash: 500
Nieto had an empty netter tonight!

KirbyDots is offline  
Old
11-20-2011, 06:12 AM
  #92
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
(Sorry if it's already been posted)

New HF team prospect rankings are out and we finished ... 30th. I guess they finally got one right.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._fall20112130/
The only reason San Jose is 30th is because...















....there aren't more teams in the NHL to be behind.

210 is offline  
Old
11-20-2011, 04:36 PM
  #93
Rogie21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Just got back from the BU game vs Vermont. Nieto played great, he had an assist on one of the goals and should have gotten one on Coyle's goal (he was screening the goalie). Nieto has some impressive speed and a great wrist shot, several times he split the d and almost scored. He also hits and plays really well in the corner, definitely not afraid to take a hit or dish one out to make a play and always seems to be in the right places and in front of the net. He and Coyle were like glue, played together at all situations. Its a shame that we didn't hang onto Coyle as they seem to have a lot of chemistry. The most impressive aspect of his game seems to be his hockey IQ, always in the right place, great defensively. He also has a great passing game, aside from the assist which was a great one, he had a few really pretty ones including a cross ice saucer pass that was right on the money. Looks like exactly the kinda player the Sharks need! Will update again whenever I get to a game next.
Video of two recent BU games.
BU 5-BC 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2NI...eature=related

BU 4 Vermont 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=4uKbczoAx-8#!

Nieto was cut from US Jr. National team camp in August. He's certainly earned reconsideration for a shot to play World Juniors.

Rogie21 is offline  
Old
11-20-2011, 10:43 PM
  #94
Sharksfan83
Registered User
 
Sharksfan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
We're 30th so be it.

We could be alot higher if we wanted to be.

Trade Couture for a 1st and a 2nd and a prospect
Trade Pavelski for a 1st and a prospect
Trade Thornton for a 1st a 2nd and a high level prospect
Trade Marleau for a 1st
Trade Boyle for a few Prospects

..See where i'm going? Prospect pool is nice, but we also have Couture, Pavelski, Vlasc, Demers, Burns who are all a youngish core of the team, yea Thornton and Marleau and Boyle are all getting older, but we're not an OLD team.

Sharksfan83 is offline  
Old
11-20-2011, 11:12 PM
  #95
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
The only reason San Jose is 30th is because...















....there aren't more teams in the NHL to be behind.
I know what I said. We deserve to be last ... 30th = last place

magic school bus is offline  
Old
11-21-2011, 12:19 AM
  #96
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,742
vCash: 500
Our prospect pool is ALWAYS deemed terrible, and yet we always develop quality players no one expects to succeed. Look who we have developed in the last 10 years. Clowe, Pavelski, Mitchell, Demers, Braun, Greiss, Murray... All regular NHL players today, all coveted by other teams (to varying degrees). All players most teams would have and did pass on.

When Clowe came into the NHL we expected at best a gritty 3rd liner. Today he's one of the most valuable guys on our team. Pavelski wasn't even slated to have a chance at the NHL.

Pundits underestimate our drafting and development, and that's fine. We are having a 'lull' at the AHL level right now (on forwards anyway) but it's just timing. In a year or two we'll wonder what we were worried about.

Consider this. If the pundits knew how our prospects would turn out, how would they have rated us then?

Just an example: 2007 rankings on HF:

1. Matt Carle, D
2. Devin Setoguchi, RW
3. Steve Bernier, RW
4. Ty Wishart, D
5. Marc-Edouard Vlasic, D
6. Thomas Greiss, G
7. Lukas Kaspar, LW
8. Josh Gorges, D
9. Dimitri Patzold, G
10. Taylor Dakers, G
11. Jamie McGinn, LW
12. Torrey Mitchell, C

13. Joe Pavelski, C
14. Mike Morris, RW
15. Ryane Clowe, LW
16. Dan Spang, D
17. Derek Joslin, D
18. Alex Stalock, G
19. James Delory, D
20. Mike Iggulden, RW

The two best players out of that group were ranked 13th and 15th. Pundits don't know a damn thing about the Sharks.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
11-21-2011, 06:19 AM
  #97
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I know what I said. We deserve to be last ... 30th = last place
No chance you missed the joke, eh?

210 is offline  
Old
11-21-2011, 06:22 AM
  #98
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The two best players out of that group were ranked 13th and 15th. Pundits don't know a damn thing about the Sharks.
Usually that's correct, but a broken clock is right twice a day and they got this one nailed.

(BTW, HF's team rankings are a joke and they're consistently wrong with player rankings...but trust me, SJ prospect pool is terrible right now.)

210 is offline  
Old
11-21-2011, 07:10 AM
  #99
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 33,699
vCash: 500
The prospect pool in the AHL is terrible. The forwards in college are good.

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now  
Old
11-21-2011, 08:58 AM
  #100
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
The prospect pool in the AHL is terrible. The forwards in college are good.
Exactly. Like I said, bad timing this season for Worcester. The good forwards are not AHL ready yet, and the NHL ready ones are in the NHL now. Just a lull.

hockeyball is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.