HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Prospect thread 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2011, 04:21 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I think that they actually plan on him being the #2 when he gets back.
TSN yesterday discussed the fact that there are teams around the league looking for goalies and Pierre LeBrun noted that some have contacted the Sharks about acquiring Niittymaki once he's healthy.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-18-2011, 12:06 PM
NYR Viper

Hey guys, just checking in to see how Petrecki is doing. I grew up with him and actually played against him when we were younger. He is a monster physically and I was hoping he would push for a spot by now. Any word on how he is doing?

Old
11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Hey guys, just checking in to see how Petrecki is doing. I grew up with him and actually played against him when we were younger. He is a monster physically and I was hoping he would push for a spot by now. Any word on how he is doing?
Word is that he has made dramatic strides since last season and may challenge for a spot next season.

Sharks are going to have tough choices to make in the coming years with Petrecki, Doherty, Irwin, Acolotse. Sharks should be a defensive force for the forseeable future.

Old
11-18-2011, 12:18 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
This is from poster 210 who covers the WorSharks:

"He's making the right decisions now, and doing so without any hesitation. And the decisions he's making fit within his abilities, knowing what he can and can not do, and adjusts accordingly.

In order for prospects to make it to the next level they have to have an "I get it" moment where they finally figure out what they're supposed to do and how they're supposed to do it. At some point since the end of last season Petrecki had that moment.

He still needs to ripen a little, but barring any unexpected setbacks he should be ready to go next camp."

Old
11-18-2011, 03:08 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Word is that he has made dramatic strides since last season and may challenge for a spot next season.

Sharks are going to have tough choices to make in the coming years with Petrecki, Doherty, Irwin, Acolotse. Sharks should be a defensive force for the forseeable future.
Dont forget Abeltshauser. He's going to be a good one. I see lots of similarities between him and Doherty.

Im just drooling over a Abeltshauser-Doherty pairing.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
I see lots of similarities between him and Doherty.
Like they both suck. Size is overrated.

Old
11-18-2011, 03:48 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Dont forget Abeltshauser. He's going to be a good one. I see lots of similarities between him and Doherty.

Im just drooling over a Abeltshauser-Doherty pairing.
They really don't have a helluva lot of similarities asides from size IMO. Doherty projects to be a stay-at-home guy but Abeltshauser seems to have more offensive talent.

Old
11-18-2011, 04:19 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
They really don't have a helluva lot of similarities asides from size IMO. Doherty projects to be a stay-at-home guy but Abeltshauser seems to have more offensive talent.
Doherty put up great numbers in the OHL, and was just as much of an offensive defenseman as a defensive defenseman at that level. He's focusing on the defensive side of his game now, but i expect the offense to catch up in a couple years. Once he gains confidence in using his shot more the points will come.

I think that their play styles will compliment eachother greatly. Doherty is better defensively, while Abeltshauser is going to be the guy who is more aggressive at generating offense.

Old
11-18-2011, 04:20 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Like they both suck. Size is overrated.
I think you'll be surprised

Old
11-18-2011, 08:56 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Flipping channels. Caught a bit of BC @ Notre Dame (in new building).

Macleod (#7) with BC is Sharks draftee. Caught a few minutes (repeated @ 7:30 on CBS Sports channel). Missed a hip check, cleared a puck (middle of the 3rd).

Old
11-18-2011, 08:57 PM
KirbyDots

Just got back from the BU game vs Vermont. Nieto played great, he had an assist on one of the goals and should have gotten one on Coyle's goal (he was screening the goalie). Nieto has some impressive speed and a great wrist shot, several times he split the d and almost scored. He also hits and plays really well in the corner, definitely not afraid to take a hit or dish one out to make a play and always seems to be in the right places and in front of the net. He and Coyle were like glue, played together at all situations. Its a shame that we didn't hang onto Coyle as they seem to have a lot of chemistry. The most impressive aspect of his game seems to be his hockey IQ, always in the right place, great defensively. He also has a great passing game, aside from the assist which was a great one, he had a few really pretty ones including a cross ice saucer pass that was right on the money. Looks like exactly the kinda player the Sharks need! Will update again whenever I get to a game next.

Old
11-19-2011, 09:47 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

3 more points for Chris Crane. I know a lot of attention is being paid to Nieto, but don't sleep on Crane. 15 points in 14 games now at OSU

11-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
3 more points for Chris Crane. I know a lot of attention is being paid to Nieto, but don't sleep on Crane. 15 points in 14 games now at OSU
I'm really impressed. He kinda came out of nowhere! Hope he plays in the AHL next season.

Nieto with another goal tonight. 8 goals 7 assists 15 points in 11 games. He went scoreless in only one game this season, when BU lost 1-7 to UMass.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:09 PM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I'm really impressed. He kinda came out of nowhere! Hope he plays in the AHL next season.

Nieto with another goal tonight. 8 goals 7 assists 15 points in 11 games. He went scoreless in only one game this season, when BU lost 1-7 to UMass.
Nietoews.

Old
11-19-2011, 10:23 PM
magic school bus

(Sorry if it's already been posted)

New HF team prospect rankings are out and we finished ... 30th. I guess they finally got one right.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._fall20112130/

Old
11-19-2011, 11:09 PM
KirbyDots

Nieto had an empty netter tonight!

Old
11-20-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
(Sorry if it's already been posted)

New HF team prospect rankings are out and we finished ... 30th. I guess they finally got one right.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._fall20112130/
The only reason San Jose is 30th is because...

....there aren't more teams in the NHL to be behind.

Old
11-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Rogie21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Just got back from the BU game vs Vermont. Nieto played great, he had an assist on one of the goals and should have gotten one on Coyle's goal (he was screening the goalie). Nieto has some impressive speed and a great wrist shot, several times he split the d and almost scored. He also hits and plays really well in the corner, definitely not afraid to take a hit or dish one out to make a play and always seems to be in the right places and in front of the net. He and Coyle were like glue, played together at all situations. Its a shame that we didn't hang onto Coyle as they seem to have a lot of chemistry. The most impressive aspect of his game seems to be his hockey IQ, always in the right place, great defensively. He also has a great passing game, aside from the assist which was a great one, he had a few really pretty ones including a cross ice saucer pass that was right on the money. Looks like exactly the kinda player the Sharks need! Will update again whenever I get to a game next.
Video of two recent BU games.
BU 5-BC 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2NI...eature=related

BU 4 Vermont 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=4uKbczoAx-8#!

Nieto was cut from US Jr. National team camp in August. He's certainly earned reconsideration for a shot to play World Juniors.

Old
11-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Sharksfan83

We're 30th so be it.

We could be alot higher if we wanted to be.

Trade Couture for a 1st and a 2nd and a prospect
Trade Pavelski for a 1st and a prospect
Trade Thornton for a 1st a 2nd and a high level prospect
Trade Marleau for a 1st
Trade Boyle for a few Prospects

..See where i'm going? Prospect pool is nice, but we also have Couture, Pavelski, Vlasc, Demers, Burns who are all a youngish core of the team, yea Thornton and Marleau and Boyle are all getting older, but we're not an OLD team.

Old
11-20-2011, 11:12 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
The only reason San Jose is 30th is because...

....there aren't more teams in the NHL to be behind.
I know what I said. We deserve to be last ... 30th = last place

Old
11-21-2011, 12:19 AM
hockeyball

Our prospect pool is ALWAYS deemed terrible, and yet we always develop quality players no one expects to succeed. Look who we have developed in the last 10 years. Clowe, Pavelski, Mitchell, Demers, Braun, Greiss, Murray... All regular NHL players today, all coveted by other teams (to varying degrees). All players most teams would have and did pass on.

When Clowe came into the NHL we expected at best a gritty 3rd liner. Today he's one of the most valuable guys on our team. Pavelski wasn't even slated to have a chance at the NHL.

Pundits underestimate our drafting and development, and that's fine. We are having a 'lull' at the AHL level right now (on forwards anyway) but it's just timing. In a year or two we'll wonder what we were worried about.

Consider this. If the pundits knew how our prospects would turn out, how would they have rated us then?

Just an example: 2007 rankings on HF:

1. Matt Carle, D
2. Devin Setoguchi, RW
3. Steve Bernier, RW
4. Ty Wishart, D
5. Marc-Edouard Vlasic, D
6. Thomas Greiss, G
7. Lukas Kaspar, LW
8. Josh Gorges, D
9. Dimitri Patzold, G
10. Taylor Dakers, G
11. Jamie McGinn, LW
12. Torrey Mitchell, C

13. Joe Pavelski, C
14. Mike Morris, RW
15. Ryane Clowe, LW
16. Dan Spang, D
17. Derek Joslin, D
18. Alex Stalock, G
19. James Delory, D
20. Mike Iggulden, RW

The two best players out of that group were ranked 13th and 15th. Pundits don't know a damn thing about the Sharks.

Old
11-21-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I know what I said. We deserve to be last ... 30th = last place
No chance you missed the joke, eh?

Old
11-21-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The two best players out of that group were ranked 13th and 15th. Pundits don't know a damn thing about the Sharks.
Usually that's correct, but a broken clock is right twice a day and they got this one nailed.

(BTW, HF's team rankings are a joke and they're consistently wrong with player rankings...but trust me, SJ prospect pool is terrible right now.)

Old
11-21-2011, 07:10 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

The prospect pool in the AHL is terrible. The forwards in college are good.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:58 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
The prospect pool in the AHL is terrible. The forwards in college are good.
Exactly. Like I said, bad timing this season for Worcester. The good forwards are not AHL ready yet, and the NHL ready ones are in the NHL now. Just a lull.

Closed Thread