HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the Bleeding end? Montreal Canadiens vs Florida Panthers 10/24/11 7:30pm EST-RDS

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2011, 01:46 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You obviously forgot the sarcasm smiley.
No I didn't. Without the puck on his stick, he reminds me of Bergeron at times..not all the time..

Old
10-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Souvenirs

I haven't watched a full game since Winnipeg, and we lost them all after that.

I won't watch tonight either, maybe the Habs will finally surprise me with a win? J

Habs win 2-1

some dumbasses start a Price vs Budaj thread

Old
10-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
And I ever said as much?

He actually put up decent numbers with the Wild last season and he had some terrific seasons with you guys (which is why I figure you guys would be a tad more grateful to him).
Telling a poster not to use a derogatory nickname for a historically poor goalie because he's currently putting up average numbers would suggest that you don't think that name fits.

And Jose's history with Montreal is a long one, both while he was here and after he left. There's enough there since his miracle season way back in 02 (most recently his mocking of Plekanec only to **** the bed in the playoffs) for Habs fans to not to think too highly of him. I don't hold any ill will towards him, but I don't think he's a good goalie either. Especially when it counts the most.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
No I didn't. Without the puck on his stick, he reminds me of Bergeron at times..not all the time..
You either cant evaluate a player properly, or havent watched MAB all that much...you choose.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:18 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 311
First post updated

Old
10-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
A friend of mine and I (eaglesmaster on this board) were joking about the stupidities martin would do in OT of the last game before it started. I predicted he wouldn't play eller at all. I was surprised to see eller in there for a defensive zone faceoff, I was stoked! Eller wins the faceoff and.... goes straight to the bench?
I think it all comes down to one particular, philosophical trait Martin refuses to sway from, and that's the fact that he puts most of his energy into "not losing" instead of into "winning". They may sound similar, but when push comes to shove they're very different. He takes Eller off the ice probably because he's worried Eller will do something inexperienced that will cost them the game. This is the philosophy of a coach that is scared of losing. This is the philosophy of a lame-duck coach in my opinion...

Old
10-24-2011, 02:33 PM
CrazyShea

What time does the doors of the Bell Centre open? Pretty eager to get down there

Old
10-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
I think it all comes down to one particular, philosophical trait Martin refuses to sway from, and that's the fact that he puts most of his energy into "not losing" instead of into "winning". They may sound similar, but when push comes to shove they're very different. He takes Eller off the ice probably because he's worried Eller will do something inexperienced that will cost them the game. This is the philosophy of a coach that is scared of losing. This is the philosophy of a lame-duck coach in my opinion...
Eller was there to take the faceoff until Cole can jump on the ice, which he did when they indeed left the zone.

Cole was on the ice at the end of the previous shift for a short (8s) amount of time, but with Gionta probably "scheduled" on the next one, he needed someone to win the defensive zone faceoff against Grabovski (+Kessel...)

Thats that simple. But its easier to call him a "lame-duck coach".

(Im sure that if Cole did not played in the OT, some here would have blamed the coach for that, too.)

Old
10-24-2011, 02:38 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You either cant evaluate a player properly, or havent watched MAB all that much...you choose.
All I am saying is that when he gets caught out of position, Diaz sometimes has issues making up for it. He's small, easy to knock off the puck and needs to work on his game in front of the net.

I'm not saying he won't be good. I love his play with the puck, and it is a far cry from how pitiful MAB's game is with the puck. Just saying he needs to get stronger and to continue gaining more experience.

Teams aren't exactly afraid to go to the net against Diaz.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:39 PM
One Trick Pony

Nokia will score tonight.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Eller was there to take the faceoff until Cole can jump on the ice, which he did when they indeed left the zone.

Cole was on the ice at the end of the previous shift for a short (8s) amount of time, but with Gionta probably "scheduled" on the next one, he needed someone to win the defensive zone faceoff against Grabovski (+Kessel...)

Thats that simple. But its easier to call him a "lame-duck coach".

(Im sure that if Cole did not played in the OT, some here would have blamed the coach for that, too.)
I have a laundry list of reasons why i think Martin is a lame-duck coach. this was just an example.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
I'm pretty sure we'll see that tonight too. I hope not, but my guess would be that we'll see the Habs' play a road type game, where they look to keep it close and low scoring. On paper in terms of skill Habs' have a clear edge, and JM should turn them loose tonight and not only try to win, but win BIG and get some confidence. Last season we saw the Habs' lose games to teams they should beat all too often by trying not to lose, I'm hoping they learned from that last season.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:50 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote from JM talking about Steckel pushing around Price last game:

"Well, you have to protect your goalie. It’s a little tough for me to ask Diaz to pick up Steckel and throw him around (he's chuckling while saying this). You know... Sometimes you gotta deal... When you look at our defence right now, we don't really have a lot of BIG men in there, you know?"

Makes sense. I guess that's why Emelin is sitting in the press box tonight.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post

"Well, you have to protect your goalie. Itís a little tough for me to ask Diaz to pick up Steckel and throw him around (he's chuckling while saying this). You know... Sometimes you gotta deal... When you look at our defence right now, we don't really have a lot of BIG men in there, you know?"

I may have missed it, but I honestly don't remember Emelin getting in anyone's face around the net after whistles. Do you have examples of him doing this specifically? Like I said I might have just not noticed. But I usually look out for this type of thing.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Quote:

"Well, you have to protect your goalie. Itís a little tough for me to ask Diaz to pick up Steckel and throw him around (he's chuckling while saying this). You know... Sometimes you gotta deal... When you look at our defence right now, we don't really have a lot of BIG men in there, you know?"

and this is why I still feel that we should have kept Mara....at least he was able to protect the crease

Old
10-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
and this is why I still feel that we should have kept Mara....at least he was able to protect the crease
Mara, Wiz, Hammer....all of them played with an edge around the crease.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:57 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Spacek in and Emelin out?

Soft team is softer.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:57 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I may have missed it, but I honestly don't remember Emelin getting in anyone's face around the net after whistles. Do you have examples of him doing this specifically? Like I said I might have just not noticed. But I usually look out for this type of thing.
If Martin asks him to do it, he'll do it. His excuse of "It's hard for me to ask Diaz to pick up Steckel and throw him around" and that "we don't really have a lot of BIG men in there" is bull****.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
If Martin asks him to do it, he'll do it. His excuse of "It's hard for me to ask Diaz to pick up Steckel and throw him around" and that "we don't really have a lot of BIG men in there" is bull****.
So none. That's what I thought. Thanks.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:03 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
If all you're going to do is reply with a useless smart ass comment, then don't even bother replying.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:06 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Weber responded, and Pearn threw him under the bus calling his penalty undisciplined.

I'm sorry but allowing people to crash your net is pathetic, if they don't have the means to use brute physical strength and have to use their sticks (and end up getting penalties) then so be it. They'll think twice after a few slashes to the ankles/knees to their star players.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
If all you're going to do is reply with a useless smart ass comment, then don't even bother replying.
Could've said the same thing. You never answered my question.

Emelin played during the entire losing streak, our goalie's been run countless times and I never saw Emelin get in anyone's face yet every second post in here is "Emelin's out we're soft now". Fire Martin!!!!

I guess based on what you said Martin needs to tell a 25 year old professional hockey player (and supposed rugged defenseman) to defend his goalie. I learned that in Peewee myself.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Weber responded, and Pearn threw him under the bus calling his penalty undisciplined.

I'm sorry but allowing people to crash your net is pathetic, if they don't have the means to use brute physical strength and have to use their sticks (and end up getting penalties) then so be it. They'll think twice after a few slashes to the ankles/knees to their star players.
Martin JUST said he'd love to have someone there to defend the crease. I guarantee you they are not telling players not to defend their goaltender. That is complete nonsense and you know it.

And agreed 100% with the second part. Defend your goalie at all costs.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:09 PM
phoque taupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
[...]if they don't have the means to use brute physical strength and have to use their sticks (and end up getting penalties) then so be it. They'll think twice after a few slashes to the ankles/knees to their star players.
Exactly my thoughts
We are losing anyway :p

Old
10-24-2011, 03:12 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Martin JUST said he'd love to have someone there to defend the crease. I guarantee you they are not telling players not to defend their goaltender. That is complete nonsense and you know it.
Yet when they do and they get a penalty for defending their goalie they get chastised for it.

Closed Thread