HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Stamkos Hit 50 Goals Again?

Old
07-31-2016, 05:18 PM
Master P

vCash: 500
Can Stamkos Hit 50 Goals Again?

I was just thinking to myself that with the way Drouin played in the playoffs and the contract shenanigans finally over with Stammer, is there a realistic possibility that he can hit that 50 goal mark again?

I personally feel like he can and will. With a new an improved Drouin feeding him passes ( like what was originally planed), I don't see why he can't. I also feel that the abysmal power play we had last year played a huge role in his numbers dropping a bit. Not that 36 goals is bad mind you. Am I being to unrealistic or do you think there is a shot we see pre-broken leg Stammer again.

What are your thoughts?

Master P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2016, 05:38 PM
tjs

For what we're paying him he better.

tjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2016, 05:56 PM
The Green Unit
Lost Cosmonaut

I don't really care about how many goals he'll score because it's not going to be an issue with him no matter what, he's an automatic 30 goals scorer at minimum. The main problem with Stamkos is all the rest, he's taking poor decision with the puck and he's a very average playmaker for a center. In fact the lesser Stamkos touches the puck the better, so hopefully Drouin will be glued to him all season long because the kid is really good at moving the puck and create space for his teammates, so maybe yes Stamkos can score 50 again if Cooper makes Jo his permanent linemate.

The Green Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2016, 05:58 PM
Thunder Buddy

Meh don't care. Rather he becomes a better all around player and not just an elite sniper. Seeing him on the PK certainly scored points in that aspect.

Thunder Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2016, 06:11 PM
tjs

The big question is to what extent will the efforts to get something more out of Stamkos limit what Drouin is capable of. Will basically being turned into Stammer's personal delivery boy limit Drouin's creativity and the development of his own goal scoring?

Old
07-31-2016, 07:19 PM
DFC

I doubt Stamkos ever scores 50 again. He has it in him, even if there is some regression going on, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If he hovers around 70 points and continues to be a pretty strong penalty killer, I'll be happy with that at 8.5.

DFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2016, 07:22 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs View Post
The big question is to what extent will the efforts to get something more out of Stamkos limit what Drouin is capable of. Will basically being turned into Stammer's personal delivery boy limit Drouin's creativity and the development of his own goal scoring?
Cooper is all about Drouin shooting the puck. I really believe that his reluctance to shoot in his rookie year led to his limited role as much as any defensive deficiencies. When Drouin was shooting the puck, he usually got playing time.

And the bigger threat Drouin is to shoot, the bigger the threat Stamkos will be.

He was hitting the post a lot in the playoffs. I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of his goal-scoring. He has a wrist shot that's really well disguised, and he tends to get it through traffic.

DFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2016, 07:23 PM
Hoek
ビリビリ

He can if our power play stops blowing chunks and if he finds chemistry with Drouin.

I agree that isn't the biggest concern though. Would be nice if he turned into a better faceoff guy for instance. 40 goals is plenty enough.

Hoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2016, 08:20 PM
CupsOverCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Buddy View Post
Meh don't care. Rather he becomes a better all around player and not just an elite sniper. Seeing him on the PK certainly scored points in that aspect.
This but we did pay him to be a goal scorer. Hopefully with Drouin feeding him he can get back to 40-50 goals again.

CupsOverCash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2016, 10:21 PM
Todd1a

Maybe if drouin becomes Marty St. Louis 2.0 for him

Todd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2016, 01:33 AM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

When he scored 60, he did it with just 12 PPG. On the other hand, he scored 24 PPG the year he ended up with 51. He's capable for scoring 70, so yes I think he will hit 50 again, he's only 26 years old.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2016, 01:35 AM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

Also, he's part cyborg now with that titanium leg. I predict at least 80 goals next season.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2016, 01:49 AM
StoneColdStevYzerman
Yzerman 3:16

vCash: 400
How do we get him and Kucherov throwing 300 on net lol?

StoneColdStevYzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2016, 08:28 AM
TheDaysOf 04

I'm not sure about 50, but maybe in the 40-50 range.

Old
08-01-2016, 09:25 AM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

i would bet on more than 40...but if somehow there's two 40+ scorers than this is a win...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2016, 12:14 PM
TampaJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
Cooper is all about Drouin shooting the puck. I really believe that his reluctance to shoot in his rookie year led to his limited role as much as any defensive deficiencies. When Drouin was shooting the puck, he usually got playing time.

And the bigger threat Drouin is to shoot, the bigger the threat Stamkos will be.

He was hitting the post a lot in the playoffs. I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of his goal-scoring. He has a wrist shot that's really well disguised, and he tends to get it through traffic.
Yes, this is the key. MSL created space for Stamkos because he was a goal-scoring threat. Drouin canít just defer and take on a feeder role. If he stays off wing, Palat could play on Stamkosí LW. That could be a recipe for 50 goals.

TampaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2016, 01:52 PM
StarLightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaJay View Post
Yes, this is the key. MSL created space for Stamkos because he was a goal-scoring threat. Drouin canít just defer and take on a feeder role. If he stays off wing, Palat could play on Stamkosí LW. That could be a recipe for 50 goals.
Agree with this. MSL being a goal scoring threat opened up his playmaking even more and gave Stamkos more room. Hoping we can see the same with Drouin. If we do, I think Stammer can hit 50 again.

StarLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2016, 04:30 PM
berlin
wait...... what?

A few years ago i never thought Ovi would again, so yeah why not Stamkos.

berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2016, 11:17 PM
MattM92

vCash: 50
CAN he score 50? Absolutely. There are a few players in the league that CAN score 50. Will he? If he gets back to his simple game of 'crash the net, shoot the puck, score the goal' and if he gels really well with Drouin, then yes. He's a lock for 30 goals, so having a good year with an elite playmaker can certainly put him back at 50.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2016, 11:42 PM
garmonbozia

I definitely think he can.
I'm far less certain that he will.
Just not sure he'll shoot enough anymore.
Doesn't drive the net since the leg break.
Tries to play more responsibly since being made Captain.
He feels more is expected of him than just scoring.

He'll still get his goals. 50 will not be out of reach. Just won't be a priority unless lots of other scoring on the team dries up or gets injured.

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2016, 07:47 AM
tjs

The one thing nobody's mentioned is that we still don't know how much the surgery to relive his clotting issue will affect his game. Everybody talks about "post leg break" Stamkos; well we've seen only one game of "post shoulder/collar bone surgery" Stamkos and he didn't exactly do a whole lot in that game (not that he should have been expected to - I'm just saying he didn't do anything that would reassure us of his abilities going forward.) We don't even know if he's still the 30 goal scorer that he's been the last couple of years.

Old
08-02-2016, 08:08 AM
KOOOCH

Stamkos had a down year with a revolving door of linemates that couldn't feed him the puck. Put him on a line with Palat and Drouin and I think he'll return to his old self.

KOOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2016, 04:27 PM
The Gongshow
Unfinished Business

I think he'll have a big season this year. He's resigned and finally healthy again, he'll most likely have solid/consistent line mates this year as well so he can actually build some chemistry. He has to shoot the puck more. He used to shoot from everywhere now he passes too much. Hoping that if he's with Drouin he'll shoot more after receiving passes from Drouin

The Gongshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2016, 04:44 PM
PaulGG

I think he can but we are a better team without a player who is out there only to score and player who is out there to pass to the scorer.

PaulGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Yzerplan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Unit View Post
I don't really care about how many goals he'll score because it's not going to be an issue with him no matter what, he's an automatic 30 goals scorer at minimum. The main problem with Stamkos is all the rest, he's taking poor decision with the puck and he's a very average playmaker for a center. In fact the lesser Stamkos touches the puck the better, so hopefully Drouin will be glued to him all season long because the kid is really good at moving the puck and create space for his teammates, so maybe yes Stamkos can score 50 again if Cooper makes Jo his permanent linemate.
This so so much.

Yzerplan89 is offline   Reply With Quote