Rookie Report: John Gaudreau

Old
10-24-2011, 05:31 AM
tfong

vCash: 500
Rookie Report: John Gaudreau

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home

Quote:
CALGARY, AB -- If John Gaudreau's early-season performance with Boston College is any indication, he may have been the steal of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
In four games, Gaudreau has two goals and six points. He is second in team scoring and is just one point behind Boston's leader and fellow Flames prospect, Bill Arnold. He isn't showing any signs of slowing down either, something that has greatly pleased the Flames brass.

He was selected in the fourth round, 104th overall, this summer and there was whispers that he is one of the - if not the - most skilled players in the en. The only thing scaring teams away from drafting him earlier was his size. Standing 5-foot-6 and weighing 141 lbs, Gaudreau isn't exactly the picture of intimidation. His baby-faced mug doesn't help either.

That being said, he excelled at the USHL level with the Dubuque Fighting Saints and was named USHL's rookie of the year last season. He managed 36 goals and 72 points in 60 games during the 2010-11 campaign and was one of only two members of his team to hit the 60-point plateau.

The Fighting Saints went on to capture the Clark Cup last season with Gaudreau adding five goals and 11 points in the 11 postseason games Dubuque played.

Gaudreau could have continued his career with the Fighting Saints but opted to head down the NCAA path instead.

Originally, he had committed to playing for the Northeastern University Huskies but after former head coach Greg Cronin resigned to take a position with the Toronto Maple Leafs, the New Jersey native was released from that commitment.

Several schools were interested in Gaudreau's services but in the end, he opted to play for Boston College. The Eagles have been a powerhouse in the NCAA over the past decade, picking up three championships since 2001, with their most recent victory coming in 2010.

Boston is off to a great start this season, posting a 3-1-0 record. They've averaged 3.92 goals-per-game and have only allowed an average of 2.25 goals-per-game.

Some worried the diminutive forward wouldn't be able to cope with the physical rigors of playing with men but that hasn't been the case.

His speed and agility have been his greatest asset when it comes to shaking off checks from larger players. He's able to dodge oncoming checks without losing possession of the puck thanks to the fact the opposition rarely can keep up with him.

Another major asset is his stickhandling skills. He handles the puck better than the vast majority of his opponent, weaving through the offensive zone with a prowess rarely seen in someone his age.

Gaudreau was a standout at the Flames development camp this summer, earning rave reviews from head coach Brent Sutter.

"Anybody you’ve talked to about him, the bigger the game, the tougher the game, the better he played.

"That’s a very intriguing sign. They say he’s got great bite to his game. You don’t measure the heart of a player by how big he is."

Follow Torie Peterson on Twitter | @ToriePeterson
Gaudreau looking good sofar! The last Hobey Baker candidate we had was Leopold. Coincidentally, Kobasew also played for Boston and was MVP for their tourny.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home

Gaudreau looking good sofar! The last Hobey Baker candidate we had was Leopold. Coincidentally, Kobasew also played for Boston and was MVP for their tourny.
since the piece left out his numbers thus far. after 6 games Gaudreau has 3 goals and 4 assists. and the team is 5-1 now and I believe is ranked #1 in the country

also should be recognized that Bill Arnold is also with BC and has 5 goals and 5 assists to lead the team in goals, assists (tied) and points.

in comparison Chris Kreider a former 1st rounder and top ranked prospect for the Rangers is also on the team and has 8 points. and from talking to a BC fan in the NCAA section they have both looked better than Kreider

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:02 AM
slappipappi

A 5' 6" player will have to be more skilled than pretty much everyone else to make the NHL, ala Theron Fleury.

Nice start, but he's likely still a long shot to excel in the NHL, thougfh the "new" NHL increases the chances for small players.

But I would rather these type of picks than the safe 4th liner types we'd been getting.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
I'm really excited about Gaudreau, but he is going to need to put on some muscle if he is going to make the NHL. But it seems like there is something about this kid, like that he thrives under adversity. I think he'll make it one day, hopefully he turns out to be that gem.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 02:57 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Bumped this thread to talk about gaudreau, seems very promising based on feasters word
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635074

"I get phone calls from other GM’s about Johnny Gaudreau," Feaster told me. "There are teams that, when we go to other buildings they kick themselves, ‘How did you know you had to do it in the fourth round? Jeez that Gaudreau is a good player’. You know, Johnny Gaudreau, that’s an organizational asset."

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:03 PM
BVicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Bumped this thread to talk about gaudreau, seems very promising based on feasters word
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635074

"I get phone calls from other GM’s about Johnny Gaudreau," Feaster told me. "There are teams that, when we go to other buildings they kick themselves, ‘How did you know you had to do it in the fourth round? Jeez that Gaudreau is a good player’. You know, Johnny Gaudreau, that’s an organizational asset."
Excellent, now package him up with JBo and a pick for Duschene

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:30 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Eeek! 140 lbs? I've taken ***** that weight more than that.

I'm glad we've gotten ourselves a skilled player, but Johnny boy needs to gain some weight before he's anywhere near the NHL.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Eeek! 140 lbs? I've taken ***** that weight more than that.

I'm glad we've gotten ourselves a skilled player, but Johnny boy needs to gain some weight before he's anywhere near the NHL.
Coulda sworn he weighed in at more than that at the combine last year? Thought he was 155 or so.

Regardless. He needs to bulk up or he will get pushed around a lot.

Good news though, very excited we drafted him.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Martin St. Louis Part Dos.

Seto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 03:41 PM
DBU
Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Martin St. Louis Part Dos.
Let's hope only half of that is true...

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Noori

He's listed at 150 one various sites.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Medium Rare*

5'7 150 on the Boston College website

Old
06-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Wikipedia lists him as a hefty 151 lbs.

He's also been invited to USA Hockey's National Junior Evaluation Camp.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635011

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 05:42 PM
tfong

Very happy with the progression of Gaudreau sofar, looking like a big gem.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 06:56 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Mass is very easy to add compared to skill. He has the skill of a first round prospect it may take him a few more years than a normal rookie but I like this pick more than the Sven pick (I love that one)

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Xelstyle

As much as it's exciting, I'll get excited when he gets closer to actually playing some games for us.
In other words, I'll believe it when I see it.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 07:53 PM
BVicious

Package him and trade him. Now.

Old
06-19-2012, 08:38 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Why? Why not keep him and see if we end up with a talented prospect?
Can't really afford to give up prospects with good potential.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 08:40 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Why he has at most a 2nd pick value it would be stupid when he could be a 2nd line player in a few years.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
5'7 150 on the Boston College website
If he can grow another inch, I'll be extremely happy. If he could be a 'solid' 5'8 player that is fast as hell with a ton of skill, there's no reason why he can't be an NHL player.

Old
06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Volica

I'd honestly, rather have skill than size.
And John Gaudreau has skill. He is tiny, you watch him play, and he is tiny out there. But I'd be damned if he isn't one of the most dangerous players on the ice every time he hits it. Size helps, of course, but... to be honest, put him on a line with some big boys and he'll be fine. As long as he doesn't make the Flames alongside Granlund, and they put a line of Cammi/Gaudreau/Granlund aka the smurf line 2.0, he'll be fine.

As Feaster recently said in an interview, GM's all over the NHL kick the tires of the Flames about Gaudreau. Which says a lot.

Volica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
If he can grow another inch, I'll be extremely happy. If he could be a 'solid' 5'8 player that is fast as hell with a ton of skill, there's no reason why he can't be an NHL player.
I don't think BC has updated since the start of the season, I remember him saying in an interview at one time he was 5'8 now.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:03 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
If his value is as high as Feaster states (not likely) then I would trade him in a package for a young top 6 centre upgrade or young top 4 defender upgrade.

Otherwise, it's worth more to hold onto him.

The Gnome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:38 AM
BVicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
I'd honestly, rather have skill than size.
And John Gaudreau has skill. He is tiny, you watch him play, and he is tiny out there. But I'd be damned if he isn't one of the most dangerous players on the ice every time he hits it. Size helps, of course, but... to be honest, put him on a line with some big boys and he'll be fine. As long as he doesn't make the Flames alongside Granlund, and they put a line of Cammi/Gaudreau/Granlund aka the smurf line 2.0, he'll be fine.

As Feaster recently said in an interview, GM's all over the NHL kick the tires of the Flames about Gaudreau. Which says a lot.
That's why I mean, if teams are interested, he best be listening. You have to realistically think about what we consider good prospects and what other teams consider good prospects.

Are the flames gonna dress all these prospects in the next 5 years? I hope not. I hope they keep Baertschi, Brodie, and maybe a few more, but Calgary never has good positioning at the draft to hit a home run. This team has been built since the 90's through trades. All our draft picks either suck or want to leave.

Today we are in the same boat. If you can trade 1 or 2 prospects, with a JBo or a Stajan or even a Cammy, for that piece you can build around.

Who are we building around now? Baertschi? Gio? No one yet. But we need the future franchise player. And Calgary needs that player to be a Centerman.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Suddenly our prospect pool is looking much better. Let's hope Granlund continues his development as well. Baertschi, Gaudreau, Granlund, Reinhart and Ferland is as good of a forward prospect pool as any group the Flames have had in quite some time. And its only going to get better this weekend.