HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Joshua Ho-Sang - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2014, 28th overall, NY Islanders)

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2012, 10:19 AM
shello
@WShello9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
So he can play center and RW? or is he being converted to the center?
He played centre in minor midget but he's been used on the wing mostly this season besides that one game. Looks like he can be used as both.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:20 AM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 535
I'll start hyping this kid up when I see him actually use his teammates instead of being a cocky puck hog who shies away from the game as soon as he gets hit.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
He played centre in minor midget but he's been used on the wing mostly this season besides that one game. Looks like he can be used as both.
Thanks for the quick response! Well should be interesting to see how he progress as the season goes on.

10-13-2012, 10:26 AM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I'll start hyping this kid up when I see him actually use his teammates instead of being a cocky puck hog who shies away from the game as soon as he gets hit.
Ive found the using not his teammates last year was overblown a bit, not disagreeing with you he did hog the puck, but I think it's more just being bored. Agree with shying away when he gets hit though, I havent seen it this season much if at all but last year for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Thanks for the quick response! Well should be interesting to see how he progress as the season goes on.
No problem! Should be fun, with his first actual goal out of the way I think it's only a matter of time before he breaks out.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:01 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
The latter is pretty normal for a player transitioning into the OHL. I have not noticed the former...last yr w/ the marlies maybe...but not this year.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
The latter is pretty normal for a player transitioning into the OHL. I have not noticed the former...last yr w/ the marlies maybe...but not this year.
I think you are right...

My take on it is: it's nice to see young players have a maturity level that is well beyond their years (McDavid), but at the same time I'm not going to be overly critical of any 16 year old for behaving like a 16 year...with time comes maturity... He's got exceptional skills with great potential...he'll learn to adapt..

Old
10-13-2012, 08:22 PM
BigWilly

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Yawn, never heard this before, everybody's a hater. I guess with Tavares, Seguin, Hall who are all apparently "cocky ****** " every single player who dominated MM and junior are goofs.
I'll give you this, I heard Seguin was a real Dick at 16 as well.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:38 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I'm his age and know kids who played on his Marlies AAA team, they say the guy is a real *****. Thinks he's the second coming of Gretzky. I honestly don't think he get's drafted higher than 5th because of his lack of ethic and character issues that will be exposed in time.
Keep in mind that he was also getting a lot of media attention, too - and I think at that age, it would be easy to let that sort attention go to your head. Here's an article from this time last year from the TOronto Star gushing about him and calling him the "elite of the elite" http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...e-of-the-elite

I also heard negative stories about him...but wouldn't write him off or say he necessarily has deep rooted character problems. If you still hear the same stories 18 months from now then maybe be worried - but I'm guessing he mellows a bit (arrogance-wise).

It was probably a bit of a burn going from the one getting all the attention to the one watching McDavid get all the attention.

Quote:
Same w/ Hall. I don't really remember any bad stories about Tavares or Stamkos...but I'm sure there are people who hated them

Old
10-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Larry Hoover

Quote:
Yep, same. #15KillsDraftWeek & gloated about it

As for Tavares? LOL. The opposite of cocky

Old
10-13-2012, 10:05 PM
JetsHomer

I think most really talented young players were probably pretty cocky. It's just apart of hockey culture. Doesn't mean he won't be a professional when he's drafted. Teenagers are dumb

Old
10-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

this dude it the next Nazem Kadri in that he looks so flashy, but his cute moves will probably work at this level and this level only

on top of the overly flashy moves he looks like a real cocky *******, not that most juniors players arent

Last edited by Pay Carl: 10-13-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old
10-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Hutton
2014-20 RIP Canucks

vCash: 50
... I was waiting for that Nazem Kadri comparison...

Unless you know him I think it's unfair to judge

Old
10-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
... I was waiting for that Nazem Kadri comparison...

Unless you know him I think it's unfair to judge
haha what do you mean?

I just mean style of play wise (I didnt even mean to insinuate that Kadri is cocky)

I more just meant every video you see of Ho-Sang is him doing dekes when he really doesnt need to and trying to beat defenders all by himself and making all these cute moves, kind of seems Kadrish

Off the ice I obviously don't know him, but judging from the highlights ive seen and his over the top celebrations I have gathered that this guy thinks hes the next great one

Old
10-13-2012, 10:40 PM
teal

yessssss

as a half-chinese jew who absolutely lives and breathes hockey, this warms my heart to an unspeakable degree. i hope this kid grows up to own the NHL (*edit: on the san jose sharks, or whatever league we might be watching in a few years.

re: cockiness... granted i've only seen one video of him (the one with his datsyukian shootout goal), but i thought he was even a little TOO humble, giving his opponents credit and everything. who knows. i hope he does well.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:06 AM
shello
@WShello9

I don't get it. So many people hate this kid for supposably being cocky, when Anthony Ducalir of the Remparts is probably 10times cockier than Ho-Sang and doesn't get any flack. From what I've seen in interviews and when I speak to him myself, which is every few weeks, he really doesn't come off cocky and doesnt thinks he's the second coming of Gretzky. He's humbled of the opportunity he has and sure he's confident but he has every right to be, maybe a little too confident for most people's liking but he's only 16. For the people who are saying he's the next Kadri based of highlight videos, is foolish, if you saw him live and said this I'd respect your opinion more but you shouldn't make an assumption like that by just some clips. (but they're my videos so thanks for watching )

Old
10-14-2012, 09:43 AM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 535
HoSangs a lot faster than Kadri.

From MM, if he changes:
-Puck Hogging
-Atittude
-Not scared in corners

The kids gonna be a hell of a hockey player.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:04 PM
FrozenJagrt

I've found that 99% of hockey players at any level are overconfident tools.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:28 PM
That

What's this about his attitude? From every interview I've seen he seems like a good kid.

He's 16, he has plenty of time to mature. Most teenagers don't act like professionals, so I didn't see why expectations for him are any different. He has every right to be confident in his abilities.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:36 PM
teal

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
What's this about his attitude? From every interview I've seen he seems like a good kid.

He's 16, he has plenty of time to mature. Most teenagers don't act like professionals, so I didn't see why expectations for him are any different. He has every right to be confident in his abilities.
Seriously, just look at the huge slaphappy grin on his face when he speaks to reporters (as opposed to the players who can't wait to get away from them.) He's obviously thrilled to be doing what he's doing, what more could you ask for.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Tigers1992

The first thing you'll know about minor hockey in Ontario (im sure its everywhere) is the jealousy that can brew among kids and parents. I stoped coaching because of how bad it can get. When I scout, I get a lot of parents who come up to us and promote their son and tear down the star. Be it McDavid, Ho-Sang, McKeown or in past years with other top players like Ritchie, Ekblad and Monahan. It happens all the time, its sad, but its a curse that we have in minor hockey.

Im not shocked when I see that talk translate over the message boards, its an easy place to take shots at kids. I don't really post on the OHL Draft thread anymore because of all the parental negativity that is attached to it. Amazing to think that all these kids have done is succeed and thrive as hockey players, but because of it they now have to deal with off ice jealousy. Its not fair to them, but hopefully they take is as motivation and it will make them better for overcoming it.

Ill say this, if someone feels the need to come on a message board and suggest that any 16 year old is 'cocky' or 'selfish', be sure that you actually know that from in person dialog with the player. Imagine if you where wrong about the kid? Imagine being 16 and having anonymous posters take shots at you?

I don't know what possesses people to do it, but hey, I guess its allowed on here, so have at it.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:53 AM
shello
@WShello9

Anyway back on topic of his actual play, he had another goal last night, two goals so far this season in 10 games with 7 points. After a slow start and adjusting he seams to be picking it up now.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:10 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
Off the ice I obviously don't know him, but judging from the highlights ive seen and his over the top celebrations I have gathered that this guy thinks hes the next great one
Off the boards obviously I don't know you, and I haven't read any of your other posts, but judging from the highlights in this one, I have gathered that you are not someone worth paying a whole lot of attention to.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:14 AM
thejanitor
he does it for free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Off the boards obviously I don't know you, and I haven't read any of your other posts, but judging from the highlights in this one, I have gathered that you are not someone worth paying a whole lot of attention to.

Off the boards obviously I don't know you, and I haven't read any of your other posts, but judging from the highlights in this one, I have gathered that you are not someone who really doesn't follow the rules of this forum.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:21 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
Off the boards obviously I don't know you, and I haven't read any of your other posts, but judging from the highlights in this one, I have gathered that you are not someone who really doesn't follow the rules of this forum.
Then I think you missed the point of my post. Keep at it though.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:44 AM
ed bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
haha what do you mean?

I just mean style of play wise (I didnt even mean to insinuate that Kadri is cocky)

I more just meant every video you see of Ho-Sang is him doing dekes when he really doesnt need to and trying to beat defenders all by himself and making all these cute moves, kind of seems Kadrish

how can you judge a person's personality based on highlights?

Closed Thread