HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Atkinson

Old
03-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Metalliben

vCash: 500
Atkinson

Hi there!
What can you tell me about Cam Atkinson's play since he's up with the pro ?
Thanks.

Last edited by Metalliben: 03-28-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Metalliben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Ludicrous Speed

He's a puck hound, and he has a good possession game. At times he still look out of place, but he's going to develop into a good, quick, aggressive goalscorer.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Goes to the net with regularity.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:36 AM
BluejacketNut

Outmatched by most NHLers. At least he has heart

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Matt

It took him a while to figure out the AHL goalies and ended up with 29 goals in 50 games. Once he sees these NHL goalies enough he will start scoring.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:37 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Don't know about "most," but certainly not all. I've seen him make a few NHL defensemen look bad as he went around them on his way to the net. He has speed, aggressiveness, and good hands. Don't know what his ceiling might be, but he doesn't look completely out of place on the CBJ second line. He is small and can be knocked off the puck, but not any more than Brassard, who is significantly bigger.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Metalliben

Do you think he'll have a full NHL season next year ?

Metalliben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:20 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalliben View Post
I would think so. In my mind there are only 2 reasons he wouldn't-

1) he gets injured - hopefully not

2) he regresses or we somehow obtain Zach Parise in free agency( to the second part of #2)

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalliben View Post
With 4 points in 21 games it's hard to say. I thought Calvert would be a regular at one time but he's not. Cam is 22 but limited AHL time, he may need more time in the AHL next season. If the Jackets blow up the roster and mgt next season predicting young starters is a crap shoot.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:57 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
With 4 points in 21 games it's hard to say. I thought Calvert would be a regular at one time but he's not. Cam is 22 but limited AHL time, he may need more time in the AHL next season. If the Jackets blow up the roster and mgt next season predicting young starters is a crap shoot.
The guy scored 32 goals and 49 points in 55 games as an AHLer on an otherwise average team. I think at this point, he has outgrown the AHL. Meaning he has nothing left to prove at that level. Now as for being a full-time NHLer, he is attacking the net with regularity, and has 2 points in his past 2 games. He's being rewarded for his efforts. I say he does play a full season's serving in the big leagues next season, barring injuries of course. And I wouldn't say Brassard is significantly better. Time will tell. One has a lot more experience at this level over the other. That's the big difference. Skillset wise, I don't think they are as far apart as the one poster made it out.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Matt

Someone mentioned Parise. Parise is a left wing, Cam is a right wing and Parise isnt leaving the Devils.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:19 PM
EDM

I have been told my the company that is his agent that Cam needs to work on learning to cut inside defenders and drive to the net. His natural instinct is to use his speed and try to go around them outside. But because of his smaller size, d-men can easily push him outside and out of the play. Once he learns to be a threat to cut inside, he will be much more difficult to defend because he will be able to use his speed more effectively when d-men are not sure which route he will take to the puck.
At least that is what Cam's business side is telling him.

EDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:20 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Not even remotely close to accurate. Sorry.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:23 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
And I wouldn't say Brassard is significantly better.
Disagree. Brassard's vision and shot are certainly better, and of course he's bigger.

What impresses me most about Atkinson is his conditioning. It doesn't matter if it's the 1st minute of the game or the last, the kid will beat defensemen to the puck and skate his heart out. He has a sick wrist shot but we haven't seen it utilized too often in games. He's mostly utilized for his ability to run down pucks and stick handle.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:46 AM
Cyclones Rock

I think he's done quite well for a guy who is just getting his feet wet in the NHL.

He skates well enough and seems to have a skill set that will allow him to play in the league. He's generating a good amount of shots and that's always a positive in my book as it shows an ability to be able to get into some semblance of scoring position.

The Jackets have had the luxury of giving him a fair amount of ice time-Atkinson is getting roughly 20 shifts and 16 minutes per game. He's gaining invaluable experience. He has 4 assists in his last 3 games; not bad for a 24 game veteran.

Given the Jackets abysmal lack of quality top 6 forwards, Atkinson might have an outside chance of being in that group starting next season. I'd think he'll probably be on the opening game roster next year, but if he is sent down to the AHL, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for him. He'll have a very good idea of the things he needs to work upon and some additional AHL seasoning with that knowledge might go a long way in furthering his development.

He's a fun player to watch and I hope that he'll become a mainstay in Columbus at some point.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:09 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Someone mentioned Parise. Parise is a left wing, Cam is a right wing and Parise isnt leaving the Devils.
Did you see the ?

Old
04-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Don't know about "most," but certainly not all. I've seen him make a few NHL defensemen look bad as he went around them on his way to the net. He has speed, aggressiveness, and good hands. Don't know what his ceiling might be, but he doesn't look completely out of place on the CBJ second line. He is small and can be knocked off the puck, but not any more than Brassard, who is significantly bigger.
Yep - he needs to pot one of two and really get his confidence up, but he's hardly out of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I have been told my the company that is his agent that Cam needs to work on learning to cut inside defenders and drive to the net. His natural instinct is to use his speed and try to go around them outside. But because of his smaller size, d-men can easily push him outside and out of the play. Once he learns to be a threat to cut inside, he will be much more difficult to defend because he will be able to use his speed more effectively when d-men are not sure which route he will take to the puck.
At least that is what Cam's business side is telling him.
I'm not part of Cam's business side, but I'm on board with this.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:28 AM
EspenK

Martin St Louis had 20 points in his first 69 games over 2 seasons. Just saying. MSL outweighs him by 11 lbs but Cam can probably add a few el bees (as Clark Kellogg would say) of muscle. One can always dream.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Matt

Eddie Olyczek said the same thing about Cam. He coached him in the world Jr's and said when he learns to go more north, south and inside, he will score a ton of goals. Right now he is taking the attention off of Umberger and that is why RJ is scoring.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:08 AM
blahblah

The little man can create space.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:30 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
The little man can create space.
Atkinson should always sit next to Hunwick when he comes off the ice, the two of them present such an amusing picture, side by side! Disney movies and segments of the old Mouse Club used to have kids show up in adult roles - pilots, ballplayers, stewardesses, etc. - that's what they remind me of!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:20 AM
TomHBlain

Send a message via AIM to TomHBlain
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
The guy scored 32 goals and 49 points in 55 games as an AHLer on an otherwise average team. I think at this point, he has outgrown the AHL. Meaning he has nothing left to prove at that level. Now as for being a full-time NHLer, he is attacking the net with regularity, and has 2 points in his past 2 games. He's being rewarded for his efforts. I say he does play a full season's serving in the big leagues next season, barring injuries of course. And I wouldn't say Brassard is significantly better. Time will tell. One has a lot more experience at this level over the other. That's the big difference. Skillset wise, I don't think they are as far apart as the one poster made it out.
As a player who is 5'8" there isn't much he can outgrow.

TomHBlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Nordique

On many of his shifts he appears to have a gear noone else on the ice has. His speed is most apparent in tight spaces, quick bursts, stop and go.

I can't even compare him to Calvert, he is so much quicker, so much more threatening with the puck. Cam's biggest problem is finishing, he misses the net alot. Can't wait to see his game develop.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:59 AM
blahblah

Not sure I would say that, assuming you are indicating Cam is faster. On pure breakaway speed Calvert is amazing, certainly in the same league. Atkinson is consistently skating hard.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Matt

Hope his sunburn doesn't affect his play tonight.