HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 Draft Thread (Draft Lottery 4/10 8PM on NBC Sports)

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2011, 03:42 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
I agree that at first pick you take the best available-hopefully if its us there is a clear cut choice a la crosby, ovie, otherwise we'll more than likely screw it up.

Old
11-28-2011, 05:35 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

If we finish in TOP 3 I would like to get Ryan Murray not Yakupov or Grigorenko. Yes, they are great players but a goalie, defense and a center are the most important. Andif we have to chance to get a great d-man we must use it!!!

Old
11-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Murray isn't exactly the type of defender that we desperately need. If we have a choice between Yakupov and Murray, the choice is really simple. To say we don't need a winger is also kind of laughable, last I checked we are always one of the lowest goal scoring teams in the league I think we are fine at center with Carter and Johansen going forward, our needs for the IMO is a scoring winger and a physical defender that can skate and pass our blue line is to tiny, and Murray certainly doesn't address that.

Old
11-28-2011, 08:00 PM
MapleJ

I feel that its harder to get skill guys like Yakupov than it is to acquire defensive help. I don't think it would be wise to pass up the so called "Franchise" Talent of Yakupov.

Old
11-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleJ View Post
I feel that its harder to get skill guys like Yakupov than it is to acquire defensive help. I don't think it would be wise to pass up the so called "Franchise" Talent of Yakupov.
Definitely not if he's there when we pick.

However, if we don't get the #1 or #2 overall pick, we should draft a stud defenseman.

I hope we get a high caliber goalie in the mid-2nd or early-3rd round. Are goaltenders easy to come by? Supposedly, but franchise goaltenders aren't in my opinion. I don't have much faith in York or Corbeil, and Dekanich is having injury problems.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:27 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Murray isn't exactly the type of defender that we desperately need. If we have a choice between Yakupov and Murray, the choice is really simple. To say we don't need a winger is also kind of laughable, last I checked we are always one of the lowest goal scoring teams in the league I think we are fine at center with Carter and Johansen going forward, our needs for the IMO is a scoring winger and a physical defender that can skate and pass our blue line is to tiny, and Murray certainly doesn't address that.
Ha! Do you really think great offensive defensman is not what we need? Again... I say about franchise defensman and not only offensive defensman. Do you think that Kings would prefer Yakupov over Doughty when Nail would be in this draft? No. And they had Johnson.

And physical... I agree with you but he can be getting in a trade.

Last edited by mt-svk: 11-28-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old
11-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Ha! Do you really think great offensive defensman is not what we need? Again... I say about franchise defensman and not only offensive defensman. Do you think that Kings would prefer Yakupov over Doughty when Nail would be in this draft? No. And they had Johnson.

And physical... I agree with you but he can be getting in a trade.
Sure, obviously a great offensive defender would be nice, but I'd much rather have an elite offensive winger to play with Johansen when our current wingers don't come close to getting it done offensively. I don't know anything about Murray other than what I read, and I won't be disappointed with him either, but if I have a choice between Yakupov and Murray I think I'm taking Yakupov. Also about the size argument, I got Murphy and Murray mixed up as I see Murray is 6'1" around 200lbs which is plenty big enough. If Yakupov isn't there when we are picking and Murray is, then I think it's a no brainer that he is the pick.

Old
11-29-2011, 07:02 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

The Jackets are fine up the middle with Carter and Johansen, yet if a Crosby, Mario Lemieux or Mark Messier was available with the Jackets pick, you take them. If Yakupov is an Ovechkin-like talent, I don't care if you have All Star wingers, you take him.

Old
01-03-2012, 09:47 PM
wahsnairb

the more I watch yakupov play in this wjc, the more I don't mind our losses this season.. that kid is the real deal to say the least wow

Old
01-04-2012, 02:21 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
the more I watch yakupov play in this wjc, the more I don't mind our losses this season.. that kid is the real deal to say the least wow
Dont worry we destroy him...

Old
01-04-2012, 07:40 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
The Jackets are fine up the middle with Carter and Johansen, yet if a Crosby, Mario Lemieux or Mark Messier was available with the Jackets pick, you take them. If Yakupov is an Ovechkin-like talent, I don't care if you have All Star wingers, you take him.
Is there any position at which we have sufficient depth that we'd pass up a generational talent at said position? No.

Beyond Rick Nash and arguably Carter, what All Star level talent do we have on this team?

Where position could come into play is if this team is drafting 3rd or later and suddenly the incremental difference between Player A and Player B isn't as great. But, again, given that we have needs at pretty much every position, I'm not sure it will be much of a factor for us.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:21 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Dont worry we will begin better whe will finish higher and than lost lottery.

Old
01-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
Indeed he is. Of course, at the rate the rest of these top prospects have been dropping like flies, he might be the only one healthy enough to go first overall.

I'll also add that, until this morning's game, Ryan Murray has looked terrific. Getting some of the reports I have from the WHL, I think he might be putting a little bit of distance between himself and the rest of the blueliners. Of course, no one knows how the Russia game will affect him or his stock going forward.

Will this be the second year that I develop a prospect crush on a defenseman named Ryan Mur--y?

Old
01-04-2012, 04:24 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Indeed he is. Of course, at the rate the rest of these top prospects have been dropping like flies, he might be the only one healthy enough to go first overall.

I'll also add that, until this morning's game, Ryan Murray has looked terrific. Getting some of the reports I have from the WHL, I think he might be putting a little bit of distance between himself and the rest of the blueliners. Of course, no one knows how the Russia game will affect him or his stock going forward.

Will this be the second year that I develop a prospect crush on a defenseman named Ryan Mur--y?
Maybe its time to get another 1st round pick

Old
01-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
I don't think even we can funk up Yakupov. In my very limited viewing of the games, I've also been impressed by Hakanpaa for Finland, an offensive dman

Old
01-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Doug19

To bad Nash or Carter couldn't get us the #2 or #3 pick so we could draft Yakupov and Murray.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:50 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
I don't think even we can funk up Yakupov. In my very limited viewing of the games, I've also been impressed by Hakanpaa for Finland, an offensive dman
He played not good especially.

Old
01-05-2012, 07:29 AM
wahsnairb

Quote:

i don't think a lot of the criticism he was receiving for that game (or what i saw on here, at least) was just.. really unlucky deflections coming off him and his stick.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Nail is out for a month with a torn meniscus. Saw it on the prospect board. Our luck eh

Old
01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:

Palinka, could you comment on how Yakupov's game will translate to the NHL. I've only seen Youtube clips of him. My concern is he is only 5'10". Because of their size Brule's and Filatov's game didn't translate to the NHL. Does he try to play the part of a power forward (Brule) or does he work from the edges (Filatov). Him being a Russian means nothing to me but what does concern me is can he play at the next level.

Old
01-06-2012, 01:45 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
To bad Nash or Carter couldn't get us the #2 or #3 pick so we could draft Yakupov and Murray.
Hell Carter got a #8 pick and a former # 7 (50 pointer). Of course we can't trade with ourselves.

I'd trade Carter for a top 5 pick and a good young player unless I was 100% sure he was willing to play here. So far, I'm not sure we've seen that

Old
01-06-2012, 01:50 PM
EspenK

Yakupov suffers serious knee injury

Think this needs its own thread. Now what?

http://thehockeywriters.com/top-pros...least-a-month/

Old
01-06-2012, 01:53 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Think this needs its own thread. Now what?

http://thehockeywriters.com/top-pros...least-a-month/
We will draft Grigorenko

I hope Nail will O.K. soon

Old
01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Jinx.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Doug19

Awesome, so the sure-fire #1 pick is now hurt, so if we have the #1 pick we will be forced to choose between a few guys, that is just awesome, because Columbus has always been great at picking the right guy when they have choices.

Closed Thread