HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Thread (Draft Lottery 4/10 8PM on NBC Sports)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2012, 11:35 AM
blahblah

vCash: 500
It amuses me to see TSN use "Fail for Nail" in an article as they did today...

Wonder who will be at the draft table when we end up drafting sixth again?

Old
01-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

How awesome is this?

Old
01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
How awesome is this?

If we draft him, Canada will never respect us...

Old
01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
How awesome is this?

So you can play hockey and enjoy it and have fun?

"See you next time."

This video makes me want the CBJ to get to draft him more than the highlight video.

Old
01-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

This thread is depressing.... I can't believe we're talking about the 2012 draft and we knew we'd be talking about it in November.

Old
01-11-2012, 05:10 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

The question is... will Yakupov and/or Grigorenko want to play for us?

Old
01-11-2012, 05:28 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Do they have a choice?

Old
01-11-2012, 06:15 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Geez... Yeah, that happens all the time, #1 picks not reporting to the NHL...

Old
01-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
I want Yakupov, not only will he be good he will make Filatov an afterthought in Columbus... oh, his presence on the CBJ roster will increase your posts X10 too!

PS: if drafted by Columbus he will report, not only will he report he may take the stand and say he's the new Blue Jacket franchise player! (as Nash shutters in the background)

Old
01-12-2012, 02:06 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Do they have a choice?
He'll be the next Eric Lindros. All he has to do is say the same thing Lindros said but replace Quebec with Columbus.

Old
01-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
How is Grigorenko pronounced?

Old
01-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
He'll be the next Eric Lindros. All he has to do is say the same thing Lindros said but replace Quebec with Columbus.
that wouldn't be so bad if we get the same deal that Colorado got for trading him.

"It was decided that the Flyers had indeed consummated a trade, sending six players (including Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall and Steve Duchesne), two first-round draft choices and $15 million to the Nordiques for Lindros. The players who went to the Nordiques established Quebec, and later Colorado when the franchise moved, as a championship contender and then Stanley Cup winner in Denver."

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=10953

Of course Howson wouldn't be able to pull something like that off but maybe?

Old
01-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
Palinka, could you comment on how Yakupov's game will translate to the NHL. I've only seen Youtube clips of him. My concern is he is only 5'10". Because of their size Brule's and Filatov's game didn't translate to the NHL. Does he try to play the part of a power forward (Brule) or does he work from the edges (Filatov). Him being a Russian means nothing to me but what does concern me is can he play at the next level.
The advantage with Yakupov is that there's been a lot of scouting done on him previously. Also, playing in the OHL has quieted a lot of concerns about whether or not he'd be able to hack it on the smaller surface.

Brule's problem was his complete lack of hockey IQ. We all fell in love with the physical tools, completely blinded to what should have been plainly obvious. He's still one of the most physically gifted players in the NHL.

Filatov's problem was...well, where do I begin. He's manipulative, which is not a positive. The complete failure of 2009-10 goes back to a 19-year-old who was complaining about everything and anything. Regardless, a lot of on-ice concerns with him were squelched because he came across as such a team-first guy in interviews and in meetings with coaches. It was assumed that he'd be the one to blow up the stereotype of Alexei Kovalev (floating for days at a time) and Maxim Afinogenov (avoiding the slot area like it was a pit of lava). Instead, he reinforced it. Everyone thought he'd grow out of his bad habits; 75% of prospects have something severely detrimental to their game, but most grow out of it.

With Yakupov, I'd say 98% of the people who have seen him for any length of time are convinced that his offensive game will absolutely translate to the NHL. He's got the physical tools of Brule, but a very high offensive IQ to go with it. I don't think he's on the same level as Nugent-Hopkins last year, who's one of the best in the last 20 years in that aspect, but he's not far off.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
How is Grigorenko pronounced?
The "i" is a shortened "ee" sound, similar to the end of "cookie".

But it's basically like "gree-gor-EN-ko" or "gree-go-REN-ko". As fast as it's normally said, the syllable where the "R" falls isn't too important.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Since I've been posting rage comics elsewhere on the boards, I figured I'd re-post a 2012 draft special. Since it was made a few days ago, it doesn't have Matia Marcantuoni in it.

Old
01-17-2012, 07:27 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I want Yakupov, not only will he be good he will make Filatov an afterthought in Columbus... oh, his presence on the CBJ roster will increase your posts X10 too!

PS: if drafted by Columbus he will report, not only will he report he may take the stand and say he's the new Blue Jacket franchise player! (as Nash shutters in the background)
What increase my posts isnt Yakupov, but better English for right understand your posts. I cannot react when I am not sure often what do you (people here) think.

Palinka, what do you think about Grigorenko?

Old
01-17-2012, 08:11 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What increase my posts isnt Yakupov, but better English for right understand your posts. I cannot react when I am not sure often what do you (people here) think.
English is my first language, mt-svk, and I often have no idea what Robert is on about!

Old
01-17-2012, 12:42 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
English is my first language, mt-svk, and I often have no idea what Robert is on about!

I often cannot understand what you (all) think. It must change!!! First learn, than write

Old
01-17-2012, 12:53 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I often cannot understand what you (all) think. It must change!!! First learn, than write
Don't worry about it, Eva, you usually express your thoughts clearly enough and with a great deal more charm than most.

Old
01-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Congo Jack
Good Moleman to you.

Who would you guys draft in the 2nd or 3rd rounds? Dalton Thrower would be a pretty nice pickup.

Old
01-17-2012, 06:08 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAv View Post
Who would you guys draft in the 2nd or 3rd rounds? Dalton Thrower would be a pretty nice pickup.
2nd round I want Vasilevski. I think if he is available in the 2nd round and we pass him up, we are fools. We are weak at goaltending, and that kid has been a monster. He is 17 and IIHF had him at 6'3'' and 205lbs.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Palinka, what do you think about Grigorenko?
The first thing that stands out is his bizarre skating. Of course, the same was said about Mike Bossy, and it didn't prevent him from producing.

The biggest thing with Grigorenko is the game-to-game inconsistency. There are games where he looks completely dominant, where he's strong on his skates and aggressive in corners and ferociously competitive and showing off jaw-dropping offensive skill. But there are other times where he's completely invisible.

Now, I don't know how much of that is because it's his first season on the smaller North American ice, how much of that is because no one has the book on him, and how much of it truly disconcerting. Yes, he has the chance to be in the NHL what Evgeni Malkin has been and will become.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAv View Post
Out of the last 10 drafts, probably half of them have involved a muddled mess from around #10 through #40. This draft actually goes beyond that, probably as late as #60. I can see about 10 guys plummeting, and about 20 guys who are projected as 3rd- or 4th-rounders possibly being picked in the 15-30 range.

There are certainly some sleepers and some projects out there.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
2nd round I want Vasilevski. I think if he is available in the 2nd round and we pass him up, we are fools. We are weak at goaltending, and that kid has been a monster. He is 17 and IIHF had him at 6'3'' and 205lbs.
He'll go somewhere between 10th and 57th. I say 57th because I'd imagine that's where Detroit will be picking, and he won't get past them in the second round.

It depends primarily on the Russian factor, but there's also a growing consensus that taking goalies in the top 15 or even top 20 is an unnecessary gamble. There have been several notable flameouts from that high, mostly untempered by elite players taken in that same area. In the last 15 years, the number of goalies who would even sniff the All-Star Game who were taken in the first round can be counted on one hand, and none of them has been anything resembling consistent.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Really the question I have is, who is the second-best player out there? All this "Fail for Nail" talk makes it seem like there is nobody else likely to be in the draft, period, and we have to face the reality that the No. 1 pick is not a lock.

Say we lose the lottery. Say we can't get Nail. Who then do we go after, provided we didn't trade the pick for depth, more picks, etc. or something?

Closed Thread