HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 Draft Thread (Draft Lottery 4/10 8PM on NBC Sports)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
  #176
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 15,979
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Really the question I have is, who is the second-best player out there? All this "Fail for Nail" talk makes it seem like there is nobody else likely to be in the draft, period, and we have to face the reality that the No. 1 pick is not a lock.

Say we lose the lottery. Say we can't get Nail. Who then do we go after, provided we didn't trade the pick for depth, more picks, etc. or something?
Grigorenko is the #1 ranked player by ISS, and then there's Ryan Murray. So we have to be in the top 3 to draft a franchise calibre player.

Timeless Winter is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 04:35 PM
  #177
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
2nd round I want Vasilevski. I think if he is available in the 2nd round and we pass him up, we are fools. We are weak at goaltending, and that kid has been a monster. He is 17 and IIHF had him at 6'3'' and 205lbs.
I recommend:



mt-svk is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 06:10 PM
  #178
kshymkiw
Registered User
 
kshymkiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I recommend:


As long as he could strap on some skates, he couldn't be any worse than Mason

kshymkiw is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 07:26 PM
  #179
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!
 
Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Grigorenko is the #1 ranked player by ISS, and then there's Ryan Murray. So we have to be in the top 3 to draft a franchise calibre player.
So who are these three players and how would each help us? Does it truly matter which one we get?

Moo is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
  #180
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
Craig Button released his list and, while Nail was #1, he had Grigorenko at #7.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

While his list seems off to me (although I haven't watched the top prospects besides the WJC, so who I am to debate it?), it does suggest that the #2 and #3 choices may not be as separated from the pack as we'd like as CBJ fans.

By the way, he has Murray at #9.

Nanabijou is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 07:44 PM
  #181
Hipster Letestu
Registered User
 
Hipster Letestu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westerville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Craig Button released his list and, while Nail was #1, he had Grigorenko at #7.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

While his list seems off to me (although I haven't watched the top prospects besides the WJC, so who I am to debate it?), it does suggest that the #2 and #3 choices may not be as separated from the pack as we'd like as CBJ fans.

By the way, he has Murray at #9.
If we went defense I would much prefer Reinhart over Murray. He's a big, strong 2-way defender with offensive skill.

Hipster Letestu is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 08:26 PM
  #182
gojackets1
Someday.
 
gojackets1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 3,310
vCash: 500
Anyone else get the feeling that the NHL is going to commit the biggest troll job in the history of sports and have the oilers win the lottery? Cant wait to see these boards light up when it happens.

gojackets1 is offline  
Old
01-18-2012, 08:29 PM
  #183
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: ClosedDoorMeeting
Country: Qatar
Posts: 10,685
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that the NHL is going to commit the biggest troll job in the history of sports and have the oilers win the lottery? Cant wait to see these boards light up when it happens.
I don't see how they can top giving Crosby to Mario so the Pens wouldn't leave Pittsburgh

Jovavic is online now  
Old
01-18-2012, 08:33 PM
  #184
gojackets1
Someday.
 
gojackets1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 3,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
I don't see how they can top giving Crosby to Mario so the Pens wouldn't leave Pittsburgh
Oh is that how that happened? Didnt know that, I wasn't following hockey that close then. Thats a damn shame.

gojackets1 is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 08:25 AM
  #185
FormerRedwingFan
Holland is Amazing
 
FormerRedwingFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 1,212
vCash: 500
Would be nice to land Nail. Everything I have seen and heard shows him to be a special player. Not sure if the injury will effect his status as a solid number 1. Prior to the injury he was #1 across most any ranking. The things I like to hear is he not only has the skill package but he seems to have the right attitude. In my opinion attitude is a huge deal when building a winning team. To get someone with that much potential and the right state of mind and commitment might be just what the doctor ordered for this team. Shoring up the back end never hurts but if columbus does go for a top defensive defensemen I would hope they would trade down. I think a lot of teams would give a great package for Nail. Assuming they do successfully fail for nail. The coaching change seems to have actually sparked a bit of a turn around. If it lasts #1 may no longer be a reality.

This draft is pretty deep honestly the top teams in this draft are going to be very happy. Injury has taken a lot of the hype out of the draft but IMO injury doesn't really take away their potential it just takes away their hype. Its how guys like Couturier and Connelly fell out of the top 5


Last edited by FormerRedwingFan: 01-19-2012 at 08:33 AM.
FormerRedwingFan is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 09:54 AM
  #186
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Oh is that how that happened? Didnt know that, I wasn't following hockey that close then. Thats a damn shame.
Not quite. In the absence of the 2004-05 season, there was no true draft lottery to be had based on standings. So the league started everyone off with three lottery ball, then deducted one for either first overall picks (awarded, not actual) and playoff appearances in the previous three years. No team could have less than 1 ball. The important thing about the awarded first overall picks as opposed to actual is that Florida had had the first overall pick in 2002 and 2003 both, but had traded them. So they didn't use either one of them, but still had the deduction.

Anyway, Columbus, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and the Rangers were the only teams that had 3 balls. Maybe 10 more teams had 2 balls, and the rest had 1. The thought around the league was that the lottery itself would be rigged so that the Rangers got the first pick and therefore Crosby; nothing would be better for the league than to have its biggest young phenom in New York City. Instead, Pittsburgh ended up with it. The Penguins had been going back and forth with the city and state about a new arena and were threatening to move to Kansas City (Jim Balsillie also wanted them in Hamilton). Their attendance the past couple of years was only around 11,000.

So Pittsburgh wins the lottery, drafts Crosby, and suddenly every ticket in the arena was sold as a season ticket, getting the ball rolling that culminated in a Cup and a new arena. There are many who think that the lottery was rigged in some way to save Pittsburgh.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
  #187
kshymkiw
Registered User
 
kshymkiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Craig Button released his list and, while Nail was #1, he had Grigorenko at #7.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

While his list seems off to me (although I haven't watched the top prospects besides the WJC, so who I am to debate it?), it does suggest that the #2 and #3 choices may not be as separated from the pack as we'd like as CBJ fans.

By the way, he has Murray at #9.
He also has Vasilevski as the #1 rated Goalie in the draft, now 2 spots ahead of Malcolm Subban

kshymkiw is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 11:39 AM
  #188
OilerOlli*
 
OilerOlli*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,173
vCash: 500
I think you guys are nearly uncatchable tihis year.
So what prospect do you think would your managment take at #1?

OilerOlli* is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 12:01 PM
  #189
Matt Foley
Blue Jackets
 
Matt Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Motivational Guru
Posts: 1,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
So what prospect do you think would your managment take at #1?
Joe Schlabotnik from the Nunavut Nosepickers. I hear that he is really good at digging deep into the corners.

Matt Foley is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 12:40 PM
  #190
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!
 
CBJ Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: In Hiding
Country: United States
Posts: 869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
I think you guys are nearly uncatchable tihis year.
So what prospect do you think would your managment take at #1?
It is proabably the same guy that every team would pick as the #1 overall.

CBJ Bob is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 12:43 PM
  #191
OilerOlli*
 
OilerOlli*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
It is proabably the same guy that every team would pick as the #1 overall.
I don't think every team would pick the same player at #1.
I guess you think your team would take Yakupov.

OilerOlli* is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 12:48 PM
  #192
Palinka
Registered User
 
Palinka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Joe Schlabotnik from the Nunavut Nosepickers. I hear that he is really good at digging deep into the corners.
Good shooter too; it's like he just flicks it without warning and catches everyone around him by surprise.

Palinka is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
  #193
kshymkiw
Registered User
 
kshymkiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
I don't think every team would pick the same player at #1.
I guess you think your team would take Yakupov.
I think that is still TBD.

We are pretty good at center, with Johansen, but can an org. really ever have too many good centers?

Since there isn't an obvious defensive standout, like Adam Larsson last year, I think we end up taking Yakupov or Grigorenko, with the first overall.

If GMSH is still employed, and intelligent, I would think he tries to get back into the draft in the mid to late first round to either take a crack at a D Prospect, or a Goalie. We really lack standout goalie prospects as Mason will be gone, Dex was a 1 year sign, Sanford was a 1 year, Allen York has been okay.

At least D Wise, we have Holden, Savard, Moore, Golobeuf

kshymkiw is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 02:00 PM
  #194
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,746
vCash: 500
We'd be crazy not to take Yakupov.

CBJBrassard16 is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 02:03 PM
  #195
kshymkiw
Registered User
 
kshymkiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
We'd be crazy not to take Yakupov.
With the same type of draft as 04 shaping up, looking back would you take Malkin or Ovechkin? While OV has had some great years, his production is slowly shrinking, while Malkin has stayed at roughly the same production.

I would almost think taking Grigorenko, would be the better long term choice. Yakupov may put up some great numbers his first 4 years, but once teams figure him out and zero in on him, he becomes less effective.

kshymkiw is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 02:09 PM
  #196
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
With the same type of draft as 04 shaping up, looking back would you take Malkin or Ovechkin? While OV has had some great years, his production is slowly shrinking, while Malkin has stayed at roughly the same production.

I would almost think taking Grigorenko, would be the better long term choice. Yakupov may put up some great numbers his first 4 years, but once teams figure him out and zero in on him, he becomes less effective.
Yakupov has a more physical style of play than Grigorenko, has a better scoring touch, and is a better passer. The only thing Grigorenko has on Yakupov is his ability to win battles in the corners and battle in front of the net.

I think both will be outstanding players, but you don't pass on a Nail Yakupov.

CBJBrassard16 is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 02:20 PM
  #197
kshymkiw
Registered User
 
kshymkiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Yakupov has a more physical style of play than Grigorenko, has a better scoring touch, and is a better passer. The only thing Grigorenko has on Yakupov is his ability to win battles in the corners and battle in front of the net.

I think both will be outstanding players, but you don't pass on a Nail Yakupov.
But in the past where have we failed? We failed at winning battles down low, and scoring goals off of rebounds. We have plenty of wingers to get the puck to the net, we have no one who crashes the net, or sits in front of the net to pick up the rebounds.

Just my .02, I think Grigorenko is going to end up being the better player, no matter who we take. I think Yakupov is going to go the same ways of Ovechkin. He obviously enjoys the spotlight, and enjoys the media, etc... very similar to OV. Yakupov didn't overly impress me at the WJC. I think the issue with Grogorenko, is his injuries, he has suffered some pretty serious knee related injuries so far, and those tend to stick around for a long time.

kshymkiw is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 02:36 PM
  #198
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Yakupov has a more physical style of play than Grigorenko, has a better scoring touch, and is a better passer. The only thing Grigorenko has on Yakupov is his ability to win battles in the corners and battle in front of the net.

I think both will be outstanding players, but you don't pass on a Nail Yakupov.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
But in the past where have we failed? We failed at winning battles down low, and scoring goals off of rebounds. We have plenty of wingers to get the puck to the net, we have no one who crashes the net, or sits in front of the net to pick up the rebounds.

Just my .02, I think Grigorenko is going to end up being the better player, no matter who we take. I think Yakupov is going to go the same ways of Ovechkin. He obviously enjoys the spotlight, and enjoys the media, etc... very similar to OV. Yakupov didn't overly impress me at the WJC. I think the issue with Grogorenko, is his injuries, he has suffered some pretty serious knee related injuries so far, and those tend to stick around for a long time.
Obligatory "whichever the Jackets pick will be worst" post.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 02:50 PM
  #199
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,864
vCash: 500
Yakupov=Ovechkin
Grigorenko=Malkin

I prefer Malkin over Ovechkin.

mt-svk is offline  
Old
01-24-2012, 03:10 PM
  #200
kshymkiw
Registered User
 
kshymkiw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Yakupov=Ovechkin
Grigorenko=Malkin

I prefer Malkin over Ovechkin.
For the long term, I would too. Ovechkin has shown significant decrease, over the last few years. Even under Dale Hunter his game isn't back to what it was. Teams have just figure out how to stop Ovechkin.

Short term, Yakupov may look like the better option, but in the long run, I think Grigorenko will pan out better, for who ever chooses him. The only thing that scares me about Grigorenko is his injury history.

kshymkiw is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.