HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 Draft Thread (Draft Lottery 4/10 8PM on NBC Sports)

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Really the question I have is, who is the second-best player out there? All this "Fail for Nail" talk makes it seem like there is nobody else likely to be in the draft, period, and we have to face the reality that the No. 1 pick is not a lock.

Say we lose the lottery. Say we can't get Nail. Who then do we go after, provided we didn't trade the pick for depth, more picks, etc. or something?
Grigorenko is the #1 ranked player by ISS, and then there's Ryan Murray. So we have to be in the top 3 to draft a franchise calibre player.

Old
01-18-2012, 04:35 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
2nd round I want Vasilevski. I think if he is available in the 2nd round and we pass him up, we are fools. We are weak at goaltending, and that kid has been a monster. He is 17 and IIHF had him at 6'3'' and 205lbs.
I recommend:

Old
01-18-2012, 06:10 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I recommend:

As long as he could strap on some skates, he couldn't be any worse than Mason

Old
01-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Grigorenko is the #1 ranked player by ISS, and then there's Ryan Murray. So we have to be in the top 3 to draft a franchise calibre player.
So who are these three players and how would each help us? Does it truly matter which one we get?

Old
01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Craig Button released his list and, while Nail was #1, he had Grigorenko at #7.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

While his list seems off to me (although I haven't watched the top prospects besides the WJC, so who I am to debate it?), it does suggest that the #2 and #3 choices may not be as separated from the pack as we'd like as CBJ fans.

By the way, he has Murray at #9.

Old
01-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post

While his list seems off to me (although I haven't watched the top prospects besides the WJC, so who I am to debate it?), it does suggest that the #2 and #3 choices may not be as separated from the pack as we'd like as CBJ fans.

If we went defense I would much prefer Reinhart over Murray. He's a big, strong 2-way defender with offensive skill.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:26 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Anyone else get the feeling that the NHL is going to commit the biggest troll job in the history of sports and have the oilers win the lottery? Cant wait to see these boards light up when it happens.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that the NHL is going to commit the biggest troll job in the history of sports and have the oilers win the lottery? Cant wait to see these boards light up when it happens.
I don't see how they can top giving Crosby to Mario so the Pens wouldn't leave Pittsburgh

Old
01-18-2012, 08:33 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
I don't see how they can top giving Crosby to Mario so the Pens wouldn't leave Pittsburgh
Oh is that how that happened? Didnt know that, I wasn't following hockey that close then. Thats a damn shame.

Old
01-19-2012, 08:25 AM
FormerRedwingFan
Holland is Amazing

Would be nice to land Nail. Everything I have seen and heard shows him to be a special player. Not sure if the injury will effect his status as a solid number 1. Prior to the injury he was #1 across most any ranking. The things I like to hear is he not only has the skill package but he seems to have the right attitude. In my opinion attitude is a huge deal when building a winning team. To get someone with that much potential and the right state of mind and commitment might be just what the doctor ordered for this team. Shoring up the back end never hurts but if columbus does go for a top defensive defensemen I would hope they would trade down. I think a lot of teams would give a great package for Nail. Assuming they do successfully fail for nail. The coaching change seems to have actually sparked a bit of a turn around. If it lasts #1 may no longer be a reality.

This draft is pretty deep honestly the top teams in this draft are going to be very happy. Injury has taken a lot of the hype out of the draft but IMO injury doesn't really take away their potential it just takes away their hype. Its how guys like Couturier and Connelly fell out of the top 5

Last edited by FormerRedwingFan: 01-19-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old
01-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Oh is that how that happened? Didnt know that, I wasn't following hockey that close then. Thats a damn shame.
Not quite. In the absence of the 2004-05 season, there was no true draft lottery to be had based on standings. So the league started everyone off with three lottery ball, then deducted one for either first overall picks (awarded, not actual) and playoff appearances in the previous three years. No team could have less than 1 ball. The important thing about the awarded first overall picks as opposed to actual is that Florida had had the first overall pick in 2002 and 2003 both, but had traded them. So they didn't use either one of them, but still had the deduction.

Anyway, Columbus, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and the Rangers were the only teams that had 3 balls. Maybe 10 more teams had 2 balls, and the rest had 1. The thought around the league was that the lottery itself would be rigged so that the Rangers got the first pick and therefore Crosby; nothing would be better for the league than to have its biggest young phenom in New York City. Instead, Pittsburgh ended up with it. The Penguins had been going back and forth with the city and state about a new arena and were threatening to move to Kansas City (Jim Balsillie also wanted them in Hamilton). Their attendance the past couple of years was only around 11,000.

So Pittsburgh wins the lottery, drafts Crosby, and suddenly every ticket in the arena was sold as a season ticket, getting the ball rolling that culminated in a Cup and a new arena. There are many who think that the lottery was rigged in some way to save Pittsburgh.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post

He also has Vasilevski as the #1 rated Goalie in the draft, now 2 spots ahead of Malcolm Subban

Old
01-24-2012, 11:39 AM
OilerOlli*

I think you guys are nearly uncatchable tihis year.
So what prospect do you think would your managment take at #1?

Old
01-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Matt Foley
Blue Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Joe Schlabotnik from the Nunavut Nosepickers. I hear that he is really good at digging deep into the corners.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:40 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
I think you guys are nearly uncatchable tihis year.
It is proabably the same guy that every team would pick as the #1 overall.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:43 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
It is proabably the same guy that every team would pick as the #1 overall.
I don't think every team would pick the same player at #1.
I guess you think your team would take Yakupov.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Joe Schlabotnik from the Nunavut Nosepickers. I hear that he is really good at digging deep into the corners.
Good shooter too; it's like he just flicks it without warning and catches everyone around him by surprise.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
I don't think every team would pick the same player at #1.
I guess you think your team would take Yakupov.
I think that is still TBD.

We are pretty good at center, with Johansen, but can an org. really ever have too many good centers?

Since there isn't an obvious defensive standout, like Adam Larsson last year, I think we end up taking Yakupov or Grigorenko, with the first overall.

If GMSH is still employed, and intelligent, I would think he tries to get back into the draft in the mid to late first round to either take a crack at a D Prospect, or a Goalie. We really lack standout goalie prospects as Mason will be gone, Dex was a 1 year sign, Sanford was a 1 year, Allen York has been okay.

At least D Wise, we have Holden, Savard, Moore, Golobeuf

Old
01-24-2012, 02:00 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

We'd be crazy not to take Yakupov.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:03 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
We'd be crazy not to take Yakupov.
With the same type of draft as 04 shaping up, looking back would you take Malkin or Ovechkin? While OV has had some great years, his production is slowly shrinking, while Malkin has stayed at roughly the same production.

I would almost think taking Grigorenko, would be the better long term choice. Yakupov may put up some great numbers his first 4 years, but once teams figure him out and zero in on him, he becomes less effective.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:09 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
With the same type of draft as 04 shaping up, looking back would you take Malkin or Ovechkin? While OV has had some great years, his production is slowly shrinking, while Malkin has stayed at roughly the same production.

I would almost think taking Grigorenko, would be the better long term choice. Yakupov may put up some great numbers his first 4 years, but once teams figure him out and zero in on him, he becomes less effective.
Yakupov has a more physical style of play than Grigorenko, has a better scoring touch, and is a better passer. The only thing Grigorenko has on Yakupov is his ability to win battles in the corners and battle in front of the net.

I think both will be outstanding players, but you don't pass on a Nail Yakupov.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:20 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Yakupov has a more physical style of play than Grigorenko, has a better scoring touch, and is a better passer. The only thing Grigorenko has on Yakupov is his ability to win battles in the corners and battle in front of the net.

But in the past where have we failed? We failed at winning battles down low, and scoring goals off of rebounds. We have plenty of wingers to get the puck to the net, we have no one who crashes the net, or sits in front of the net to pick up the rebounds.

Just my .02, I think Grigorenko is going to end up being the better player, no matter who we take. I think Yakupov is going to go the same ways of Ovechkin. He obviously enjoys the spotlight, and enjoys the media, etc... very similar to OV. Yakupov didn't overly impress me at the WJC. I think the issue with Grogorenko, is his injuries, he has suffered some pretty serious knee related injuries so far, and those tend to stick around for a long time.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

Quote:
But in the past where have we failed? We failed at winning battles down low, and scoring goals off of rebounds. We have plenty of wingers to get the puck to the net, we have no one who crashes the net, or sits in front of the net to pick up the rebounds.

Just my .02, I think Grigorenko is going to end up being the better player, no matter who we take. I think Yakupov is going to go the same ways of Ovechkin. He obviously enjoys the spotlight, and enjoys the media, etc... very similar to OV. Yakupov didn't overly impress me at the WJC. I think the issue with Grogorenko, is his injuries, he has suffered some pretty serious knee related injuries so far, and those tend to stick around for a long time.
Obligatory "whichever the Jackets pick will be worst" post.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:50 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Yakupov=Ovechkin
Grigorenko=Malkin

I prefer Malkin over Ovechkin.

Old
01-24-2012, 03:10 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Yakupov=Ovechkin
Grigorenko=Malkin

I prefer Malkin over Ovechkin.
For the long term, I would too. Ovechkin has shown significant decrease, over the last few years. Even under Dale Hunter his game isn't back to what it was. Teams have just figure out how to stop Ovechkin.

Short term, Yakupov may look like the better option, but in the long run, I think Grigorenko will pan out better, for who ever chooses him. The only thing that scares me about Grigorenko is his injury history.

Closed Thread