HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Thread (Draft Lottery 4/10 8PM on NBC Sports)

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
It seems like players who are centers seem to impact their teams better than wingers.

Recent centers that have been drafted 1st overall were Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, and Nugent-Hopkins. Compare that to Ovechkin, Kane, and Hall.

Personally, though, it's all about character for me. I'd much rather have someone who gets 75 points and is proud to be here as opposed to someone who gets 90 points and is looking to get out of Columbus first chance he gets.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
JacketsFanWest

Filip Forsberg is the darkhorse to enter the Top 3. He didn't have a big showing at the WJC, but he was playing for a very deep Swedish team and didn't get that much ice time. He's also not getting a lot of ice time playing for Leksand in the Swedish Allsvenskan league (second division). Leksand has a pretty good team and they're making a push to move back up to the Elitserien.

Josh Deitell posted a very indepth scouting report based on one game:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=56

Old
01-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

The mock drafts are starting - http://www.rantsports.com/mock-draft...ll-star-break/

Old
01-24-2012, 11:02 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Mocks are going to be boring this year since everyone is going to pick us to take Yakupov.

Old
01-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

In the new TSR scouting report, a lot of you will be surprised. Especially in the top-5

I'll post it here when we're done with it, for you all to check out.

Old
01-25-2012, 10:55 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
In the new TSR scouting report, a lot of you will be surprised. Especially in the top-5

I'll post it here when we're done with it, for you all to check out.
Please do. I am excited to see it. I think Yakupov is an elite talent, I just don't know about him.

Old
01-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
Please do. I am excited to see it. I think Yakupov is an elite talent, I just don't know about him.
I don't think we'll have Yakupov at #1. We do have Filip Forsberg rated fairly high, though, I'm not sure about top-3.

EDIT: That being said, for my money, Yakupov is a dynamic offensive player, and there is a very good chance that he'll be taken #1. We just don't all see it that way :-)

Old
01-25-2012, 02:08 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
I don't think we'll have Yakupov at #1. We do have Filip Forsberg rated fairly high, though, I'm not sure about top-3.

EDIT: That being said, for my money, Yakupov is a dynamic offensive player, and there is a very good chance that he'll be taken #1. We just don't all see it that way :-)
Why?

Old
01-28-2012, 07:45 AM
OilerOlli*

I think Yakupov for Columbus and Grigorenko for Edmonton would fit for both very good.
Columbus would have his second great Winger. Nash for one line and Yakupov for the other Top line. And yu have with Carter and Johansen 2 great Centers in the next years. If Carter stays.
If not you still have Brassard.
Or is Johansen believed to stay as a winger in his career?
Johansen is one of my favourite prospects in the NHL.

And Edmonton would have a 2nd great Center with Grigorenko behind RNH.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

I really wonder how much Alex Galchenyuk would factor into these discussions if he were healthy. By all accounts of people that I keep in touch with from the OHL, he was awful reminiscent of Evgeni Malkin at the same age - most had him ahead of both Yakupov and Grigorenko prior to his injury.

Old
01-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I really wonder how much Alex Galchenyuk would factor into these discussions if he were healthy. By all accounts of people that I keep in touch with from the OHL, he was awful reminiscent of Evgeni Malkin at the same age - most had him ahead of both Yakupov and Grigorenko prior to his injury.
True, but I think everyone's assuming that he would have continued to progress. I have to wonder if Nick Ebert's case, where he was a top-five pick coming into the year and a second-day pick right now, might negatively impact Galchenyuk's value.

Old
01-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
True, but I think everyone's assuming that he would have continued to progress. I have to wonder if Nick Ebert's case, where he was a top-five pick coming into the year and a second-day pick right now, might negatively impact Galchenyuk's value.
TBH, I never even had Ebert in my top-5 defensemen for the draft. That's moot, however...

The idea was similar to the Taylor Hall vs. Tyler Seguin thing of two years ago: Yakupov is better now, Galchenyuk has a higher ceiling projection. Honestly, if the Jackets were to acquire a second first round pick (Carter?), then a guy like Galchenyuk would be a potentially franchise-changing selection. Knee injuries aren't what they used to be - Jared Cowen in Ottawa is a perfect example of that sort of thing.

I thought Yakupov was electrifying at times in the recent WJCs, and it really looks like he's a more high octane version of Taylor Hall. I'm not a big fan of Grigorenko's ... however, there are people who watch him a heck of a lot more than I do, that think he's the best player in the draft. Really, if the Jackets do retain the first overall pick (barring losing the draft lottery, or stringing together wins), it's not as clear cut as everyone is making it out to be. Yes, right now, Nail Yakupov is the "sexy" pick ... but is it the right one for this franchise?

Old
01-29-2012, 10:13 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
TBH, I never even had Ebert in my top-5 defensemen for the draft. That's moot, however...

The idea was similar to the Taylor Hall vs. Tyler Seguin thing of two years ago: Yakupov is better now, Galchenyuk has a higher ceiling projection. Honestly, if the Jackets were to acquire a second first round pick (Carter?), then a guy like Galchenyuk would be a potentially franchise-changing selection. Knee injuries aren't what they used to be - Jared Cowen in Ottawa is a perfect example of that sort of thing.

I thought Yakupov was electrifying at times in the recent WJCs, and it really looks like he's a more high octane version of Taylor Hall. I'm not a big fan of Grigorenko's ... however, there are people who watch him a heck of a lot more than I do, that think he's the best player in the draft. Really, if the Jackets do retain the first overall pick (barring losing the draft lottery, or stringing together wins), it's not as clear cut as everyone is making it out to be. Yes, right now, Nail Yakupov is the "sexy" pick ... but is it the right one for this franchise?
This is the reason why I am not a fan of his draft.

Old
01-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
How cant this be the right pick? We need flat out skill. Everywhere in this lineup. I have no doubts Nail Yakupov would be against playing for Columbus. We split up Nash and Yakupov and you have 2 dangerous lines no matter who they play with for the next 10 years.

Nash Johansen Atkinson
Whoever Brass Yakupov

Old
01-29-2012, 03:57 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
I was in Sarnia last year for a game - didn't have any interest in any particular player and had no idea who either Yakupov or Galchenyuk were at the time. Both had a good game. By mid-second period those were the two guys whose names I knew and was keeping an eye on.

Came away thinking that Yakupov was a better scorer, but Galchenyuk was the better player. Whoever said it's similar to Hall v. Seguin I think hit it on the head. T

Old
01-29-2012, 04:04 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
I'm worried about the Yakupov over-hype machine. People want him to be the next big thing and with all the injuries to top prospects this year, there is no competition other than Grigorenko. He's putting up good numbers, but he's not dominating games. If expectations are that he's going to come in and turn the Jackets around next season, people may end up disappointed.

There's a chance Galchenyuk comes back and plays this year if Sarnia has a long playoff run. That could elevate some fears about his knee injury. Filip Forsberg should have a good showing at the U18s, which would give him more exposure. (Redline has him at #2).

Old
01-29-2012, 05:26 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
How cant this be the right pick? We need flat out skill. Everywhere in this lineup. I have no doubts Nail Yakupov would be against playing for Columbus. We split up Nash and Yakupov and you have 2 dangerous lines no matter who they play with for the next 10 years.

Nash Johansen Atkinson
Whoever Brass Yakupov
Whoever too. And sorry but Grigorenko is better player, similar IMO Forsberg will be better in the future.

If it I would like to see:

Nash--Johansen--Atkinson
xxx--Grigorenko--xxx

Old
01-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I'm worried about the Yakupov over-hype machine. People want him to be the next big thing and with all the injuries to top prospects this year, there is no competition other than Grigorenko. He's putting up good numbers, but he's not dominating games. If expectations are that he's going to come in and turn the Jackets around next season, people may end up disappointed.

There's a chance Galchenyuk comes back and plays this year if Sarnia has a long playoff run. That could elevate some fears about his knee injury. Filip Forsberg should have a good showing at the U18s, which would give him more exposure. (Redline has him at #2).
Spot on with the hype machine comment. I don't dislike Yakupov - I said myself, that he's definitely the "sexy" pick ... but really, if we had to trade down and gain assets to not pick him (say, similar to what Florida did with us in '02), I definitely wouldn't be hurt. For my money, Ryan Murray has franchise defenseman written all over him ... this, IMO, fills a much deeper need than another scoring European winger.

Old
01-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Whoever too. And sorry but Grigorenko is better player, similar IMO Forsberg will be better in the future.

If it I would like to see:

Nash--Johansen--Atkinson
xxx--Grigorenko--xxx
You sure do love to disagree with me. This makes no sense, we have center depth. We WOULD miss out on the sure fire number 1 pick this year.

Old
01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Spot on with the hype machine comment. I don't dislike Yakupov - I said myself, that he's definitely the "sexy" pick ... but really, if we had to trade down and gain assets to not pick him (say, similar to what Florida did with us in '02), I definitely wouldn't be hurt. For my money, Ryan Murray has franchise defenseman written all over him ... this, IMO, fills a much deeper need than another scoring European winger.
In your opinion, Murray is the best overall defenseman prospect since....(in reverse chronology)

- Adam Larsson
- Victor Hedman
- Drew Doughty
- Erik Johnson
- Jay Bouwmeester
- Rostislav Klesla
- Berard or Redden
- Jovanovski or Tverdovsky
- Chris Pronger

Covering the 20 drafts from 1993-2012, I think that's everyone who was ever described as a "franchise defenseman" coming in. I remember the drafts and the reports on most of them, so maybe I should have ranked them as prospects according to my recollection. In that case, if I remember correctly...
- Pronger, E. Johnson, Hedman, Jovanovski or Tverdovsky, Doughty, Larsson, Bouwmeester, Berard or Redden, Klesla?

Old
01-29-2012, 10:58 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

I will say this a million times before draft day... this organization is not in a position to make decisions based on needs. There's a lack of core talent in every facet of the game. Murray might be the more "sure thing" but if one of the Russians has higher upside, we're obligated to choose them. Leaving superior talent on the table shouldn't be part of the new paradigm.

Old
01-30-2012, 02:18 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Im surprised there is so much fervor for drafting a Russian on this board. Im an Oiler fan and personally, I would much rather have Dumba or Murray for our team. I would think after Filatov and Zherdev, there would be much more opposition to drafting another Russian with a high pick for you guys.

Old
01-30-2012, 08:44 AM
blahblah

Since the math dictates we have to win out to have any chance, this is what we get to entertain ourselves with the rest of the season? Well this and trying to get people fired?

This is shaping up to be a long 9 months.

Either way, I'll be happy with the #1 or #2 pick. Edmonton seems determined to catch us. If we start winning, I can't say that would excite me at this point.

Interesting conversation. Looks like we have a lot of options, but I doubt we trade back if we have the #1 pick unless the deal is just too impressive not to.

Old
01-30-2012, 08:48 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Im surprised there is so much fervor for drafting a Russian on this board.
Last I checked there was a debate with little to indicate a fervor. Honestly, the attention is NHL wide and not limited to these boards.

Old
01-30-2012, 09:23 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
You sure do love to disagree with me. This makes no sense, we have center depth. We WOULD miss out on the sure fire number 1 pick this year.
No, I only disagree with overrated Brassard in our roster when we can trade him for a value who is more important for us than this player. I counted with Carter trade too.

Closed Thread