HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Anton Strålman (1 year, $900K)

Old
10-30-2011, 04:22 AM
Superstar Carwash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
He is supposed to sign in the near future, according to a "source" to Aftonbladet.

http://mobil.aftonbladet.se/sportbla...cle13859294.ab
Yeah, and this is coming from Per Bjurman, who's covering NHL and lives in New York. He watches a whole lot of games at the Garden and he's got good connections so I would safely assume that Strålman will be signed "soon".

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiva View Post
Yeah, and this is coming from Per Bjurman, who's covering NHL and lives in New York. He watches a whole lot of games at the Garden and he's got good connections so I would safely assume that Strålman will be signed "soon".
Yeah, unless a better option occur. I am sure Slats is working the phones.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:28 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The Rangers last night were waiting to learn whether free-agent defenseman Anton Stralman would accept the team's contract offer. Stralman, who did not receive a contract offer from the Devils after going through training camp with the club, has been in Sweden the last two weeks, so he would not be immediately available even if he signs.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1cGqqRmgH

Stralman is probably the Rangers best option. The trade market for a top 4 D is non-existent. Even getting a stop gap guy in a trade is tough. Salary. Contract. The Rangers can't add significant dollars without shedding significant dollars. Even if they could the dollars this season,the term of the contract is an issue with the CBA expiring. Bettman is going to offer a 50-50 revenue split to the PA. Cap is going down in the new CBA.

The Rangers are doomed without Staal.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:00 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*

Defense?

Is there is a move on defense coming with erixon being sent down to the whale? Thoughts? maybe stralman decided to sign?

bluecollarblueshirt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Why wouldn't he sign? Doubt he'd be offered much more than what we'd give him, even in Europe.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 05:18 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
What about McCabe? He must come at a real cheap price now (under the Souray contract - who btw has been excellent so far in Dallas - I wanted him signed for cheap & read my previous posts in July here - not that it matters...). Souray signed for $1.65M. I expect McCabe to be around $1,3M at this point, better option than Strålman imo... buck for production/experience wise imo...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
What about McCabe? He must come at a real cheap price now (under the Souray contract - who btw has been excellent so far in Dallas - I wanted him signed for cheap & read my previous posts in July here - not that it matters...). Souray signed for $1.65M. I expect McCabe to be around $1,3M at this point, better option than Strålman imo... buck for production/experience wise imo...
too old and much rather have a younger player on defense..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:36 PM
ThisYearsModel

Isn't Anton Stralman another d-man that will be chewed up and spit out by J. Torts? Christian Backman part 2?

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:43 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I thought we agreed we would never speak of Christian Backman, Sandis Ozolinsh, Marek Malik (unless referring to "The Goal"), Wade Redden, Matt Gilroy, Tom Poti, or Aaron Ward ever again?

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
too old and much rather have a younger player on defense..
We had a younger player on defense in Erixon. He couldnt handle NHL minutes, so how is that helpful?

Not saying McCabe is the solution, but this is the wrong way to look at the situation. You need a guy that can play minutes at this level right now.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Should have just signed paul mara.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Wasn't a big fan of McCabe last season, but id take him over Woywitka and Eminger at this point. At least he can shoot the puck.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Wasn't a big fan of McCabe last season, but id take him over Woywitka and Eminger at this point. At least he can shoot the puck.
Completely agree. I'd rather have McCabe than Woywitka assuming the price is the same

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Yeah.

And honestly, id rather McCabe then Stralman, too.

Let Woywitka and Eminger rotate as #7.

McDonagh. Girardi
Del Zotto. Sauer
McCabe. Eminger
Woywitka

Worth a look.

Doesn't work out, cut him.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:56 AM
Ola

He could be on a plane to NY to sign the papers any time now...

...but I am not sold on it. Strålman is a special kid (very stubborn) for good and for bad. I wouldn't be suprised if we soon received news that Strålman had had it with the NHL and is going KHL/SEL. I personally think thats stupid, you go the NHL route untill you have nothing else. Strålman still has offers and would be guaranteed a chance to play.

As regards all concerns (Bäckman II). First of all, he is much more Gilroy II if anything. But anyway, I think all concerns raised are legit. I still wouldn't mind the signing, for the following reasons:

-Strålman is good at moving the puck and has a good first pass. We all know that we need that, or that we atleast just have enough of D's who pretty much suck in that era (JW and co).

-Strålmans career has been a mess so far. With that said, he has played for Toronto and Columbus durnig times when they were bottom 3-5 franchises. Its just not good to develop young D's in that environment.

Facts are that for a D, 95% of the game is about doing the small plays shift after shift after shift. I mean, a forward can make like 5-10 half bonehead plays in the attacking zone in a game, but if he makes 2 awesome plays -- people can come away impressed from a game. For a D, nobody remembers 5 great plays if he fails the clear the puck 3 times in a game. Thats how it should be. But my point is that a D really really really needs to be able to put it all together, or it won't work.

Strålman is NOT a hopeless project like a Enver Lisin. I think he is much more like a Lauri Korpikoski if you get what I mean, but due to the fact that he has not been able to put it all together, while being really exposed only playing for bottom 3-5 teams basically all of his career, it might sound like he is more of a mess than he is.

-We risk nothing, and get a back up for MDZ and Erixon. I especially think Erixon needs time. I think he is very poised in many sitautions, but as soon as he gets out of position you can see that he still is very young. He needs to add weight and become a better skater to be perfectly honest.

And what happends if MDZ gets nailed against SJ and misses a couple of months? Who is than going to be our NR 1 offenive D? Lol, we are extremely thin as it is.

-We risk nothing.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Raymones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
He could be on a plane to NY to sign the papers any time now...

...but I am not sold on it. Strålman is a special kid (very stubborn) for good and for bad. I wouldn't be suprised if we soon received news that Strålman had had it with the NHL and is going KHL/SEL. I personally think thats stupid, you go the NHL route untill you have nothing else. Strålman still has offers and would be guaranteed a chance to play.

As regards all concerns (Bäckman II). First of all, he is much more Gilroy II if anything. But anyway, I think all concerns raised are legit. I still wouldn't mind the signing, for the following reasons:

-Strålman is good at moving the puck and has a good first pass. We all know that we need that, or that we atleast just have enough of D's who pretty much suck in that era (JW and co).

-Strålmans career has been a mess so far. With that said, he has played for Toronto and Columbus durnig times when they were bottom 3-5 franchises. Its just not good to develop young D's in that environment.

Facts are that for a D, 95% of the game is about doing the small plays shift after shift after shift. I mean, a forward can make like 5-10 half bonehead plays in the attacking zone in a game, but if he makes 2 awesome plays -- people can come away impressed from a game. For a D, nobody remembers 5 great plays if he fails the clear the puck 3 times in a game. Thats how it should be. But my point is that a D really really really needs to be able to put it all together, or it won't work.

Strålman is NOT a hopeless project like a Enver Lisin. I think he is much more like a Lauri Korpikoski if you get what I mean, but due to the fact that he has not been able to put it all together, while being really exposed only playing for bottom 3-5 teams basically all of his career, it might sound like he is more of a mess than he is.

-We risk nothing, and get a back up for MDZ and Erixon. I especially think Erixon needs time. I think he is very poised in many sitautions, but as soon as he gets out of position you can see that he still is very young. He needs to add weight and become a better skater to be perfectly honest.

And what happends if MDZ gets nailed against SJ and misses a couple of months? Who is than going to be our NR 1 offenive D? Lol, we are extremely thin as it is.

-We risk nothing.
Add to that that he played quite well for Columbus before his sinus problems started, which really hampered him. Strålman, IMO, has loads of talent and always performed well with the National Team. He has potential for sure, and as you say, there is no risk for the Rangers in signing him. I hope this is true.

Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
blueshirtbolt

dreger reporting 1 year 1 way contract offer still on table. Like this offer. Move woywitka to whale

blueshirtbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:18 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm for it. They need another guy who can move the puck up the ice back there.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
I thought we agreed we would never speak of Christian Backman, Sandis Ozolinsh, Marek Malik (unless referring to "The Goal"), Wade Redden, Matt Gilroy, Tom Poti, or Aaron Ward ever again?
Marek Malik is far too maligned. He was a competent defensive partner for Rosival for a couple of years before falling off the map.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:35 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
You forgot Rod Seiling, Gilles Marotte, Barry Beck, Mark Tinordi and Eric Cairns

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I wonder what the holdup is with Stralman. Does he want more money?

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
The longer he holds out, the less he has to work for the same contract.

Screw him. We've got Woywitka.

11-01-2011, 12:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. The longer he waits, the harder it will be for him play any games. Maybe he feels he would be a #7 right now and fears being sent down to the AHL once Staal comes back or at mid-season when the Rangers may want to bring up someone like Valentenko, Erixon, etc.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post

he must be trying to get more money which is dumb. Take the one way NHL contract dummy.....Woywitka is a spare till Staal gets back

Can Eminger and Stralman both righties work on the 3rd pair?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post

contract would be pro-rated and he'd only get paid for the % of the year he is playing. if we are offering him $1 mil right now, 2 months from now he isn't gonna still get $1 mil for 2 months less of playing time

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote