HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Anton Strålman (1 year, $900K)

Old
11-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Nich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Kind of rather have Emminger sit with how Woywitka has been playing. He's mostly been solid and even if he's a bit slow, he hasn't been exposed any more than Emminger has
100 agree. Emminger should sit a game

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Vitto79

again not official but will be i am sure

Update: 10:17PM:

One important distinction re: Stralman. He has agreed to terms, not officially signed yet. Still in Sweden, I'm told #NYR
8 minutes ago via webReplyRetweetFavorite
@KatieStrangESPN
Katie Strang

Update: 10:13PM: Andrew Gross tweets that John Tortorella says that the Rangers are talking with Stralman but things aren’t finalized.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
100 agree. Emminger should sit a game
also Stralman hasnt played a game for a while right? Does he not needs some Torts practice time?

Old
11-03-2011, 09:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why? It puts Woywitka in his proper role -- #7 and an injury fill-in.
Because I don't see Stralman as anything other than a number 7 and an injury fill-in.

I know you hate him, but Woywitka has been fine.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Kind of rather have Emminger sit with how Woywitka has been playing. He's mostly been solid and even if he's a bit slow, he hasn't been exposed any more than Emminger has
Same. Eminger looks like crap to start the season - then again, he did this last year, and played very well down the stretch.

For now, however, I think we could use Strålman's passing ability from the D.

Alvvays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Because I don't see Stralman as anything other than a number 7 and an injury fill-in.

atleast there is a battle for time now. They are not rushing Erixon as well. He may come back after the All Star game. Lets hope he crushes the AHL

Old
11-03-2011, 10:03 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:

I don't hate Woywitka. I hate Woywitka as an every day player. He's not that at all.

Stralman is definitely better than Woywitka. I mean, it's pretty cut and dry.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

This doesn't make us any better, but it prevents us from becoming worse in the case of another injury.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Girardi's ice time is not going to go down because they signed someone to play on the 3rd pair. The top three (Girardi, McDonagh and Sauer) are going to continue to pull major minutes and the Eminger will continue to get around 16 minutes . If Stralman can provide some offense and can play well in the defensive zone, maybe Del Zotto's ice time goes down a little.

Over all, this move is not going to change much. But, that's assuming Stralman can play up to Tortorella's standards....

Anyone know if it's a one way contract?
Well, the hope is that Stralman can make Tortorella more confident in the third pair... upping their minutes to give the other guys more of a break. Whether or not that actually happens remains to be seen, though.

It was a one-way offer, I don't see why it wouldn't be a one-way contract.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:23 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Eh, I'll allow it. Gives us some additional depth, plus he could help the 2nd PP Unit.

Low risk, Medium reward.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't hate Woywitka. I hate Woywitka as an every day player. He's not that at all.

Stralman is definitely better than Woywitka. I mean, it's pretty cut and dry.
Earlier you said Woywitka is horrible and belongs in the AHL. Now it's just that he's not an every day player?

Everything is always cut and dry for you. Black and white. Matter of fact. That's not how I see things.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:27 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

I'm indifferent to this to be honest. I just freaking want Staal back.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

Quote:
Earlier you said Woywitka is horrible and belongs in the AHL. Now it's just that he's not an every day player?

Everything is always cut and dry for you. Black and white. Matter of fact. That's not how I see things.
You don't see it that way because things always aren't black and white or cut and dry.

If everything was that way then life would be MUCH simpler and tough situations would not exist because there is always a clear choice or path.

Woywitka, Eminger and Stralman situation is not cut and dry.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Stralman
Woywitka - Eminger

Nothing wrong with defensive depth.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:05 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:

Woywitka is horrible. How many #7 d-men or 14th forwards are not horrible?

You see things your own way. I look at Woywitka and see a guy who has been abandoned by a number of teams because he sucks. I am OK with using him as a last resort player (either due to cap constraints or injuries). That's fine.

He should be a press box hero or in the AHL. He should not see ice time with this team as it is right now. Stralman is better than him by a fair bit and better than Bell by a fair bit.

You have some strange attachment to Woywitka. Maybe you think he's a nice guy. Maybe you see potential since he was once a first round pick (even though every team gets rid of him). I look at him as a guy who can and should be upgraded as soon as possible. I don't want a star bottom pairing player. But I want someone who I can trust a bit more than Jeff ****ing Woywitka. One of the worst d-men currently on a NHL roster.

My MO here is upgrading the team. I want to see the team upgraded whenever possible. Whenever feasible. Signing Stralman should be an upgrade. If not? We have MDZ in the minors. We have Parlett in the minors. ****, we still have Woywitka right now, too. Stralman is a no-risk, decent upside move. Woywitka was a no risk, no upside move. I'll take the former. If he doesn't work out, get rid of him. Not like we couldn't waive him. Not like we gave up assets for him.

Keep an open mind and hope that this is an upgrade for the team. Our team has far too much potential to need to rely on Woywitka as a #6 d-man right now. He is barely adequate as a #7 or injury call-up.

We have enough defensive d-men. We need someone else who can move the puck. Woywitka plays hot potato with it all the time (still no idea how he actually scored a goal since he's usually so terrified to handle the puck). If Stralman is good at anything, it's puck movement. And he's not much worse than Woywitka is in his own end.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:12 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Woywitka still sucks, his one goal he'll score on the year doesn't change that. Straalman will be good for the PP too.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Dale Purinton was horrible. Jeff Woywitka is lightyears ahead of that. I think you're far too liberal in your usage of the word horrible.

I have no attachment to Woywitka. I don't really care about him either way. I feel compelled to defend players from unjustified criticism, which is what I'm doing here.

I have a very open mind. I'm not opposed to the Stralman signing, as you can see in any of my posts in this thread. I just don't think it does much for us. I don't think the additional offense Stralman may bring will offset the downgrade in defense from Woywitka (which I happen to believe is fairly substantial). I'd love to be wrong though.

Like I said, it's a "meh" move. We'll see how it works out.

Old
11-03-2011, 11:28 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Given the team's position with Staal out, I can't see how signing any such player, especially for under $1MM, is anything other than a smart move. Worst case, he sucks and we're just back to where we were beforehand. Best case, he makes good on the promise he once had and you catch lightning in a bottle. I'll take anything along that continuum.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:55 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Not holding my breath on this one.

Not the most capable option in his own end, as of last I watched him.

But for the price, why not.
No, he's not very good defensively. Think of him, however, as Christian Backman if Christian Backman was a bad defensive player, rather than one of the worst defensive players and most nervous puckhandlers you've ever seen at the NHL level. An adventure in his own zone, but not a nightmare, and occasionally tantalizing in the offensive zone.

Also, the way they've played this season, I think Woywitka should dress over Eminger. Eminger is solid some games, terrible in others. Woywitka has been consistent. He's adequate, nothing more, given the Staal injury.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 04:55 AM
bonecracker

I think Stralman helps the Rangers. Helps both on PP and moving puck up the ice, which helps open up ice for the forwards. Defensively we will see, he has not played for great teams so far in his short NHL career so this change may fix the plus minus category. He gives the Rangers a Dman they can use upwards of 15 minutes(including PP time) a game which lessens the load on the rest of Dmen. Sure a low risk acquisition for the price. Would not be surprised if he grabs some first powerplay time down the road as well, since they are not to deep in puck moving dmen.

bonecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 05:45 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Haven't read to much about him, when can he play his first game ??

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:14 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Kind of meh. He will really needs to pick up his offensive game to balance out his defensive deficiencies. Especially against physical opponents (ie division rivals which we have 23 games left against). But I am willing to be impartial and give him the benefit of the doubt. For now

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 06:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Woywitka is not horrible. He is a 6th/7th D. He is what he is. Depth at a good price.

Quote:
Tortorella said he’s seen improvement in Woywitka’s game and in his understanding of the Rangers’ structure, something they’ve worked hard with Woywitka on during practice, particularly odd-man rushes and zone coverages.

“He can pass the puck, he can get you out of your end zone,” Tortorella said. “It’d be great to get him in better shape. That’s tough to do during the season.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r..._and_stralman/

Quote:
Woywitka envisions battling Anton Stralman for ice time. Torts says Woywitka "can pass the puck, good teammate, he's going to improve."
http://twitter.com/#!/stevezipay/sta...80713063047168

Woywitka is a good teammate. You need some character guys on the team. Dubinsky tweeted a few days ago about driving back to the city from practice with Woywitka and Wolski. Woywitka said MDZ was showing him around New York.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 07:50 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Dale Purinton was horrible. Jeff Woywitka is lightyears ahead of that. I think you're far too liberal in your usage of the word horrible.

I have no attachment to Woywitka. I don't really care about him either way. I feel compelled to defend players from unjustified criticism, which is what I'm doing here.

I have a very open mind. I'm not opposed to the Stralman signing, as you can see in any of my posts in this thread. I just don't think it does much for us. I don't think the additional offense Stralman may bring will offset the downgrade in defense from Woywitka (which I happen to believe is fairly substantial). I'd love to be wrong though.

Like I said, it's a "meh" move. We'll see how it works out.
No, Dale was REALLY horrible. Woywitka is just horrible.

Old
11-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

As far as I know this will almost certainly be true, but has not been completed yet.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote