HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Anton Strålman (1 year, $900K)

Old
11-04-2011, 08:23 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
What is wrong with some competition? Also what would be wrong with playing Stralman against a team like the Habs and Woywitka against a team like Philly? The (2) teams bring very different things to the ice and both can get the job done in their own end.

I think this is more an insurance policy. Look what happened to Vancouver last year. You need depth and for just money, it's a good move.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I like Strålman. I hope Torts does.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:41 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I like Strålman. I hope Torts does.
I like that you used the å.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Levitate

All those rumors about Sather calling Burke were probably actually just Sather asking Burke's opinion on Stralman, not asking whether Franson was available

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I like that you used the å.
Copy and paste.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
What is wrong with some competition? Also what would be wrong with playing Stralman against a team like the Habs and Woywitka against a team like Philly? The (2) teams bring very different things to the ice and both can get the job done in their own end.

I think this is more an insurance policy. Look what happened to Vancouver last year. You need depth and for just money, it's a good move.
I agree with your general point, though I disagree that Stralman can get the job done in his own end. The Stralman I remember is pretty rough defensively.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:59 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

stralman is another euro dman who will bring back visions of marek malik and chritian backman.

hes better offensively then hes given credit for. he skates very well and can move the puck- which we need.

however, hes slightly below averge defensively and is prone to bouts of extreme softness with a few wtf plays sprinkled in.

kinda like the swedish equivelent of mike blowszy

not the anton i would have preferred actually but this guy hopefully will be a bridge from our current 3rd pair to staal when ever he returns.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I agree with your general point, though I disagree that Stralman can get the job done in his own end. The Stralman I remember is pretty rough defensively.
Would say he's below average, whereas Woywitka is about average. Not too much of a difference.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Passable I would say. Christian Backman played for the Rangers a couple of seasons ago, he was terribad. Stralman is for sure better than him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Well, he had a great first game for me in NHL12 last night with 2 assists!

Seriously though, I think we're seeing, once again, someone who makes the lineup a little more versatile. Does he make the team worlds better? Not at all. But depth and versatility for the bottom parts of the lineup never hurt anyone.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:07 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Passable I would say. Christian Backman played for the Rangers a couple of seasons ago, he was terribad. Stralman is for sure better than him.
Like I mentioned on the previous page, I have never seen a player in the NHL handle the puck or react and make decisions accordingly in his own zone the way Christian Backman did. And this is coming from an avowed lover of Swedish hockey and Swedish hockey players. I don't hide my belief that in general, I think Swedes are the best-prepared and most fundamentally sound players, but Backman was a different breed. It was incredible. There are players where, when they have the puck in their own zone, you always get a feeling in the pit of your stomach, but never like with Backman. If he didn't cough up a golden scoring opportunity, it was an accomplishment.

Stralman is not that kind of terrible defensively. He won't make you happy, but this team's goaltender and team defense allows them to dress a player or two who are lacking in that respect as long as they help the team's weakness. This team's biggest weakness is passing, and Stralman will most certainly help in that regard.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
stralman is another euro dman who will bring back visions of marek malik and chritian backman.
Lets be serious here, the above is quite possbile lol (IE a Gilroy II type of performance).

But, lets also keep our thumbs crossed because Strålman is in a sense not without potential. He is a special, very stubborn, kid who for stretches during his career has played really good hockey. When he broke through in the SEL and for the Swedish National team, he wasn't just making great plays on the ice. He took on a really big role and played well in every single facet of the game. In itself, that shows that he has some gods in him for sure.

He is coming to NY because he really wants to take this last shot he will get in NY (while doing so turning down a boat load of rubels).

I guess odds are that he might not at all work out in NY. Its questionable how big of a chance he will get and so forth. He has just struggled somewhat for a long time in the NHL now and his confidence just has not been there. But I would lie if I did not say that there might be a big upside on this kid.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Leetch3

it would be nice if he could help the pp so richards and del zotto don't have to play the full 2:00...but it will most likely end up like with gilroy. he'll be brought in to 'help' the pp and then will watch the pp from the bench while torts uses richards, del zotto, girardi and mcdonagh on the points...

his career +/- excites me though

Leetch3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Gatorade*

Stralman can be very good. It remains to be seen if Torts will let him spread his wings. Torts stifles certain players with his system and focus on the forecheck.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:40 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Stralman can be very good. It remains to be seen if Torts will let him spread his wings. Torts stifles certain players with his system and focus on the forecheck.
I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Having Stralman on the ice will provide another option on the power play and give each pairing a d man who has some kind of offensive abilities. I'm not sure what kind of shot he has but if e knows how to get the pick to the net from the point the. That is a positive. If anything he gives the rangers another tool to work with which can only be a plus. If it doesn't work out then we are right back where we are. Low risk, high reward in my book

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:47 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
No, he doesn't.

He demands discipline and responsibility.

Has it prevented Gaborik from being as dangerous as he was last night? Or Callahan? Or McDonagh? Or Richards?

The "system" is more proactive then people let on. Its about forcing the opponent to make mistakes. Which not only becomes effective if the players score on the opportunities it creates, but it also wears out the opponent physically and mentally, and contains the opponents top players.

The payers that have the ability and mentality to play at the NHL level and accept to learn and adapt, can be successful in this kind of "system". Im not breaking down the nuances of the system right now. But the reason why Zuccarello's aren't playing in NYC right now, isn't because of a system. Its because they can't skate a regular shift in the league.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:53 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The "system" specifically calls for defensemen to proactively jump into the play.

F1 force puck to one side, F2 support, F3 high and there for turn over, D1 attacks, F covers.

Man on man, box out in defensive zone, force puck to our strong side in neutral zone.

We aren't preventing offensive attack.

But we do need to maintain responsibility.

Last night was textbook. And in no way did it prevent an attack.

Hiller was outstanding.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Gils Marotte

It would have been SWEET had Fowler's turnover at the end of OT been converted by McDonaugh. Oh well, next time.

Stralman, or anybody, is a step up over Eminger.

Gils Marotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:29 PM
IAMREALITY
HFBoards Sponsor

So amusing reading through this thread and all the negatives about him, backman 2.0, sucks, horrible,blahzay blahzay blah, from people who I'd bet money on don't really know a damn thing about him and are just being negobuttheads cause they think that's how they're supposed to react to this news. So obvious that some members are replying based on knee jerk ignorance.

Speaking of betting though; how bout this: I'll bet the first true taker a hundred bucks that Anton makes our blueline better and that we, as a fan base overall, will be pleasantly surprised in his play and that he'll make his detractors look stupid. Seriously. Hundred bucks that a month or two from now we'll be loving him and convinced we got a steal. Anyone up for a real bet?

Love this signing. No risk, almost no money, huge potential upside, and another Swede. LGR!

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:46 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Still not officially done yet.

AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Anton Stralman contract with Rangers not expected to be finalized/announced today.
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

11-04-2011, 12:46 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by x GBISH x View Post
Is he right handed?
Yes, he is. Look at the pic here. Thus Woywitka is not affected, plus Jeff is 1st rounder as opposed to Stralman 6th. Eminger would go to 7D where he was last season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Str%C3%A5lman

Last edited by 94now: 11-04-2011 at 12:59 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:21 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Anyone else think we may be looking at a bandaid solution to "The Marc Staal Situation" this season by bringing in another Left D (especially if Staal is on longterm IR) as well? Via trade or signing (would be McCabe then I guess ). Not saying Staal will be out too long (the news recently was not encouraging though) but now we might not see him well into 2012 - if at all this season. Strålman is Right D... so imo this signing does not solve the lingering weakness on left D (esp if Staal is out long term)...

McD - Girardi
XX/MDZ - Sauer
MDZ/XX - Strålman
Wojwitka/Eminger (we could keep both actually and have 13 healthy fwds activated)

I know Tim Erixon is in the wings too. That might be an option 2nd half of the year (a la McD last year)...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:29 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Anyone else think we may be looking at a bandaid solution to "The Marc Staal Situation" this season by bringing in another Left D (especially if Staal is on longterm IR) as well? Via trade or signing (would be McCabe then I guess ). Not saying Staal will be out too long (the news recently was not encouraging though) but now we might not see him well into 2012 - if at all this season. Strålman is Right D... so imo this signing does not solve the lingering weakness on left D (esp if Staal is out long term)...

McD - Girardi
XX/MDZ - Sauer
MDZ/XX - Strålman
Wojwitka/Eminger (we could keep both actually and have 13 healthy fwds activated)

I know Tim Erixon is in the wings too. That might be an option 2nd half of the year (a la McD last year)...
Although we have depth at LD position (add Valentenko to the list ), Staal is not replaceable.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Although we have depth at LD position (add Valentenko to the list ), Staal is not replaceable.
Valentenko will never play a real game for the Rangers.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:38 PM
egelband

number 6...gonna make us forget milo horava

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote