HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Sullivan's performance so far.

Old
10-25-2011, 10:30 AM
wej20

vCash: 500
Plus without Malkin and Crosby last year the PP looked absolutely dire, Sullivan has actually made it look threatening.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Fogel
Analytics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Plus without Malkin and Crosby last year the PP looked absolutely dire, Sullivan has actually made it look threatening.
Yep, w/o Crosby and Malkin, it was ~14%.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestRussian71 View Post
Sully is fast as hell and almost scores a lot. He passes the puck a little too much. He really needs to start scoring to gain some confidence. There was a crazy stat I heard about the pens power play when malkin is in the lineup, not surprising, but it is like 30% better with him. I just haven't been impressed with sully. Don't be ignorant and claim I don't know hockey or watch games because I have a different opinion. I am crazy for wanting a top 6 forward to do better than 175th in the league in points; and tied for 13th with vitale/michalek
6 x 30 = 180. Add a few #1 d-men and you see that 175th is not an unreasonable number. Not all of every team's top-6 forwards can be above average top-6 forwards. That said, Sully's numbers will be above average once he gets off his cold streak. Once he gets hot, you'll be praising him like everyone's drooling over James Neal right now.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
BestRussian71*

I am not saying he was a bad signing. I'd rather have sully than tangradi out there. All I said is that he simply isn't producing.3 points 10 games in is a joke when he gets loads of pp time and plays with neal.

I hope he starts executing on some of his many prime scoring opporunities.

I've made my point, I had no intention of getting under anyones skins. I feel like a liberal who criticized bush in the early 2000's; if you don't agree you are not a patriot and you should move out of the country.

Go pens, it'd be great to just beat the hell out of the isles.

BestRussian71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:41 AM
JTG

Quote:
I am not saying he was a bad signing. I'd rather have sully than tangradi out there. All I said is that he simply isn't producing.3 points 10 games in is a joke when he gets loads of pp time and plays with neal.

I've made my point, I had no intention of getting under anyones skins. I feel like a liberal who criticized bush in the early 2000's; if you don't agree you are not a patriot and you should move out of the country.

Do you watch games dude?

Sullivan has been great. The points will come.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

That's the problem though. I know some posters can throw in personal jabs as responses, but you are making it easy. Like I said in my last post, it's totally cool to have a different opinion than the consensus, but you better back up that opinion with rational and logical arguments rather than quoting the stat sheet that we are all aware of. You could say something like "he's weak along the boards and isn't good at winning puck battles". That at least shows you have watched the games.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Xavier Laflamme

Quote:

You're even more dumb if you thought Sullivan was brought here to be a PPG player..he was here to be a complimentary role player to guys like Sid and Malkin, and help out on the PP...He's clearly done the latter thus far..unfortunately due to injuries we haven't seen what he can do with Malkin and Sid yet...although he has shown instant chemistry with Malkin which has been seemingly difficult through the years with him.

For $1.5M a season and adjusting to a brand new system on the fly..I'm not sure what more you could have reasonably expected...

If you're going to unjustifiably troll..why don't you start whining about how your man crush can't seem to stay healthy? Really earning that $8.7M a year, eh?

Xavier Laflamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:45 PM
BestRussian71*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalkinX View Post
You're even more dumb if you thought Sullivan was brought here to be a PPG player..he was here to be a complimentary role player to guys like Sid and Malkin, and help out on the PP...He's clearly done the latter thus far..unfortunately due to injuries we haven't seen what he can do with Malkin and Sid yet...although he has shown instant chemistry with Malkin which has been seemingly difficult through the years with him.

For $1.5M a season and adjusting to a brand new system on the fly..I'm not sure what more you could have reasonably expected...

If you're going to unjustifiably troll..why don't you start whining about how your man crush can't seem to stay healthy? Really earning that $8.7M a year, eh?
I never expected him to put up a ppg. But you seem quite content with him averaging like 20 points over a season. I was expecting like 40 points from him.

No doubt, malkin hasnt earned his contract the last 2+ seasons. There is nothing I can say to defend him besides the old he has played with fringe nhl players or its not his fault he has had so many injuries.

BestRussian71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I think he's been fine. Makes good plays, creates space, and can actually carry the puck into the zone on the PP which seems to be some lost art for this team.

I would love to see him putting up more points, of course, but it's no big deal.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
I never expected him to put up a ppg. But you seem quite content with him averaging like 20 points over a season. I was expecting like 40 points from him.

No doubt, malkin hasnt earned his contract the last 2+ seasons. There is nothing I can say to defend him besides the old he has played with fringe nhl players or its not his fault he has had so many injuries.
Extrapolating a small sample size to an entire season is senseless.

Is Eric Staal going to score 41 points this season? Dummy up.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

Reminds me of Neal after he came over. I have never seen a player look so ggood and dominate so much and not have the statistical data to show for it as Neal at the end of last year. Remember when Staal had seven short handed goals in his rookie year? Staal is good on the PK, but that year everything just aligned and everything went in. I doubt he ever gets close to that number again. Neal last year, Sullivan this, is the opposite. Everything is there to see with anyone with eyes and the ability to process what they see, you know that eventually the stats will catch up like they did with Neal.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post

you mean James Neal isn't going to score 65 goals 8 Assists 73 points this season?

Old
10-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
you mean James Neal isn't going to score 65 goals 8 Assists 73 points this season?
I have a lingering doubt about Kessel cracking 90 goals and 150 points too.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Xavier Laflamme

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Reminds me of Neal after he came over. I have never seen a player look so ggood and dominate so much and not have the statistical data to show for it as Neal at the end of last year. Remember when Staal had seven short handed goals in his rookie year? Staal is good on the PK, but that year everything just aligned and everything went in. I doubt he ever gets close to that number again. Neal last year, Sullivan this, is the opposite. Everything is there to see with anyone with eyes and the ability to process what they see, you know that eventually the stats will catch up like they did with Neal.
Quote:
Came to argue the same thing but you guys already beat me to it..

I think this guy enjoys mind ****ing himself

Old
10-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I think you mean Jagr, who jags6868 assures me despite the slow start will score exactly those numbers.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:29 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I think you mean Jagr, who jags6868 assures me despite the slow start will score exactly those numbers.
...and that's only if he plays half the year

Old
10-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Xavier Laflamme

Quote:
I can't believe how far Kovalchuk fell..will this guy ever even come close to another 30 goal season again? Through the 6 games he's played so far..the stat page tells me no...

Old
10-25-2011, 02:41 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalkinX View Post
I can't believe how far Kovalchuk fell..will this guy ever even come close to another 30 goal season again? Through the 6 games he's played so far..the stat page tells me no...
He's like James Neal in the way he scores. He only needs a short period of time to rack up insane goal totals.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Sullivan has been great so far.

Is it really too much to ask for, though, that we hold up with the whole "OMG HE HSNUT SCORED, WAI WE NO TRADE STAAL/Fleury/Malkin/Crosby FOR WINGER!!!111oneoneeleven" threads untill we see a healthy team and a healthy amount of games to judge from?

Alot of what i'm reading could be copy paste from last season post neal trade, when he wasn't putting up points.
He's good, watch the games, don't read the stats.
Stats lie. sort of.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Til the End of Time

My only concern with Sullivan, aside from the obvious durability issues, is how he plays come playoffs. He does his best work with a lot of room (ie powerplay), so how will he fare come tight-checking playoff games?

I think Nashville fans said he was good in the playoffs, though. Is that right?

Overall he's been a very nice signing.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

17 points in 44 playoff games. I can't speak to his play because I don't pay much attention to Nashville.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:28 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
17 points in 44 playoff games. I can't speak to his play because I don't pay much attention to Nashville.
he hasn't got much experience of going deep in the playoffs but I'm not too worried about his numbers as hopefully we'll have both Sid and Geno for him to play with come playoff time.

Old
10-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Sullivan was brought in to be a complimentary player, not as a guy who the offense was built around. And that's how he's performed thus far. He's added an extra skill guy to the lineup, and has been doing his share of creating chances.

And as for this ridiculous "he's only on pace for 20 points" garbage, this is such a small sample size that even a single point can swing these "prorated stats" in dramatically. Maybe if he's only still on pace for 20 points at around the 70 game mark, it might be a valid argument to make. But for now, the best way to judge how well he's done is to actually watch what he does each game, not what his boxscore says.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
JTG

I don't give a rat's ass about Sullivan's numbers. I care about what he can bring to the powerplay. That's all I'm concerned about, and thus far he's helped that unit 10 fold.

Old
10-25-2011, 11:50 PM
SID87BORG

I am satisfied with his play so far. Guy just can't buy a goal right now, but hopefully he gets his due sooner rather than later!

SID87BORG is offline   Reply With Quote