Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets lose 2-1

Old
10-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Prot

vCash: 500
Well it seems pretty safe to say, that on this forum at least, the Buff going "O" or staying "D" or getting traded is going to be an ongoing hot button for a loooong time.

Personally, I'd be surprised if a trade resulted.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
Quite frankly if Byfuglien is unwilling to become a defensively responsible Dman then he should be traded. All the "Buff to forward" talk is dependent on him remaining a liability at the back end, which at the moment he is consistently game in, game out.
That's my biggest gripe. He's being paid upon the contingent that he would be an offensive threat. At the money he's being given he has zero right to say he'll never be a forward again.

He put up 50+ points last year and I see him hovering around 20-25 this year if that. It's not good enough for him to just be ok in our zone, he has to score, and since January he hasn't done any of that.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:51 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Well it seems pretty safe to say, that on this forum at least, the Buff going "O" or staying "D" or getting traded is going to be an ongoing hot button for a loooong time.

Personally, I'd be surprised if a trade resulted.
I think we're pretty unanimous in the thought that Byfuglien needs to improve his defensive play. The main point of disagreement is whether to keep him on the blue line and work on his defensive aspects, or entirely abandon the idea and move him to forward where he can play to his offensive strengths.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Vapour Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Last, and maybe least is Buff. This isn't like one of those "Enstrom sucks" rants but IMO Buff is not playing very well. And what scares me most, is that unless he wants to change, I don't think he will because to me what's holding him back is his attitude, and his vision of what he sees himself as, as a player.

Forget for a moment about him becoming a forward. I just don't see him even embracing becoming a capable defenseman. For a guy with his size and skating ability, he could be a dominant physical threat from the back end. The kind of guy that makes the other team keep their heads on swivals coming into our zone. But he doesn't do that. Instead he wants to go on Bobby Orr rushes every second time he has the puck. Which causes a winger who is not trained as a D man, to have to cover for him. If he just picked his spots and came in from the point on back door plays that would be one thing. But the guy is down low in the other end more often than not.

What makes it even worse, is that he gives almost 0 effort to backcheck. A couple of times last night when he went on yet another rush, I told my buddy to watch him backcheck. Buff didn't give any effort to backcheck. No head down, no skating. His head was up and I think he was the LAST guy back.

I'm all for trying to have players play to their strengths. But I just don't see how his style of play will make us a winning team (this year, next year, the year after, etc). I just don't see consistent, playoff or Stanley Cup caliber teams, employing players that "do their own thing".

I really hope that Buff decides to become a defenseman. Because IMO, this "Rover" position that he is currently playing won't help this team get to the next level.
I agree, with one comment, does he ever give much effort, even on offense? I get a sense that he is loafing the entire game. Really dissapointed with his intensity, it's just not there. Looks like he's doing for a paycheque, little passion.

At this point, I wouldn't be the least bit sad if they dealt him for better forward.

Another unrelated comment, does anyone on this team hit? Good bodychecks have been less common than goals, and that's saying something.

Vapour Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
I agree, with one comment, does he ever give much effort, even on offense? I get a sense that he is loafing the entire game. Really dissapointed with his intensity, it's just not there. Looks like he's doing for a paycheque, little passion.

At this point, I wouldn't be the least bit sad if they dealt him for better forward.

Another unrelated comment, does anyone on this team hit? Good bodychecks have been less common than goals, and that's saying something.
I think pretty much every big player gets the lack of effort label pinned to him. I see Byfuglien making an effort offensively, but defensively I think he is less committed.

As for hits, I think Kane, Antropov (curiously), Stuart, Bogosian, and Hainsey have been very good consistent hitters.

The guys who need to have 3 hits every shift who aren't doing it right now are guys like McArdle, Glass, Thorburn and whomever else is playing in the bottom 6

10-25-2011, 01:32 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

I'm not really sure why Buff wears an A.. but whatever. He must be great in the locker room or something..

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I hate that he seems exempt from any sort of punishment where other forwards and d-men who have played better than him haven't been so lucky.

What exactly has Byfuglien done to deserve such treatment. Is it only HFBoards that see he's nothing but a $5 million liability on our blue line and the coaching staff is none the wiser?

What am I missing that they're seeing.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:11 PM
tbcwpg

I thought McArdle played pretty well for what he was out there to do. He's not going to reach the skill level that most of his 1st round draft class did, and may not stick around for long on a team when skill players return, but he was out there creating energy and working hard consistently. That's a lot more than I can say about many players.

The young guys seem to be putting in a good effort, which is all I ask right now. Kane only has one goal but he's trying hard. Burmistrov has been quite good as well, and been hitting a bit. Hainsey is missed right now, but Stuart is playing very well. Enstrom is a top defenceman but he is unorthodox and I think that's a reason why many are confused about why people who watched him more closely are so excited about him.

With Byfuglien, yes he may be struggling, but if I'm looking at my d-corps and think "Well, I can sit Buff for a period or limit his ice time, but that means Randy Jones and Johnny Oduya are picking up that slack", I don't really see the need for that sort of punishment. I think people are over-reacting a bit 7 games in - most teams would wait maybe 8-10 before making call ups, etc.

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post

I agree with you Vapour. I would like to see a lot more passion from him.

What I am most concerned about with Buff, is if he is going to allow himself to be coached. There was a quote after one of our games where he essentially said that he was supposed to be at the point or something and he was down low (That's not the quote, but you get the point). So it's looking like already he's still doing what he wants to do.

So my fear is, what happens in 5 games or 10 games when Huddy, or Noel go to Buff and say enough. You try to rush the puck up the ice one more time and turn it over for an odd man rush, or if you get caught behind the oppositions net one more time you are going to sit. And what if he just keeps doing it? Do they have the stones to sit him? How does he react? Pout? Ask for a trade? Become a cancer in the dressing room?

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
With Byfuglien, yes he may be struggling, but if I'm looking at my d-corps and think "Well, I can sit Buff for a period or limit his ice time, but that means Randy Jones and Johnny Oduya are picking up that slack", I don't really see the need for that sort of punishment. I think people are over-reacting a bit 7 games in - most teams would wait maybe 8-10 before making call ups, etc.
It has only been 7 games this year, but he looks exactly like the Byfuglien from the 2nd half of last year which from then to now is totaling about 50 games that is the cause for concern.

It was good to see he wasn't weighing what we all heard from his BWI, but that was about the only positive I've seen up to this point. It was overlooked how poor he was in our zone during the first half of last year because he was tearing up the score sheet. However once teams figured it out and he went cold we had no choice but to notice what was going on in our zone. And it's the same story different Country thus far.

It's just not good enough, and his attitude really doesn't bode well for the future either. I was actually a huge Byfuglien fan when he was first signed but I see myself getting less and less patient with him as each shift goes on.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:49 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
It has only been 7 games this year, but he looks exactly like the Byfuglien from the 2nd half of last year which from then to now is totaling about 50 games that is the cause for concern.

It was good to see he wasn't weighing what we all heard from his BWI, but that was about the only positive I've seen up to this point. It was overlooked how poor he was in our zone during the first half of last year because he was tearing up the score sheet. However once teams figured it out and he went cold we had no choice but to notice what was going on in our zone. And it's the same story different Country thus far.

It's just not good enough, and his attitude really doesn't bode well for the future either. I was actually a huge Byfuglien fan when he was first signed but I see myself getting less and less patient with him as each shift goes on.
I agree and if it was last season's coaching staff still in place then we might see more movement, but with new coaches they are going to take time to see what they get. Buff is going to be around for awhile - he's not exactly playing himself into outstanding trade value, and his contract is a restriction - so why not let him work with Huddy, known to be a good defensive coach, and get in some time? I think last season's great start was an anomaly - the team is not as good as that record indicated, and too much was expected. I'm all for giving the coaching staff some time to make their own impressions. They know what Buff is about and they need to work on his defensive abilities.

The players have gone through a busy summer, and Byfuglien has the extra distraction of his ongoing legal issues. I understand armchair GMing is the right of any fan but take some context into consideration.

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Just so everyone knows, we have yet to have someone claim Thursdays GDT vs. Philly. It is the only remaining unclaimed GDT for the month of October.

You can check out the stickied GDT thread for the current months games and who has claimed them.

November's schedule has just been posted, so feel free to put your claim to one of the mods for a game if you'd like to create the GDT.

Last edited by Guerzy: 10-25-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:03 PM
ATLbound

my thoughts on some players last night....

Kane- solid game.
Antro/Burmy- Another decent game, and a goal. Enough said.
Wellwood- invisible for the most part, I say put him with Little.
Stapleton- Played well, worked hard.
Mcardle- Impressed, played well when he was out.
Maxwell- See Mcardle... ^^
Ladd/ Wheeler- Lazy, bad passes, invisible.
Little- best game of the year, looked like the old Little from Atl. Nothing to show from it at the end of the day though. Needs to burry some of those chances.
Bogo- Looked good, bad bounce on the goal.
Enstrom/ Buf- Ok. Both not great. I was getting mad how relaxed they are when we need a goal. Standing behind our net passing back and forth. Now that could be that our forwards are standing still to far ahead. But Buff instead of doing something else, would just throw it up the ice. He is really starting to piss me off.... Starting? I mean the past 40 games hes played in.

ATLbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Warhead77
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLbound View Post
my thoughts on some players last night....

Kane- solid game.
'Soild game' aint enough for the Jets to win games nor is it enough if Kane doesn't score any goals.

Warhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote