HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey Gloves Question

Old
10-23-2011, 05:08 PM
OilerNut*

vCash: 500
Hockey Gloves Question

So I decided to spring for new gloves this season as my 5 year old gloves palms were worn out completely, and probably should of replaced them last year.

I bought the 15" Bauer Supreme one55s as they were on sale and seem pretty decent. They fit pretty snug but feel comfortable. My old 15" itech gloves were quite loose.

Since I have started playing with these new gloves I have a hard time lifting the puck, where before I had to try and keep the puck low. Also when going to play the puck I often times now completely miss the puck as it slides under my stick. This is starting to really frustrate me and I am tempted to go back to my old gloves. I've played about 10 games in these new gloves so far.

Do they just need to be broken in more or should I try a different brand?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:53 PM
vapor11

I recently picked up a pair of Easton s11's as they were the most comfy glove I tried on at the LHS and were on clearance for $60...I went with a 13" instead of 14" like I have used in the past as I just play pickup hockey and was going for lightweight/mobility over protection.. there was no break in period and they have felt great since the first time I have used them

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Gibson19

Bauer Supreme's are supposed to be an anatomical fit. So they will sit snugger all around your hand and fingers. Some people like it some don't. It sounds like you don't.

Bauer's X series and Roll series are looser fitting even at the same sizes as the Supremes

Gibson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:31 PM
AIREAYE

That doesn't sound like a glove problem... more psychological?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Those Supremes are broken in pretty much off the rack. Is it a stick grip issue?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:03 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Our team got totalones, and going from my eagles they feel really weird. I'm sure it just takes time to get used to going from loose fit to tight fit, so give it some time and you'll get used to it.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:30 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That doesn't sound like a glove problem... more psychological?
This. Glove effecting your shot? Significantly? Probably not. It can alter your feel for the stick, but still probably not significantly enough to throw your shot off as much as you say. More likely psychological and you just need to adapt to the new feel.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:00 PM
beth

I have the Supreme One55 gloves, and the puck often slides under my stick - but I can assure you, the problem is not the gloves in my case. lol! I'm just too much of a noob and keep catching my pass wrong (wrong angle, not pulling back to receive the puck, etc.) I love my gloves. I've worn them for about a year now.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:39 AM
ktang

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
I have the Supreme One55 gloves, and the puck often slides under my stick - but I can assure you, the problem is not the gloves in my case. lol! I'm just too much of a noob and keep catching my pass wrong (wrong angle, not pulling back to receive the puck, etc.) I love my gloves. I've worn them for about a year now.
About receiving passes: instead of "giving" or "cushioning" the puck, you just could be very firm on the lower hand and receive the pass without moving the blade. The blade would be perpendicular to the puck's path. It's a much easier, more modern technique.

ktang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:06 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktang View Post
About receiving passes: instead of "giving" or "cushioning" the puck, you just could be very firm on the lower hand and receive the pass without moving the blade. The blade would be perpendicular to the puck's path. It's a much easier, more modern technique.
Uhh, what?

If you receive a pass without cushioning the puck, chances are it's bouncing off your stick. Everyone in the NHL does it, I'm not sure how this is some modern technique that works better.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When someone passes the puck to you with some velocity you need to keep a firm lower hand and close up your blade to trap the puck. If a good hockey player gives you a hard pass on the ice and you try and cushion the puck it's going to bounce off.

Old
10-25-2011, 10:48 AM
beth

It might be my stick, but if I kind of have to do a little of both - firm with a bit of cushioning. If I don't do it right, the puck goes right under the blade, especially if I try to cup too much. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd test it but none of my teammates can pass the puck any harder than my two year old, and they wait until about two seconds after I call for it and then softly pass it to someone on the other team who spotted the bad pass from the other end of the ice.