HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

10/25/11 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2011, 06:53 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Our PP has been awful, but at the same time, we're only getting like 2 a game, so it's hard to get in a groove. I don't like MAB on the top pairing, though. Reminds me of last season when we tried to stack our top PP with 5 forwards for a few games. 2 shorthanded goals later...

Seriously, Hedman is doing great with shots from the point this season getting them on net, and he's responsible defensively. Give the kid a shot, I say!

Old
10-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Clark is amazing when it comes to shot-blocking!

10-26-2011, 08:19 AM
LateNightOilerFan

Nice comeback win! I expected BUF to come out flying in their own building to avenge Saturday's loss and I was worried when they went up 2-0 so quickly. A couple weeks ago I don't think the Bolts would have been able to overcome that. So it shows me how much they have improved when it comes to just sticking to their system/structure even if they have a bad start to a game. Garon was great again!

This is so much like 07/08 for me. What I hope is that the team keeps playing like this whenever Roli gets a chance to get back in there. He'll feed off that, he's had a chance to rest and work on his game, and then both guys will be playing well, with both having the skaters play well in front of them. Then it will be the goaltending tandem everyone was expecting at the beginning of the year.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:35 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
Our PP has been awful, but at the same time, we're only getting like 2 a game, so it's hard to get in a groove. I don't like MAB on the top pairing, though. Reminds me of last season when we tried to stack our top PP with 5 forwards for a few games. 2 shorthanded goals later...

Seriously, Hedman is doing great with shots from the point this season getting them on net, and he's responsible defensively. Give the kid a shot, I say!
MAB has a great point shot and his point production this season has probably earned him the role in the coach's eye. I agree that he looks uncomfortable taking the puck up ice, but we had the same issue last year as well. We haven't had a true puck mover on the back end since Boyle...Hedman isn't a true puck mover but has enough speed to fill that role for the time being. He's been great at firing shots at the net and could be given a shot in the near future.

What I would like to see is Marty working the point on the PP and being the primary puck mover from our zone, and Stamkos shifting to LW. All penalty killers are aware of the Stammer one-timer from the point, so I feel as though he'd be less visible down low; one forward playing the LW or RW is often forgotten about on the PP and Stamkos is great at getting into open space. IMO, this would be a more effective set-up.

Old
10-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
I agree on having Marty bring it in the zone, and I would like us to work more to get Stamkos the shot instead of using him on the point. I think the goal is to normally get into an umbrella and try to set up Stamkos from the circle that way, but why not put him down low and allow him to creep up a bit? Him and Vinny probably have the best scoring touches on the team, and they should be closer to the net.

Still, our main problem has just been getting into and setting up in the zone. Once we have it settled, we're dangerous. My problem with MAB on the top PP is he has a tendency to fumble the puck, which leads to breakaway opportunities quite often (see Bergenheim's goal earlier this year).

Old
10-26-2011, 10:59 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
I agree on having Marty bring it in the zone, and I would like us to work more to get Stamkos the shot instead of using him on the point. I think the goal is to normally get into an umbrella and try to set up Stamkos from the circle that way, but why not put him down low and allow him to creep up a bit? Him and Vinny probably have the best scoring touches on the team, and they should be closer to the net.

Still, our main problem has just been getting into and setting up in the zone. Once we have it settled, we're dangerous. My problem with MAB on the top PP is he has a tendency to fumble the puck, which leads to breakaway opportunities quite often (see Bergenheim's goal earlier this year).
Bergeron's better suited for Stamkos' current role where he's away from the puck movement and can just set up for his lethal shot. I don't think we'll see him sticking on the 1st unit full-time.

Old
10-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Stammer could be most fully utilized as the very middle of the 1-3-1 on the PP.

It'd allow him to slide to either wing, and go down low to create an umbrella type situation, or go up high if the situation calls for it, and be the point man.

Whatever happens, I don't want Bergeron on point duty. He can be on LW or something, and rotate in for the big shot, but he's not good enough to not screw it up on the blueline.

Old
10-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Rschmitz

I don't know why boucher changed things up. Stamkos left circle vl right circle, st.louis and brewer manning the points, take malone off the second pp unit and park him in front. The way he is using them now makes no sense to me, we can't even gain zone entry right now.

Also, who cares if they focus on stamkos on the left circle. If the pk cheats to that side then make them pay with vinnys shot that netted him his own Richard trophy.

Old
10-26-2011, 12:53 PM
DangleDoppler

Does anyone know how Boucher feels about the fighting that has been going on recently in games? I know last year he was a staunch opponent of fighting, and it seemed to me he thought it was silly and pointless because it took people off the ice for so long a time. Last night when McGuire was interviewing him on the bench he seemed like he was ok with it?

So is he changing his stance on fighting? It feels like we've had more fights this year than last already...I know I am embellishing, but it just seems Boucher frowned upon it more last year

Old
10-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDoppler View Post
Does anyone know how Boucher feels about the fighting that has been going on recently in games? I know last year he was a staunch opponent of fighting, and it seemed to me he thought it was silly and pointless because it took people off the ice for so long a time. Last night when McGuire was interviewing him on the bench he seemed like he was ok with it?

So is he changing his stance on fighting? It feels like we've had more fights this year than last already...I know I am embellishing, but it just seems Boucher frowned upon it more last year
I wouldn't say Boucher was a 'staunch opponent of fighting'. He's not a goon coach, and so it's up to the players to decide when, and who, to fight.

I think the 'frowned upon' perception might be because there was talk early last season that we didn't have a goon, as Malone and Downie are too valuable to be in the penalty box any more than they need to be. Of course, early last season, everyone was trying to get SFY to comment, and comparatively no one cared about Lil' Boucher back then.

Also remember that there was a brief period of time around then where Guy Boucher seemed very foreign to a lot of people covering the league. He was this 'Frenchman' who had all these unconventional systems and ways of doing things, things that had never been done before, and consequently, vastly different opinions on things from every other NHL coach.

Nevermind that he's from PQ, and the 1-3-1 is a known entity, except on the forecheck, where he likes to utilize it.

Once the media got to know him a bit better, the question over having a fighter in the lineup had fallen out of fashion.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-26-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old
10-26-2011, 03:05 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I wouldn't say Boucher was a 'staunch opponent of fighting'. He's not a goon coach, and so it's up to the players to decide when, and who, to fight.

I think the 'frowned upon' perception might be because there was talk early last season that we didn't have a goon, as Malone and Downie are too valuable to be in the penalty box any more than they need to be. Of course, early last season, everyone was trying to get SFY to comment, and comparatively no one cared about Lil' Boucher back then.
Yzerman actually commented on fighting the other night on Hockey Night in Tampa Bay. He was asked what was his stance of removing fighting from the game and said he didn't feel strongly either way about keeping or cutting it. He did say he thought fighting wasn't as important as it use to be and that with all talk about cracking down on head shots, the league doesn't look at "the ultimate head shot" enough and that it's "contradictory about what we are trying to do."

Old
10-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Yzerman actually commented on fighting the other night on Hockey Night in Tampa Bay. He was asked what was his stance of removing fighting from the game and said he didn't feel strongly either way about keeping or cutting it. He did say he thought fighting wasn't as important as it use to be and that with all talk about cracking down on head shots, the league doesn't look at "the ultimate head shot" enough and that it's "contradictory about what we are trying to do."
I agree. It's a contradiction that we pretty much just ignore, except when prompted by VS for llama-drama.

Although I don't agree with what he considers "the ultimate head shot"

If something like this:

is not the outcome, it's not 'ultimate'.

Okay, this, but exploding into all the colors of the light spectrum.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-26-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Closed Thread