HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A different tact for a broker's fee x 2...?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-27-2011, 12:24 PM
  #1
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,582
vCash: 500
A different tact for a broker's fee x 2...?

We gather that,

Weber, a RFA, may want to leave Nashville for Vancouver.
Suter, an URA, is up in the air,

We have been beating our selves up going after these guys.
Cap could be an issue for us also.

My question:
What moves could we undertake WHERE WE, AS BROKERS, LOOKING TO MAKE A PROFIT FOR OUR BROKERING, would help Vancouver get the space for Weber, and for other teams to get Suter? (Other teams are likely interested, but assume the Hawks are interested in Weber but more realistically will go for Suter.)

This means envisioning a strategy of multiple moves, which you may reflect if you wish as three or four team trades, but with an eye to keeping it more realistic, do in stages as opposed to simultaneous 3 or 4 way, etc. megatrade.

For example.
Canucks need cap space for Weber.

Step 1
Montreal wants expiring contracts for free agency potential.
So Rangers give (trade) St. Croix
along with expiring contracts of EC, Avery + Wolski for a 3rd
achieving the goal of creating more cap space now for NYR.
{Do NOT follow up w/what Habs must do to dump other players to fit EC, Avery + Wolski. Just assume they can and will get rid of other players because St. Croix is worth it.}

Step 2
With this [and other] cap space we accommodate Canucks FOR A PRICE.
While preferably this would be more D for F oriented killing 2 birds with 1 stone, let me make my point more obvious.
Rangers get Luongo + 1st rounder 2012 + 3rd founder 2014 + x better prospect
Canucks get Biron + 2013 3rd founder + y lesser prospect
Other moves would have to be made for cap, fill in the blanks.
But the objective is achieved, we have Luongo, a moveable asset if a contending team has a goaltending injury, + we have a first, + we get a better prospect.

VC is happy, they have more room they MUST have to sign Weber.
NYR get profit. (Would be nice if we could have signed Weber, but the cap hit + commitment would kill us. So instead, let's participate in the process and get a piece of the action...)

The above Biron for Luongo is for illustration purposes only, just to make my point.

It's extra work, but we may be able to get roughly equal value from the Hawks and pry away the likes of a Dylan Olsen for our trouble.

There are other variations on the Canucks.

Feel free to suggest other examples fitting this scenario besides Weber and Suter.

Thoughts...


Last edited by bernmeister: 10-27-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: sp. correction
bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:35 PM
  #2
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Um, there's multiple team trades that happen, but this isn't fantasy hockey. Teams don't trade for an asset just hoping to unload them later.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:04 PM
  #3
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Um, there's multiple team trades that happen, but this isn't fantasy hockey. Teams don't trade for an asset just hoping to unload them later.
Thanks for the post.
My point is, can WE extract a fee, a profit, a concession from ______________ fill in the blank
so that team can line itself up to a larger goal.

We already got ours up front.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:04 PM
  #4
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
what in god's name are you blabbering about?

just kidding


Last edited by KreiMeARiver*: 10-27-2011 at 03:17 PM.
KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:23 PM
  #5
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
what in god's name are you blabbering about?
I'll try it a little more simply.

Weber wants the hometown Canucks; Vancouver wants Weber but don't have enough cap room.

So Vancouver needs trading partners to help it create (enough) cap space.
What can we give to Vancouver that will result in creating space for Vancouver ?
AGAIN THIS IS NOT A FAVOR, WE WANT SOME PROFIT FOR OUR TROUBLE

A minimal example of 1 for 1 is Luongo makes more than Biron, and some people are pissed that Luongo, in the view of some, choked in the finals. So Luongo for Biron. But that's not enough. We take Luongo off Vancouver hands until we can flip him for a decent price (the highest bidder as soon as there is an injury to a goalie). But we demand draft picks for our trouble.

[Normally Luongo would command a lot more, but that is not pivotal to Canucks because their immediate goal is cap space. The ability to make room for Weber as soon as possible offsets and supercedes the loss of value on Luongo for Biron.]]

Of course, in order to first make space to stick Luongo on NYR roster, we had to dump a couple of expiring contracts. So I gave the example Montreal is rebuilding, St. Croix is a decent prospect fit for them if they take this short term salary off our hands.

Now that you see the example, the invitation is to figure out:

what teams want a big name
what do they need (cap, specific type of player we have)
what deal do we make to allow them to get what they need, but at the same time charge some kind of profit that will help us down the road?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:30 PM
  #6
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
I'll try it a little more simply.

Weber wants the hometown Canucks; Vancouver wants Weber but don't have enough cap room.

So Vancouver needs trading partners to help it create (enough) cap space.
What can we give to Vancouver that will result in creating space for Vancouver ?
AGAIN THIS IS NOT A FAVOR, WE WANT SOME PROFIT FOR OUR TROUBLE

A minimal example of 1 for 1 is Luongo makes more than Biron, and some people are pissed that Luongo, in the view of some, choked in the finals. So Luongo for Biron. But that's not enough. We take Luongo off Vancouver hands until we can flip him for a decent price (the highest bidder as soon as there is an injury to a goalie). But we demand draft picks for our trouble.

[Normally Luongo would command a lot more, but that is not pivotal to Canucks because their immediate goal is cap space. The ability to make room for Weber as soon as possible offsets and supercedes the loss of value on Luongo for Biron.]]

Of course, in order to first make space to stick Luongo on NYR roster, we had to dump a couple of expiring contracts. So I gave the example Montreal is rebuilding, St. Croix is a decent prospect fit for them if they take this short term salary off our hands.

Now that you see the example, the invitation is to figure out:

what teams want a big name
what do they need (cap, specific type of player we have)
what deal do we make to allow them to get what they need, but at the same time charge some kind of profit that will help us down the road?
haha I get it... I was just messing with you. I'm just wondering if you smoked before thinking about this?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:36 PM
  #7
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
I'll try it a little more simply.

Weber wants the hometown Canucks; Vancouver wants Weber but don't have enough cap room.

So Vancouver needs trading partners to help it create (enough) cap space.
What can we give to Vancouver that will result in creating space for Vancouver ?
AGAIN THIS IS NOT A FAVOR, WE WANT SOME PROFIT FOR OUR TROUBLE
In that scenario, Vancouver needs cap space. We don't have it to give. End of story.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:04 PM
  #8
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,386
vCash: 500
Would work in theory, but probably not in real life

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:02 PM
  #9
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
In that scenario, Vancouver needs cap space. We don't have it to give. End of story.
Entirely agree.
But the challenge is, could we manufacture it in such way that it was worth our time and trouble?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:05 PM
  #10
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
haha I get it... I was just messing with you. I'm just wondering if you smoked before thinking about this?
I can take a joke.
well maybe is too much. is more like it.

Lucy, you just so ridiculous...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:09 PM
  #11
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Would work in theory, but probably not in real life
Thanks for the honest and intelligent thought.

Figured I'd give it a shot. Optimistic I could come up with a couple of such scenarios, but too much going on at present time.

It's like a chess game. But it's extra moves in advance you have to think, more than normally.
I'm sure one of us can come up with something...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:58 PM
  #12
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:42 AM
  #13
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Sign Suter in the off season. He's the better D-man anyways.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 03:36 AM
  #14
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Stop smoking crack bern. I vaguely remember your name. You came up with some completely asinine super complicated thing last year too.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:05 PM
  #15
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Stop smoking crack bern. I vaguely remember your name. You came up with some completely asinine super complicated thing last year too.
My friend, who seems to prefer only simple things, don't be afraid of complicated things just because you don't understand them.

Don't shoot someone who
People want simple solutions, but life is complicated.
It is better to try and figure out complex solutions that actually work, and try to smooth the edges and if possible, then stay simple with what is unsuccessful at best and failure at worst.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.