HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospal Interview: Nationwide Arena Country Club

Old
10-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

vCash: 500
My official make Vinny Prospal Captain Thread

Prospal Questions Jacket's Hunger

This guy gets it. I wish the rest of our team's "leadership" would get it too.

This is exactly why he is one of the team's leading scorers. He works for every point he gets.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:37 AM
St1ngr

Prospal Interview: Nationwide Arena Country Club

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ts-hunger.html

This kind of talk - calling out the heart of the team - won't win Vinny many new friends in the dressing room, but I for one appreciate it.

0-5-1 and mailing it in through practice?

Three things need to be done:
1. Fire Howson for creating/propagating such an atmosphere
2. Fire Arneil for not bag skating these pansies more often
3. Strip Nash's "C" or just trade him. He is the President of the Nationwide Arena Country Club and ultimately responsible for this atmosphere.

...or maybe the players will be sufficiently embarrassed by this (as they should be) and start to play like real NHL players for a change. Clearly though if this attitude continues (as it has for several years) only a big detonation of the team's core and the recruitment of players who sufficiently care about winning will change anything. Painful change, yes, but how many coaching regimes, systems can the CBJ go through with this current player leadership core? Why should the next coach/system be any different?

If the team's demeanor does not change, this should be Nash's last season in Columbus.

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

he just shot up to #2 on my current favorite jacket list...the man gets it...welcome vinny...

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:50 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Props to Vinny. He is a guy who everyone should be respecting.

I think a lot of us have said it on these boards, that the CBJ seem lazy, most nights. And the nights, they don't look lazy it is the same tired excuse of "If we keep competing, we are bound to win sometime". I don't want to hear that excuse, I want to hear "Losing is unacceptable, and we are going to go out and practice our ***** off tomorrow, so we don't lose like this again".

I have said for a while now, Nash should not have the C, period. Your most talented players, aren't always your best leaders. Nash is just not a good leader.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
BluejacketNut

Now THATS a sign of a leader....and maybe Arniel should take note. Arniel seemed to make some of those 'ohh, we played better and competed' excuses, where Vinny is saying F that, we lost the game....who cares if we have 100 shots if we lose the game!

The one thing I had hoped that Arniel was going to bring, was the attention to detail, to most importantly PASSING! Doesnt sound like I got that wish

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:13 AM
CBJCougar

Definitely a good read on Prospal. Highlights weak links in our leadership for not instilling a good work ethic. However, I consider those coaching issues. I think it most definitely is an ongoing issue with the team but my experience is that human nature is to do as little as possible as long as it's comfortable. Time to make it uncomfortable...

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

I like his honesty, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and just give him the C.

Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:21 AM
5StringBuzz

The fact that a statement like this comes from a player other than the team captain says a lot about the captain. This is really a direct indictment of Nash's leadership. I'm glad we have someone willing to speak directly and critically about the team's poor work ethic, and it explains a lot. I don't advocate trading Nash, as some have suggested, but if he can't set the standard for all-out effort and take his teammates to task for anything less that maximum effort (and in such a way that everybody knows to expect that kind of accountability), then he should give up the "C."

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:34 AM
DerDrache

Man, Vinny may have just become my new favorite Jacket. Let's throw a 1 year extension at him.

DerDrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo16 View Post
I like his honesty, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and just give him the C.
Well, what we have right now is working so well to motivate the team. Nash is too quiet to motivate them. Somebody needed to call them out publicly and I hope the rest of the team gets embarrassed by their lack of work ethic getting called out. I wish we had a vocal leader who got on his teammates about this type of stuff because it has gone on far too long.

I'm actually glad that Atkinson and Calvert got sent down now to get them away from the circle of suck.

The sad part is, because he is on a 1 year deal, he'll be gone by the trade deadline if this team continues to suck.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:36 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1500
I've been a longstanding fan of Prospal. I think he should be wearing a A in the place of Carter or Vermette.

Last edited by IBleedUnionBlue: 10-21-2011 at 04:05 PM.
IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:38 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Definitely a good read on Prospal. Highlights weak links in our leadership for not instilling a good work ethic. However, I consider those coaching issues.
Coaching is certainly part of it, yes. We have issues in the 3rd period and it's not conditioning as they've claimed in the past. Those things could certainly come from how you practice and the coaching.

Quote:
I think it most definitely is an ongoing issue with the team but my experience is that human nature is to do as little as possible as long as it's comfortable. Time to make it uncomfortable...
You know I agree.

Interesting take from Prospal. It's interesting that after six games he's willing to talk like this. It's a fresh perspective.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:40 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I've been a log standing fan of Prospal. I think he should be wearing a A in the place of Carter or Vermette.
Wiz and Prospal look like good choices. Maybe it's time to find someone from outside of the expected crowd as well.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:40 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1500
I've also complained about the players playing soft before. But my idea to wave pink panties at them last New Years eve was soundly rejected.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Hipster Letestu

Single-handedly working to redeem the #22 in the eyes of Blue Jackets fans

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blahblah

Quote:
I've also complained about the players playing soft before. But my idea to wave pink panties at them last New Years eve was soundly rejected.
And for very good reasons....

Old
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Nash is the captain, and the right man for that job.

Prospal is a leader, a veteran, and he is doing what veterans should do, light a fire under some *****. He was a great signing, and if he stays healthy he could put up some tough numbers this year, but he is not a good candidate for Capt.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Prospal is a long-time veteran who has played with a lot of big name players. When he speaks to the team they better listen. He knows what he is talking about.

Everyone should be thanking him right now for speaking his mind.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:45 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Nash is the captain, and the right man for that job.
He is? You are entitled to that opinion, but I haven't seen much evidence to support that. Players seem willing to follow, but where is he leading? The world has had it's fair share of crappy leaders that people were willing to follow.

We could have an issue where everyone wants and expects him to be the captain.

Quote:
Prospal is a leader, a veteran, and he is doing what veterans should do, light a fire under some *****. He was a great signing, and if he stays healthy he could put up some tough numbers this year, but he is not a good candidate for Capt.
Well his age and contract is an issue, but is there another reason?

Old
10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Prospal is a long-time veteran who has played with a lot of big name players. When he speaks to the team they better listen. He knows what he is talking about.
The first few words had me interested. You lost me as you went on. Playing with big name players doesn't mean you know what you are talking about or that they should listen to you.

Whether this listen should be based on the message. This message looks good.

Quote:
Everyone should be thanking him right now for speaking his mind.
Thanking him? Depends on what you mean by that. Did the fans need to hear it? Well that depends on his motives. It certainly doesn't hurt the players to hear it, as long as they don't tune him out at some point.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Matt

If you pay attention to how these players go through practices, Vinny is dead on. I have watched this team practice over the years and regardless of who is coaching, these players just go through the motions. No one really puts a lot of effort into the drills. As I have said before, it isn't the 8 new players, it is the 10 to 12 holdovers that are the problem.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:53 AM
jacketsinDC

strip the C, strip the As. make Prospal the CAA and lets do this.

jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 600
After reading the article my first reaction was: WOW. Vinny gets it. Many of us have been harping on the lack of effort and intensity evident in the play of the Jackets. And today, while driving to work and listening to Home Ice XM92, Pierre McGuire calls Benn's "goal of the year" the "quit of the year" as Pierre said: "Both Johnson and Russell looked liked they were caught in quicksand and Nash and Brassard quit on the play." Pierre went on to say that Nash was not a quitter but needed to pick it up. Vinny gets it. Some in the national media see it. Now fix it, please!

Now there are many ways to fix the problem: Up the compete level, as players and coaches and front office bring it every day and every night. Other things can be done. I am not advocating one thing over another, just fix the problem.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:57 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Wiz and Prospal look like good choices. Maybe it's time to find someone from outside of the expected crowd as well.
Quote:
I've been a log standing fan of Prospal. I think he should be wearing a A in the place of Carter or Vermette.
I'm all for this idea. Strip every one of the A's off the sweaters. We need new leadership. How many do we have? Four? Wiz, Prospal, Carter and Tyutin.

Quote:
Oh Lord. LOL!!

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:02 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

This is a scathing indictment of the team leadership and, especially, the captain. Not only Nash, though, doesn't this team have a "heart and soul" who never quits and never accepts losing? Where's everyone's favorite Buckeye when all this loafing is going on? How about the other vets - Vermette, Pahlsson, Methot, etc.? Don't these guys have any investment in winning hockey? Wouldn't one think that a coach or two might have considered a reward/punishment system for practice effort? Most coaching staff at the grade school level have discovered the usefulness of such a tool.

This whole thing stinks and I'm just not sure where the blame for it lies, nor do I really care. Fix it. Unless, of course, they find a way to play winning hockey without practicing with intensity. So far, the secret to that appears to have eluded them, so they may as well give up and resort to what has proven successful for every winning team in every other sport - hard work (as difficult as that seems to be for them to understand).

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote