HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Gillies Useless?

View Poll Results: Is Gillies a Waste of a Roster Spot?
Yes, get him off the team now 43 53.75%
No, he strikes fear into the opponent protecting the players 37 46.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Islanders1932

vCash: 500
Is Gillies Useless?

I want to know what the majority of you guys think.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:28 PM
stranger34

not when compared to Bailey, Okposo, Mottau, and Comeau.

Gillies has a role and he is good at what he does.

If Cappy sits him tomorrow, people will once again understand why he is needed

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Islanderfan17

He's only necessary in games where you just KNOW ***** gonna go down, like tomorrows game. Otherwise I'd say he is pretty useless, I'd rather just have players like Martin, Hamonic and Haley who can play hockey AND fight. I wish Aaron Asham was still on the Isles.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Problem with Gillies is that he had two lengthy suspensions last year. So, based on recent precedent, the next time he runs afoul of the league, he's looking at 20+ games. He can't do anything while suspended, and opponents know he's walking on eggshells out there... so, his effectiveness as a deterrent, if you believe in that sort of thing, is extremely limited at this point.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:32 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

I've said before and will say again. No.

He acts like a coach on the bench and is always talking and encouraging guys.

He also fills the enforcer role.

Not every player is going to score 10 or 20 or more goals in a year. I love having him on the team.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Halakness Monster

useless no, i bet this turns into a haley love fest

Halakness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:50 PM
KyleBailey12

He's effective when it comes to his role, but we can't run four lines when he plays. Every single time Gillies is on the ice we are in our own zone.

This can become really dangerous because playing in your own zone means taking more penalties. Gillies' usual line mates are Pandolfo or Reasoner, arguably 2 of our best penalty killers.

Gillies on ice=struggling in our own zone=penalties(with Reasoner or Pandolfo in the box)=PP for the opposition=Goal Against.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:06 AM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
He just doesn't seem like that good a fighter...at least not as good as Haley (yep, here comes the lovefest). Plus I feel like Haley has at least somewhat of a more offensive upside than Gillies. There's been times where he actually hasn't looked too bad when handling the puck, whereas I don't think I've ever seen Gillies touch the puck once.

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:41 AM
StrongIslanders90

I love Gillies but I would rather Have Haley play than him.....Hes good when the opposition has a true Heavyweight, but that about it.....He on plays about 2 1/2 min per game, which is a waste IMO....And this is Pro Hockey, Nobody is really afraid of anyone...sure thier are guys who wont drop the gloves or guys who turtle and slap like Talbot, but not everyone changes thier game out of fear of a beat down...sure someguys might think twice about taking liberties, but for the most part its going to almost always happen, Gillies or no Gillies...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:43 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Problem with Gillies is that he had two lengthy suspensions last year. So, based on recent precedent, the next time he runs afoul of the league, he's looking at 20+ games. He can't do anything while suspended, and opponents know he's walking on eggshells out there... so, his effectiveness as a deterrent, if you believe in that sort of thing, is extremely limited at this point.
This is a good point.....if you have watched him when hes played you can see he his not getting in scuffles or going out of his way to bang bodies....This makes him less effective IMO....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:38 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Not a huge fan, would much rather see a Haley or Martin-type of player -- someone who can drop the gloves, but can be trusted with a regular shift. I'm not someone who wants to ban fighting, definitely feel it has its place, but I like it a lot better when it's part of the flow of the game. I hate the 'arranged' fights. And to be honest, not sure Gillies is even that good of a fighter.

Just my $0.02.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:33 AM
mabisles

Gillies is useless. His role is to stay in the luxury box eating peanuts.

mabisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:41 AM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan17 View Post
He just doesn't seem like that good a fighter...at least not as good as Haley (yep, here comes the lovefest). Plus I feel like Haley has at least somewhat of a more offensive upside than Gillies. There's been times where he actually hasn't looked too bad when handling the puck, whereas I don't think I've ever seen Gillies touch the puck once.
You are kidding, right? I assume you are serious. Gillies would literally hurt Haley. I think, pound for pound, Haley is a very talented fighter, but Haley has not fought guys of the quality over his career that Gillies has. Gillies is beyond a doubt the best fighter on the team. They are different fighters altogether. Haley is more of a scrapper (even though he is a very good fighter for his size)...kind of like Alan Kerr. Now, we can debate whether or not Gillies should be on the team. I think he has a role to play. Hockey talent-wise, Haley is a much better player, though.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:34 AM
majormet

I am going to say he is useless, because if we had 11 solid forwards you can dress him every night on a very good team. Great teams can carry a goon on their roster. The Isles cannot carry a wasted 12th forward when they already have other forwards who are not producing.

Gillies would put Haley in the hospital. Haley does not even fight the guys that Gillies would fight. McGrattan, McIntyre, Shelley, Parros, etc.. these are the guys that he fights. Haley will fight the Konopka's of the world.

I would rather trade for Chris Neil than rely on Haley and Gillies, but Neil will be a career Senator no matter how bad they become.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
No he isn't useless he does have a purpose, but I would rather have a Haley, or any other player that can fight and take a regular shift. Asham, Neil, Prust love these guys, this is what we need to compliment Martin, Haley is what we have so I am always a proponent for him. But Gillies for his role is not useless, I just don't want to see him every night for 3 mins.

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Boik14

Every great team has at least 1 psycho on it right?

He looks crazy, he acts crazy from time to time, and he's a pretty mean guy. I like having him around for games like tonight. It basically screams "touch Tavares once and ill break you in half"

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:26 AM
JetsMetsIsles

I heard if you vote yes Trevor Gillies will come for you while you sleep. The last thing you see before you die is his mustache.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:29 AM
seabass45

The answer is always "I'd rather have Haley".

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
MTK

He is useless and takes up a spot on the bench when he is in. He plays like 2minutes a game and that is 2 minutes too long.

He should be kept in the AHL and called up for certain games if they deem they need him Haley is a tough guy who can actually take a shift on the 4th line.

Gilles is a suspension away from not playing so he could be gone after tonights game.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Yes. You only need him in a situation like last year vs the Pens.

So he is only useless 95% of the time.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
majormet

This also makes you realize how valuable Lucic and Iginla are because they can produce on the ice as well as intimidate.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:48 AM
KH1

He is worse than useless; his presence in the lineup is actually detrimental. As majormet pointed out, having him in the lineup to play 2 minutes a game hurts the Isles because they already have several other forwards who can't get it going. Wasting a lineup spot on Gillies keeps someone like Comeau or Niederreiter (who could actually spark something) from getting a chance.

Furthermore, I don't think that having Gillies in the lineup protects guys like Tavares at all. He's not going to be on the ice enough to prevent a player from taking a cheap shot, and if he does actually retaliate then odds are good that he will be suspended for 10-20 games.

The threat of having Gillies come in and fight your team's enforcer doesn't deter anything (as we've seen from the hits that Phaneuf, Hedman, and others have put on our guys over the past few years.) You need a player who takes a regular shift to effectively protect your stars.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Islanders1932

In my opinion, Gillies is useless, Haley is not. Therefore Haley should be on the team. What can Gillies do that Haley can't?

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
What can Gillies do that Haley can't?
Grab a mug off the top shelf of the cabinet?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Isles Junkie

very useless

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote