Old
10-20-2011, 02:41 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Kris Chucko Retires

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2208171/

Quote:
“My decision was based on how I felt, how crappy I felt for and have felt for the last 11 to 12 months, and the six or seven months (after) the first one,” Chucko said from his home in Minnesota. “When you sit at home with a headache for six or seven months straight, the decision doesn't come too hard.

“It was one of those things where I basically buried myself in a cage for two years because I couldn't do anything and I started to think `Is this really worth it?“
Quote:
“If you took out a concussion symptoms chart I was feeling pretty much all of them,” said Chucko, a native of Burnaby, B.C. “Dizziness, vision, sensitivity to light, sensitivity to sound, nausea, sickness — you can go right down the list to the very bottom, other than memory.

“On the second hit my neck just deteriorated, I can't lift a heavy bag of groceries yet, so I'm not working out or lifting weights cause I get these shooting pains down the back of my neck and it's pretty uncomfortable.”

I know he got a lot of flack around here, but it's really unfortunate that things turned out this way for him.

All the best to him and his recovery.

Last edited by tmurfin: 10-20-2011 at 03:06 PM.
tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
It is too bad, hopefully in time he can resume to live a normal life.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:30 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
That's a terrible story. And he's still a young man who hasn't generated enough money to secure a financial future, and given that the young man can't even lift groceries anymore, he's going to have a hard future.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Medium Rare*

vCash: 500
I think Chucko always got a bit of a bum wrap, he was always meant to be a long term project that was supposed to spend 4 years in university and mature. Instead he turns pro after 2 years and is merely average in his first 2 professional seasons. In his 3rd season on the farm (would have been his first had he finished school) he starts showing promise tallying 28 goals and over 50 points. The next season his concussion troubles start.

He was progressing at exactly the pace he was expected to IMO. But people look at no more than numbers when judging players, I think he simply wasn't ready yet when he turned pro.

All that said I hope he can shake the symptoms and start living a healthy, pain free life.

Best of luck Kris.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:46 PM
flamesfever

I still remember when we drafted him I was like...WHO? Mike Green when like 5 players after him i think.

Regardless of my opinion on where he was drafted i really hope everything works out for him and he can resume a normal life someday. That's sad to read about all his physical problems.

flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 05:06 PM
slappipappi

He wqas drafted as a project, sure, but someone who if they continued to progress might eventually become a 4th liner, or perhaps a poor 3rd liner.

That's now how you draft in the 1st round.

That's what late round picks are for.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Xelstyle

Best of luck to the young guy in the next stages of his life.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
That's rough. I hope things get better for him and he can move on with his life.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:03 AM
tfong

Hope his symptoms go away, this article really isn't about him as a hockey player, but as a person. Concussion is messing with his life and he does have my sympathy.

I just hated him as a first round pick heh. Zajac made him look good in Salmon Arm

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Specifically to the draft, the only positive that came out of drafting Chucko was that it was a lesson well learned that those are not the type of players that you select in the first round.

Old
10-21-2011, 05:56 AM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Specifically to the draft, the only positive that came out of drafting Chucko was that it was a lesson well learned that those are not the type of players that you select in the first round.
Lesson Sutter never learned.

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
Lesson Sutter never learned.
Idk, I think he got better towards the end. The book is still out on Nemisz, Backlund was a good pick, so was Erixon even though he is a dbag, and Reinhart looks to be like he was a real gem even though he was picked in the 3rd. Overall though his drafting record was abysmal.

Old
10-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Idk, I think he got better towards the end. The book is still out on Nemisz, Backlund was a good pick, so was Erixon even though he is a dbag, and Reinhart looks to be like he was a real gem even though he was picked in the 3rd. Overall though his drafting record was abysmal.
This. I think Sutter took too safe of picks when he first got in as GM to stock the cupboard and then he started to make riskier picks. He isn't as dumb as people make him to seem, however he did have some ill-advised moves.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Triple Deke

I hope Chucko can get over the concussion issues. It's sad to see a relatively young guy retire due to injury.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:45 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
The book is closing on Pelech and maybe Negrin too. This should be the year for Nemisz to start showing some promise or that is another one that is looking more of a long shot. Reality is what 5% of drafted players play ONE NHL game. That said the ratio for first rounders should be WAY higher than that...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:54 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
The book is closing on Pelech and maybe Negrin too. This should be the year for Nemisz to start showing some promise or that is another one that is looking more of a long shot. Reality is what 5% of drafted players play ONE NHL game. That said the ratio for first rounders should be WAY higher than that...
Don't think Pelech is anything more than 5/6 stay at home. We have Brett Carson for that already and Butler is more mobile than Pelech.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:13 PM
saillias

Pelech is not with the Flames org anymore, we didn't re-sign him, he went to SJ. Negrin is in the ECHL apparently.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote