HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

CHL execs using media to persuade 2012 prospects

Old
10-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
CHL execs using media to persuade 2012 prospects

Earlier this summer, Kelowna general manager Bruce Hamilton took to the media to say that any team that selects Girgensons is going to want him in Kelowna, not Dubuque or the UofVermont.

Last week, Windsor general manager Warren Rychel said that Jordan Schmaltz needs to reconsider his career path.

More on what they said here:http://futureconsiderations.ca/chl-e...012-prospects/

What is your take on these CHL execs using the media in this manner as some sort of recruitment tactic to get these players to report to major junior?

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

I think it's borderline tampering (in a loose defination of that term). They need to mind their own damn business and work on their behind the scenes recruitment pitches rather than undermine a quality feeder system in the USHL and top-notch hockey schools such as North Dakota, Michigan, and Vermont. Yeah, their concern is all about the player...

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 10-25-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Good to see. They should be doing everything in their power to get these kids to commit. The CHL is a buisness, and teams should do whatever they want to get top talent to reconsider. Most NHL teams prefer players in the CHL anyway so it's not like they're brainwashing them.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Can't say I disagree with what either man has said.

With that being said, I think it might cross some lines. But hey, if you are ballsy enough to step out there and say it, all the power to you.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:39 PM
wej20

Not a fan of it personally, not sure why Hamilton feels the need to point out something that Girgensons and his advisor(s) almost certainly know.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

When the NCAA hires a full time mouth piece, who has access to a wider national media audience, it is not surprising.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:44 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I think using the media to pressure teenagers is way over the line.

They should just continue talking with the agents and do their homework on the intentions of these players so they don't feel like they "wasted" a pick.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:47 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I think using the media to pressure teenagers is way over the line.

They should just continue talking with the agents and do their homework on the intentions of these players so they don't feel like they "wasted" a pick.
I agree, their time would be better spent trying to sell their team to the players rather than talking to the media.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I think it's borderline tampering (in a loose defination of that term). They need to mind their own damn business and work on their behind the scenes recruitment pitches rather than undermine a quality feeder system in the USHL and top-notch hockey schools such as North Dakota, Michigan, and Vermont. Yeah, their concern is all about the player...
Getting players like Jordan Schmaltz to come over to Windsor is exactly Warren Rychel's business. And there's no way that staying three years in the USHL is what's best for a top prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Can't say I disagree with what either man has said.

With that being said, I think it might cross some lines. But hey, if you are ballsy enough to step out there and say it, all the power to you.
Exactly this.

EDIT: Just a small note for the author of the article, Schmaltz was drafted in '09 not '10.

Last edited by Pick Six: 10-25-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Anyone out there feel like this may work against the Spitfires or Rockets? I can see Girgensons or Schmaltz rolling their eyes at these efforts.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:55 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Borderline tampering? Are you high? How is it possible to tamper with players that are not under contract to anybody? Even if these kids had letters of intention to play for a US College, its still not a legally binding document in any way shape or form. Its basically a glorified pinky swear that they'll show up to that school, which means nothing. If the CHL teams want to make public that their league is better suited to develop NHL prospects that's their perogative, and they are probably right. The only tampering going on is these colleges trying to get kids as young as 12 to make life altering decisions about their futures. Get off the high horse man. The only thing undermining the USHL and NCAA are the NCAA's rules and their need to portray themselves as anything but a business when that's exactly what they are too. If the NCAA was all about the individual players well being then why do they have a problem with players chosing the CHL? It would mean there is one more spot on the school team for another player to get an education, so no big loss right? Yeah, right.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:59 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Anyone out there feel like this may work against the Spitfires or Rockets? I can see Girgensons or Schmaltz rolling their eyes at these efforts.
Possibly but if they roll their eyes at these tactics then they've probably already made up their mind anyway, I think the comments they make in private are much more important in the discussions than the comments to the media.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I kinda think they're confident in doing it because they know they're right.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Well if their is an agent to talk too, they really don't need to do much more homework.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I agree, their time would be better spent trying to sell their team to the players rather than talking to the media.
In the case of Schmaltz, Windsor drafted him over two and a half years ago. You're kidding yourself if you think Rychel hasn't contacted the Schmaltz family and their advisor many, many times. It's mostly a last ditch effort and a call to potential NHL teams.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:06 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
In the case of Schmaltz, Windsor drafted him over two and a half years ago. You're kidding yourself if you think Rychel hasn't contacted the Schmaltz family and their advisor many, many times. It's mostly a last ditch effort and a call to potential NHL teams.
maybe but I doubt potential NHL teams give two hoots what Rychel thinks.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

The description and the actual article vary enough that I'd advise commentors to read the full article first, or very likely face a future not playing in the NHL.

Either these comments were not meant to be printed when they were said, and/or the teams need to shut their mouths. Why are they talking about players to the media?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-25-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
maybe but I doubt potential NHL teams give two hoots what Rychel thinks.
I'd put money on the fact that Shero was very happy when Kuhnhackl finally made it over to Windsor (assuming you're a Pens fan). He probably had many conversations with him. Guys like Rychel, Boughner, Hunter etc. have a lot of connections with NHL execs.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
The description and the actual article vary enough that I'd advise commentors to read the full article first, or very likely face a future not playing in the NHL.
I don't think they were too far off, but I digress:

Quote:
“His agents think (Dubuque) is where he should be playing and he‘s very loyal to that program,” Hamilton told the Kelowna Daily Courier. “But I know as soon as he‘s drafted, the NHL team‘s not going to want him in Dubuque and they‘re not going to want him going to the University of Vermont, either.”
Quote:
“I think he’s making a mistake in not exploring his options,” Rychel told The Windsor Star. “College is the right decision for some guys, but a guy like that, we’re the one that going to get you prepared for the NHL.”

Old
10-25-2011, 05:54 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
What is your take on these CHL execs using the media in this manner as some sort of recruitment tactic to get these players to report to major junior?
I think convincing players to play in the best development league, the best route, is great. Hope they keep it up.

Kelowna's GM is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Either these comments were not meant to be printed when they were said, and/or the teams need to shut their mouths.
Or there is nothing wrong with them.

As for your question of why, that really shouldn't need much of an explanation. It's their job to do what's best for their team as General Manager.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:04 PM
wej20

Quote:
I'd put money on the fact that Shero was very happy when Kuhnhackl finally made it over to Windsor (assuming you're a Pens fan). He probably had many conversations with him. Guys like Rychel, Boughner, Hunter etc. have a lot of connections with NHL execs.
I have no doubt Shero was very happy that Kuhn made it over to Windsor (though I think he'd have been happy if he'd made it over to any CHL team). Pens have Tom Fitzgerald who talks to the prospects, their coaches and GMs etcetera. Lots of CHL GMs do have connections with NHL execs and it certainly helps a CHL GM in the future if he did well with a prospect from a certain NHL team. GMs who like their prospects to go the CHL route are doing so because they believe it's the best development route not because of existing relationships with coaches IMO. Should be noted that Shero isn't a GM who pushes prospects to go the CHL route.

Last edited by wej20: 10-25-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old
10-25-2011, 06:22 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

From my perspective, it's fine for these CHL teams to openly recruit and scrutinize in the media. As long as they keep their mouth's shut when whatever NHL team that drafts these players pulls them out of their program early to give the higher end players an extended look at the NHL level.

Which is something that hasn't been the case...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:39 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
I'm not saying I don't understand the teams wanting to protect their best interests. However, I do remember what it was like to be a teenager... and I can even remember the pressures I felt at school, nevermind being called out publicly.

Granted, these kids aren't ordinary, but they ARE kids. Using the media to apply pressure is just a sophisticated form of bullying, on someone who might still be too young to realize or understand what he wants to do in life.

What's most insulting is I don't like a team pretending like they are looking out for the player's best interest when they are clearly looking out for their own, and their tactics show that.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
From my perspective, it's fine for these CHL teams to openly recruit and scrutinize in the media. As long as they keep their mouth's shut when whatever NHL team that drafts these players pulls them out of their program early to give the higher end players an extended look at the NHL level.

Which is something that hasn't been the case...
Well those are diffrent situations. CHL executives want players to know their leagues are the best development routes. When CHL coaches/executives complain about their players in the NHL, it's usually that they think they aren't getting enough ice time and they could be rushed. GMs and coaches are happy to see their players do well in the NHL.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:53 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
No its not tampering sure there are top notce ncaa teams just as there are top notch major jr teams.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote