HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Does Pierre Gauthier have "Carte Blanche" like Gainey did?

Old
10-25-2011, 12:40 PM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
Does Pierre Gauthier have "Carte Blanche" like Gainey did?

I am wondering, if Montreal does TANK and finish at the bottom of the conference, does Pierre Gauthier have "Carte Blanche" for all player moves a la Bob Gainey with George Gillet or does he have to present the proposal to Geoff Molson?

I am interested to know because I can see Montreal starting to "sell" as early as the holiday trade freeze in December if things continue this way and possibly even ask some players to waive there NMC's (no movement clauses).

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Well, Molson isn't same management as George. He probably has to present a plan if he's doing massive retooling. I doubt he needs to ask permission for every single move, but if he makes a firesale, than yeah, he's gotta let owners know what route his taking. I think this is obvious.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I am wondering, if Montreal does TANK and finish at the bottom of the conference, does Pierre Gauthier have "Carte Blanche" for all player moves a la Bob Gainey with George Gillet or does he have to present the proposal to Geoff Molson?

I am interested to know because I can see Montreal starting to "sell" as early as the holiday trade freeze in December if things continue this way and possibly even ask some players to waive there NMC's (no movement clauses).
"tanking" is an HF term. NHL teams don't really do it. A team that is well out of the playoffs in January February will try and move some of it's expiring contracts...but that's totally different than this unrealistic concept taht keeps getting thrown around.

Do you think last year's Oilers were "tanking" to get Ryan Hopkins? Do you honestly think that they were PLANNING to finish last?

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:01 PM
The Right Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Do you think last year's Oilers were "tanking" to get Ryan Hopkins? Do you honestly think that they were PLANNING to finish last?
After New Years... probably subconsciously yes.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Marchy79

After the lack of success. NOBODY save for the great young kids we have should have carte blanche

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

If I get where you are going with this, then, yes, I expect disappointment come firesale (deadline) time

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:17 PM
habitue*

I thought Gainey was still hiding up there, making the decisons...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:18 PM
PunkinDrublic*

I am just curious as to how many of these Tank question threads we really need here ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:27 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Honestly I hope he doesn't...I don't trust Gauthier's judgement at all. His job as a pro scout was beyond horrible in the Gainey days, and I have no faith in his judgement of player ability.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:21 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Honestly I hope he doesn't...I don't trust Gauthier's judgement at all. His job as a pro scout was beyond horrible in the Gainey days, and I have no faith in his judgement of player ability.
While I think PG has been ok to this point. I feel the same way. I don't trust this management anymore than the last.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote